'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Did I hear booing in the Bradley Center?  (Read 7750 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Did I hear booing in the Bradley Center?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
I am not hip with the phrases.  What is "keep it 100?

I was going to ask what GTST meant?  Is that like good times and the SH@# times?

groove

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
Anyone remember the Dave Chappelle 'Keepin' It Real' Skit

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 11:51:05 PM »
I was going to ask what GTST meant?  Is that like good times and the SH@# times?

Grind Together Shine Together.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

C League Champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »
I'm sorry, but all of you complaining about the boo's you heard tonight is pathetic. The crowd tried to get into the game on numerous occasions only to result in a costly turnover.  This team has players who are 18-22 yrs old receiving a FREE education worth upwards of 200k during their time at Marquette.  I'm sure a few boo's shouldn't hurt their precious feelings too much, especially with the effort and execution displayed tonight during a must-win game.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
I'm sorry, but all of you complaining about the boo's you heard tonight is pathetic. The crowd tried to get into the game on numerous occasions only to result in a costly turnover.  This team has players who are 18-22 yrs old receiving a FREE education worth upwards of 200k during their time at Marquette.  I'm sure a few boo's shouldn't hurt their precious feelings too much, especially with the effort and execution displayed tonight during a must-win game.

My stance on booing is who is it booing?  If it is students or young twenty somethings I can probably let it slide.  For a thirty something or above to boo young kids... well, you simply lack class.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:12 AM »
I've never left an MU game early before tonight. I heard the boos, and was ashamed of those. Wasn't my section, but they were present, even if only a smattering. But god, I couldn't watch the end of that. I was still in the building at the final buzzer, but I just felt like the team accepted their fate out there tonight. And I couldn't watch that.

Took the words right out of my mouth.  That's the first conference game I've ever left early. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
I don't agree with booing at all. I don't care if they are getting a free education. If they are working hard, and they were, booing is simply uncalled for.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
I sit next to the student section.  I'd say 70% of the boos were coming from the students.

You don't boo your own team. 

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
Matches the half-hearted, unenthusiastic effort of the coaches and players.

I moved down from my normal seats (400's) to sit with in a friends parents seats, a few rows off court, for the second half and you could actually see the difference in the effort between the two teams. MU looked completely uninspired last night. There was no intensity in their eyes. Buzz and his assistants are still massively in need of figuring out how to get these kids to play a full 40 minutes.

real fans don't boo, but if there was ever a reason to it was, unfortunately, last night.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
Just so I'm clear - it is fine for Joe Fulce to call out the fans, but not ok for fans to call out the players.

Booing (normal booing, not swearing or making it personal) is one of the only means fans have for voicing frustration.  Perhaps those against booing would prefer that fans not show up and spend money - both things which help support the team more than a little booing brings them down.

You can't have it both ways, either they are "kids" or this is "big time college athletics".  There aren't a lot of fan sites like this dedicated to 8 year old YMCA leagues, because the stage is different.  The players knew what they signed up for. Again, not saying buying a ticket allows you to do whatever you want, but a little booing is not a big deal, and hopefully sends the message to team that their play is not acceptable.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
You can't have it both ways, either they are "kids" or this is "big time college athletics".  There aren't a lot of fan sites like this dedicated to 8 year old YMCA leagues, because the stage is different.  The players knew what they signed up for. Again, not saying buying a ticket allows you to do whatever you want, but a little booing is not a big deal, and hopefully sends the message to team that their play is not acceptable.

Hopefully it also sends a message to recruits about what awaits them and their growing pains.  Recognize the consequences of your actions.

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
No other college team has ever been booed, my mistake.

I also think this is more than just growing pains.  Gardner and Blue have the right to growing pains. 

The rest of the team has played on this stage before and knows what it takes to win.  Lately they haven't done enough things right to accomplish that.  Senior laden teams are a rarity, and this team has a good distribution of older and younger players.  Growing pains are a part of every season, not an excuse to play terrible defense more than halfway through the conference schedule.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:48:52 AM by Marquette_g »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
No other college team has ever been booed, my mistake.

than knock yourself out rooting for one of them. i didnt know we compared ourselves to other, crapty fanbases.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
Hopefully it also sends a message to recruits about what awaits them and their growing pains.  Recognize the consequences of your actions.

Tokoto says "see you later Marquette"
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Marquette_g

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:54 AM »
Thanks for the advice Pollyanna

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
I was ashamed at the Boos last night, completely unacceptable.  This wasn't a bucks game!

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 02:38:04 PM »

I was at the game.....the crowd was dead from the opening tip

"The crowd tried to get into the game on numerous occasions...."  I don't know what game you were watching but that was not the case....

I can imagine how hard it must have been for this team to get pumped up playing in front of an extremely lackluster crowd and a splattering of boos....
which, by the way, was totally uncalled for  >:(

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »
I sit next to the student section.  I'd say 70% of the boos were coming from the students.

Kind of surprises me, as they are not only your team, but often times your classmates, friends, and certainly your peers.  That's a shame.  I thought it would be someone shelling out a bunch of cabbage and frustrated by the money they are spending.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »

I was at the game.....the crowd was dead from the opening tip

"The crowd tried to get into the game on numerous occasions...."  I don't know what game you were watching but that was not the case....

I was mentioning to a friend that multiple times the crowd started to rumble and some incident quickly quieted the crowd:

• Time Outs by St. John's
  • Injury to St. John's player
  • Media timeouts on multiple occasions
  • Some clock issue or the like where the ref's stopped the game for over 3 minutes

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Kind of surprises me, as they are not only your team, but often times your classmates, friends, and certainly your peers.  That's a shame.  I thought it would be someone shelling out a bunch of cabbage and frustrated by the money they are spending.

Not surprised to hear that most boos were from the students. The MU student section has an incredibly low basketball IQ, not to mention that most of the current students know nothing about MU basketball prior to 2007, if that. We live in an incredibly impatient sports world where fans think that they deserve a team that always wins and if they lose, it obviously because they're a bunch of bums who don't deserve to wear the uniform...and the coach should be fired.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »
I was mentioning to a friend that multiple times the crowd started to rumble and some incident quickly quieted the crowd:

• Time Outs by St. John's
  • Injury to St. John's player
  • Media timeouts on multiple occasions
  • Some clock issue or the like where the ref's stopped the game for over 3 minutes

You forgot to mention the quick 5-0, 7-0, etc runs by St. John's. Those didn't help either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
Not surprised to hear that most boos were from the students. The MU student section has an incredibly low basketball IQ, not to mention that most of the current students know nothing about MU basketball prior to 2007, if that. We live in an incredibly impatient sports world where fans think that they deserve a team that always wins and if they lose, it obviously because they're a bunch of bums who don't deserve to wear the uniform...and the coach should be fired.

Agree on all counts.  Many of the postings from current students here pretty much prove your point.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 03:32:55 PM »
I am going to take a completely different view on the booing. Hate me if you want, but I don’t see the boos as a negative thing. First, Those who are booing at the game are at least there are into the game. Secondly, if the team is representing Marquette, and I'm someone who either goes to Marquette, or graduated from Marquette I am not being represented they way I want to be. I missed the game, but it sounds like once again there was a lack of effort and heart. I don’t know about you, but that is not how I want to be represented. Finally, almost every person who comes and post here has said something negative at one point or another. Those who don’t come here have no way to vent their frustration and anger there for they boo. I think everyone holds Marquette Basketball at a pretty high level and this year has been a bit of a disappointment. That’s where the Boos come from and it’s not that big of a deal.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 03:38:26 PM »

It was a soft boo from the students.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

Good points

feedback