Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8688849 times)

HoopsterBC

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1800 on: June 10, 2016, 08:26:26 AM »
Calif Young, the big that chose Providence instead of MU.

A little sarcasm, he is dead to me, like Mr. Wonderful says on Shark Tank!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:44 AM »
Pretty good educated guesses........he was right 88% of the time in 2016

http://247sports.com/User/Mark%20Miller/Predictions?PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Recruitment.Year=2016&PlayerInstitution.PrimaryPlayerSport.Sport=Basketball
Was Miller wrong on Young or did Wojo lose a player he should of had? Remember Young delayed his visit why Wojo went after the transfer that went to Maryland. I do not know, but maybe Wojo making the other recruit plan A in the end cost him plan B.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: June 10, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Was Miller wrong on Young or did Wojo lose a player he should of had? Remember Young delayed his visit why Wojo went after the transfer that went to Maryland. I do not know, but maybe Wojo making the other recruit plan A in the end cost him plan B.

The kid delayed his visits to other schools like 29 times.  Unless Wojo was calling him on different phone numbers pretending to be the head coaches at those other schools telling him not to come visit them quite yet, I think the delays were more on Young than they were on Wojo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: June 10, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
We're making a big deal out of a kid that wasn't even ranked by some services. He would have played sparingly next year and probably just a guy his sophomore year. Gill was the guy to get, I think he could have put the team into the tournament. Would have been nice to have 3 senior starters/contributors. Rebounding may be a disaster next season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: June 10, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
"Oh, I see Ike is visiting Marquette this weekend. Might as well guess MU on the cristal bowel!"

That does nothing for me.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
I work with a U of D alum (Ike's high school) who is a pretty avid follower of the Cubs and he's been saying for a while that he thinks Ike will go to MU. He's not a insider or anything but the guy hasn't missed a game in 2 years so I kinda trust his opinion.

He's constantly comparing him to Dennis Rodman. Says Ike has no offensive game but is an athletic freak who is a rebounding machine and plays great defense.
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1806 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
This is the type of talk that makes it so effin stupid. What is 88%?

How many of those were changed after obvious info was known by the masses?

Totally understandable position, so I thought I'd check it out. Though the 88% number isn't accurate. Even 247's website has him at 80%, and I'd argue that may be a bit flawed as well (though not as flawed as their "days correct" number).

It looks like 247 doesn't consider a recruit "committed" until they sign their NLI, which could definitely artificially inflate some guys track records, such as predicting a recruit the same day they give a verbal but they don't sign their NLI for 6 months. To more accurately reflect this, I'm going with the date their verbal was given.

