* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time for Mitchell to go?  (Read 12377 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Time for Mitchell to go?
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
just asking,  seems the program has stagnated

🏀

• All American
Re: Time for Mitchell to go?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:20:35 PM »
Please explain yourself because that is a retarded statement.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »
You mean the Mike Deane of Women's Basketball?

She survived in the shadow of TC...his success covered up that she only won with Jim Jabir's players.  And then her once every 4 year successful seasons. 

Cue her defenders...

Sure she's a great person...Mike Deane was a great guy and one of my favorite people ever; but brass tacks, if she was held to the same standard that Deane-o was, she'd be gone faster than you could say Abby & Lisa.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:49:44 AM »
DKCL...sometimes I think we share the same brain.  You continue to bring the noise and make the sense.

Happy NYE all.

Schoolyard out.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »
Please explain yourself because that is a retarded statement.

well since it was over your head i will explain;  Is it too much to expect Mu women to be a competitvie BBall program that can regualrly expect to mke the Ncaa's?  Best player in the history of the program and we will miss the NCaa's two years in a row.  Recruiting is abysmal.  And we just lost to UWM

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
I thought they won the NIT last year. Now let us get back to real basketball.

Dave Andrews

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
This is unfair to Coach Mitchell and the Women's program. Since joining BEAST, Conference records, including BE tournament, Women 31-22, Men 34-22. Overall record, Women 69-32. Men 74-31.

When added to the fact that the Women's team always plays a VASTLY superior non-conference schedule, there should be no negative comparisons between the 2 programs.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
They just need a Big Woman to controll the boards.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »

I thought the tradition and success of MU was enough to make the coach. Success is assured because of the program--not the skills of the coach.  Any old "nobody" can be plucked out of nowhere and get to the final four, right?

So tell us, why hasn't MU "made" Terri Mitchell?  Isn't the tradition and history enough to guarantee success?

Oh, wait--that's right.  You disappeared from THAT debate without offering any specifics--as predicted.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:30 PM »
Good NYE Joanie?  Did Tom take you to Outback or some other fancy Bloomington restaurant to celebrate?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
well since it was over your head i will explain;  Is it too much to expect Mu women to be a competitvie BBall program that can regualrly expect to mke the Ncaa's?  Best player in the history of the program and we will miss the NCaa's two years in a row.  Recruiting is abysmal.  And we just lost to UWM

The simple reality is this.  MU women do have a competitive program, especially in light of what they were.  Sister Pares anyone?  Wow, was that bad.  The administration loves her, she has routinely beat UWM (which is a pretty good program) and Wisconsin, though this year MU lost to both. The criticisms are not without merit, however.  If she were the men's coach, it wouldn't be tolerated.  Then again, she's not the men's coach nor is it the men's program.

MU is already spending a TON of money on women's hoops which loses money.  Only Men's hoops makes money.  If you change, it means probably increasing that budget even more, not sure MU is interested in going down that road right now.

The team is competitive, no academic issues, plays in a tough tough conference, won the NIT last year, and has certainly had it's share of post season teams over the years.  I doubt she goes anywhere unless it is of her choosing.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
I'm not here to defend or condemn the women's program or their coach. But, I can tell you that this year's team is both young and injured (ACL to a player that was heavily counted on).
I doubt very much if Mitchell is in trouble jobwise. I do know that she has interviewed for other head coaching positions and for one reason or another either didn't get the job or chose to remain at MU.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
chicos i think you are right.  obviously not the focus or the demands placed on the woman's program as the men's.    However, if the trend continues down then the question begins of "when is the time"  which is what I asked with no preconceived answer.

Now as far as MU84 ...dude you are a stalker.  The womens' program needs an architect to take it to the next level.  They do not have the tradion of the mens program.  We are discussing black and white here, not that you would ever let that get in your defense of your boyfriend or that you would allow facts or reason to get in the way of your lust for a coach over a program. 

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:46:50 PM »
The "best player in the programs history" managed 6 whole points, missed the front end of a 1 and 1 which would have sealed the game, and then bobbled a steal on the other end which led to the foul that ultimately won the game for UWM.

Not the coaches fault.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
chicos i think you are right.  obviously not the focus or the demands placed on the woman's program as the men's.    However, if the trend continues down then the question begins of "when is the time"  which is what I asked with no preconceived answer.

