[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Airing of Grievences Thread  (Read 62200 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Airing of Grievences Thread
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
gotcha. My wife has three so I wanted to know your definition.  One on her back, one on her trap and one on her outer forearm (reading "Cura Personalis").

I don't get full tattoo sleeves but to each their own. The one I will never understand is the neck, especially the throat.  That has to hurt like hell and there's no covering that one up!

This is NOT tatted up by my definition..and yes, the arm sleeves...I don't think they look good on men, on women...even less so, and there are plenty of them that have them. Or even if it's not technically a sleeve, but several tats on the arms...No no no! Why...just...why?? In a perfect world, I'd like to see them have none, and the only piercings they have would be their ears.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »
I have a new grievance of people who have a problem with saying bees biting, instead of bees stinging.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
This thread has become pet peeves, which I don't believe was the OP's intention. But that's cool. Pet peeves are fun.

Agree with CTWarrior about "it is what it is." Coaches say it all the time. I used to turn to my friends and say, "I'll give a coach $100 if just one time he says, "It is what it isn't.'"

My biggest pet peeve the last couple of years is the incessant use of "right?" by those talking, often in the middle of sentences. People on TV do it all the time, but it's filtered down to "regular folks," too. Most recently, we had a school-wide coaches meeting and one of the guest speakers did it constantly. Drove me nuts.

It goes something like this:

"The bridge was closed right? so I had to walk around. Got to the end of the road right? and so the cop there stopped me and said I had to go back. Now I'm getting pissed right? and it's hard for me to contain my temper. But I'm a teacher right? and I can't afford to act out in public."

That isn't even a really extreme example. Happens all the time. Aaaagh!

The other fairly recent speech-pattern tick is starting sentences with the word "so."

Person 1: "Are you going to the movies tonight?"

Person 2: "So, I was going to, but something came up."

Person 1: "What came up?"

Person 2: "So, I was talking with one of my friends right? and she needed my help."

Similarly:  constant repetition of the word "like" -- often in place of "said".  Other times as some sort of strange modifier.  And sometimes it's just instead of a good old-fashioned, "ummmm."

My kids drive me crazy with this.  And then I drive them crazy.  When it's particularly bad, I'll hold my hands up and count on my fingers each time they say it.  They get the picture pretty quickly when I easily hit double digits within a minute.  "And so, I...like...saw John, and I was like 'where were you yesterday?' and he was like, 'I wanted to go, but I was...like...really tired...like totally exhausted!.' And so I was like, 'I...like...totally get it.  It's...like...ridiculous how much homework we had last light.  Like, really crazy!' and he was like, 'I know, right?'"

I catch myself doing it from time to time.  I really don't like that.   ;)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #279 on: August 28, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »
When the a$$hole I work with always brings up politics and tries to have a “nice conversation” knowing damn well we will never see eye to eye and just wants to start an argument

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2019, 03:26:29 PM »
When the a$$hole I work with always brings up politics and tries to have a “nice conversation” knowing damn well we will never see eye to eye and just wants to start an argument

You work with Chicos?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
Similarly:  constant repetition of the word "like" -- often in place of "said".  Other times as some sort of strange modifier.  And sometimes it's just instead of a good old-fashioned, "ummmm."

My kids drive me crazy with this.  And then I drive them crazy.  When it's particularly bad, I'll hold my hands up and count on my fingers each time they say it.  They get the picture pretty quickly when I easily hit double digits within a minute.  "And so, I...like...saw John, and I was like 'where were you yesterday?' and he was like, 'I wanted to go, but I was...like...really tired...like totally exhausted!.' And so I was like, 'I...like...totally get it.  It's...like...ridiculous how much homework we had last light.  Like, really crazy!' and he was like, 'I know, right?'"

I catch myself doing it from time to time.  I really don't like that.   ;)

Definitely agree, but that's been going on for a long time. I had friends who said "like" constantly when I was in grade school and high school.

How about using "goes" instead of "said" or "says." And the funny thing is, the person often says it twice, like this:

"I was talkin' to my girlfriend, and, like, she goes she goes, 'Are you an idiot?' And I go I go, 'I'm not the idiot, you're the idiot.' So, like, she goes she goes, 'Take it back, you idiot.' Well, like, um, she's not my girlfriend any more, right? My mom asks if I'm upset, so I go I go, 'Like no, not really.'"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2019, 03:32:57 PM »
Definitely agree, but that's been going on for a long time. I had friends who said "like" constantly when I was in grade school and high school.

How about using "goes" instead of "said" or "says." And the funny thing is, the person often says it twice, like this:

"I was talkin' to my girlfriend, and, like, she goes she goes, 'Are you an idiot?' And I go I go, 'I'm not the idiot, you're the idiot.' So, like, she goes she goes, 'Take it back, you idiot.' Well, like, um, she's not my girlfriend any more, right? My mom asks if I'm upset, so I go I go, 'Like no, not really.'"

U must hang with some really stupid people.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
Had one of those recently.  I said that we can do this, but we aren't going to change each other's minds and we will just end up pissed.  So lets talk about anything else, like....
We then spent a couple of hours on topics where we could educate each other and find common ground.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »
eh.  NM.  wrong thread.  I know.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:14:42 PM by buckchuckler »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2019, 03:58:34 PM »
.... I'm apparently the only music fan that knows who Waldo Jeffers was. Grievance?

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »
.... I'm apparently the only music fan that knows who Waldo Jeffers was. Grievance?

had to look it up. I love Lou but have to admit the Gift didn't click for me. Will give it another chance.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2019, 04:25:58 PM »
gotcha. My wife has three so I wanted to know your definition.  One on her back, one on her trap and one on her outer forearm (reading "Cura Personalis"

Feel stupid asking but she has one on her trap?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »

I'm guessing trapezius muscle

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
Haha—that’s great

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »

I didn’t want to ask first.   Thanks Len

(I would not have guessed her trapezius)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
Why are so many women these days "tatted" up, and why do so few wear make up anymore unless it's a "special" occasion of some sort??
Because styles change?  You also don't see a lot of hoop skirts or knee-length bathing suits these days either.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
Euphemism?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
Because styles change?  You also don't see a lot of hoop skirts or knee-length bathing suits these days either.

You also don't see women wearing dresses very often either anymore...sure, they still do, again if it's a special occasion or they need to "dress up" for something, but rarely I'd say do they ever go in their closet and pick out a dress to wear for the day "just because". Nor do many put on make up when they leave the house no matter where they are going or how long they will be gone. It used to be commonplace for both. Sad.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2019, 04:59:29 PM »
Because styles change? 

Which is exactly the best reason not to get a tattoo.

Also, I think you are wrong that fewer women are wearing makeup.  Eyeshadow, especially in the daytime, is out of style right now, which is what you might be noticing.  Neutral lipstick and blush colors are also more popular now.  What you might assume is "no makeup" might be simply more natural-looking makeup.
Have some patience, FFS.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #295 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:26 PM »
You also don't see women wearing dresses very often either anymore...sure, they still do, again if it's a special occasion or they need to "dress up" for something, but rarely I'd say do they ever go in their closet and pick out a dress to wear for the day "just because". Nor do many put on make up when they leave the house no matter where they are going or how long they will be gone. It used to be commonplace for both. Sad.

Are you for real?  I’m sure you’re a clean shaven,striking lad who wears a shirt, tie and a pair of slacks everyday. Maybe even a nice sweater when there’s a chill in the air.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
You also don't see women wearing dresses very often either anymore...sure, they still do, again if it's a special occasion or they need to "dress up" for something, but rarely I'd say do they ever go in their closet and pick out a dress to wear for the day "just because".

WTF are you talking about? I see way more women wearing dresses for casual and daywear than I did twenty or thirty years ago.  Other than jeans (which I wear mostly on Casual Friday), I own exactly two pairs of pants, and I have a closet full of dresses.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
Are you for real?  I’m sure you’re a clean shaven,striking lad who wears a shirt, tie and a pair of slacks everyday. Maybe even a nice sweater when there’s a chill in the air.

Oh, for the good old days when your woman would have supper waiting on the table for you when you walked through the front door, and went to bed with her hair in curlers and her face covered in cold cream.
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2019, 05:06:32 PM »
Which is exactly the best reason not to get a tattoo.

Also, I think you are wrong that fewer women are wearing makeup.  Eyeshadow, especially in the daytime, is out of style right now, which is what you might be noticing.  Neutral lipstick and blush colors are also more popular now.  What you might assume is "no makeup" might be simply more natural-looking makeup.
I didn't say it, guru did, FWIW

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2019, 05:07:03 PM »
I didn't say it, guru did, FWIW

Just making the point....
Have some patience, FFS.