[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Terri Mitchell out as Head Coach  (Read 56479 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Terri Mitchell out as Head Coach
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »
You can all say it's "not cool" or lacking in class or asking what is "wrong with me" all you want. I am right.

Uhh no. Pat Summitt is arguably in the top 5 coaches of all time, men or women. Why wouldnt her son want to be like that? She has over 1k wins. In terms of my sister, you basically accused Tyler of having a mental disorder for liking womens basketball. What does that say about your thoughts on the people who play it? Thats just outrageous.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »
Auriemma is a tiny little sawed off half man who has been over compensating for his lack of stature for many, many years.

Nightmare

The Deaner is just effin with ya

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
Uhh no. Pat Summitt is arguably in the top 5 coaches of all time, men or women. Why wouldnt her son want to be like that? She has over 1k wins. In terms of my sister, you basically accused Tyler of having a mental disorder for liking womens basketball. What does that say about your thoughts on the people who play it? Thats just outrageous.

Son, you would do well to take a course in Logic. Just to scrape off some of those obtuse edges.

You are missing Nightmare's point entirely.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2014, 01:16:59 PM »
Son, you would do well to take a course in Logic. Just to scrape off some of those obtuse edges.

You are missing Nightmare's point entirely.

Enlighten us, Oh Wise One, because I must have missed it as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

Read what Nightmare wrote and how Esard replied.  He can take issue with Nightmare's comment but he needs to do so more logically.

I get this guy is friends with your kids but he is wrong on this.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
Keefe,

Having written a thesis on gender identity development, I can tell you with 100% certainty that your belief about "Mother Nature's Code being hardwired into our brains" is unequivocally false.

Yes it is true, most men follow in their father's footsteps. And most mothers want to protect their children, but it has been proved repeatedly that men and women have the exact same instincts and drives when it comes to raising children. The only "code" that mother nature has driven into us is a natural instinct to protect our children and it is found in both men and women.

What changes is how that instinct manifests itself. Most American men choose to protect the child by providing for it and toughening it up. Most American women choose to protect the child in a more literal sense. This comes from generations of gender roles being normalized, not genetics. Men and women are trained from birth in these gender roles....so much so that breaking from them was viewed as a mental disorder until recently (and some still view it this way). Do you really think your son playing with make believe guns as a child was really a product of genetics and not the society he grew up in?

And before any starts throwing the anti-pc hand grenades, I am not criticizing gender roles. They exist, it's part of the world we live in. I think they can help men and women find identity and meaning in their lives which is ultimately a good thing.  All I hope for is world where a man isn't criticized as "a case for a therapist's couch" when he decides to pursue a career that is dominated by women.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2014, 01:51:15 PM »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »

I'm going to rank the top 5 men's coaches over her every day and not look back. The pure talent disparity between the top women's teams and the bottom (not to mention the #1 to, say, the #6) is so ridiculous that, no, I'm not buying she's as good of a coach.

The fact that there were TWO undefeated teams that met in the championship game this year should tell you enough...and it was a blowout!
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2014, 01:53:45 PM »
You're suggesting all those in therapy have mental disorders?

I am suggesting this Summit kid may be a nice kid and coach, but he's got Mommy issues in spades. Suggesting otherwise is just being willfully ignorant.

You know what my thoughts are about people who play women's basketball? They're women.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2014, 02:06:34 PM »
I am suggesting this Summit kid may be a nice kid and coach, but he's got Mommy issues in spades. Suggesting otherwise is just being willfully ignorant.

So a kid who has a highly successful and well-compensated mother has "mommy issues" if he wants to go into the same type of work, gets an early job as an assistant working with his mom, and then wants to get out on his own?

Do JTIII, Tony Bennett and Richard Pitino have "daddy issues"?

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »
You're suggesting all those in therapy have mental disorders?

You know what my thoughts are about people who play women's basketball? They're women.
The better women college basketball teams could beat about 98 percent of the Wisconsin Hofh School boys teams .

