[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 380405 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #3675 on: September 07, 2021, 05:51:36 PM »
Because it’s a mid sized apartment community and everyone talks. The point was that she wasn’t a random stranger.  My wife was talking to another of the group she spoke to on the way out. She’s just simply freaked out about getting Delta COVID.  And she’s not alone. 

People like to blame 'the media' for everything. 

The reality is that a not insignificant group of people are going to be scared until wacky stuff stops happening. 

Two major cities in FL asked people to conserve water so that more Oxygen was available for hospitals, Rural areas hospitals are being over-run to the point health care workers (Louisiana) and Governors (AL, ID as examples) are begging people to take public health precautions, Sen Bill Frist wrote a breathless tweet chain to implore TN government to take this seriously and put in public health measures, Everyone probably knows someone with a breakthrough by now.  The silver lining is that vaccines are holding up incredibly well and remain the best measure we can all take to end this (in addition to a few others when spread is high).

We all want this to be over but its not....until that time I will take crazy swimmer every day of the week over the people harassing health care workers and MANDATING against public health measures.  At least she is the kind of crazy that isnt going to harm me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3676 on: September 07, 2021, 06:05:37 PM »
And you are saying an over abundance of caution is as bad as being anti-vax.  To which i say horse feathers.  (Or paste)   One is annoying.  One has far more dire consequences.

Where did I ever say it was "as bad"?  Never.  Stop with the absolutism which has become very en vogue with COVID.  It was just an observation about something that was obnoxious in response to tweets from an MD who was bemoaning some of the bad messaging and how it was affecting people.  Thats all.

At the end of the day, no it doesn't affect me.  And again, this is a messageboard, its not real life, its not like im sitting stewing at my desk unable to do work cause Janice wore a mask to the pool.  This endless COVID news cycle is exhausting and you try to find silver linings but then stuff like this makes you think this is never ending.  And thats whats obnoxious, cause it feels like its silly and correctable.  The anti-vaxx rhetoric and champions are a different level of despair inducing but that feels like emptying the ocean with a bucket.

And you can all feel free to disagree, as is your right, but I firmly believe that if mask mandates are widespread (right or wrong) and loudly banged upon, booster adoption, to the current vaccine percentages, will be difficult.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3677 on: September 07, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »
Things we know slow the spread of COVID.  Vaccines, masks, social distancing.   I am sorry you are weary of it all.   News flash, everybody is tired after the last 18 months.

But the virus isn't tired.   It has shown itself to be more determined and resilient than society.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3678 on: September 07, 2021, 06:49:18 PM »
Things we know slow the spread of COVID.  Vaccines, masks, social distancing.   I am sorry you are weary of it all.   News flash, everybody is tired after the last 18 months.

But the virus isn't tired.   It has shown itself to be more determined and resilient than society.

::)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3679 on: September 07, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »

+100

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3680 on: September 07, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »

Not really. This exaggeration doesn’t do people any good. Assuming the woman at the pool was vaccinated and didn’t have any serious underlying conditions, she should be more concerned about tripping, falling into the pool and drowning than she should be catching Covid.

This is where Wags is coming from. People are likely engaging in a different risk analysis with Covid than they would have any other issue prior to the pandemic. It’s illogical.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3681 on: September 07, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »
Illogical happens everyday.  Remember when we used to judge crazy on whether or not it caused harm? 

Wake me up when the masked swimmer is the one preventing the pandemic from ending. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3682 on: September 07, 2021, 08:14:42 PM »
Which exaggeration, pray tell?    That everyone is tired of it?    That the virus doesn't care?   That vaccines, masks, and social distancing are the best mitigation strategies?

The woman by the pool harmed no one.    She chose her level of comfort.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

• All American
« Reply #3683 on: September 07, 2021, 08:18:27 PM »
Illogical happens everyday.  Remember when we used to judge crazy on whether or not it caused harm? 

Wake me up when the masked swimmer is the one preventing the pandemic from ending. 

She’s being illogical. Your second paragraph is just goalpost shifting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #3684 on: September 07, 2021, 08:20:14 PM »
Which exaggeration, pray tell?    That everyone is tired of it?    That the virus doesn't care?   That vaccines, masks, and social distancing are the best mitigation strategies?

