'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Just how close is Buzz to landing a star big?  (Read 17701 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Just how close is Buzz to landing a star big?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
http://painttouches.com/2013/07/25/just-how-close-is-buzz-williams-to-landing-a-star-big/

Paint Touches seems to be really excited that Buzz has offered scholarships to the top centers in the class. Yippeeee. You can offer all you want. Wake me when one of those studs accepts.

And no, I don't believe any of them will (and yes, that includes Stone).

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
Their articles in the offseason aren't really worth reading its just opinion pieces filled with rampant speculation. My favorite was about Buzz' most important HS recruiting class...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
Offering a stud big means little when guys like Turner are trimming their lists from 50 to 30. We do seem to be getting closer, but Looney and Zimmerman seem to be off our radar already and I'm not convinced we'll be there at the end for either Turner or Okonoboh.

Buzz is still heavy on Stone, and watching his pursuit (or lack thereof) of Tokoto and Looney, I'm convinced he wouldn't be pursuing if he didn't feel he had a solid chance. That doesn't mean we'll land him, but of the names mentioned, he's the one we seem most serious with. Though as we saw with Embiid, that doesn't always work out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »

Paint Touches seems to be really excited that Buzz has offered scholarships to the top centers in the class. Yippeeee. You can offer all you want. Wake me when one of those studs accepts.

And no, I don't believe any of them will (and yes, that includes Stone).
He better land Stone with all the advantages he has, including recruiting a friend/teammate, or a similar talent.

And now comes the onslaught of namecalling/excuse making of its no big deal if he does not, we will be just fine, yadda yadda.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
We won't get Stone. He made some comment about wanting to go to a team that feeds the Big Man and wins recently. Wisconsin stands a better chance sadly.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
We won't get Stone. He made some comment about wanting to go to a team that feeds the Big Man and wins recently. Wisconsin stands a better chance sadly.

But they've just shot incessant threes and lost recently. 

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
He better land Stone with all the advantages he has, including recruiting a friend/teammate, or a similar talent.

And now comes the onslaught of namecalling/excuse making of its no big deal if he does not, we will be just fine, yadda yadda.

You act like recruits don't have any predispositions in the matter and simply the best coach at recruiting wins out; I guy could be born and raised in chapel hill and be the top recruit in the country, but if he doesn't want to attend unc or has some other future in mind, does that make the unc coach a bad recruiter or speak poorly to their program?  This comment is absurd.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

How would that take us out of the equation? Not saying we'll get him, but both Gardner and CO have had plenty of opportunity getting fed in the post.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

I saw that too, I don't think that hurts us at all.  I'm pretty comfortable saying that if we get Stone he is going to get the ball, a lot, and we are going to win, a lot.  I still think chances are slim that we actually land him though.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
Have you seen Becky play? They feed their big man the ball outside of the arc and haven't won sheet--recently or historically.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
I think when you think of MU you think of guards. I know we can win and will get our bigs the ball, but I think we're not one of THE programs you associate with that type of play. Gtown with its history with bigs is more that style you think of Gtown you think Ewing, Mourning,  and Hibbert with MU you think Wade Butler Wes if not just Wade

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
Soooo many negative nancy comments out and about.

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
I think this upcoming season for Davante could be key for the future recruiting of big men. If he goes out there next year, shows more improvement and ends up first-team all big east/gets some national recognition, it could be very beneficial in landing Stone, Ellenson, etc. Most importantly, if Davante ended up getting drafted, it could be an enormous boost to our recruiting efforts. Ideally, we would make a deep run in the tourney with Davante dominating in order to demonstrate that Marquette is a school where bigs can come, improve each year, and be fed the ball consistently. Obviously this is wishful thinking, but I don't think it is too far out of the realm of possibility.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:02:20 PM by netty24 »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
Wake me when one of those studs accepts.
Deal, but only if that means you aren't able to write obnoxious things on MUSCOOP while you're asleep.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
I think this upcoming season for Davante could be key for the future recruiting of big men. If he goes out there next year, shows more improvement and ends up first-team all big east/gets some national recognition, it could be very beneficial in landing Stone, Ellenson, etc. Most importantly, if Davante ended up getting drafted, it could be an enormous boost to our recruiting efforts. Ideally, we would make a deep run in the tourney with Davante dominating in order to demonstrate that Marquette is a school where bigs can come, improve each year, and be fed the ball consistently. Obviously this is wishful thinking, but I don't think it is too far out of the realm of possibility.

Netty I agree to an extent but the fact of the matter is Davante worked his ASS off to get here and was a diamond in the rough for us. Big men, even ones that are ranked very high pan out at a lower rate than any other position it seems. Take Josh Smith from UCLA, guy was ranked high and did nothing. Miss State Renardo Sidney huge recruit that wasn't that amazing in the end. These guys are tough to evaluate for the next level and even when people evaluate them as future studs it often doesn't pan out. I am fine getting those guys that work like Davante.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »
With the center position open next year, I expect an off the radar recruit from JC land to show up at the door unless a smart top player realizes how good they could be if he showed
up to MU.

Wilson or Wilson, Dawson
Mayo, Anderson or Johnson
Burton or either of the 2 above, Malek Harris
McKay and Taylor
Center- I think there is PT time here and the rest of the team will be pretty good.

One player away from being really good in 2014!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 03:20:28 PM »
Deal, but only if that means you aren't able to write obnoxious things on MUSCOOP while you're asleep.

BOOM Roasted!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
But they've just shot incessant threes and lost recently. 
Stone said he was going to work on his 3 point shooting this summer. That has UW written all over it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
Have you seen Becky play? They feed their big man the ball outside of the arc and haven't won sheet--recently or historically.

Agreed.  He should only go to Becky if he wants to be fed the ball 20 feet from the hoop.  My guess is that he's actually talking about getting fed the ball inside -- something we've done pretty well with Davante and Chris.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
Stone said he was going to work on his 3 point shooting this summer. That has UW written all over it.

As a top two post player in his class that means one and done.  Stone won't get NBA lottery status by floating out to the three point line and chucking threes within the Swing his freshman year.  See Butch, Brian, a McDonald's AA.  And Stiemsma, Greg who couldn't even crack UW's lineup. Stiesmsa's NBA success, making it as a post-up player post-Bo, and Butch's NBA flops, have to be the biggest negatives for a potential top UW center recruit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:35:00 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
I think when you think of MU you think of guards. I know we can win and will get our bigs the ball, but I think we're not one of THE programs you associate with that type of play. Gtown with its history with bigs is more that style you think of Gtown you think Ewing, Mourning,  and Hibbert with MU you think Wade Butler Wes if not just Wade

chicken or egg.  We don't get good bigs because we don't feed them the ball or we don't feed them the ball because we don't have good bigs?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
BOOM Roasted!

Yeah, he really told me off, huh??? ::)

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »

...And Marquette doesn't feed DG?  I'm not saying he's coming, but I would think Stone has enough confidence in his game that he knows he could dominate in the MU offense.  I guessed I missed the Weasels' incredibly better season last year.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
...And Marquette doesn't feed DG?  I'm not saying he's coming, but I would think Stone has enough confidence in his game that he knows he could dominate in the MU offense.  I guessed I missed the Weasels' incredibly better season last year.

Seriously - the idea that we don't feed the post is as antiquated as the printing press. It went the way of the dodo when Acker & the Cubillionaire graduated (loved their senior year though). This is now an equal opportunity offense - if you can score, you're gonna get touches, no matter what position you play.