Now as far as MU84 ...dude you are a stalker.  The womens' program needs an architect to take it to the next level.  They do not have the tradion of the mens program.  We are discussing black and white here, not that you would ever let that get in your defense of your boyfriend or that you would allow facts or reason to get in the way of your lust for a coach over a program. 

No stalking here--I read every thread.  If you post something I'll come across it, just like any other thread.  I'd say less than 5% of my posts have been in response to you.

Meanwhile, I'm questioning why you would think that we need a change of women's coach, given your statement below that the program makes the coach--not vice versa. 

Your answer is that the men's tradition doesn't carry over to the women.  That's about as weak as one can come up with.  Doesn't the national reputation of MU still apply?  Aren't we still on ESPN?  Aren't the women in the Big East.

You are a hypocrite for suggesting that coaching matters for the women, but not for the men.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to understand how you and your ilk undermine the Marquette program.  It starts with the bogus whispering campaign--"Time for Mitchell to go?"

When its pointed out that Mitchell has been successful, has had players injured this year, and basically exposing your comment for what it is, you come back and try and claim that you had "no preconcieved answer."

That, madam, is pure unadulterated b*llsh*t.  Not sufficient to question the mens program, you're now trying to undermine the women.

What next?  Golf?  Soccer?  The English Department?

Bottom line is that Terri Mitchell is the best women's coach the program has ever had.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:23:24 PM by Marquette84 »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 05:42:49 PM »
i will repeat for the dense...two different programs ...two different situations....dude you are scary.  any old girlfriends or boyfriends out there with restraining orders?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »
No MR.HAYWARD, you are the scary one.  You generally jump from thread to thread, bashing former and current coaches and when faced with actual facts and questions you name call and disappear. 

I asked you days ago about exact comments Crean made about former players and older alumni.  Marquette84 refuted your comments with actual data about attendance, but surprise you moved on to another thread and ignored how you just got dominated.

It's not being stalker, all we are doing are asking follow up questions.  If you don't want people to call you out, don't make opinionated comments and try to pass them off as fact.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »
if you say so    :o

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
No stalking here--I read every thread.  If you post something I'll come across it, just like any other thread.  I'd say less than 5% of my posts have been in response to you.

Meanwhile, I'm questioning why you would think that we need a change of women's coach, given your statement below that the program makes the coach--not vice versa. 

Your answer is that the men's tradition doesn't carry over to the women.  That's about as weak as one can come up with.  Doesn't the national reputation of MU still apply?  Aren't we still on ESPN?  Aren't the women in the Big East.

You are a hypocrite for suggesting that coaching matters for the women, but not for the men.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to understand how you and your ilk undermine the Marquette program.  It starts with the bogus whispering campaign--"Time for Mitchell to go?"

When its pointed out that Mitchell has been successful, has had players injured this year, and basically exposing your comment for what it is, you come back and try and claim that you had "no preconcieved answer."

That, madam, is pure unadulterated b*llsh*t.  Not sufficient to question the mens program, you're now trying to undermine the women.

What next?  Golf?  Soccer?  The English Department?

Bottom line is that Terri Mitchell is the best women's coach the program has ever had.

Absolutely bizarre. You have taken your love affair with Tom Crean to another level.

When you take off your crimson and cream knee pads, please compare the tradition and appeal of men's and women's basketball programs (or English departments) of UCLA, North Carolina, Kansas, INDIANA!, Georgetown, Villanova, Illinois, Wisconsin, Louisville, Memphis...should I go on? Are you suggesting that because the men's programs at those schools are "name" programs, that it follows that the women's programs are too?  I don't even believe you think that's what MR. HAYWARD ever said.

The idea that the men's basketball program Marquette "made" your bunk mate is absolutely valid...and we will soon find out if that is accurate.

You've sunk to arguing points you don't even believe to be true. Weird. Just plain weird.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 08:04:43 PM »
There is no reason to argue about below-the-rim basketball.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »
i will repeat for the dense...two different programs ...two different situations....

Look at it this way--for most of the 70's and early 80s, there were at least 100 programs that were better than Marquette (and I'm being charitable with that estimate).

That means there are 100 programs that have a stronger reputation and stronger tradition.

Those programs can bring in "a nobody" as their coach and ride their reputation to stay ahead of MU, right?  MU doesn't have the reputation or history for women's basketball, but SOMEBODY does, right?  Which means it would be very difficult for us to move up.

