[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So how about that Theo John?  (Read 9507 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: So how about that Theo John?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »

Theo walked over to Wojo right after the goaltending, probably expecting the worst, and got a hug and a "you know what you did".  Nice moment I guess.  Not many of those to talk about these days.

Yeah seen that.  That how Good coaches encourage and gain players respect.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
I want to see more of John and Froling together, maybe even give John the start over the aussie. Heldt however needs to see his minutes reduced even more. Wojo puts him in there for the seniority, and he doesn't do bad. He's just not as talented or strong as the other two.

Heldt played 5 minutes on Saturday.

He's going to go with whomever is giving them what they need.  That's what you have to do when you have a junior with limited ability, a freshman with limited experience and a sophomore who really isn't a center.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Prior to Saturday, what was his highest minutes played in a game this season?   I will hang up and listen while you search.    The simple reason is that making a big leap in minutes played in a game does not equate to sustained success.    And bigs, particularly ones playing with high energy have trouble playing that many minutes.    But, I keep forgetting.    He goes to MU, so the principles of experience mattering, minutes played, height, weight, don't matter.     Every player at MU, because he is at MU,  should be able to play 40 minutes.    Should never play like a freshhman.   Or sophomore.   Or miss a free throw when they shoot over 90%.    Or wear out from playing too many minutes.   Even if they are (maybe) 5'10, it is a disgrace that a 6'5 player should be able to post them up.    If they are 6'7 and 190, no 6'8, 230 senior should be able to physically dominate them.    If they have a thumb requiring surgery, it shouldn't affect their play.    Because the name on the front of the jersey magically fixes all of that.   

He needed a freaking rest.   

Not to mention all the whiners consistently forget that other coaches/players/programs are trying to succeed just as much as MU.

This rant needs to be pinned to the top of the board

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 03:27:07 PM »
Prior to Saturday, what was his highest minutes played in a game this season?   I will hang up and listen while you search.    The simple reason is that making a big leap in minutes played in a game does not equate to sustained success.    And bigs, particularly ones playing with high energy have trouble playing that many minutes.    But, I keep forgetting.    He goes to MU, so the principles of experience mattering, minutes played, height, weight, don't matter.     Every player at MU, because he is at MU,  should be able to play 40 minutes.    Should never play like a freshhman.   Or sophomore.   Or miss a free throw when they shoot over 90%.    Or wear out from playing too many minutes.   Even if they are (maybe) 5'10, it is a disgrace that a 6'5 player should be able to post them up.    If they are 6'7 and 190, no 6'8, 230 senior should be able to physically dominate them.    If they have a thumb requiring surgery, it shouldn't affect their play.    Because the name on the front of the jersey magically fixes all of that.   

He needed a freaking rest.   

Wow ok so there is just no way Theo could have played 4-6 more minutes in one single game?  That is asinine.  Theo tired was WAY better then any other option on Saturday.  Wednesday he may suck and only play 5 minutes but he should have played more on Saturday.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
Wow ok so there is just no way Theo could have played 4-6 more minutes in one single game?  That is asinine.  Theo tired was WAY better then any other option on Saturday.  Wednesday he may suck and only play 5 minutes but he should have played more on Saturday.

Agree. These guys have the energy especially in the adrenaline-filled moments at the end of games. No I am not Theo or coach Wojo but I have an inkling he had enough gas in the tank to continue making an impact. His foul rate is down and his production is up. Regardless, fantastic game by Theo. I just don't think he gets enough recognition from announcers for being such a big freshman!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
Theo played well on Saturday and avoided the stupid fouls. Far too early to count on that type of performance on regular basis, and possibly not even on irregular basis. I know we all want to find positives or a silver lining, but I recommend watching a few more games before allowing Theo mania to reach a fever pitch. Last year Matt had an early Feb "big" game and he was the answer for many.

Again, baby steps. He played well and that is a positive. Lets see how things shake out on Wednesday night and discuss again.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
Froling is undoubtedly more talented than Matt offensively, but I'd give the nod to Matt defensively by a wide margin.  Harry just isn't a good defensively player from what I've observed.  Given everyone has been screaming for more defense, I'm not sure Froling is the answer.

