[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So how about that Theo John?  (Read 9506 times)

LloydsLegs

• All American
Re: So how about that Theo John?
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2018, 07:58:27 AM »
MU is not 0-4 in their last four games due to a lack of production from Matt Heldt.

I think you missed the “seriously”. C’mon JJJJJ. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »
A classic question of hot hand vs. season long production. Coaches face this question often. Theo was having the game of his career so far....but the offense had stalled (with Theo in the game) and we needed offense. Excluding Saturday's game, what about Theo John's career to date would have told you that he should be included in a lineup to jump start the offense? Nothing, nada. He might have been the last player you put in that situation. So do you ride the hot hand? Or go with the players have been better offensively all season? It's a tough call and it seems like Wojo made the wrong one this time. The only guarantee in these situations is that the fans will be pissed no matter which one you pick if the game ends in a loss. I remember people just last season criticizing Wojo for drawing up the final play against Pitt for Andrew even though he had been the hot hand all game.

What we needed was to not let Providence continue to beat us up physically at the rim and scoring at a high rate at/near the basket. 

Theo was totally and completely locked in against Providence - you could say, "in the zone," even.  (On both ends of the floor.)  You don't NOT ride that for max minutes.  Especially not in a matchup with a team where we struggle to compete athletically/physically.

You make some well reasoned points here, however this is not one of them

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
When you're team goes 9 minutes of game time without a FG,  I can understand why a coach would try something "bizzare" to get the offense going. And while not often used,  it is pretty common for teams to have a "death" lineup of 5 smaller players.

It was the wrong call but I can understand the thought process behind it. Our guys needed to see the ball go though the hoop.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
When you're team goes 9 minutes of game time without a FG,  I can understand why a coach would try something "bizzare" to get the offense going. And while not often used,  it is pretty common for teams to have a "death" lineup of 5 smaller players.

It was the wrong call but I can understand the thought process behind it. Our guys needed to see the ball go though the hoop.

I could also see the smaller lineup because of the length that PC had at the top of their zone.  With our shooters we should be begging teams to zone us, for whatever reason we were extremely poor against it on Saturday.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
Just curious if anyone was able to figure out our +/- with Theo in and out of the game.  Seems I used to be able to figure this out with various sites' game trackers, but I can't find any that list substitutions anymore.

I know it isn't the critical stat that some make it out to be, but I find it interesting...when I can find it at all....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »

TAMU do you have access to a play by play that includes substitutions?  I would like to see what our +/- was with that small line up.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »

TAMU do you have access to a play by play that includes substitutions?  I would like to see what our +/- was with that small line up.

I don't. But looking at the play by play I'm pretty sure the small ball lineup was somewhere between 9:12 to 4:33. 9:12 is the free throws from a foul on Heldt and 5:38 is the last stoppage of play before a Theo layup. I'm not sure if they were small the entire time, but we started that stretch at 59-51 and finished 68-59, so -1. If someone has a more specific breakdown of when the small ball lineup is that would be helpful. Though honestly, we traded baskets during that entire stretch so it would have never been worse than -3.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
I'm very high on Theo, think he's our best center, and will start next year.  My only problem with him is that he always seems to go for the block.  When he gets it, its great, but if he doesn't it seems like we give up a lot of offensive rebounds.  He need to learn when he can get a block and when he should just let someone go.  This will come naturally with more games played.  This is why I liked Otule so much.  His blocks and rebounds numbers were never great, but if good box outs were a stat, he would have been stuffing the box score consistently.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
I don't. But looking at the play by play I'm pretty sure the small ball lineup was somewhere between 9:12 to 4:33. 9:12 is the free throws from a foul on Heldt and 5:38 is the last stoppage of play before a Theo layup. I'm not sure if they were small the entire time, but we started that stretch at 59-51 and finished 68-59, so -1. If someone has a more specific breakdown of when the small ball lineup is that would be helpful. Though honestly, we traded baskets during that entire stretch so it would have never been worse than -3.

Yeah, intuitively that is what I thought.  I don't think the small line up was a success by any means, but it certainly wasn't the disaster that people are making it out to be.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

Yeah, intuitively that is what I thought.  I don't think the small line up was a success by any means, but it certainly wasn't the disaster that people are making it out to be.

I don't think it was a disaster either, and won't rip Wojo for trying it.

Still, a couple points could have made the difference in a 2-point loss.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »
I think you missed the “seriously”. C’mon JJJJJ.

My apologies.  Sarcasm meter and depth in which I read posts is deeply impaired when on my phone.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
My apologies.  Sarcasm meter and depth in which I read posts is deeply impaired when on my phone.

And phone was why my effort at using teal failed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 06:52:44 PM »
Wojo has gone small with Sam at the 5 a number of times in the past season and 3/4.  I have no problem with him trying to get our 5 best offensive players on the floor.  We can't stop anyone even if we have our 5 best defensive players on the floor, so you might as well try lighting up the scoreboard.  This team isn't going to survive 7+ minute field goal droughts.  We're not built that way.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
Wojo has gone small with Sam at the 5 a number of times in the past season and 3/4.  I have no problem with him trying to get our 5 best offensive players on the floor.  We can't stop anyone even if we have our 5 best defensive players on the floor, so you might as well try lighting up the scoreboard.  This team isn't going to survive 7+ minute field goal droughts.  We're not built that way.

And yet...we almost did. Just need to get things clinking on that end again. Ball movement is key.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.