collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Directv automatic renewal of ESPN Fullcourt  (Read 12427 times)

77fan88warrior

• All American
Directv automatic renewal of ESPN Fullcourt
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
I realized this morning that Directv is automatically renewing Fullcourt if you had it last year. I tried to cancel this morning and sign up for the sports package but they refused without supervisor approval. The SP has the eastern based stations that carried almost all the MU games last year in much better video quality and at a cost of $12.99 a month. ESPN Fullcourt's first programming of the year starts later today but they still gave me a hard time about cancelling.

denverMU

• All American
Re: Directv automatic renewal of ESPN Fullcourt
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
I just called Direct TV and they had renewed ESPN360 automatically also. I had them cancel and also cancel next year auto renewal.  They gave me the sportspack for $7.99 the first three months.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
All sports subscriptions are automatically renewed.  They also appear on your bill 2 months ahead of time at $0 and then 1 month ahead of time at the first installment price.  As long as you cancel prior to the season start, you shouldn't have an issue.

Once the season starts, yes it becomes a problem.  The reason is simple, many years ago all tv distributors that offered sports were getting burned by customers cancelling in the middle of the season or a few games in (for example, team's best player blows out a knee then customer says it's not worth keeping the package).  The distributors still had to pay the leagues the full revenue share and basically had to cover the costs of customers leaving after the seasons start.

Thus, this is why all sports subscriptions across all tv operators now are final once the season starts. 

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »
All sports subscriptions are automatically renewed.  They also appear on your bill 2 months ahead of time at $0 and then 1 month ahead of time at the first installment price.  As long as you cancel prior to the season start, you shouldn't have an issue.

Once the season starts, yes it becomes a problem.  The reason is simple, many years ago all tv distributors that offered sports were getting burned by customers cancelling in the middle of the season or a few games in (for example, team's best player blows out a knee then customer says it's not worth keeping the package).  The distributors still had to pay the leagues the full revenue share and basically had to cover the costs of customers leaving after the seasons start.

Thus, this is why all sports subscriptions across all tv operators now are final once the season starts.  

I brought this up last year Chicos, its a shady practice. Many of us have automatic bill pay and dont look at the bill. You should get a consumer to say yes affirmatively to the product or service before you take their money.

The real reason for the policy is that it is a revenue generator, for now, until someone initiates a class action.
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/directtv-c229030.html

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:52:37 AM by Knight Commission »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
Nothing shady about it....whenever a customer purchases a sports package by law we disclose you will be autorenewed...all those calls are recorded. Says the same thing if you buy it online.  Yes, it's a revenue generator, but of course the other part of that coin is that people are getting the best price at that renewal rate.

What would be shady and illegal is if customers were auto renewed without being told....which is why we tell them when the package is bought, 2 months before renewal, one month before renewal. 

Customers not lookinbg at their bill ...I don't know what to say about that. I look at every bill of every thing to make sure someone isn't charging something on my credit card, or on electric bill, etc

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
This is the perfect case for why you don't do auto-pay on a bill. Don't fall fall for the green idea!

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:44:35 PM »
I was never told it would automatically renew year after year.  There should be a good lawyer, who can start the class action, on scoop.  I'll be the first client.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
I was never told it would automatically renew year after year.  There should be a good lawyer, who can start the class action, on scoop.  I'll be the first client.

Actually, more than likely you did and we could pull up the audio to prove it.   ;)   Every sports subscription sold online or on the phone has this read aloud to the customer (or must be read and clicked online) before it can be sold.  Those calls are recorded.  I can't tell you how many times people will say "I was never told that" and then you pull up the digital recording and sure enough they were told it and agreed.

What I would suggest, and many customers do this, is simply ask not to be auto-renewed.  That can be done very easily and the following year you aren't renewed.  Of course, if you do decide to renew (which the vast majority of sports subscribers do), then you would miss out on the renewal rate.  That's one of the benefits offered as part of the auto-renewal...you're locked into the lowest price.

"Sports subscriptions cannot be canceled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts. 

Sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »
This is the perfect case for why you don't do auto-pay on a bill. Don't fall fall for the green idea!

I agree, though some companies do offer discounts for doing it.  Personally, I want to see my bill every month and what I'm charged.  I also check every bill from every company I do business with. 

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:36:58 PM »
Every sports subscription sold online or on the phone has this read aloud to the customer (or must be read and clicked online) before it can be sold.

"Sports subscriptions cannot be canceled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts. 

Sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season."

On the contrary, not all subscriptions renew automatically. Check DirecTV ESPN Fullcourt online. Prior to purchase there is absolutely no mention of renewal. And let's be honest, the companies are less than altruistic in their motives. Their lack of transparency is an attempt to increase revenues. Some sports subscriptions are automatic and many are not. Usually the supplier advises by email as to their forthcoming season and rates.

I certainly don't consider a notice of $0 on my bill as adequate transparency. No one should have to opt out of a sports subscription. Send an email or post card that the previous year's subscribers have an option to renew at discounted rates if they choose. That is the fair and ethical approach.
Players win awards but teams win championships

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
The provider does notify 2 months prior to the season starting and 1 month prior to the season starting on the customer's bill.

And yes, the language most certainly is included online for Full Court

Here's the cut and paste directly from it

"*To access DIRECTV HD programming, HD Access fee ($10.00/mo.), a DIRECTV Slimline Dish, along with a DIRECTV HD receiver (H20, H21, H23, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23), HD television equipment and a qualifying programming package are required.

**Some interactive services may require a phone line connection and/or an additional service fee. For full Mix Channel and interactive functionality, a D10 (or later) model interactive DIRECTV Receiver is required.

Professional and collegiate sports subscriptions sold separately. Games telecast locally may also be included in ESPN FULL COURT.

Sports subscriptions cannot be canceled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts. To receive sports programming, a DIRECTV® subscription is required and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously connected to the same land-based phone line.

Sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season.
"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:45:05 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »
The provider does notify 2 months prior to the season starting and 1 month prior to the season starting on the customer's bill.

There is no specific notification that the subscription will automatically be renewed. That is the point. The fact that the renewal is mentioned by way of a $0 amount prior to the actual renewal is hardly the transparency I want from my vendors.

And yes, the language most certainly is included online for Full Court

Here's the cut and paste directly from it

"*To access DIRECTV HD programming, HD Access fee ($10.00/mo.), a DIRECTV Slimline Dish, along with a DIRECTV HD receiver (H20, H21, H23, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23), HD television equipment and a qualifying programming package are required.

**Some interactive services may require a phone line connection and/or an additional service fee. For full Mix Channel and interactive functionality, a D10 (or later) model interactive DIRECTV Receiver is required.

Professional and collegiate sports subscriptions sold separately. Games telecast locally may also be included in ESPN FULL COURT.

Sports subscriptions cannot be canceled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts. To receive sports programming, a DIRECTV® subscription is required and all DIRECTV Receivers must be continuously connected to the same land-based phone line.

Sports subscriptions automatically continue each year at a special renewal rate, provided DIRECTV carries these services, unless subscriber calls to cancel prior to the start of the season.
"

You neglect to mention that this info requires someone to click on Additional Details which is buried at the bottom of the page. Further, if one is a customer of Directv, as I am, there is no mention of the automatic renewal throghout the process when one initially chooses the package.

Listen, I love Directv. And I understand marketing. But the whole process of automatic renewal is abundantly non-consumer choice. All they would have to do is specifically notify the customer they have a choice. To do less is to act irresponsibly.

romey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

Listen, I love Directv. And I understand marketing. But the whole process of automatic renewal is abundantly non-consumer choice. All they would have to do is specifically notify the customer they have a choice. To do less is to act irresponsibly.

[/quote]
But Dacoach, if they did that, people might actually choose not to renew!  We all know THAT is why they don't make it abundantly clear that you have a choice.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »

I understand where you are coming from, I really do.  Like I said, there are a few customers each year get upset.  Then we pull the audio calls, play them for the customer and 99.9% of the time the customer then realizes "oops, you were right, you did say that and I just wasn't paying attention"...on top of that we show them the bills with information on there.  We obviously want to do what's right by the customer, but with sports subscriptions and the way the deals work with the leagues, once that season starts we're on the hook to pay the full boat to the league.  Almost $700 million to the NFL this year alone.  Then you factor in the checks that are written to MLB, NCAA, ESPN, NHL, NBA, etc...well you get the idea.  So when you tell the customer up front it's auto-renewing the following year and they say "that's fine", then the following year we give them a 60 day notice AND a 30 day notice, but then call 3 weeks into the season to say they want to cancel because they didn't know.  Well, I think you can see the flip side of the argument as well. 

If you order via phone the agent CANNOT add the service without telling you it auto-renews.  Every call is recorded, these agents can be fired for not telling the customer this.  It's like reading miranda rights.   :)   

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
I appreciate that they may be notifying the customer by phone 1 year prior to the current year. However, their notification for online sales is certainly less than obvious. In neither case there seems to be no opt out choice available.

Clearly I am opposed to requiring opt out. It just seems the customer is entitled to a much more obvious choice to renew or not 30-60 days before the season. Why isn't that a reasonable request? It would still avoid the customers challenging their inclusion. When packages cost up to $380, I don't find a good reason to avoid greater transparency.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 01:15:28 AM »
but then call 3 weeks into the season to say they want to cancel because they didn't know
I think you are fighting a losing battle here Chicos based upon normal contract procedures. I still think that most of us think that contracts involve written form. I don't think most people are thinking 12 months out when we sign up for a game we are jonesing to see. I think DTV is taking advantage of the current electronic system.  I believe I remember you condoning turning sports packages on and off in the past? DTV sells a crap product in Fullcourt and now they are shoving it down our throat based upon a previous subscription? We all know that SNY has a superior video product compared to FC. I only found out about quality because I needed to see one game on ESPNU last year and had to sign up for a sports subscription to see the game.. I still find it reprehensible that I was given a hard time about cancelling FC when a single game had not been televised!!!!! Don't pretend you don't understand the common fan's concern versus big brother back dooring us!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »
You were still allowed to cancel though, right?  So what's the real problem?

Look at it this way.  Let's say you purchased a one year subscription to the Scout premium board.  Scout would send you no advance notification at all, and then they would absolutely refuse to refund your money in any way, even if you escalated to a supervisor.  The only way you'd be able to get a refund would be to hassle Dodds once a week for four months.  Just sayin'

PS - I also think it's kind of shady by Direct TV.  I understand the default opt-in, but considering they send emails letting me know how to program my remote, one would think they could easily send an email letting people know that they have a sports package that is about to trigger.  The behavior is inconsistent from a company that has such outstanding customer service in many other ways.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
I don't why people are not understanding something.  You are notified NOT ONLY 1 year prior to the next season, but 2 months prior, and 1 month prior.

In other words, the ESPN FullCourt season started mid November, you were first notified in mid September on your bill, plain as day, you were then notified in October on your bill, plain as day.

That is WRITTEN NOTICE...TWICE.   

As for the "crap product"....ESPN provides the product.  The vast majority of people in this country are SD, we have been pushing ESPN very hard to provide it in HD, but they won't do it because of the cost.

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 12:10:57 PM »
Chico, it is the form of notification that we consider inadequate. You can notify someone 100 times but if the notification isn't clear, it is insufficient. Whenever I have a magazine subscription they mail me at least 2 specific notices prior to renewal with my options.

Directv buries the notification within their standard bill. You tell which method is preferable? Clearly Directv could do a better job and it is counting on their lack of transparency to increase sales. Just because they can get away with it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
Chico, it is the form of notification that we consider inadequate. You can notify someone 100 times but if the notification isn't clear, it is insufficient. Whenever I have a magazine subscription they mail me at least 2 specific notices prior to renewal with my options.

Directv buries the notification within their standard bill. You tell which method is preferable? Clearly Directv could do a better job and it is counting on their lack of transparency to increase sales. Just because they can get away with it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

On your bill, big, black text....two different locations on the bill....not in the legal section....plain as day....all you have to do is....look at the bill.   Again, I don't what to say.   What would you like, a singing telegram?   ;)   Send an email, and customers will claim it didn't get there.  Will claim it went into their spam folder.  Send a separate letter, that's huge expense (about $0.40 per letter) and someone will claim they didn't get the letter. 

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
On your bill, big, black text....two different locations on the bill....not in the legal section....plain as day....all you have to do is....look at the bill.   Again, I don't what to say.   What would you like, a singing telegram?   ;)   Send an email, and customers will claim it didn't get there.  Will claim it went into their spam folder.  Send a separate letter, that's huge expense (about $0.40 per letter) and someone will claim they didn't get the letter. 

Here is a copy of Directv's notice from my bill. 03/23     04/22     MLB EXTRA INNINGS 2009 Renewal Notice: No Payment Due       0.00   
If that is your version of transparency, I'm sure a future on Wall Street is yours for the asking. Since I and many others trust Directv to the point of allowing them to automatically debit our credit cards monthly, it's not too much to ask us if we want to renew annually before they place the charge on our accounts.

FYI, I found it interesting that there is no email or phone number to connect with the billing department. In fact, you cannot get a past statement off their site unless you are willing to forgo getting statements mailed to you monthly. What does that say about transparency? And to contact billing one must send a separate letter with a $0.44 stamp (huge expense as you noted). Finally, it speaks volumes that as of today they Southern California BBB shows 34,989 complaints. A prudent investigator might find those numbers alarming and an indication of a company that has no problems pushing the envelope well past ethical boundaries.

Atlanta Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 12:46:59 PM »
As a loyal DirecTV customer since 1998 I have to say I have no problem with their billing procedures.  Frankly, their automatic renewal process is no unique to them and is quite common for many business subscription services.  As an example I used to work for a company that provided data to firms in the construction industry the service (which costs substantially more than DirecTV) automatically renewed and the customer was notified of this provision at the initial contract inception.  The customer was then notified with a renewal notice which was sent 90 days prior to the end of the initial contract period.  The customer could cancel at any time prior to the anniversary date but if they failed to do so they were responsible for the renewed service which was at the same length (term) as the original contract.  Customers would routinely call to complain but frankly, their lack of attention was not the fault of my former employer any more than a DirecTV customer who fails to respond after receiving three notification of renewal.

DirecTV may be the most consistently outstanding service I receive.  Their customer service is exemplary.  If I have any problem is that they nickel and dime me on the per receiver fee.  I get their platinum tier of programming which basically means I get every channel except the pornos and I receive multiple sports packages (full court, mlb, nfl, college football); for that level of service I think I shouldn't have to pay for receivers but all in all I'll take DirecTV over cable any day of the week.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
+1
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
Question:
Why wouldn't you go all in and opt for the pornos?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DaCoach

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 06:34:45 PM »
As an example I used to work for a company that provided data to firms in the construction industry the service (which costs substantially more than DirecTV) automatically renewed and the customer was notified of this provision at the initial contract inception.  The customer was then notified with a renewal notice which was sent 90 days prior to the end of the initial contract period. 

I have the same platinum service and love Directv same as you. However, there is an immense difference in actually notifying customers and Directv's process. I would be happy if they merely sent a specific notice of intent to renew as your former company did. It's obvious to me that they intend to avoid an ethical transparency which the customer deserves.

feedback