collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 WNBA Thread  (Read 171 times)

MU82

• All American
2024 WNBA Thread
« on: Today at 09:39:19 AM »
Based on comments/conversations in other threads, there seems to be enough interest to start a stand-alone WNBA thread ...

Some people had a conniption fit about what Taurasi said awaited Clark in the WNBA. But it's hard to argue that her basic point - that Clark would be facing much more talented opponents game after game with the Fever than she did at Iowa - wasn't spot-on.

She was defended well by the Sun all game yesterday, had very little room to shoot, was played physically, and had to force a lot of passes into small windows that closed quickly. She finished with 10 turnovers to go with 20 pts (5/15 shooting). And while the Fever have a couple/few good players, they are still not very good and she often won't get much help.

Indiana's schedule suggests Clark and her team has a pretty rough learning curve ahead: 2 games against NY, followed by another with Conn, followed by Seattle, LA and Vegas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Re: 2024 WNBA Thread
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:20:15 AM »
I’m interested to see how Caitlin Clark mania translates to the WNBA.  I had no problem with what Taurasi said and yes Clark wasn’t going to come in and dominate in the WNBA right away.

I was happy to see the Lynx win - have switched my affiliation from the Sun to them with Natisha Hiedeman getting traded to the Lynx.

Thanks for starting this thread.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:32:03 AM »
Based on comments/conversations in other threads, there seems to be enough interest to start a stand-alone WNBA thread ...

Some people had a conniption fit about what Taurasi said awaited Clark in the WNBA. But it's hard to argue that her basic point - that Clark would be facing much more talented opponents game after game with the Fever than she did at Iowa - wasn't spot-on.

She was defended well by the Sun all game yesterday, had very little room to shoot, was played physically, and had to force a lot of passes into small windows that closed quickly. She finished with 10 turnovers to go with 20 pts (5/15 shooting). And while the Fever have a couple/few good players, they are still not very good and she often won't get much help.

Indiana's schedule suggests Clark and her team has a pretty rough learning curve ahead: 2 games against NY, followed by another with Conn, followed by Seattle, LA and Vegas.

I think the theme of Taurasi's statement was less of an issue than her general grizzled old hater condescension for every new player.  From my perspective, it was less "she's amazing, but this is a different game" and more like "I don't get the hype, wait till she plays real players".  And thats coming from someone who LOVED watching Taurasi at UCONN and early WNBA days.

As for Clark, honestly, it was fodder for both depending on how you view her.  The Fever still are super flawed.  Boston was terrible last night and Clark was getting double teams/face up guarding from the center line in.  She's gonna struggle putting up big assist numbers due to the team she's playing with.

That being said, it was a tale of two halves.  she started 0-5, but wasn't overly forcing, rest of the game she went 5-10 and was really the only offense the Fever had in the second half.  The TOs were terrible, but the officials let her get played much more physical than she saw at Iowa, that will for sure be an adjustment.  She got smacked on 2 layups I saw that ended up with her losing the ball out of bounds that would definitely have been FTs any game last year.

If she plays like she did in the second half and even has half the TOs, she'll run away with ROY.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:44:23 AM »
Agree that if last night's game was Clark's "floor," she's gonna be just fine, Wags. And yes, Taurasi was condescending ... but her point wasn't wrong. And of course, we're both right about the Fever. They've had the #1 pick two straight years for a reason.

I'd bet on Clark being a good, maybe even very good, WNBA player. I highly doubt she will be a generational talent at that level as she was at her previous level, but who knows?

Will be curious to see how many eyeballs were on last night's game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:58:21 AM »
Agree that if last night's game was Clark's "floor," she's gonna be just fine, Wags. And yes, Taurasi was condescending ... but her point wasn't wrong. And of course, we're both right about the Fever. They've had the #1 pick two straight years for a reason.

I'd bet on Clark being a good, maybe even very good, WNBA player. I highly doubt she will be a generational talent at that level as she was at her previous level, but who knows?

Will be curious to see how many eyeballs were on last night's game.

Nobody cared about the WNBA before Clark arrived. If you’re right and she only turns out to be just another good to very good player in the league people will rapidly lose interest. Only hope for the league is if she’s a star.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:19:31 AM »
Nobody cared about the WNBA before Clark arrived. If you’re right and she only turns out to be just another good to very good player in the league people will rapidly lose interest. Only hope for the league is if she’s a star.

I hope so.  As an evangelical Christian, the idea of women’s sports being popular is very concerning
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:23:32 AM »
I hope so.  As an evangelical Christian, the idea of women’s sports being popular is very concerning

The players have been told diabolical lies about pursuing sports as a career, when their true vocation is breeding.

Anyhow, the old man "nobody cares" take was inevitable, facts be damned.
One should compare WNBA TV ratings vs Big East TV ratings and tell us which nobody cares about.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:28:24 AM by Pakuni »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:29:35 AM »

The WNBA's ratings are generally around what NBA/USA gets for the EPL. Its championship series outpaced events like the average Wimbledon coverage on ESPN. (Despite being held during the NFL regular season and MLB playoffs.)

So I don't think its fair to say that "nobody cared" about the WNBA. It by and large is a niche product in a sports world full of them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:19:18 PM »
The WNBA's ratings are generally around what NBA/USA gets for the EPL. Its championship series outpaced events like the average Wimbledon coverage on ESPN. (Despite being held during the NFL regular season and MLB playoffs.)

So I don't think its fair to say that "nobody cared" about the WNBA. It by and large is a niche product in a sports world full of them.

Lenny doesn’t care about women’s sports = no one cares about women’s sports.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:22:07 PM »

I disagree with most of this, but I'm not in the mood for a multiple-page back-and-forth about it, so I'll let you tangle with others.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:49:01 PM »

Yep, and thats totally fine!  The sooner the discussion about the league, its success , etc... is moved away from comparison to the NBA (or the other top 4/5 leagues), the better the relative success and growth of the WNBA can be measured.  And this goes for both the haters of the WNBA, and its rabid supporters.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:52:56 PM »
Good lord. Only took a few post before hijacking MU82's attempt to have conversations about the WNBA.

(I know, welcome to Scoop  >:()

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #12 on: Today at 01:26:59 PM »
Attendance has been rising the past several years. There are some college players now that might make better pros-Paige Buckets, and Juju Watkins. The league is not going to fold if Clark doesnt meet expectations. It's OK to just say its not for you.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:38:18 PM »
Just heard about the crazy Griner divorce/annulment/pregnancy story last night. Looking forward to see how that ends up.