The woman by the pool harmed no one.    She chose her level of comfort.   

“ But the virus isn't tired.   It has shown itself to be more determined and resilient than society.”  That’s eye rolling stuff right there.

And again, I never said she was harming anyone. She’s being illogical.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3685 on: September 07, 2021, 08:21:59 PM »

Since I didn’t establish the goal posts I guess shifting them are an accomplishment. 

I said she was harmless crazy in my only other post on the topic.

• All American
« Reply #3686 on: September 07, 2021, 08:24:49 PM »
Since I didn’t establish the goal posts I guess shifting them are an accomplishment. 

I said she was harmless crazy in my only other post on the topic.

Well what she did was harmless no doubt. It doesn’t bother me in the least. It’s just illogical.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3687 on: September 07, 2021, 08:29:46 PM »
“ But the virus isn't tired.   It has shown itself to be more determined and resilient than society.”  That’s eye rolling stuff right there.

Why do you consider it eye rolling stuff?     The virus exists to spread to compatible hosts.    It has mutated multiple times to do that more efficiently.    It will continue until it runs out out of compatible hosts.    Maybe it mutates to go through everybody again, maybe it doesn't.   

Society has decided to argue about the existence of the virus.    To resist doing the things that will stop it.     If CS Lewis was writing the Screwtape Letters today, it could be about the virus, not the devil.    Or Kaiser Soze talking about the devil.    The greatest trick the virus ever pulled.....

I think that eventually COVID will be all but eradicated.    Too many interesting discoveries from actual science coming out.    Until then, I have the lady by the pool's back.    I prefer her type of illogic to the screaming mouth breathers offering up their children at the altar of COVID.   

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3688 on: September 07, 2021, 08:58:41 PM »

How do you deem it illogical. Maybe she simply doesn't want to risk getting sick at all, and possibly missing work, getting others sick etc.

In many Asian countries they wear masks to avoid getting colds/flus, and sometimes just because of air quality. They view the fact that we do not wear masks more regularly as...illogical.

You are forcing you views of things on others. If her goal is simply not to risk getting sick at all, and the mask doesn't bother her...she is being the most logical. Benefit outweighs cost to her.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3689 on: September 07, 2021, 09:29:02 PM »

Maybe she is. Maybe she's not.
You don't know, and you guys are trying way too hard to look down your noses at someone based on a bunch of assumptions.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:57:18 PM by Pakuni »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3690 on: September 07, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »
I think the whole argument here is cuz Fluff is trying to do to Tower what chicos does to everyone. He was/is looking for an argument using any flimsy excuse to attack.

It's not like the rest of us don't see it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3691 on: September 07, 2021, 10:22:45 PM »
People like to blame 'the media' for everything. 

The reality is that a not insignificant group of people are going to be scared until wacky stuff stops happening. 

Two major cities in FL asked people to conserve water so that more Oxygen was available for hospitals, Rural areas hospitals are being over-run to the point health care workers (Louisiana) and Governors (AL, ID as examples) are begging people to take public health precautions, Sen Bill Frist wrote a breathless tweet chain to implore TN government to take this seriously and put in public health measures, Everyone probably knows someone with a breakthrough by now.  The silver lining is that vaccines are holding up incredibly well and remain the best measure we can all take to end this (in addition to a few others when spread is high).

We all want this to be over but its not....until that time I will take crazy swimmer every day of the week over the people harassing health care workers and MANDATING against public health measures.  At least she is the kind of crazy that isnt going to harm me.

Excellent post.

Idaho is the latest state that doesn't have a freakin' ICU bed available for non-COVID emergencies. That's not because of the media or because people are being overly cautious about wearing masks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3692 on: September 07, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »
In many Asian countries they wear masks to avoid getting colds/flus, and sometimes just because of air quality. They view the fact that we do not wear masks more regularly as...illogical.

This isn’t an attack, cause I always respect your perspective and opinion on this topic, agree or not, but I keep seeing this pop up when people talk masks.  I’ve been fortunate to travel a bunch in Asia for work.  HK, multiple parts of China, Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, etc… and I’ve never seen this to be the case.  Do you see it more than in the US during non-COVID times? Of course.  But in all my travels, it’s still infrequent enough that you do a double take.  One of my trade shows is in HK in the heart of flu/cold season, people traveling from all over Asia to visit, and you won’t see more than handful over the tens of thousands of people in and around the show.  It just feels like people use evidence from the SARS epidemic and the masks surrounding that and the years after to make it seem like masks are widespread.