Funny, now you're implying that coaching can help us win games for the women's team--yet if we extend your logic, ND, UConn, Rutgers, Texas, Texas A&M, Clemson, UNC, Tennessee, etc,. have such storied traditions that they can hire a "nobody" the program will "make" those coaches.  

Here's my take:
Terri Mitchell has taken a program with no heritage or tradition, just 2 NCAA and 1 NIT post-season bids (which occurred when she was an assistant coach), and an all time 247-298 record (41.5%).  On this tradition-less and heritage-free program she has delivered a 247-135 (64.7%) record with 10 post season appearances (6 NCAA, 4 NIT).    

I think she's earned the right to work through a rough patch without having her job called into question.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
This season has been a huge disappointment so far and I just can't get myself excited about another WNIT appearance which is where they're headed at this point.  But I don't think Mitchell's job is on the line right now nor should it be in my opinion.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
The idea that the men's basketball program Marquette "made" your bunk mate is absolutely valid...and we will soon find out if that is accurate.

My only love is for Marquette.  ANd it's really starting to bug me that Mr. Hayward and his ilk, that are starting to look like  they'll do the same thing to Buzz Willams and Terri Mitchell that they did to Tom Crean.  

But next time you're whispering sweet nothings in Mr. Haywards ear, ask him this:  If MU makes the coach, why did Crean succeed where Raymonds, Majerus, Dukiet, and Deane failed?  I think that's a reasonable question, and if you and/or Hayward have any decency, you'd answer it.

Any way you cut it, only two coaches in the post-McGuire era have left the program in better shape--and one clearly used MU as a stepping stone.  The other was driven out by those who were uncomfortable sharing credit for MU's success.    

And Terri Mitchell is so overwhelmingly better than any other coach in MU history that its a travesty that some think it's time to question whethr its time for her to go.

No matter how much you hate the guy, the MU program was in much better shape the day Tom Crean left than the day he arrived.  

And no matter how much you hate Terri Mitchell, the program is in much better shape today than the day SHE arrived.

Hayward (and you, and the others of your ilk) have no basis for your criticism.  And whenever you're presented with facts, you disappear.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:25:05 PM by Marquette84 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

Like Chicos said, Women's basketball does not make the school money but in fact loses money.  Are you prepared to donate money to the program to give them more resources or a better coach?  Do you really feel the program will lose less money and increase attendance if a new coach gets them to the NCAAs more often?  I don't.  Since our program is hardly an embarassment, but has risen to relevance while Mitchell has coached I think it meets the expectations of most.  If some want more, what are they willing to pay for it?  Most people would probably say that if given the choice of a single seed higher in the NCAAs for the men's team or the women's team just making the NCAAs instead of the NIT, they would want every advantage they can give the men's team.  Since that decision also seems to be the better one financially, it's likely the status quo for the women's team is going to remain and is sufficient to most.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
My big concern with the women's team this year(and granted I don't follow it that closely) is it was thought to be and even said by Coach Mitchell herself at MM I believe(and MarquetteFan please correct me if this statement is inaccurate), her deepest and most talented team since she's been at MU. Well, if that is the case, what's the problem?? The talent is there.....so.......
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »
wow!!  this MU84 guy is areal freak.  Hate Terri Mitchell??  wow  dont hate the lady dont even know her?  simply posed the question of when is it time to consider.  The team has definitely trended down the last year and a half and the recruitng is currently abyssmal.  A question and staement like that could spark a two sided discussion ont he pros and cons of her recent career, a discussion about the economics and finances as Chicos discusses.  yet MU 84 goes cookoo and Brings his boyfriend into it.  lastly, undermoning the program with a whisper campagin.  first of ALL WHO IS WHISPEERING!!  i LOVE THE CAHARACTER AND PERSONALITY BUZZ HAS BROUGHT TO THE PROGRAM definitely a refreser compared to the last coach.  He is also a better coach already and a better recruiter than our past caoch.  never will buzz have the worfst front court due to his recruitng for 4 staright years like that clown provided for us.  Go lipscomb!!!!!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
My big concern with the women's team this year(and granted I don't follow it that closely) is it was thought to be and even said by Coach Mitchell herself at MM I believe(and MarquetteFan please correct me if this statement is inaccurate), her deepest and most talented team since she's been at MU. Well, if that is the case, what's the problem?? The talent is there.....so.......

