[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Spurs VS Heat rematch  (Read 15586 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Spurs VS Heat rematch
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »

Right now if I was building a team with players in the NBA the first guy that I am going to put on my roster is Duncan.

To build a team? How many years do you think Duncan has left?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 12:13:46 PM »
Again, it matters from which you came.  Duncan got to play with another all-timer in David Robinson.  Lebron was stuck in Cleveland.  Your teammates matter.  Is it easier to play defense for Duncan when he has David Robinson right next to him on the court?  Of course it is. 

Compare Duncan's teammates through the years to James, especially the Cleveland version and it becomes laughable.

As for the top 5 arguments and such....impossible to ever know.  Different eras, different styles, different rules, different officiating, different teammates.  Put Joe Montana with the 1980's New Orleans Saints and we never hear about Joe Montana again.  Put Charles Barkley with the Lakers and maybe he wins 5 titles instead of 0.

Duncan played with Robinson for 5 seasons and Robinson was injured for his rookie year so basically 4 (and 1998 was a lockout). In those 4 years they won 2 championships which is currently where LeBron sits with Wade and Bosh. I think comparring the two is actually very valid as their careers tend to match up pretty well together. I'll give you that the second half of Duncan's career with Parker and Ginobli is better than what LeBron had in Cleveland, but it's not like he was playing with high schoolers. Big Z, Mo Williams, Antwaon Jamison they were each allstars.

I really didn't like Duncan during the early, mid 2000s because I thought he was super boring and played "old man basketball" but I have grown to appreciate him and really enjoy what he does.  
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »
Duncan played with Robinson for 5 seasons and Robinson was injured for his rookie year so basically 4 (and 1998 was a lockout). In those 4 years they won 2 championships which is currently where LeBron sits with Wade and Bosh. I think comparring the two is actually very valid as their careers tend to match up pretty well together. I'll give you that the second half of Duncan's career with Parker and Ginobli is better than what LeBron had in Cleveland, but it's not like he was playing with high schoolers. Big Z, Mo Williams, Antwaon Jamison they were each allstars.

I really didn't like Duncan during the early, mid 2000s because I thought he was super boring and played "old man basketball" but I have grown to appreciate him and really enjoy what he does.  

My point was comparing Duncan's accomplishments for 10 years straight up vs Lebron's...totally different teammates, etc.  Too many people get into direct comparisons of players without looking who surrounded them. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »
The Spurs used to be my least favorite team. I couldn't stand Pop or Duncan. As they have aged and it has become more and more apparent that athletically they are not near the top of the NBA I have come to appreciate how they play the game, and they are now in my top 3 favorite teams. It is just fun to watch the clinics they put on teams on how to move around the court and move the basketball.

Here is why I can't stand LeBron. The Spurs make a run to go up 20 in game 4 of the NBA Finals and the absolute biggest celebration you see out of ANY of their players is a fist pump (Patty Mills after hitting the 3). I love it.

Put back dunk to go up 22? No reaction at all (Kawhi Leonard). Can you imagine what LeBron would've done if they were the 1s up 20 and he had a huge putback dunk? Scream in the camera and punch your own chest and stare down the guy defending you. You don't have to dislike this, this type of emotion may appeal to you, but there is absolutely no way you can deny that that is how LeBron would've reacted to the exact same play. I just don't care for that kind of "look at me" attitude and I love that the Spurs are all about business. LeBron's talent is undeniable. Absolutely a top 5 player ever. Absolutely not the best ever. But I just don't care for his personality. Just my personal taste.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
Yes.  Basketball should be reserved and dull.  No room for celebrations.  Act like you've completed a nice Power Point presentation.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
Yes.  Basketball should be reserved and dull.  No room for celebrations.  Act like you've completed a nice Power Point presentation.

With or without word art and the the effects on slides?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
The Spurs used to be my least favorite team. I couldn't stand Pop or Duncan. As they have aged and it has become more and more apparent that athletically they are not near the top of the NBA I have come to appreciate how they play the game, and they are now in my top 3 favorite teams. It is just fun to watch the clinics they put on teams on how to move around the court and move the basketball.

Here is why I can't stand LeBron. The Spurs make a run to go up 20 in game 4 of the NBA Finals and the absolute biggest celebration you see out of ANY of their players is a fist pump (Patty Mills after hitting the 3). I love it.

Put back dunk to go up 22? No reaction at all (Kawhi Leonard). Can you imagine what LeBron would've done if they were the 1s up 20 and he had a huge putback dunk? Scream in the camera and punch your own chest and stare down the guy defending you. You don't have to dislike this, this type of emotion may appeal to you, but there is absolutely no way you can deny that that is how LeBron would've reacted to the exact same play. I just don't care for that kind of "look at me" attitude and I love that the Spurs are all about business. LeBron's talent is undeniable. Absolutely a top 5 player ever. Absolutely not the best ever. But I just don't care for his personality. Just my personal taste.

What little I watch of the NBA I've certainly seen LeBron fist pump \ chest bump as you describe in some of those situations, but not always.  We probably see what we want to see.  If you go to youtube and watch his best plays, defined by who knows who, you can see some where he is very emotional and some where he is quite subdued and does nothing.

brandx

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2014, 02:22:32 PM »
This series has showed everything that is wrong with the NBA. Isn't everyone tired of the constant pick n rolls? Are NBA coaches other than Pops too stupid to actually coach offensive basketball?

Passing wins games. A passed ball moves faster than a player with the ball can move. You can ALWAYS get good shots if you are a good passing team.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:19 PM »
This series has showed everything that is wrong with the NBA. Isn't everyone tired of the constant pick n rolls? Are NBA coaches other than Pops too stupid to actually coach offensive basketball?

Miami is the two time defending champion doing what they are doing. 

brandx

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Miami is the two time defending champion doing what they are doing. 

You are correct - but, I was referring to why people get turned off by the NBA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
Some of the lowest rated Finals in NBA history are the ones the Spurs played in - including the lowest rated game of the past 25 years.  (2003 Game 2)  Some people are turned off by the NBA's offense.  Many people don't care.

brandx

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
But this is a different Spurs team. The earlier teams had Duncan as the #1 scoring option and played very slow - among fewest offensive possessions per game.

This year's version - more running, more perimeter oriented. They are in the top 10 in the NBA this year in offensive possessions per game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »

Just one man's opinion. I think I have enjoyed watching this Spurs team pass and move as one unit and not celebrate anything until they have actually won something more than I have ever enjoyed watching any other NBA team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
This will be the slowest paced Spurs championship team with the possible exception of 1999.  (I can't find that stat.)  They are more efficient.  

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching them play due to many of the reasons you suggest.  But don't interpret your being tired of pick and roll offenses with everyone else being tired of it.  Furthermore, it has worked just fine for Miami considering their track record.

brandx

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
This will be the slowest paced Spurs championship team with the possible exception of 1999.  (I can't find that stat.)  They are more efficient.  

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed watching them play due to many of the reasons you suggest.  But don't interpret your being tired of pick and roll offenses with everyone else being tired of it.  Furthermore, it has worked just fine for Miami considering their track record.

Wrong. This is one of the fastest playing teams of the Duncan era. Top 10 in the league this year. More offensive possessions per game than the run and gun Steve Nash led Suns teams a few years back.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2014, 09:06:41 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=19YaWxng-CM

Don't worry LeBron, the Heat will just bring Carmelo in now that the people around you have slipped up a bit. He can carry you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
Wrong. This is one of the fastest playing teams of the Duncan era. Top 10 in the league this year. More offensive possessions per game than the run and gun Steve Nash led Suns teams a few years back.

Unless I am misunderstanding Pace stats, you are wrong here.  (And I admit, I could be completely misunderstanding the stat.)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

Well, in the sandbox we would build killer power point decks then go out and blow sh1t up.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »

Don't worry LeBron, the Heat will just bring Carmelo in now that the people around you have slipped up a bit. He can carry you.

LeBron hasn't slipped at all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:38 PM »

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2014, 11:08:37 PM »
Lets look at credentials after 10 years:

LeBron's Achievements (10 Years In): 2004 Rookie of the Year, 9x All-Star, 3x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 8x All-NBA, 4x All-Defense, 1x Scoring Champion, 1x NBA Champion

Duncan's Achievements (10 Years In): 1998 Rookie of the Year, 9x All-Star, 2x MVP, 3x Finals MVP, 10x All-NBA, 10x All-Defense, 3x NBA Champion

I'll take the guy that was all defense all 10 of his years and who in his first 10 years won 3-rings and 3-finals MVPs.  I think people get mesmerized by Lebron's flashy play and forget there is a lot more to the game. 

Right now if I was building a team with players in the NBA the first guy that I am going to put on my roster is Duncan.
duncan over lebron, paul, or durant?  Victim of the moment?  You sound like a typical espn hack; all that matters is rings.

brandx

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:12 AM »
Unless I am misunderstanding Pace stats, you are wrong here.  (And I admit, I could be completely misunderstanding the stat.)

I don't know - maybe we are arguing different things. I am basing my argument on possessions per game. Spurs are top 10 in the NBA, even with the great defense that causes opposing team to take longer in their possessions.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
I don't know - maybe we are arguing different things. I am basing my argument on possessions per game. Spurs are top 10 in the NBA, even with the great defense that causes opposing team to take longer in their possessions.

In looking at NBA pace stats, San Antonio is indeed faster relative to the rest of the NBA this year than in years past.  But their pace is slower overall.

But I might be wrong. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »

It appears in that in some small minds, LeBron has to single handedly win a championship, or he isn't any good.

It won't happen, but I would love to see LeBron opt out, but the rest of that team stay intact, and see if they could even get to .500 next year. Wade just cant do it anymore, and will never be anything more than an average basketball player again. Chris Bosh has turned into steve Novak, though he doesn't make as many shots (for the record, other than the contracts they signed, there never really was a big three - there was a big two and a distant, distant third guy, though he certainly filled a roll for the past few years).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »

Whether dressed as a man or women no one pats himself/herself on the back like you.