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
The better women college basketball teams could beat about 98 percent of the Wisconsin Hofh School boys teams .
Exactly what does that have to do with what I said?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
Keefe,

Having written a thesis on gender identity development, I can tell you with 100% certainty that your belief about "Mother Nature's Code being hardwired into our brains" is unequivocally false.

Yes it is true, most men follow in their father's footsteps. And most mothers want to protect their children, but it has been proved repeatedly that men and women have the exact same instincts and drives when it comes to raising children. The only "code" that mother nature has driven into us is a natural instinct to protect our children and it is found in both men and women.

What changes is how that instinct manifests itself. Most American men choose to protect the child by providing for it and toughening it up. Most American women choose to protect the child in a more literal sense. This comes from generations of gender roles being normalized, not genetics. Men and women are trained from birth in these gender roles....so much so that breaking from them was viewed as a mental disorder until recently (and some still view it this way). Do you really think your son playing with make believe guns as a child was really a product of genetics and not the society he grew up in?

And before any starts throwing the anti-pc hand grenades, I am not criticizing gender roles. They exist, it's part of the world we live in. I think they can help men and women find identity and meaning in their lives which is ultimately a good thing.  All I hope for is world where a man isn't criticized as "a case for a therapist's couch" when he decides to pursue a career that is dominated by women.

I certainly haven't a tenth of your expertise on this so your insights are far more valid. If you look closely, though, I steered clear of the nature v. nurture argument and left it simply as gender roles are part of our make up for reasons of tens of thousands of years of practice. For whatever reason, men sharpened bone and stone and went out looking for something to kill while women reared offspring and gathered. And those roles became set and exist through this day.

Roles in a post-industrial world are blurring as fast as technology changes the way we work, interact, and play. For my father, my mother's interest in working was an affront to his manhood. The reality is, he was a Major General living in a huge government house with staff and drivers. The family was not struggling to survive and my mother adding $25K to the kitty was immaterial to their financial status. And my father was not a simpleton - he had a Master's in Physics from Stanford. But in his understanding of the world, a woman getting a job meant the man was not upholding his end of the bargain.

Today, my father would be excoriated for having such values. But in the end, my mother did teach for a few years until work took them to Europe. And my father was ok with her doing so.  

Death on call

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
So a kid who has a highly successful and well-compensated mother has "mommy issues" if he wants to go into the same type of work, gets an early job as an assistant working with his mom, and then wants to get out on his own?

Do JTIII, Tony Bennett and Richard Pitino have "daddy issues"?
Generally speaking, men have "Mommy issues" and women have "Daddy issues."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »

Didn't Biz Adders have to take Logic with Fr Davitt?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:43 PM »
Generally speaking, men have "Mommy issues" and women have "Daddy issues."

So men generally don't have issues with "daddy" and women generally don't have issues with "mommy"?

Gotcha.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
The kid learned a valuable trade from his parent.  He choose to specialize in that skill.  Regardless of which parent taught him the skill, I don't see the need for a therapist in any of this.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
So men generally don't have issues with "daddy" and women generally don't have issues with "mommy"?

Gotcha.

Real life story. I was deployed for 6 months and our 3 year old son had gotten into the habit of crawling into bed with his mother. Dad returns and junior struggles with this, thinking dad should sleep on the couch. Oedipus Rex.

The reality is that men have mother issues and daughters have father issues.

Death on call

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
Real life story. I was deployed for 6 months and our 3 year old son had gotten into the habit of crawling into bed with his mother. Dad returns and junior struggles with this, thinking dad should sleep on the couch. Oedipus Rex.

The reality is that men have mother issues and daughters have father issues.

Sorry to hear your son has issues. 

So if a man wants to go into the same line of business as his mom or a woman wants to go into the same line of business as her dad, that also means they have "issues?"  But if someone wants to follow in the footsteps as their parent of the same sex, everything is cool?