I wasn't at MM so I'm not sure what was said there.  I'm not sure about this being her deepest or most talented team since Mitchell's been here.  But I certainly expected a lot more than this.  I was expecting maybe two non-conference losses and I certainly didn't expect them to lose at home to 2 Horizon League teams.  They played a lot better during the WNIT than they had in the regular season last year and they haven't been able to carry over what they had going in the WNIT into this season.  They have a lot of issues this season - inconsistency and bigtime offensive woes are some of the big ones.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
I wasn't at MM so I'm not sure what was said there.  I'm not sure about this being her deepest or most talented team since Mitchell's been here. 

I heard her say nearly as much on Homer's show.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »
There is no reason to argue about below-the-rim basketball.

Ouch.  It's fine if you don't care about women's basketball or sports in general, but betch, please!!--guess you've never heard of Candace Parker?!  And yes, she's graduated, but still.

As for the topic:  really random, btw, and furthermore, why didn't you go pick on Patty Rolf if you're going to pick on women's head coaches/teams not succeeding/head coaches up & leaving, and FURTHERMORE why not start railing on Louis Bennett?? now there's a pseudoembarrassment!  I don't think the men have had a winning record for the past 5 years, so please start defending or destroying his honor ad infinitum. 

I am pretty sure Terri Mitchell is right up there in success with the men's team and Markus Roeders of the women's soccer side.  And maybe it isn't equally glorious, but if it's no big deal to win the NIT, then I guess the men should have won it more often since 1970.

I guess I just don't understand why start paying attention to women's bball now?

Anyway, you guys argue a lot, doesn't it ever get old?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 12:20:43 AM »
Also, from MU Band: 

We Love Terri Mitchell.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 02:25:21 AM »

The team has definitely trended down the last year and a half and the recruitng is currently abyssmal.

Abyssmal?  She signed a 4-star recruit in the fall who is as high as #8 in one service.  Even her worst ranking is #59.  That's not an abyssmal player.

A question and staement like that could spark a two sided discussion ont he pros and cons of her recent career, a discussion about the economics and finances as Chicos discusses.  

A question like that is needlessly inflammatory, and contains an implied answer. 

yet MU 84 goes cookoo and Brings his boyfriend into it.  

This comment says a lot more about your character than me.

Frankly, you probably have a closer relationship with Crean than I do.  He's actually done something personally to you that pisses you off.   

The deepest relationship I had was in the audience at a coaches luncheon.  Nothing more.

c'lastly, undermoning the program with a whisper campagin.  first of ALL WHO IS WHISPEERING!!  i LOVE THE CAHARACTER AND PERSONALITY BUZZ HAS BROUGHT TO THE PROGRAM definitely a refreser compared to the last coach.

Aha--there's today's slam on Crean.

I could ask what you mean by it, but you never give details.  Just generic attacks without any  basis. 

BTW, I should remind you that Crean brought Buzz to MU.  Buzz thought enough of Crean that he quit a head coaching job to come and work as his assistant.  And Crean recommended Buzz to MU after he left.

He is also a better coach already and a better recruiter than our past caoch.  

I was probably Buzz's first fan here on the board--when everyone was drooling over the likes Brad Brownell, and criticizing the "hiring process" on equally baseless charges, I was here defending him.  I think we got the right guy. 

That having been said, its a bit early to call him better than Crean already.  He has a couple of impressive wins.  Lets see him win 12 in the Big East before concluding that he's better.

As for recruiting, at this point, we don't know if McMorrow is any better than Kinsella.  We don't know if Otule will develop to be a better player than Barro.  We don't know if Maymon will last longer than Amoroso or Mbakwe.   We don't know if Cadougan will be as good as James or Buycks as good as McNeal.   

That's not ripping those players or Buzz.  I like our recruiting class.  But it is a simple statement of fact that we don't know how they'll be when they get to the college level.  We have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight on Crean's players. 

I hope they all stay and do wind up being better.  I'd like to see us get back to a final four. Which means that Buzz will have built on Crean's success and leave the program in better shape when he found it.  That's something that Crean was able to do, but Deane, Majerus and Raymonds were not.

ever will buzz have the worfst front court due to his recruitng for 4 staright years like that clown provided for us.  Go lipscomb!!!!!

Of course, Crean also has a better incoming frontcourt in his first class at Indiana than he recruited to MU for the last  4 straight years as well. 