So here's his track record on 2016 prospects:
  • Sam Hauser, 306 days: Miller was the second to predict Hauser (Evan Flood predicted MU the day before) and had the correct pick over 300 days early.
  • Payton Pritchard, WRONG: Miller was one of many to predict Pritchard early, and all had Oklahoma. Many shifted 8 months later, but he never changed his pick.
  • Rapolas Ivanauskas, 0 days: Miller made his pick the same day Ivanauskas gave his oral commitment to Northwestern.
  • Juwan McCloud, 13 days: Miller was the second to predict McCloud (Corey Evans picked UNI 2 hours earlier) and had the correct pick about 2 weeks early.
  • Isiah Brown, 1 day: Miller was the only one to predict Brown correctly, but only made his pick the day before the commitment.
  • Willie Jackson, Foggy: I don't even know what this means. His pick said "Foggy".
  • Jayson Tatum, WRONG: Miller had Tatum to St. Louis. Made his prediction 5 days before Tatum declared for Duke.
  • Trevor Anderson, 47 days: Miller was the only one to pick Anderson to Green Bay and had it about a month and a half early.
  • Cassius Winston, 56 days: Miller was seventh (of 24) to pick Winston to MSU and had him about 2 months early.
  • Bryce Nze, 104 days: Miller had the only prediction for Nze and had it a bit over 3 months early. Maybe Nze hasn't signed his NLI yet as 247 doesn't credit his UWM commitment, but he verballed on December 4, 2015.
  • Solomon Young, 18 days: Miller was second (Jerry Meyer picked ISU the day before) and had Young about two and a half weeks early.
  • Amir Coffey, 36 days: Miller was fifth after changing his pick from Marquette a bit over a month before Coffey declared for the Gophers.
  • Harry Giles, 80 days: Many had Giles before Miller, but he had the right pick just under 3 months early.
  • Xavier Simpson, WRONG: This one is funny...79% picked Simpson to Michigan, but all did it the same day he committed. Miller made his pick two days earlier and incorrectly said Wisconsin. I can't really complain about a guy not going to Wisconsin, though.
  • Jaquori McLaughlin, 17 days: Miller was second (Corey Evans a week earlier) and had this one a bit over two weeks before the verbal was given.
  • Lamar Stevens, 5 days: Miller was 9th to call this one, just under a week early.
  • Brendan Bailey, 37 days: Miller was third (Drew Messmer and Meyer both about 5 weeks earlier) and had Bailey correct to MU about a month in advance.
  • Tejon Lucas, 0 days: Miller's prediction came the same day Lucas announced.
  • Tyler Cook, 5 days: Miller was the 8th person in about a 40 hour span to make this pick, everyone jumped on after his official visit to Iowa.
  • Miles Bridges, 2 days: He's no Corey Evans, who had this one 22 months ahead of schedule.
  • Jakolby Long, 4 days: Another pick right before the decision.
  • Zack Norvell, 0 days: Miller picked it the morning that Novell announced for Gonzaga.
  • Darrlyn Willis, 2 days: Miller was first but only 2 days before Willis' commitment to Wichita State.
  • Jacob Larsen, 1 day: Miller was second and like all three correct predictions made it the day before.
  • Charlie Moore, WRONG(?): Miller picked Moore to Memphis correctly a day early, but when Moore reopened his recruitment, Miller never changed his pick.
  • Markus Howard, 77 days: Miller was first to correctly pick Howard to Marquette, about 2 and a half months early.
  • Kavell Bigby-Williams, 22 days: Miller was fifth and had this one about three weeks early.
  • Bruno Fernando, 1 day: Miller had Fernando the day before he made his announcement, and was the sixth guy to make the pick in less than 2 hours. Of course, this could all change next year with his recruitment reopened.
  • Nick Rakocevic, 4 days: Another late call, no one had this more than 5 days early.
  • D'Mitrick Trice, 15 days: Miller was fourth and had this about 2 weeks early.
  • Christian Vital, WRONG: Miller was one of many to miss this one, he made his pick 12 days early, but people were predicting Vital (incorrectly) to Louisville up until the day of the verbal.
  • Aleem Ford, 2 days: Miller was fifth, no one had this right more than 3 days ahead of time.
  • Kalif Young, WRONG: Miller had this about 2 weeks early, no one (3 picks) had him going to Providence.
  • Khalea Turner, Undecided: Miller is the only one that currently has him to Providence.
So here's the breakdown:

Total Picks: 34

Correct Picks: 26 (76.5%)
Incorrect Picks: 6 (17.6%)
Undetermined Picks: 2 (5.9%, and WTF is "Foggy" again?)

0-7 Days: 13
8-30 Days: 5
31+ Days: 8

So what's it all mean? He's accurate, but half of that accuracy comes in the week before the announcement. When it comes to Marquette and in-state targets, however, he does well and he has info early. 5 of his 8 long-term picks were Marquette targets (Winston and Coffey the two misses) and two others were in-state guys (Nze and Anderson).