The answer you're looking for is Ed Morrow.

Matt is a defensive upgrade from Harry in a similar way that single ply TP is an upgrade from poison ivy.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
I understand that, but no big around to provide help when the ball went into the post.  As soon as we went completely small they went right to that tactic.  Perhaps this team should have some sort of zone defense when the midgets are in.  I realize they are easy to shoot over, but is that really worse than layup after foul after layup after allowed put back?

You hit the nail on the head.  Wojo doesn't designate guys to protect the rim.  Our big guy, whether it is Theo, Harry or Matt should not guard 20' from the basket.  Their number one responsibility should be to protect the rim.  Block shots.  Intimidate. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
You hit the nail on the head.  Wojo doesn't designate guys to protect the rim.  Our big guy, whether it is Theo, Harry or Matt should not guard 20' from the basket.  Their number one responsibility should be to protect the rim.  Block shots.  Intimidate.

What would you have the center do when the opposing center is setting a ball screen at the 3 point line?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »

That could work... if either:

A) Opponents never ran pick and rolls against us
B) Our guards were good enough to defenders to get around picks from opposing centers and still pick up their man

Since neither is true, you have to have the big men help cover the pick and roll...which is the only time our bigs are "20 feet from the basket"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »
What would you have the center do when the opposing center is setting a ball screen at the 3 point line?
Protect the rim.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
That could work... if either:

A) Opponents never ran pick and rolls against us
B) Our guards were good enough to defenders to get around picks from opposing centers and still pick up their man

Since neither is true, you have to have the big men help cover the pick and roll...which is the only time our bigs are "20 feet from the basket"
I would have them sag back to protect the rim.  Hey, we give up way too many bunnies.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 05:31:03 PM »
The problem when the big sags on the high pick and roll is that the guard is at the mercy of the pick.  You then have an open 3 or a point guard in space going to the rim with a trailer, forcing the sagging big to choose.  Open 3, pull up jumper, driving guard, or driving guard dropping off to the trailing big when the sagging big commits. 

The entire purpose of the high pick and roll is to create defensive switches, movement, and opportunities, either mismatches or openings.   Sagging is a choice, but not a solution.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 06:12:24 PM »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »
If Theo keeps that up and we can get Markus, and more specifically Rowsey, back on their game, 5-2 or better is a legit possibility. 

As I projected several weeks ago with respect to Heldt's minutes in 18-19, he is going to be at the end of the bench. He is basically already there - he has averaged 8 MPG over his last four and only played 5 minutes against PC.  Add Morrow to the mix next season and Heldt is going to be the 4th option in the post.  Which I think is a good thing.  Matt seems like a great guy and works very hard, but he is not a HM starting center, but will be very useful as a guy that can with with energy in spurts in a loaded front court next season.

And what is MU’s record in those 4 games??  Causation or correlation, but surely not coincidence.

But, seriously, Theo would have had my vote for SOTG.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »
The answer you're looking for is Ed Morrow.

Matt is a defensive upgrade from Harry in a similar way that single ply TP is an upgrade from poison ivy.

Thank you for that.  We need the laughs.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
The problem when the big sags on the high pick and roll is that the guard is at the mercy of the pick.  You then have an open 3 or a point guard in space going to the rim with a trailer, forcing the sagging big to choose.  Open 3, pull up jumper, driving guard, or driving guard dropping off to the trailing big when the sagging big commits. 

The entire purpose of the high pick and roll is to create defensive switches, movement, and opportunities, either mismatches or openings.   Sagging is a choice, but not a solution.

