[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scout- Kendrick Nunn visits Illinois;  (Read 4496 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Scout- Kendrick Nunn visits Illinois;
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1175548&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f1175548.html

#mubb style seems to be what he's looking for RT @EvanDanielscout: Kendrick Nunn talks visit and recruitment

Does anyone have a subscription to Scout? 

Warrior1

• Starter
Re: Scout- Kendrick Nunn visits Illinois;
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:46 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1175548&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f1175548.html

#mubb style seems to be what he's looking for RT @EvanDanielscout: Kendrick Nunn talks visit and recruitment

Does anyone have a subscription to Scout? 

This is misleading... The first part of the quote was Paint Touches responding to the article about Kendrick Nunn talking about his visit, saying that in their opinion MUBB would be a good fit. This was NOT written by Evan Daniels.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
I don't like posting entire articles, but he and his father seem to really like Illinois and Groce's style.

Here's the Marquette portion of the article, written by Brian Snow:

Also Marquette has been very active in the recruitment. They landed a fellow Simeon product in Steve Taylor in the 2012 class, now they are trying to add Nunn.

“Marquette is a good look,” said Nunn. “It is a high-major school with a tradition of great guards.”

For now Nunn says he is just evaluating everything and gaining as much information as he can on all the programs recruiting him.

“I am just looking for a good relationship with the coach who plays up tempo and lets their guards have some freedom,” said Nunn.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:39:24 PM »
If he is looking for up tempo, I can't believe he hasn't visited Bo Ryan.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »
I watched Nunn's team (Meanstreets) play Jabari Parker's team (Mac Irvin Fire) at Homestead yesterday.  Nunn lets the game come to him, which doesn't allow for a lot of points in AAU basketball.  If you don't force things, you don't get a lot of shots.  But when he did get the ball he had a tight handle and finished strong.  I only saw him take (and miss) 1 3 pointer.  His stroke looks good though, good rotation on the ball.  He looks small, but he went right into the chest of Jhalil Okafor at the rim and finished what should have been a really nice and-1 (didn't get the call).  He also threw one down HARD on a fast break with somebody contesting the dunk.  He took off from maybe a step inside the 3 point line.  Incredibly explosive.  Seems to have a high basketball IQ and be really smooth.  Again, hard to get a really good read as he did not get the ball a ton, but I would definitely love to see him in a Marquette uniform.

I had to leave with 2 and a half minutes left in the game, but Meanstreets was up 6 in what seemed like would be an upset.  I would have to guess those 2 teams are the top 2 teams coming out of Chicago.  Both teams were huge.  Meanstreets seemed more well rounded, while Mac Irvin Fire seemed stronger on the inside but weak on the perimeter.  They rotated about 4 guys between the point and shooting guard and none were very good.  Parker didn't have a good game, but you can tell all the tools are there.  He got a return pass after inbounding the ball under the hoop on one play and went up over one of the post players for Meanstreets and threw it down so hard.  It was definitely Blake Griffin-esque.  Damn impressive.  From what I heard it sounded like Mac Irvin Fire had a tough game right before in the quarterfinals (this was the semifinals) that went into overtime and wore them down.  Seemed like they lacked energy and Meanstreets did not.  Meanstreets pretty much controlled from the opening tip, having a double digit lead for a pretty significant portion of the game.  I'm not sure what other high major players there were by name on their team, but I am sure there are some.  They had a guy coming off the bench who was a 6'7"ish athletic post player.  He dominated the game.  Really athletic.  Threw down a big ally-oop on the break at one point.  #12, don't know who it was.