I'd say when it comes to local targets and Marquette targets, he's definitely worth listening to. For the most part, he's right. Not always, but no one's perfect. When it comes to national recruitments, he's going with the trends as much as anyone. Usually he's right, but is making calls at the last minute when the decision has likely been leaked.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:56:31 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: June 10, 2016, 09:59:24 AM »
We're making a big deal out of a kid that wasn't even ranked by some services. He would have played sparingly next year and probably just a guy his sophomore year. Gill was the guy to get, I think he could have put the team into the tournament. Would have been nice to have 3 senior starters/contributors. Rebounding may be a disaster next season.

Exactly right, ranked pretty low but his Dad thinks he is going to be star, we will see if he is right.  Gill was the key recruit, to bad.  Can not say he made a wrong choice.
Still not sure how good a recruiter Wojo is, has lost 4 recruiting battles in spring the last 2 years and Howard and Bailey were SJ recruits.  2017 will be interesting with
only 1 big on the team the following year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
Totally understandable position, so I thought I'd check it out. Though the 88% number isn't accurate. Even 247's website has him at 80%, and I'd argue that may be a bit flawed as well (though not as flawed as their "days correct" number).

It looks like 247 doesn't consider a recruit "committed" until they sign their NLI, which could definitely artificially inflate some guys track records, such as predicting a recruit the same day they give a verbal but they don't sign their NLI for 6 months. To more accurately reflect this, I'm going with the date their verbal was given.

So here's his track record on 2016 prospects:
  • Sam Hauser, 306 days: Miller was the second to predict Hauser (Evan Flood predicted MU the day before) and had the correct pick over 300 days early.
  • Payton Pritchard, WRONG: Miller was one of many to predict Pritchard early, and all had Oklahoma. Many shifted 8 months later, but he never changed his pick.
  • Rapolas Ivanauskas, 0 days: Miller made his pick the same day Ivanauskas gave his oral commitment to Northwestern.
  • Juwan McCloud, 13 days: Miller was the second to predict McCloud (Corey Evans picked UNI 2 hours earlier) and had the correct pick about 2 weeks early.
  • Isiah Brown, 1 day: Miller was the only one to predict Brown correctly, but only made his pick the day before the commitment.
  • Willie Jackson, Foggy: I don't even know what this means. His pick said "Foggy".
  • Jayson Tatum, WRONG: Miller had Tatum to St. Louis. Made his prediction 5 days before Tatum declared for Duke.
  • Trevor Anderson, 47 days: Miller was the only one to pick Anderson to Green Bay and had it about a month and a half early.
  • Cassius Winston, 56 days: Miller was seventh (of 24) to pick Winston to MSU and had him about 2 months early.
  • Bryce Nze, 104 days: Miller had the only prediction for Nze and had it a bit over 3 months early. Maybe Nze hasn't signed his NLI yet as 247 doesn't credit his UWM commitment, but he verballed on December 4, 2015.
  • Solomon Young, 18 days: Miller was second (Jerry Meyer picked ISU the day before) and had Young about two and a half weeks early.
  • Amir Coffey, 36 days: Miller was fifth after changing his pick from Marquette a bit over a month before Coffey declared for the Gophers.
  • Harry Giles, 80 days: Many had Giles before Miller, but he had the right pick just under 3 months early.
  • Xavier Simpson, WRONG: This one is funny...79% picked Simpson to Michigan, but all did it the same day he committed. Miller made his pick two days earlier and incorrectly said Wisconsin. I can't really complain about a guy not going to Wisconsin, though.
  • Jaquori McLaughlin, 17 days: Miller was second (Corey Evans a week earlier) and had this one a bit over two weeks before the verbal was given.
  • Lamar Stevens, 5 days: Miller was 9th to call this one, just under a week early.
  • Brendan Bailey, 37 days: Miller was third (Drew Messmer and Meyer both about 5 weeks earlier) and had Bailey correct to MU about a month in advance.
  • Tejon Lucas, 0 days: Miller's prediction came the same day Lucas announced.
  • Tyler Cook, 5 days: Miller was the 8th person in about a 40 hour span to make this pick, everyone jumped on after his official visit to Iowa.
  • Miles Bridges, 2 days: He's no Corey Evans, who had this one 22 months ahead of schedule.
  • Jakolby Long, 4 days: Another pick right before the decision.
  • Zack Norvell, 0 days: Miller picked it the morning that Novell announced for Gonzaga.
  • Darrlyn Willis, 2 days: Miller was first but only 2 days before Willis' commitment to Wichita State.
  • Jacob Larsen, 1 day: Miller was second and like all three correct predictions made it the day before.
  • Charlie Moore, WRONG(?): Miller picked Moore to Memphis correctly a day early, but when Moore reopened his recruitment, Miller never changed his pick.
  • Markus Howard, 77 days: Miller was first to correctly pick Howard to Marquette, about 2 and a half months early.
  • Kavell Bigby-Williams, 22 days: Miller was fifth and had this one about three weeks early.
  • Bruno Fernando, 1 day: Miller had Fernando the day before he made his announcement, and was the sixth guy to make the pick in less than 2 hours. Of course, this could all change next year with his recruitment reopened.
  • Nick Rakocevic, 4 days: Another late call, no one had this more than 5 days early.
  • D'Mitrick Trice, 15 days: Miller was fourth and had this about 2 weeks early.
  • Christian Vital, WRONG: Miller was one of many to miss this one, he made his pick 12 days early, but people were predicting Vital (incorrectly) to Louisville up until the day of the verbal.
  • Aleem Ford, 2 days: Miller was fifth, no one had this right more than 3 days ahead of time.
  • Kalif Young, WRONG: Miller had this about 2 weeks early, no one (3 picks) had him going to Providence.
  • Khalea Turner, Undecided: Miller is the only one that currently has him to Providence.
So here's the breakdown:

Total Picks: 34

Correct Picks: 26 (76.5%)
Incorrect Picks: 6 (17.6%)
Undetermined Picks: 2 (5.9%, and WTF is "Foggy" again?)

0-7 Days: 13
8-30 Days: 5
31+ Days: 8

So what's it all mean? He's accurate, but half of that accuracy comes in the week before the announcement. When it comes to Marquette and in-state targets, however, he does well and he has info early. 5 of his 8 long-term picks were Marquette targets (Winston and Coffey the two misses) and two others were in-state guys (Nze and Anderson).

I'd say when it comes to local targets and Marquette targets, he's definitely worth listening to. For the most part, he's right. Not always, but no one's perfect. When it comes to national recruitments, he's going with the trends as much as anyone. Usually he's right, but is making calls at the last minute when the decision has likely been leaked.

It means you have too much time on your hands.  ;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: June 10, 2016, 10:42:33 AM »
I work with a U of D alum (Ike's high school) who is a pretty avid follower of the Cubs and he's been saying for a while that he thinks Ike will go to MU. He's not a insider or anything but the guy hasn't missed a game in 2 years so I kinda trust his opinion.

He's constantly comparing him to Dennis Rodman. Says Ike has no offensive game but is an athletic freak who is a rebounding machine and plays great defense.

Pair this with the fact that one of Galli's buddies from that area says his biggest asset lately is his rapidly developing mid-range game and I start to really like that combination.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1810 on: June 10, 2016, 11:19:47 AM »
It means you have too much time on your hands.  ;)

Today, yes. Taking a break from a week of household projects and after seeing this, thought "what the hell, let's analyze it."  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1811 on: June 10, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »
The Crystal Ball thing is just an educated guess. It's kind of a fun thing to do, but truthfully, recruiting is so hit and miss that it means little.

Having said that, I do feel good about Marquette's chances with Ike Eke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
The Crystal Ball thing is just an educated guess. It's kind of a fun thing to do, but truthfully, recruiting is so hit and miss that it means little.

Having said that, I do feel good about Marquette's chances with Ike Eke.