Good thing we're not into overly broad generalizations here....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2014, 03:02:49 PM »
I am sure there are individual members of the athletic department that care about an individual kid here and there. You may have your view as former member of the department.However you have that  perspective as the administrator. I am giving you the perspective as a parent ( as did Mr Pays Bills till 2017). By the way I am not saying Marquette is any better or worse than the next D-1. Have kids in ACC and Big Ten and life is the same there. All that matters is winning. The academic side is purely a function of keeping kids eligible.  There is absolutely zero loyalty to the student athlete who is working their tail off. The only loyalty is to wins and losses and bottom line.  The only respect the athletic department has shown our family is when they have their hand out for donations. If I bring the check book a meeting with any  one in the University is possible.

Your comments were that the university does not care is wrong.  No one is disputing this is a win or go home entity and the expectation is that you are given a ride (free, partial) and you will bust your butt to earn that ride or someone else will.

I just find your comments wrong from my experience and I'll give you a few examples.  Kid destroys his knee, can never play again...yet MU honors the scholarship until he graduates.  If they didn't care, they would kick him to the curb.  MU drops wrestling and rifle teams, still supports the scholarships despite the sport no longer being around.   I'm friends with a few of the coaches that are still there and some of the administrators, I just don't concur with your general statement.  Perhaps with your son or daughter's team, maybe that's the case, but the broad brush commentary is not correct.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
So if a man wants to go into the same line of business as his mom or a woman wants to go into the same line of business as her dad, that means they have "issues?"  But if someone wants to follow in the footsteps as their parent of the same sex, everything is cool?

I never said that. All I said was that three generations of my family flew military aircraft. Before that, for 8 generations, they were vicars in the Church of England. Good thing we weren't RC, I suppose, as there would have been only 1 generation.

All I said was that boys have traditionally followed their fathers and girls their mothers as there have been traditional gender roles. As TAMU and I discussed this is real but the paths are blurring as technology has enabled men and women to take on each other's responsibilities.

I challenge you to find where I said anything that you suggest. Read, digest, reflect, then speak. One of the downsides to technology-enabled access is that people have grown used to skimming sound bites then broadcasting conclusions in near real time.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
I never said that. All I said was that three generations of my family flew military aircraft. Before that, for 8 generations, they were vicars in the Church of England. Good thing we weren't RC, I suppose, as there would have been only 1 generation.

All I said was that boys have traditionally followed their fathers and girls their mothers as there have been traditional gender roles. As TAMU and I discussed this is real but the paths are blurring as technology has enabled men and women to take on each other's responsibilities.

I challenge you to find where I said anything that you suggest. Read, digest, reflect, then speak. One of the downsides to technology-enabled access is that people have grown used to skimming sound bites then broadcasting conclusions in near real time.

that's going back 11 generations......

The Church of England is barely even that old. I'm very interested in hearing more

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »

"The reality is that men have mother issues and daughters have father issues."  Your words, not mine. That is an overly broad generalization.

I can read and digest just fine.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:19:53 PM by GooooMarquette »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:02 PM »
Sorry to hear your son has issues. 

So if a man wants to go into the same line of business as his mom or a woman wants to go into the same line of business as her dad, that also means they have "issues?"  But if someone wants to follow in the footsteps as their parent of the same sex, everything is cool?

I see you modified your post to include a snide comment about my son so since he's not here to defend himself I will. He had Oedipal issues just as you did when you were 2-3. And if you didn't then you probably do have unresolved issues regarding your mother.

My son was graduated from Middlebury then was awarded a doctoral degree from Columbia. He now lives and works in Firenze where he shares his life with a beautiful Italian woman. He is educated, erudite, confident, and very much at peace with who he is, where he came from, and where he is headed. I am comfortable with the values instilled in him by his mother who was a sensitive, inquisitive, intelligent soul who valued ideas and relationships far more than the material.

If you really do want to take issue with him I can give you his email address and you can do so directly.  

Death on call

feedback