As for Jahlil Okafor, he is a big, big boy.  Understanding that he is a sophomore with a ton of time to develop, he is definitely not in shape to play a long stretch at a time.  He spent a lot of time going out of the game, especially since Meanstreets bigs were quicker and getting up and down the court.  He seemed to get pretty frustrated by physical defense.  He would get good position on the block but not seal his man off well and let the defender get around him to front him in the post.  Struggled getting away from double teams after the catch.  Had a nice right handed hook shot.  First play of the game set a pick and got the ball rolling to the hoop and threw down a monster dunk.  He has absolutely no left hand.  He made a great move on the left side of the paint and should've had an easy left handed layup but tried to put it in with his right hand with absolutely no angle to do it and missed the shot.  Has a lot of time to develop, but to me he does not live up to a top 5 ranking (which he is).  You can't teach size, though, and he certainly has a lot of that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
I watched Nunn's team (Meanstreets) play Jabari Parker's team (Mac Irvin Fire) at Homestead yesterday.  Nunn lets the game come to him, which doesn't allow for a lot of points in AAU basketball.  If you don't force things, you don't get a lot of shots.  But when he did get the ball he had a tight handle and finished strong.  I only saw him take (and miss) 1 3 pointer.  His stroke looks good though, good rotation on the ball.  He looks small, but he went right into the chest of Jhalil Okafor at the rim and finished what should have been a really nice and-1 (didn't get the call).  He also threw one down HARD on a fast break with somebody contesting the dunk.  He took off from maybe a step inside the 3 point line.  Incredibly explosive.  Seems to have a high basketball IQ and be really smooth.  Again, hard to get a really good read as he did not get the ball a ton, but I would definitely love to see him in a Marquette uniform.

I had to leave with 2 and a half minutes left in the game, but Meanstreets was up 6 in what seemed like would be an upset.  I would have to guess those 2 teams are the top 2 teams coming out of Chicago.  Both teams were huge.  Meanstreets seemed more well rounded, while Mac Irvin Fire seemed stronger on the inside but weak on the perimeter.  They rotated about 4 guys between the point and shooting guard and none were very good.  Parker didn't have a good game, but you can tell all the tools are there.  He got a return pass after inbounding the ball under the hoop on one play and went up over one of the post players for Meanstreets and threw it down so hard.  It was definitely Blake Griffin-esque.  Damn impressive.  From what I heard it sounded like Mac Irvin Fire had a tough game right before in the quarterfinals (this was the semifinals) that went into overtime and wore them down.  Seemed like they lacked energy and Meanstreets did not.  Meanstreets pretty much controlled from the opening tip, having a double digit lead for a pretty significant portion of the game.  I'm not sure what other high major players there were by name on their team, but I am sure there are some.  They had a guy coming off the bench who was a 6'7"ish athletic post player.  He dominated the game.  Really athletic.  Threw down a big ally-oop on the break at one point.  #12, don't know who it was.

As for Jahlil Okafor, he is a big, big boy.  Understanding that he is a sophomore with a ton of time to develop, he is definitely not in shape to play a long stretch at a time.  He spent a lot of time going out of the game, especially since Meanstreets bigs were quicker and getting up and down the court.  He seemed to get pretty frustrated by physical defense.  He would get good position on the block but not seal his man off well and let the defender get around him to front him in the post.  Struggled getting away from double teams after the catch.  Had a nice right handed hook shot.  First play of the game set a pick and got the ball rolling to the hoop and threw down a monster dunk.  He has absolutely no left hand.  He made a great move on the left side of the paint and should've had an easy left handed layup but tried to put it in with his right hand with absolutely no angle to do it and missed the shot.  Has a lot of time to develop, but to me he does not live up to a top 5 ranking (which he is).  You can't teach size, though, and he certainly has a lot of that.

Man if he is almost dunking from the 3 pt line, we need to sign him up fast.  (I'm assuming you mis-spoke.).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
Man if he is almost dunking from the 3 pt line, we need to sign him up fast.  (I'm assuming you mis-spoke.).

Hah woops, meant the free throw line.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
Retweet by Nunn says: "Just talked to Kendrick Nunn, he wants to visit UCLA, says he's tired of cold Chicago & wants to visit somewhere warm."
SS Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
Retweet by Nunn says: "Just talked to Kendrick Nunn, he wants to visit UCLA, says he's tired of cold Chicago & wants to visit somewhere warm."

Kendrick wants some of those UCLA perks.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

Is Nunn's AAU team sponsored by ADIDAS?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
Anyone here ever spent some time in Westwood? Kiss this dude adios.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Not the only 2 guard we are battling UCLA for...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:15 PM »
Not the only 2 guard we are battling UCLA for...

What kind of veiled reference is this. I hate this board right now. Everyone has some killer insider secret that they want to throw sly references to but not come out and say.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Anyone here ever spent some time in Westwood? Kiss this dude adios.

I have. Stars everywhere and some of the finest bodies (with brains!) you'll see around.
SS Marquette

feedback