Have you seen Ike play much?  If so, what do you consider his strengths and weaknesses?

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1813 on: June 10, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
Have not seen him in person, but from what I have watched on the Internet on the EYBL circuit, Ike Eke appears to be an athletic 6'9" forward who competes on every possession.

He is just an OK shot blocker, but he is active around the glass in terms of rebounding. He could develop into a very good Big East defender/rebounder. Offensive skills are developing.

High school team -- Detroit Jesuit -- went 28-0 and won Michigan Class A state title.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #1814 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
Have not seen him in person, but from what I have watched on the Internet on the EYBL circuit, Ike Eke appears to be an athletic 6'9" forward who competes on every possession.

He is just an OK shot blocker, but he is active around the glass in terms of rebounding. He could develop into a very good Big East defender/rebounder. Offensive skills are developing.

High school team -- Detroit Jesuit -- went 28-0 and won Michigan Class A state title.
Thanks for the info!  We greatly appreciate your input

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: June 10, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »

Keep it up, great job!  How are the chances on some of the other potential recruits in 2017?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: June 10, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
Ike's shot charts & zones from EYBL play this year are included in this post. 24/47 for 51.1% 2FG, 0/4 3FG.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: June 10, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »
He can make lay-ups!  Nothing wrong with that as he will 5 years to improve his range! 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: June 10, 2016, 01:05:27 PM »
I do not know

You could pretty much start and end your posts right there
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: June 10, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
He can make lay-ups!  Nothing wrong with that as he will 5 years to improve his range!

Only makes da easy lay ups, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: June 10, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »
You could pretty much start and end your posts right there
I just do not want people think I have inside information as some posters claim they have.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: June 10, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
The kid delayed his visits to other schools like 29 times.  Unless Wojo was calling him on different phone numbers pretending to be the head coaches at those other schools telling him not to come visit them quite yet, I think the delays were more on Young than they were on Wojo.
It could be Young was waiting on MU and that is why he cancelled those other visits. What we do know is that Wojo dropped Wally, because he thought the had the position filled. Even, if Wally's parents were a pain in the butt as some posters claim, would Wojo have cut him, if he thought he could not fill the position? My guess is that Wojo thought he had Young in his back pocket and either misjudged the situation or screwed it up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: June 10, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »
It could be Young was waiting on MU and that is why he cancelled those other visits. What we do know is that Wojo dropped Wally, because he thought the had the position filled. Even, if Wally's parents were a pain in the butt as some posters claim, would Wojo have cut him, if he thought he could not fill the position? My guess is that Wojo thought he had Young in his back pocket and either misjudged the situation or screwed it up.

Hilarious.  You say "what we do know" and then admit you know nothing, but are guessing.

Not surprisingly, you couldn't be more off here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1823 on: June 11, 2016, 12:59:06 AM »
Exactly right, ranked pretty low but his Dad thinks he is going to be star, we will see if he is right.  Gill was the key recruit, to bad.  Can not say he made a wrong choice.
Still not sure how good a recruiter Wojo is, has lost 4 recruiting battles in spring the last 2 years and Howard and Bailey were SJ recruits.  2017 will be interesting with
only 1 big on the team the following year.

Young was the first choice over Gill. Not close. Your narrative that wojo can't recruit because he lost to two blue bloods recruiting two of the most coveted grad transfers and he had two misses this season on recruits that weren't going to move the needle much is fairly laughable. Top ten class his first year, top 20 class his second, one of the best grad transfers available his first summer, high quality transfer his second summer, and one of the best grad transfers available his third summer.

I know you don't like wojo but at least try to make arguments that make sense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1824 on: June 11, 2016, 04:05:47 AM »

My guess is that you've read too many Heisenberg posts.  It is quite possible that Wojo let Wally go because Wally was not able to make the same commitment to work on his game that every other member of the mens basketball program was making due to his need to train for the high jump which would also explain the track scholarship for next year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback