collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: H1N1 vaccinations?  (Read 14654 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
H1N1 vaccinations?
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »
Anyone getting them?  How about for your kids?

reinko

• All American
Re: H1N1 vaccinations?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
I am in non-risk group (29 year old), so I guess I am supposed to wait awhile for women, kids, and the elderly.  But hell yeah, I want to get one.  But I do work in a public high school, so most likely gonna get one. I love medicine.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »
I am in non-risk group (29 year old), so I guess I am supposed to wait awhile for women, kids, and the elderly.  But hell yeah, I want to get one.  But I do work in a public high school, so most likely gonna get one. I love medicine.

I currently have the best vaccination there is, and that's immunity.  Unfortunately it came at the price of having to suffer through the swine flu for three days and spend another four feeling just fine quarantined in my living room.

My advice? If you start feeling the symptoms (body aches, chills, fever, coughing, sore throat), get in QUICK, get on tamiflu and stay away from everyone.  That stuff will knock down the severity of the virus quickly.  The accompanying quarantine is a pain, however.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
I'm getting the Hamthrax vaccination, having 2 kids in daycare will make me almost start using Listerine everyday.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:05 PM »
I plan on getting them for myself as a healthcare provider and for all three of my kids.  The vaccine is made the exact same way as a traditional flu vaccine and the studies on it look great... good immune response within 8-10 days and good safety profile.  Our office is seeing an astronomical amount of actual confirmed cases right now.  While most do fine at home with rest, fluids and ibuprofen, their is a high mortality rate in previously healthy teens and adolescents.  That is what is unique about H1N1.  Normally we worry about old and really young people with flu.  An article came out in JAMA yesterday that showed a very high mortality rate among children.  One word of advice, if you are going to vaccinate, do it now or it may be too late as schools are closing and the midwest as an extreme level of H1N1 activity right now. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
I'm getting the Hamthrax vaccination, having 2 kids in daycare will make me almost start using Listerine everyday.

Make sure you lather up the pits with that Listerine and it's not a bad idea to dip the old Gregory in it once or twice just in case. ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:37:52 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »
I plan on staying at a Holiday Inn Express

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »
I've read so many opinions from other doctors saying don't bother....interesting stuff here. 

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
I'm taking the swine flu hysteria with a grain of salt. Not taking it lightly, but not getting crazy with precautions. So, I guess I'm in the don't bother group.

I've never had a flu shot, and won't again this year. Some people have strong immunity systems and others don't. That's just the way it is. I'm not a doctor, or a scientist, but based on what I have read, the flu shot or Swine vaccine won't change that. Most doctors will tell you that simple steps like getting enough rest, eating healthy, and practicing good hygiene are the most important ways to stay healthy.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
I would suggest passing on the vaccine. I know a few people who have taken it and have gotten very sick for a few days.  Also, most of the people who worked on the vaccine aren't taking it and many in the medical field are avoiding it as well.  Since this was a bit of a rushed vaccine and it hasn't been tested much, not to mention it's the live virus type, I'm waiting until I know more who have had it before I even consider getting vaccinated. That said, I haven't had a regular flu shot in a long time and rarely end up sick (knock on wood) so I think I'm passing on it either way.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
Clarification: the nasal spray type is the "live virus" type.  The regular shot (which has a far greater efficacy, btw) is the regular vaccination type.

If I'm not mistaken, ALL nasal flu vaccines have a weakened, yet live virus, it's not special to H1N1.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:12:36 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 11:25:31 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
Henry Sugar, excellent article.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  As for the poster who stated"

I would suggest passing on the vaccine. I know a few people who have taken it and have gotten very sick for a few days.  Also, most of the people who worked on the vaccine aren't taking it and many in the medical field are avoiding it as well.  Since this was a bit of a rushed vaccine and it hasn't been tested much, not to mention it's the live virus type, I'm waiting until I know more who have had it before I even consider getting vaccinated

Do some research my friend before offering advice.  This is the type of garbage many are spewing.  The vaccine is made the exact same way as a regular flu shot by the exact same manufacturers who make the flu shot every year... and it has been tested much.  There are five studies out and the results look excellent... robust immune response and rare serious side effects. As the New Yorker states, those who need to be protected are kids, the mortality rate is much much higher for kids.  If you have kids of your own, do them a favor and protect yourselves so you don't give the infection to your kids.  The CDC predicts a 70% chance of catching the virus if one family member also has the infecton.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
If I get the flu I will do the norm:  Chill on the couch, get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.

I've never gotten a flu shot before, and I'm not overly worried about this flu season either besides making a point to wash my hands more often.  Hopefully everyone at work will do what's best for everyone and stay home if they get sick.

I'll head to a doctor if I'm sick for a while to the point that I can't keep myself hydrated, but besides that I don't see a point to waste my time and the doctor's time.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 04:18:35 PM »
Henry Sugar, excellent article.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  As for the poster who stated"

Do some research my friend before offering advice.  This is the type of garbage many are spewing.  The vaccine is made the exact same way as a regular flu shot by the exact same manufacturers who make the flu shot every year... and it has been tested much.  There are five studies out and the results look excellent... robust immune response and rare serious side effects. As the New Yorker states, those who need to be protected are kids, the mortality rate is much much higher for kids.  If you have kids of your own, do them a favor and protect yourselves so you don't give the infection to your kids.  The CDC predicts a 70% chance of catching the virus if one family member also has the infecton.

I'm just relaying what my family members that works in the medical field have said.  My mother has had a couple co-workers out sick already this year shortly after they were immunized.  Could it have been something other than the vaccine that got them sick, sure could have.  I just don't like the coincidence. I'm also someone who has a fairly strong immune system and does not normally get the normal influenza vaccine because there are people out there who need it more than I do so I have the same thought process with the H1N1 vaccine.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't take it if you want to be immunized but I for one am going to pass, just as I have with the normal vaccine.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 04:45:18 PM »

I would suggest passing on the vaccine. I know a few people who have taken it and have gotten very sick for a few days.  Also, most of the people who worked on the vaccine aren't taking it and many in the medical field are avoiding it as well.  Since this was a bit of a rushed vaccine and it hasn't been tested much, not to mention it's the live virus type, I'm waiting until I know more who have had it before I even consider getting vaccinated

Our pediatrician is recommending NO for our kids.  I believe I read where Dr. Sears is waivering as well.  I never know what to believe with the CDC to be perfectly honest.  I guess if things go bad, you can always sue Uncle Sam....oh wait, no you can't.   >:(

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
If the most freakish athlete on this planet can get it, I am definetly getting the vaccination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4562956

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »
Well, despite my earlier attempt at humor, here's the word I got from a virologist, and that's basically, don't do the vaccine.  I would ignore "media" reports about it personally (and actually, even most MDs opinions), but that's just me...

Sure, fabricate some quasi-effective vaccine that will force an even stronger evolutionary response so we can confront a global killer 5 years down the road. Sounds 'bout right to me. Bacteria aren't the only microorganisms that evolve and adapt in response to such treatments . . .

Sorry, not in very good humor this morning, but the aforementioned is a pretty accurate assessment of what's coming. I do believe a relatively functional vaccine will emerge, but those of us who think longer term and harbor a deep-seated distrust of Big Pharma ask at what cost.

Look for major neurological problems in the coming years. Guillain Barre-like symptoms will be the norm. I wouldn't be surprised to see waivers of some sort issued with this latest batch of vaccines - "we offer a relatively effective preventive measure, but don't come crying to us when you can no longer perambulate". Seen this kind of @#$% before.

The test trials will be perfunctory and narrow. Honestly, it would be better to let this virus run its course, thereby conferring some immunity. Besides, we can't possibly produce enough (vaccine) to go round - wait and see what happens when people who are expecting it are denied.

I would never openly encourage others to avoid taking a vaccine, particularly if the side-effects are limited, but personally, I will not receive any vaccine this year, and should they become mandatory, I will simply falsify documents.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »
If the most freakish athlete on this planet can get it, I am definetly getting the vaccination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4562956

Lebron puts his pants on just like you and I, and his athleticism has little if anything to do with immunity. Isn't that like saying pro athletes aren't likely to get cancer?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 06:02:18 PM »
Well, despite my earlier attempt at humor, here's the word I got from a virologist, and that's basically, don't do the vaccine.  I would ignore "media" reports about it personally (and actually, even most MDs opinions), but that's just me...

That's basically what I'm hearing, flu shot ok but avoid the vaccine for H1N1.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
As a bit of info .. I represent my village on our Board of Heath .. what I found interesting was that we will be running our usual Flu shot clinics .. which cost $30 a pop.

But the H1N1 shot, (when it arrives) will be no charge, as the Feds are picking up the entire cost .. and giving money to local health boards to staff the nurses/admin of the shot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »
As a bit of info .. I represent my village on our Board of Heath .. what I found interesting was that we will be running our usual Flu shot clinics .. which cost $30 a pop.

But the H1N1 shot, (when it arrives) will be no charge, as the Feds are picking up the entire cost .. and giving money to local health boards to staff the nurses/admin of the shot.

$30?  I guess my company is subsidizing a lot of it.  We have to pay $10.  Walgreens and Target are offering them for $24 I believe.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 06:45:20 PM »
I buy insurance for my car and my house.   I hope to never file a claim, and it can be uncomfortable making the payment, but I do it.   Flu vaccines are like insurance against the flu.   I've gotten them every year for the last 15 through work.   I have no idea whether I would have gotten the flu without them, but considering I spend a lot of time around poor sick people, as well as having my sleep patterns horribly disrupted, I am not willing to take a chance on this one. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »
I refuse to participate in any influenza outbreaks . that usually works for me
plus washing my hands continously

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:32 PM »
I buy insurance for my car and my house.   I hope to never file a claim, and it can be uncomfortable making the payment, but I do it.   Flu vaccines are like insurance against the flu.   I've gotten them every year for the last 15 through work.   I have no idea whether I would have gotten the flu without them, but considering I spend a lot of time around poor sick people, as well as having my sleep patterns horribly disrupted, I am not willing to take a chance on this one. 

In 1976, during the first swine flu scare, 1 person died from the flu itself.  Hundreds were killed or seriously wounded by the government-distributed inoculation for the flu.

Obviously science has progressed since then, but new vaccines that have had limited testing because they're being rushed out often do more harm than good.

feedback