collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recommendations on Italian restaurants in the Milwaukee Area?  (Read 12809 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Recommendations on Italian restaurants in the Milwaukee Area?
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
My understanding is that Angelo's was simply a matter of the owner in poor health with nobody to take over. Didn't Sobelman's get the pizza recipes as part of the lease and say they'd start making it once they'd settled into the place?

Was wondering whatever happened to Sobelman's making the pizza. I've been waiting for that to happen but it has never been on the menu. It would be fantastic if they brought back the pizza, maybe even as an "Angelo's Pizza" branded sub-section on the menu (if they got permission to use it from the previous owner). Wouldn't have to bring back to full Angelo's menu (pastas and such), but at least the pizza would be nice.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
Let's be honest, Angelo's brought nothing to the table other than a great place for 18 year olds to drink. The food was at best average bar food and the beer was always skunky

I disagree. Their pizza wasn't amazing, but it was above-average, better than the big chains like Pizza Hut or Papa John's, and it was right on campus, and served beer. The lasagna sticks were awesome. It wasn't just fried bar food.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
I disagree. Their pizza wasn't amazing, but it was above-average, better than the big chains like Pizza Hut or Papa John's, and it was right on campus, and served beer. The lasagna sticks were awesome. It wasn't just fried bar food.

I agree that it was better than average pizza. My wife and I went there our first date. I think that solidified my reputation on campus as a ladies' man of impeccable culinary taste. She knew her life had changed for the better when I not only ordered vino but asked the waitress if I could sniff the box before decanting.

Death on call

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 09:21:16 PM »
You were way too late for classic Angelo's.  Late 70's, it was good stuff.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
I agree that it was better than average pizza. My wife and I went there our first date. I think that solidified my reputation on campus as a ladies' man of impeccable culinary taste. She knew her life had changed for the better when I not only ordered vino but asked the waitress if I could sniff the box before decanting.

No comment.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »
If you're willing to drive a little, Stefano's in Sheboygan is probably better than anyplace in Milwaukee.

http://trattoriastefano.com/dinner-menu.html

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
I haven't been there myself but I have heard that Onesto in the 3rd ward is awesome

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »

Yep, and into the early 80s.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »

Late 60s, too. Good pizza, good pasta.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 04:11:09 PM »
Heard it was great in the 50's
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"