[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Alcohol Policy for Students  (Read 6524 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
New Alcohol Policy for Students
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »
Check out the new policies that will fine you $50 just for possessing alcohol-related paraphernalia. Should make for great student crowds at the BC...

http://www.marquette.edu/osd/policies/alcohol_policy.shtml

real chili 83

• All American
Re: New Alcohol Policy for Students
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
We had lots of level C and D violations on 10 south in Schroeder.  Like the time we snuck 10 kegs through the back door of Saga, down the basement hallway, and straight up the elevator to the 10th floor.  Funny how the elevator was packed full of guys from 10 south on each trip.

Suppose this means that the block party is out this fall.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
Alot of schools have these fine systems in place already, I am pretty surprised by the move though. Didn't hear about any big issues last year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
Collection? So an empty bottle would be "okay"?
SS Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:02 PM »
Hate to tell you cats, but we were limited to six half barrels per each side of the floor on Schroeder and were pissed when it was cut from 8 when some kitten from 10 South launched an empty out of the lounge window.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »
Was Flo running Schroeder back then? 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
We had lots of level C and D violations on 10 south in Schroeder.  Like the time we snuck 10 kegs through the back door of Saga, down the basement hallway, and straight up the elevator to the 10th floor.  Funny how the elevator was packed full of guys from 10 south on each trip.

Suppose this means that the block party is out this fall.

Backdoor? Basement? WEAK! We just put the kegs in the "blue bins," covered them in blankets and walked them right in the front door. Ahhh, good old dorm life.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:36 PM »
Yeah, I would have been expended prior to my third alcohol transgression.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:46:26 PM »
Lotta effin stairs involved!  Kinda havin' to walk uphill to school both ways.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:22 PM »
Was Flo running Schroeder back then? 

"I don't know Flo"...too busy with the kegger residuals to hob nob with the Po Po.  Fr. Naus was the man to head off trouble. I do know that the fog of the holy herb was given a pass, yet, heaven forbid if you fried up a fillet from the butcher (on Wells next to Club Kernan's) on the toaster oven. We used to light up a bowl to cover up the smell of marbleized meat.  

Yes, we were privileged and we took full advantage of it.  Hell, it wasn't until last reunion that I knew Abe Lincoln delivered some speech right outside of Schroeder.  

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »
Ya, Fr. Naus was pretty cool, even if he was from the wrong side of the 10th floor.   ;D  Not sure what year you were on 10 north....perhaphs you might have crossed paths with Warthog.....he was there the year before my two years on 10 south.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04:18 AM »
The drinking age was lower and in transition when I started at MU so it was all legal then, but under these new regs I wouldn't have made it to Labor Day my freshman year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
I just hope MU's "enforcement" uses the idea of "keeping kids safe" vs eliminating alcohol.

I'm not saying they should turn a blind eye, but if the kids are in their rooms and are relatively quiet, leave them alone.

Now, if they are running up and down the hall with bottles of booze (we did, but whatever), and/or putting themselves in danger (we did this as well) then MU has no choice but to step in.

Kids just have to be smart.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »
Category A:

Possession and/or consumption of alcohol by a person under 21
Intoxication of a person, regardless of legal drinking age
Collections of containers that contain or previously contained alcohol
Possession or use of alcohol-related paraphernalia
Misrepresentation of age or possession of false documentation of age

You can't even be drunk in the dorms now?  Yikes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
I really doubt they are going to enforce that too strictly.  If you not causing a problem  they will likely look the other way.  However, if you are yelling or otherwise being a nuisance, they now have a reason to punish you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
You can't even be drunk in the dorms now?  Yikes.

I suspect it'll be more like how police use "public intoxication" statutes. Which is to say, unless you're acting like a complete a**, you probably have nothing to worry about.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »
I expect this is all CYA and they are going to allow wide discretion on this.  I can't imagine they are going to go after someone wearing a Lakefront Brewery tshirt and that is the only offense.  Seems like strange territory to be wondering into for MU
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
I expect this is all CYA and they are going to allow wide discretion on this.  I can't imagine they are going to go after someone wearing a Lakefront Brewery tshirt and that is the only offense.  Seems like strange territory to be wondering into for MU

What about having a shot glass in your room?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
I really doubt they are going to enforce that too strictly.  If you not causing a problem  they will likely look the other way.  However, if you are yelling or otherwise being a nuisance, they now have a reason to punish you.

Sometimes I wish the Scoop would follow this rule.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »

So would a home-brewing kit be an offense?

"I swear, it was just a sweet tasting non-alcoholic concoction of malted grain and crisp, refreshing hops a couple days ago.  I have no idea how all that alcohol got in there."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
So would a home-brewing kit be an offense?

"I swear, it was just a sweet tasting non-alcoholic concoction of malted grain and crisp, refreshing hops a couple days ago.  I have no idea how all that alcohol got in there."

Science experiment.

Also, there is just enough room (or there used to be) behind the built in desks in OD to store a crap load of beer.

Pro tip: If you face east, you have a free dumpster out your window.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »
What about having a shot glass in your room?

Had a friend across the hall in East that had an Absolute bottle that was a fish tank....clearly that would be banned.

I could see this both as nothing or a new stick for a wet harry cat of an RA to get his/her jollies. busting people
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 03:47:57 PM »
Backdoor? Basement? WEAK! We just put the kegs in the "blue bins," covered them in blankets and walked them right in the front door. Ahhh, good old dorm life.

At Schroder we had an operation.  An "inside man" stood in the basement and someone would sit in the ditch in front of Schroeder and pass cans through the openable window.  Someone else stood on watch on the sidewalk.  Then it was just a simple elevator ride upstairs. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »
Well my 18 year old son just moved into the dorm and probably three infractions of some sort already. I better keep a slush fund handy for him so my wife is kept out of the loop.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
Well my 18 year old son just moved into the dorm and probably three infractions of some sort already. I better keep a slush fund handy for him so my wife is kept out of the loop.

^^ good luck to him.

When I was a frosh (8 years ago), kids got written up like crazy.  IMO, Student Affairs has the RA's working like detectives trying to catch kids in the act.  I understand trying to curb underage drinking, especially under your own roof, but I found the policy at most other colleges to be much more lenient -- i.e. if the door is closed and there aren't complaints coming about the room being obnoxious -- you let it be.  You don't knock on the door and then search the room, closets, fridge, garbage cans, etc for beers.  Same story in Schroeder. 

And when you get written up?  You have to do things like appear in front of a student/faculty board of directors of some sort and have them grill you about why you were drinking and how many alcoholic beverages you normally consumer in a given week.  Give me a break.  These are college kids.  Get written up two or three times (in a whole school year, mind you)?  Go talk to the university drug and alcohol abuse counselor and see if you have a binge drinking problem.  Oh, and the university is going to send a letter home to your parents saying they see drug and alcohol habits forming and suggest you seek professional guidance.  Yea, that won't freak your parents out who are paying your tuition -- when really, you're just doing what normal college kids do, which is ocassionally have a couple beers behind closed doors. 

feedback