collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33470 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2015, 03:03:57 PM »
If true, that's fantastic.  Of course, I haven't seen what he's getting those first three years.

I lied. It's a player opt-out in year 3 and year 4 tied to number of plate appearances. Hearing ~18mil first 3 years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »
Cubs were 3rd in ERA in the MLB last year, 3rd in W, 1st in Ks, 1st in BA against...so besides lack of a VETERAN 3rd Starter (which I think Lackey can fill), I am not 100% going to blame pitching and welcome a guy like Heyward.

What was their downfall in the Playoffs?

Regular season pitching staffs and Playoff pitching staffs are much different.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:03 PM »
Two opt outs in deal. First is after three years and it's a club opt out

Read that both opt-outs are player options, which would make more sense.  I'm still good with that. 

GoldenEagles1990

• Walk-On
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
Heyward's mentions on Twitter are ridiculous right now.  Not that they are representative of the entire fan base, but way to stay classy Cards fans.

Again, not representative of their entire fan base, but @BestFansStLouis highlights the low of the low of the Cardinals fan base.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2015, 03:54:35 PM »

So if they signed David Price, would you have made the same argument? You wouldn't take Kershaw on your team based on that argument.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »

But how did KC beat the Mets then?  Their starting pitching in the playoffs is not any better than what the Cubs will roll out to start 2016. 

brandx

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
-1.  The offense was not the problem, and John Lackey doesn't do a whole lot.

8 runs in 4 games against the Mets.

I'd say offense was the problem in that series (although I do attribute it more to the Mets pitching).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »

I'd say offense was the problem in that series (although I do attribute it more to the Mets pitching).

Bingo.  You  made it a side note, but you got to it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
But how did KC beat the Mets then?  Their starting pitching in the playoffs is not any better than what the Cubs will roll out to start 2016.

1) The Mets defense gave up runs.

2) The Royals had the best bullpen in baseball.  While most teams are sweating it out to get to the 8th, the Royals needed to get through 5 innings and their bullpen could completely lock it down from there.  The 3rd time through a lineup is where teams get to solid but not great starting pitchers.  For the Royals, their starters didn't need to go through the lineup the 3rd time.  Not many teams have that luxury.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2015, 12:20:15 AM »

2) The Royals had the best bullpen in baseball.  While most teams are sweating it out to get to the 8th, the Royals needed to get through 5 innings and their bullpen could completely lock it down from there.  The 3rd time through a lineup is where teams get to solid but not great starting pitchers.  For the Royals, their starters didn't need to go through the lineup the 3rd time.  Not many teams have that luxury.

And that's why you don't overreact based on what happens in a playoff series. Again, once you get there it's a crapshoot. You just have to get there consistently.

If you we're a GM you'd overreact based on who won it all each year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
And that's why you don't overreact based on what happens in a playoff series. Again, once you get there it's a crapshoot. You just have to get there consistently.

He'd be signing Daniel Murphy, no doubt.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »

100 percent correct. And that I attribute to youth.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2015, 05:27:59 PM »

Stunning the best bat in the postseason is not highly sought after.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2015, 05:44:54 PM »

So did the Mets pitchers. The amount of swings and misses by Cub hitters was steggering. The Royals made consistent and solid contact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2015, 06:08:20 PM »

Yeah ask the Royals how much of a crapshoot it is.  Or the Yankees when they were 3 peating.

There is nothing "crapshoot" about it.  The Brewers in 2011 and the Cubs this past season were almost identical.  Mash the ball in the heat of summer, have 1 true ace and a solid second starter, guys who can hit up and down the lineup.  When the weather gets cold and you're facing star pitching every night what happens?  Oh, the ball dies and you can no longer hit balls 425 feet every 3rd inning.  Those teams flame out in October every single year.  That's not a "crapshoot."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »

Now you think I'm Doug Melvin?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Yeah ask the Royals how much of a crapshoot it is.  Or the Yankees when they were 3 peating.

There is nothing "crapshoot" about it.  The Brewers in 2011 and the Cubs this past season were almost identical.  Mash the ball in the heat of summer, have 1 true ace and a solid second starter, guys who can hit up and down the lineup.  When the weather gets cold and you're facing star pitching every night what happens?  Oh, the ball dies and you can no longer hit balls 425 feet every 3rd inning.  Those teams flame out in October every single year.  That's not a "crapshoot."

Once again, if you don't think the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot once you get there you have no clue.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
So did the Mets pitchers. The amount of swings and misses by Cub hitters was steggering. The Royals made consistent and solid contact.

And a couple more solid OBP guys added in Zobrist and Heyward. With added experience the young guys hopefully whiff less moving forward, even though that will always be a big factor for some of them.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:13 AM »
Color me unimpressed with the Cubs moves.

They threw lots of money at a journeyman and a 6 hitter

It may work out, but history has its own story to tell

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »

Quiet.  Baseball is a crapshoot.  It's just one giant coincidence that every October teams with the best pitching big boy teams that mash the ball all over the yard in June, July, and August.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
Quiet.  Baseball is a crapshoot.  It's just one giant coincidence that every October teams with the best pitching big boy teams that mash the ball all over the yard in June, July, and August.

Five of the last 10 WS champs have been first or second in their respective league in runs scored.  (Basically every winner except SF and KC).
2013 BOS #1
2011 STL #1
2009 NYY #1
2008 PHI #2
2007 BOS #2

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »

Give me a break.  They made the good moves based on available talent.  They weren't gonna pay $20MM+ a year for Cueto or Price when they had Lester on a big deal and still might pay Arrieta later.  They paid $16MM a year for a proven arm with playoff experience and success when a guy like Samardzija has neither and just came off the worst year of his career and got $18MM.  And Heyward provides WAR in ways that the current Cubs lineup doesn't and was wanted by multiple contenders.  Zobrist isn't going to set the world on fire but he's a consistent bat and glove that can slide in multiple spots.

And who is the journeyman?  Zobrist who had played for 2 teams until he got traded at the deadline or Lackey who had played for 3 teams in 12+ year career?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
Furthermore, Lackey's contract is only two years.  Heyward can (and probably will) opt out after three years, plus he was #15 in WAR in the entire MLB and only 26 years old.  These are very low risk moves with potentially high return.  They aren't tying themselves to lengthy contracts by any means.

The Zobrist move is one that is a bit of a head scratcher.  A four year deal to a guy in his mid 30s?  I wonder how much this had to do with his relationship with Maddon. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 09:52:09 AM »
The Zobrist move is one that is a bit of a head scratcher.  A four year deal to a guy in his mid 30s?  I wonder how much this had to do with his relationship with Maddon.

I think when people are excited about the Cubs offseason, its not thinking the Cubs are geniuses for the Zobrist move.  But I think you're right, its a lot to do with Maddon and Maddon's knowledge of his flexibility.  Also, can't hurt to have an versatile, experienced guy with a ring in the clubhouse with all the young talent.  I'm looking at him as Mark Derosa 2.0

brandx

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »
Big Sox deal coming up.