(Granted this isn’t talking somewhere like Beijing where smog is literally hazardous to health)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3693 on: September 08, 2021, 02:20:39 AM »
One in 5000 chance of getting breakthrough COVID, maybe up to 1/10,000 depending on the locale, if vaxed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/briefing/risk-breakthrough-infections-delta.html
Adding free link:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-5-000-real-chances-183201138.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 02:22:51 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

• All American
« Reply #3694 on: September 08, 2021, 06:25:45 AM »
How do you deem it illogical. Maybe she simply doesn't want to risk getting sick at all, and possibly missing work, getting others sick etc.

You are forcing you views of things on others. If her goal is simply not to risk getting sick at all, and the mask doesn't bother her...she is being the most logical. Benefit outweighs cost to her.

Oh FFS, I am not "forcing my views" on anyone. 

Her risk of getting sick if she is vaccinated outdoors is basically zero.  I don't know how she can possibly make it through life with that risk tolerance.  Which I am quite certain she didn't, but Covid has caused people to make illogical decisions.  This is a great example of that.

• All American
« Reply #3695 on: September 08, 2021, 06:27:58 AM »
This isn’t an attack, cause I always respect your perspective and opinion on this topic, agree or not, but I keep seeing this pop up when people talk masks.  I’ve been fortunate to travel a bunch in Asia for work.  HK, multiple parts of China, Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, etc… and I’ve never seen this to be the case.  Do you see it more than in the US during non-COVID times? Of course.  But in all my travels, it’s still infrequent enough that you do a double take.  One of my trade shows is in HK in the heart of flu/cold season, people traveling from all over Asia to visit, and you won’t see more than handful over the tens of thousands of people in and around the show.  It just feels like people use evidence from the SARS epidemic and the masks surrounding that and the years after to make it seem like masks are widespread.

(Granted this isn’t talking somewhere like Beijing where smog is literally hazardous to health)

Yep.  I have a family member who has spent a lot of time in Japan pre-Covid, and he said that the statement that they wear masks during cold and flu season to be a complete exaggeration.  Maybe older people, but that's about it.

• All American
« Reply #3696 on: September 08, 2021, 06:30:16 AM »
I think the whole argument here is cuz Fluff is trying to do to Tower what chicos does to everyone. He was/is looking for an argument using any flimsy excuse to attack.

It's not like the rest of us don't see it.

No.  I understand why you are confused though.  I am using logic and intelligence to make my points, whereas you basically rely on emotion and political talking points.  So you may want to stay away for a bit.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3697 on: September 08, 2021, 06:33:17 AM »
And you call me preachy.   Logic and evidence say this is nowhere near over.

• All American
« Reply #3698 on: September 08, 2021, 06:39:14 AM »
And you call me preachy.   Logic and evidence say this is nowhere near over.

Well, it's over for me since I am vaccinated as is everyone in my household.  I mask where it is required, but otherwise am pretty much doing what was doing beforehand.  I mean, that was the whole point of being vaccinated right?

But my risk tolerance seems higher than many here who are like the lady at the pool.  Oh well...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3699 on: September 08, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »

Well, it's over for me since I am vaccinated as is everyone in my household.  I mask where it is required, but otherwise am pretty much doing what was doing beforehand.  I mean, that was the whole point of being vaccinated right?

But my risk tolerance seems higher than many here who are like the lady at the pool.  Oh well...

Fluff, I think what a lot of folks like you and I are trying to do is simply live our lives. I do find it interesting that there seems to be a segment in society that feels the need to comment on our doing that.  No doubt there's a cottage industry out there that profits on the fear.  That fear is probably legitimate for the morons that don't get vaxxed.  This crap can actually kill them.  But for us, nope, at least statistically speaking.  Meaning that if we do end up being a breakthrough, it's gonna cost us a week on our couch. So yeah, we went to Summerfest last weekend.  Living our lives.