Same guy.  Different program.  Better frontcourt players.

In a normal world, pointing out this comparison would suggest that the issue might not be whether Crean could recruit bigs, but rather, whether the limited number of quality bigs that are out there want to attend MU. 

I know that's heresy--the program sells itself based on the tradition and all.  But the fact is Crean is attracting better inside players to IU than he was able to attract to MU.

Of course, in your bizzaro world, you'll probably repeat some comment about how I love Crean.
It sure would be nice if you explain yourself someday.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 08:18:33 AM »
FURTHERMORE why not start railing on Louis Bennett?? now there's a pseudoembarrassment!  I don't think the men have had a winning record for the past 5 years, so please start defending or destroying his honor ad infinitum.

I'm with ya other than this point- Coach Bennett was handed a mess when they hired him (3 years ago). The kids were running the program, there was no discipline, and when he dropped the hammer 7 returning players quit. That is a lot to deal with, and put a lot of pressure on their recruiting.

I don't follow them that closely, but from what I can see their talent level is much better, and they're becoming very competitive (if I remember right they took a couple of ranked teams to OT, on the road).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »
Mr. Hayward.

Please back up your abysmal recruiting statement with some factual evidence.

Actually, please back up your argument with something other than yourself going out on a limb without actually ever witnessing the womens team play. Clearly, you did not know that a major player has been injured, or that way over half the time Terri has underclassmen starting.

It's easy to go out there and throw around your verbal mouth diarrhea from just watching the bottom line on ESPN.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
Hey Mods (and posters),

Maybe we could consolidate the Crean debates into one thread (The official Tom Crean Debate thread)?

I think this could help in a couple of ways:

#1 It will give everybody a place to always go post his/her viewpoints on MU's former coach. This seems especially appropriate for people who seem to be regularly active in this debate. This could also include tracking IU's wins/losses, the soccer stadium donation, etc. etc. It could be a one-stop shop to discuss everything we love and hate about the guy (that seems to be the crux of the debate).

#2 It will prevent thread escaping and future thread jacking. It gets frustrating to have the same debates and undertones repeated over and over all over the board. From reading this current thread, I can see that Hayward is frustrated for being stalked all over the board (a legitimate frustration), but I can see that MU84 is just looking for clarification to his questions from a previous thread that Hayward dropped out of (also legit).

Maybe if we started an "official Tom Crean thread", it would consolidate the debates down and prevent what really is the same thread from coming up over and over again (seems to restart every 30 days or so). I'm not against people presenting all sorts of viewpoints, but maybe it's better to keep it in 1 assigned space.

It's just an idea, and I really don't want to create more moderation work for you guys... I've just seen similar techniques used on other sports teams boards, and it seems to work well (ie The official 2009 draft thread, The official free agent thread, etc. etc.)

I could even start the thread, but posters will have to self-police and when a real Crean debate comes up, we'll have to point people to use the thread.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »
I'm with ya other than this point- Coach Bennett was handed a mess when they hired him (3 years ago). The kids were running the program, there was no discipline, and when he dropped the hammer 7 returning players quit. That is a lot to deal with, and put a lot of pressure on their recruiting.

I don't follow them that closely, but from what I can see their talent level is much better, and they're becoming very competitive (if I remember right they took a couple of ranked teams to OT, on the road).

You're absolutely right--I guess my point was mainly that the program as a whole has been floundering, and if you're going to start scrutinizing non-men's bball, you can't be nearsighted  ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

They just beat #4 Notre Dame tonight.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »
What frontcourt players has TC attracted to IU?  I am assuming that means the PF and C positions.  One Amoroso clone in Capobianco for 2009.  Watford is a WF.  They are going to be just as guard heavy as when he was here for the foreseeable future, unless he starts revoking scholarships and signing others.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
well we will see what happens with IU recruiting.  Cream is already 1 over the limit and does not seem to be slowing down on the recruitng front, they just had another 2009 recruit on campus.  CLearly 1 or more of the current Freshmen will not be coming back.  My guess is more than 1.  Bototom line is some of those Freshmen are no good and it's not like Indidana fans will care if he runs people off they just want to win quickly.  My goodness i would hate to have MU in that shape...they are so terrible it is not even enjoyable watching them get destroyed.  I mean it is nice to see the scores but trying to watch more than 5 minutes of one of their games is torture.  They are good high school team caliber.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 09:24:26 AM »
It's hard watching IU games, even worse when you have to listen to Brent Musberger spend the entire game kissing TC's you know what.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
well we will see what happens with IU recruiting.  Cream is already 1 over the limit and does not seem to be slowing down on the recruitng front, they just had another 2009 recruit on campus. 

