* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Opinion: Marquette will miss what Anderson could have been  (Read 9369 times)

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
Two years ago Juan Anderson told me, "I felt like Marquette was the place for me." It still is. My commentary on his transfer after two seasons: http://painttouches.com/2013/04/26/marquette-will-miss-what-anderson-could-have-been/

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Nice article, Mark.  I agree - Juan could have had a nice role on next year's team, and been a key contributor his senior season.  I hope things work out for him closer to home.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I agree, Strotty. Not only was Juan just coming into his own, he is legit just a great guy.  I had the opportunity to meet Juan on a few occasions, and he is truly just a great guy. Really, really bummed about him leaving - I have been a big fan of his since the highlight reels in HS.  So much so that I put him in my user name before he was even on campus.

I really do wish him all the best. MU will be just fine without him, but I think you're right in saying that he would have been a star by the time he was a senior.  It really is too bad.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
Not only next year, but his senior year.   You can never have too many high character glue guys.   Juan will be missed. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
Must admit I now am mildly disappointed he is leaving. Probably more because he appears to be good kid and fit program well.

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
Must admit I now am mildly disappointed he is leaving. Probably more because he appears to be good kid and fit program well.

All said, it's a sad situation.  It makes me wonder about the ethics of our program.  Winning is important but not at the expense of running over young men.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
All said, it's a sad situation.  It makes me wonder about the ethics of our program.  Winning is important but not at the expense of running over young men.

Or Juan had a family situation to tend to...and was fully supported by MU and the Athletics/basketball program....

Sunbelt15

• All American
Not only next year, but his senior year.   You can never have too many high character glue guys.   Juan will be missed. 

Agree!

ceh

• Starter

No way was Juan asked to leave! He chose family and guaranteed minutes.

esotericmindguy

• All American
If JJJ is as good as advertised then Juan wouldn't even have see the floor. What does he do well? He can't shoot, pass, dribble, rebound or defend any better than average BE talent. I personally think he made the right decision, he'll probably end up at one of the California state schools and flourish.

MUfan12

• All American

Don't be an idiot.

I can assure you he had a very good reason to want to be near family at this time.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
If JJJ is as good as advertised then Juan wouldn't even have see the floor. What does he do well? He can't shoot, pass, dribble, rebound or defend any better than average BE talent. I personally think he made the right decision, he'll probably end up at one of the California state schools and flourish.

Frosh. rarely make a significant impact.

Juan would've played.

He would have been valuable.

Aughnanure

• All American
Frosh. rarely make a significant impact.

Juan would've played.

He would have been valuable.

Except that time we had 3 start from game 1. JJJ will get loads of minutes. Juan chose correctly based on getting guaranteed playing time at least.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Goose

• All American
Guns

We are going to have three freshmen play a lot this upcoming season. I expect to see a very young lineup often.

GGGG

• All American
The headline is completely accurate...they will miss what he *could* have been.  No guarantees, but fans discount players too quickly, and anoint replacements too quickly as well.

4everwarriors

• All American
From all indications, Juan was a great teammate and competitor but how any one could be disappointed with what appears to be an obvious upgrade in talent level is puzzling.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
From all indications, Juan was a great teammate and competitor but how any one could be disappointed with what appears to be an obvious upgrade in talent level is puzzling.

How have we upgraded talent?  Who has MU replaced Juan with?

4everwarriors

• All American
Burton, McKay, Du Wilson, JJJ are all significantly better on paper than Anderson ever presented. In addition, Buzz likely will offer his remaining scholarship for the upcoming season
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Burton, McKay, Du Wilson, JJJ are all significantly better on paper than Anderson ever presented. In addition, Buzz likely will offer his remaining scholarship for the upcoming season

That's a silly statement. Juan Anderson was the #81 RSCI player in his class. As of the last RSCI rankings, our incoming class included #52 Burton, #57 Johnson, and #60 Wilson. It might be a slight step up, but acting as though 20-30 spots is some landslide difference is ridiculous.

None of the incoming players have done as much at the D1 level as Juan has, nor have any of them demonstrated conclusively that they ever match the potential Juan has already reached. While we can all hope they will, acting as though we've already upgraded over a top-100 guy that was Marquette's top-rated 2011 recruit simply on potential is nothing more than typical Scoop overestimating expectations for new players.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American

On paper doesn't necessarily mean they will actually be better.  Juan was a top 100 guy too remember.  So this is exactly what I mean by not having enough patience with players and giving them a chance to develop.

But also, we were going to have all of those players AND Juan.  Buzz hasn't replaced him yet.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days

Hahahahahaha...that is all.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
Talent is one thing and experience is another. In my opinion Juan's experience would of offset any increase in talent level. JJJ is probably a better offensive player, but if he cannot play defense he will not see the floor. The same goes for Burton, Wilson, Dawson and McKay.

RawdogDX

• All American

Agreed.  I'm more disappointed in his lack of contributions in the first place.  Not enough pt with this next class.

Aughnanure

• All American

How have we upgraded talent?  Who has MU replaced Juan with?

Jameel. He'd get time at the 4/3 like he did this year, but probably less that last year as Taylor and Jameel will take a lot of that time from him. I just don't think it was enough playing time for him personally. He would definitely have been valuable piece.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:04:43 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
Jameel. He'd get time at the 4/3 like he did this year, but probably less that last year as Taylor and Jameel will take a lot of that time from him. I just don't think it was enough playing time for him personally. He would definitely have been valuable piece.

Jameel was committed already.  I am being very literal.  Who have we replaced Juan with?