collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 32 Years Ago Today ...  (Read 1905 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
32 Years Ago Today ...
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
February 23, 1985

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-02-24/sports/sp-24635_1_bob-knight

Indiana Coach Bob Knight received three technical fouls, including one for throwing a chair across the court, and was ejected five minutes into the Hoosiers' Big Ten basketball game with Purdue Saturday. Purdue went on to win, 72-63.

Knight became angry when officials called a foul on Indiana's Steve Alford with 15:59 left in the first half. Knight protested again when a foul was called against Indiana's Marty Simmons with 15:01 remaining. Then as Purdue inbounded the ball, a foul was called on the Hoosiers' Daryl Thomas. Knight was given his first technical after swearing at an official. He then picked up a chair and threw it across the court, producing the second technical.

When he continued to argue with the officials, Knight was ejected with his third technical and left the court after Indiana Athletic Director Ralph Floyd came to the floor to talk with him and officials.

Purdue was leading, 11-6, at the time, and the Boilermakers' Steve Reid went to the free-throw line to shoot six foul shots. He made three.

jsglow

• All American
Re: 32 Years Ago Today ...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
I have a good friend who was a Senior at IU and was at the game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »
Brush with silliness:

I had just arrived in Minneapolis as a sportswriter and actually covered Indiana's very next game. The Hoosiers beat the Gophers and I don't remember much about the game. I do remember putting a sentence in my article along the lines of, "Knight was upset with the call, but he couldn't react the way he did last game because the benches at Williams Arena are bolted to the floor."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »
Knight's shooting form is terrible.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »

brandx

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
The weirdest thing is that throwing the chair did not get him ejected.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:59:23 AM »
Ahh....the good old days.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Does anybody know if Bobby Knight is well, sick, chillin' or whatever? He was on ESPN as one of their lead analysts for a couple of years there - I thought he sucked, but I know others liked him. But lately he seems to have totally disappeared.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »
Does anybody know if Bobby Knight is well, sick, chillin' or whatever? He was on ESPN as one of their lead analysts for a couple of years there - I thought he sucked, but I know others liked him. But lately he seems to have totally disappeared.

He appeared at a couple of Trump campaign rallies last fall.  Otherwise, his wiki bio ends with his ESPN gig.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 01:17:43 AM »
He appeared at a couple of Trump campaign rallies last fall. 

Yet another sign he's one of the all-time d-bags.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 05:58:27 AM »

i've often waffled between d-bag and great coach myself, but we can't allow ourselves to get caught up in judging people, actions, occurrences, laws, rules using today's standards.  i've also wondered often, why players would beat their own moma to play for bobby knight.  you had to know what you were getting before you put on the bike supporter.  yeah, times were a little different back in the days of woody hayes, frank kush, mike leach...just ask mike rice, eyyn'a?  it used to be "o.k." to "spank" your kid too  ?-(

if not for some of the "d-baggery" in the world, we'd have no change.  someone had to do it.  here's a provacative one for ya'll-
                      how would al be looked upon today, if not for the WINNING?  maybe we can allow bernard to chime in here, but i'll hang up and listen.

disclaimer-i grew up following al and i love him today more than yesterday. looking back, if we knew exactly what we had;  i don't think one could overstate what an iconic, enigmatic, charismatic man and what is was like to watch him in action.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »

He was terrible and unprepared so ESPN dumped him.  Who would pick him up now?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »

He was terrible and unprepared so ESPN dumped him.  Who would pick him up now?

this and, well, his politics weren't exactly in "lock step" with the media either.  iron mike and he would make a pretty good play by play-color team...on their own network
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:22:58 AM »

God forbid someone have a different opinion

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »
God forbid someone have a different opinion

I have lots of friends who have different opinions than I do. Even a few who for some reason voted the way they did.

All I said is that it was ANOTHER sign that he's a d-bag.

As for rocket saying the standards are different today ... there definitely is truth to that. And yet I'm pretty sure that, 20 years ago, coaches weren't supposed to choke their players.

Sickeningly, Bobby and his acolytes were mad at those who exposed this assault - which is exactly what it was - than at the act. There's a lot of serious shooting-the-messenger going on today, too.

feedback