And you do realize that we will be one over the limit here very soon as well, right?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
And you do realize that we will be one over the limit here very soon as well, right?

MU's current coach isn't a tanned up, slicked-back used car salesman like IU's coach.

The rules are different.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »
You are all a bunch of swachbuckling thread pirates.  Everything on this board gets jacked by Hayward and becomes a Crean-Fest.  Shut up everyone.  It sucks the life out of ALL our discussions.  GET OVER IT.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »
You are all a bunch of swachbuckling thread pirates.  Everything on this board gets jacked by Hayward and becomes a Crean-Fest.  Shut up everyone.  It sucks the life out of ALL our discussions.  GET OVER IT.

+1...I was hoping to gloat about Coach Mitchell and the Lady Warriors huge victory over Notre Dame. Instead I find yet another thread hijacked by more posts comparing TC and Buzz and comparing IU's recruits to MU's.

HELLO PEOPLE!!!! We just beat the #4 team in the country!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 11:55:22 AM »
the answer is clear....keep mitchell, get rid of Hey, Ward.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »
HELLO PEOPLE!!!! We just beat the #4 team in the country!

I seem to remember Mike Deane beating #4 Cincinnati a few times...

*ducks*

:P

JSwarriors08

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
the answer is clear....keep mitchell, get rid of Hey, Ward.

Amen.  If we get enough participation can we vote Haywire off the island?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
If everyone uses the 'ignore' button, doesn't that serve the same purpose without forcing the hands of our overworked, underpaid, but deeply appreciated mods?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »
Keep her, fire her who cares!!!!  It's women's basketball!!!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:49 PM »

Quote from Futurama:  "They made fun of our women's basketball team?  Did you explain to them how our good fundamentals make up for our inability to dunk?'

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
Hey Mods (and posters),

Maybe we could consolidate the Crean debates into one thread (The official Tom Crean Debate thread)?

I think this could help in a couple of ways:

#1 It will give everybody a place to always go post his/her viewpoints on MU's former coach. This seems especially appropriate for people who seem to be regularly active in this debate. This could also include tracking IU's wins/losses, the soccer stadium donation, etc. etc. It could be a one-stop shop to discuss everything we love and hate about the guy (that seems to be the crux of the debate).

#2 It will prevent thread escaping and future thread jacking. It gets frustrating to have the same debates and undertones repeated over and over all over the board. From reading this current thread, I can see that Hayward is frustrated for being stalked all over the board (a legitimate frustration), but I can see that MU84 is just looking for clarification to his questions from a previous thread that Hayward dropped out of (also legit).

Maybe if we started an "official Tom Crean thread", it would consolidate the debates down and prevent what really is the same thread from coming up over and over again (seems to restart every 30 days or so). I'm not against people presenting all sorts of viewpoints, but maybe it's better to keep it in 1 assigned space.

It's just an idea, and I really don't want to create more moderation work for you guys... I've just seen similar techniques used on other sports teams boards, and it seems to work well (ie The official 2009 draft thread, The official free agent thread, etc. etc.)

I could even start the thread, but posters will have to self-police and when a real Crean debate comes up, we'll have to point people to use the thread.

I LOVE this idea!  That way people like me "who couldn't care less" -- note my usage to those who incorrectly say they "could care less" -- about this issue and can accept that Crean left for a better job (in the long term) for more money at Indiana can just entirely skip such a thread.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »

Wow.  Intelligent.  Seriously, good job.

Women like that a lot.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
Wow.  Intelligent.  Seriously, good job.

Women like that a lot.

Who cares? They're just women. I mean am I right or am I right, right?

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »

Who cares? They're just women. I mean am I right or am I right, right?

oh jeez, we're tealing our responses to the teal??   Arrrrrrgh

I don't care if you don't like women's basketball -- i think you should care about MU women's basketball, but if you don't, don't act like you can comment on it or TM.  She's awesome, and don't you think there are 100s or 1000s of young women and girls that look up to the team?????  Girls need role models, too, and historically the MU women are a heckuva crew.

Heck, I look up to them!!  If only they played opposite the men, seasonally....