'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who are Marquette's Rivals?  (Read 11429 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Who are Marquette's Rivals?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2022, 09:08:23 AM »
Based on the number of comments about Dayton posted on this board, one could argue they're probably our third biggest rival (after Wisconsin and Notre Dame).

The hate is still strong nearly 14 years removed from the last meeting.

Have to wonder, if we'd won that game in 08 and/or UDpride never came on here to troll, would there be nearly as much disdain for them? I'm not sure I'd have given them a second thought.
Maigh Eo for Sam

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
Wisconsin 65 (the ONLY current non conference rival, and it is not up for debate)

Big East:

St. John's    0
Providence   10 (this stands out for me-lots of good games, competing for similar upper middle class of BE)
Villanova      5 (we think they are a rival; they do not)
Creighton     5 (see Providence and the number of close, fun games merits rivalry status)
Xavier          5 (dislike helps this one)
Connecticut  0 (not yet)
Butler          0 (meh)
Georgetown  0 (don't feel it; and they certainly don't)
Seton Hall    5 (dislike helps this one)
DePaul         5 (should be bigger, but it just doesn't feel that way)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2022, 11:18:15 AM »
UW-Madison doesn't want us to be their biggest rival, but who else is there that would consider them a rival? Indiana and Purdue have each other? Ohio State and Michigan State both look at Michigan first. For Iowa, Cy-Hawk will always be bigger. So who does that leave? Minnesota? I suppose, but like Marquette, it's not the rival UW wants.

It's us, whether they want to admit it or not. And in the last 20 years, UW is 27-8 against Minnesota and 10-10 against us. Is it a rivalry when you win 77% of the time?

Yeah! They're stuck with us ... and with the knowledge that they lost 4 of 7 to The Worst Coach In Basketball History!!

Seriously, brew, good points.

For me, I reluctantly moved Madison ahead of ND a few years ago simply because we play one and not the other ... but with ND back on the schedule for the next two years, I'll probably reverse that again. I plan on doing whatever I can to get to the ND game in Milwaukee next season, so Shaka better have our heroes ready!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2022, 11:18:46 AM »
UW-Madison doesn't want us to be their biggest rival, but who else is there that would consider them a rival? Indiana and Purdue have each other? Ohio State and Michigan State both look at Michigan first. For Iowa, Cy-Hawk will always be bigger. So who does that leave? Minnesota? I suppose, but like Marquette, it's not the rival UW wants.

It's us, whether they want to admit it or not. And in the last 20 years, UW is 27-8 against Minnesota and 10-10 against us. Is it a rivalry when you win 77% of the time?

for Wisconsin? Obviously Harvard, since all of their students turned down the Crimson to go to Madison.

Yes, it still is a rivalry, since it's still a game that gets circled on the schedule, is for bragging rights, and they're extra pissed off if they lose, kind of us like us with DePaul. Losing to Butler or Villanova is one thing, this place melts down when we lose to DePaul. Bucky fans only denly we're a rival out of arrogance and to needle us. They know we are.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
Wisconsin doesn’t have rivals.  Everyone wants to be them and the fans are too classy to hate another team or school.  They mostly pity other schools
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
Losing to Butler or Villanova is one thing, this place melts down when we lose to DePaul.

Does Scoop melt down because it's our archrival DePaul ... or because DePaul has sucked for years and years and years, and any loss to a sucky program is automatically a bad loss?

When we lost to DePaul in 2016, this place did melt down ... but it was because we all knew that a loss to that sh!t team was gonna kill us when it came to Selection Sunday. As it did.

And after we lost to DePaul last year, I said Wojo should be fired -- right then and there, during the season. It wasn't because it was DePaul, it was because we needed to win but we instead lost to the worst team in the Big East. Again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mug644

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2022, 04:55:40 PM »
Wisconsin 35
Notre Dame 24
Louisville 22
DePaul 18
UW-Milwaukee 1

My comments below the scoring: "Marquette's conference history (none for many years, then in different conferences, then too much conference realignment) impacts its rivalries. That's most notable now the MU doesn't play Notre Dame and Louisville much any more.

Is it a rivalry (with UW-Milwaukee) if one team has not won a single game?! MU is 39-0 against Milwaukee."

Can I change my votes? I'd like to give Seton Hall 25, taking them equally from ND and Louisville.

They've become quite hated around here, partly because of Willard and partly the tight games. But mostly because there seems to always be "villains" on their side that match up with "our heroes". Powell-Markus, Delgado-Theo. Today was Aiken-Morsell.

Fun, intense games. It will be a real battle at their place.

feedback