Exactly.  To get our big out of position, so they can score bunnies.  Reference... all our games this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:02 PM »
How many college basketball games do you watch a year?   How often do you see the the big sag on pick and rolls?    (Hint:  rarely)   When the rim is protected, it is by a recovering big or a sagging wing with size from the weak side.    Otule and to a lesser extent Gardner were decent at recovering.    But the last two years,  when the defender guarding the weak side spot up corner shooter sags down low to stop the roller,  (which is done almost everywhere) too often it is Markus or Andrew.     Good coaching exploiting the obvious weakness in MU 's defense.    MSU runs the exact same scheme.    But the sagging weakside defensive wing has size.   

So next year, with a lineup of Howard, Elliot, Sam, Morrow, and John,  Markus and Theo will hedge the PG and turn him.   The big will roll, Theo will be trying to recover, probably with his hands up, using his lateral quickness and wingspan to disrupt that pass.    The weakside wing leaving the spot up shooter in the corner will be Sam, Morrow, Elliot or SOMEBODY NOT 5'10.    Sacar/Joey/Jamal/Brendan.     Do you see the potential difference?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
And what is MU’s record in those 4 games??  Causation or correlation, but surely not coincidence.

But, seriously, Theo would have had my vote for SOTG.

MU is not 0-4 in their last four games due to a lack of production from Matt Heldt.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
Howard's shot was not going in that Theo grabbed.  You let it go after you hear a whistle for the chance you get some wild bounce, but that thing was bouncing out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »

Ah, the magic word, intimidate or be intimidated.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »
You'd think Theo was a 45 year old with a dad body or something according to experts.

18-21 year olds are gassed after 24 minutes of ball? Sad

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:16 AM »
A classic question of hot hand vs. season long production. Coaches face this question often. Theo was having the game of his career so far....but the offense had stalled (with Theo in the game) and we needed offense. Excluding Saturday's game, what about Theo John's career to date would have told you that he should be included in a lineup to jump start the offense? Nothing, nada. He might have been the last player you put in that situation. So do you ride the hot hand? Or go with the players have been better offensively all season? It's a tough call and it seems like Wojo made the wrong one this time. The only guarantee in these situations is that the fans will be pissed no matter which one you pick if the game ends in a loss. I remember people just last season criticizing Wojo for drawing up the final play against Pitt for Andrew even though he had been the hot hand all game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »

As I projected several weeks ago with respect to Heldt's minutes in 18-19, he is going to be at the end of the bench. He is basically already there - he has averaged 8 MPG over his last four and only played 5 minutes against PC.  Add Morrow to the mix next season and Heldt is going to be the 4th option in the post.  Which I think is a good thing.  Matt seems like a great guy and works very hard, but he is not a HM starting center, but will be very useful as a guy that can with with energy in spurts in a loaded front court next season.

If Matt gets over 8-10 minutes a game next year, it will be a very long season (since expectations will be much higher to start with),

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2018, 07:49:23 AM »
A classic question of hot hand vs. season long production. Coaches face this question often. Theo was having the game of his career so far....but the offense had stalled (with Theo in the game) and we needed offense. Excluding Saturday's game, what about Theo John's career to date would have told you that he should be included in a lineup to jump start the offense? Nothing, nada. He might have been the last player you put in that situation. So do you ride the hot hand? Or go with the players have been better offensively all season? It's a tough call and it seems like Wojo made the wrong one this time. The only guarantee in these situations is that the fans will be pissed no matter which one you pick if the game ends in a loss. I remember people just last season criticizing Wojo for drawing up the final play against Pitt for Andrew even though he had been the hot hand all game.

His solution to the Theo "problem" was to not even have a center on the floor for a stretch of time. That goes well beyond the realm of normal decision-making. This game was extremely close... That kind of decision was just bizarre. You just can't have 4 turnstyles on the court and hope that Sam Hauser of all people will clean up the mess.

I just wanted to clarify that yes, his decision was to go for more "offense" (by offense I mean season-long offense, as several of the players he went with were bad offensively all game) but it was a decision that in no way shape or form could have worked.

Theo had an opportunity for so many blocks in this game because he was the only one who could stop what was clearly their gameplan. It wasn't just luck. Taking Theo out just opened the dam right back up and voila, gameplan continues unimpeded.

feedback