Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo-post game-Volunteers  (Read 17732 times)

tower912

• All American
Wojo-post game-Volunteers
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »
"Every program would love to have Derrick Wilson.   He shows up every day and all he cares about is winning.   I absolutely love coaching Derrick.  He's a competitive guy and I love that about him."

Game over.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Wojo-post game-Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:16:14 PM »
"Every program would love to have Derrick Wilson.   He shows up every day and all he cares about is winning.   I absolutely love coaching Derrick.  He's a competitive guy and I love that about him."

Game over.   

What game is over? He's good for this team, he wasn't for last years team. Last years team featured 3 guards that could not score the ball. You can't win games with that formula. With Duane, Carlino, & JJJ he fits in very nicely. He's a coaches dream, we get it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
Coaches' pet confirmed.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Shark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »
Coaches' pet confirmed.

I'm not a huge Derrick fan but cmon. Surely this has nothing to do with the fact that Wojo and Derrick are similar styled guards.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:59:13 PM »
I'm just surprised people were relegating him to the bench for spot minutes at the beginning of the season.  Derrick has been playing fine all season (relatively speaking) and was a positive factor in today's game.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »
What game is over? He's good for this team, he wasn't for last years team. Last years team featured 3 guards that could not score the ball. You can't win games with that formula. With Duane, Carlino, & JJJ he fits in very nicely. He's a coaches dream, we get it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
+1

I rarely respond to you, but you are just an f#ing idiot on this issue. Just a complete idiot. Two different head coaches love this kids work ethic. Grow the F up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:18:38 PM »
"Coaches pet" insinuates that his minutes aren't deserved.  Anyone who watched today's game saw exactly why Wojo plays him and why he deserves his minutes.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »
C'mon Ners, Make post 6017 the mea culpa. Free yourself.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
I'm just surprised people were relegating him to the bench for spot minutes at the beginning of the season.  Derrick has been playing fine all season (relatively speaking) and was a positive factor in today's game.

Derrick was good today and I am happy for him and the team. He now has had two good game and 1 to 1 1/2 OK games. Better than I expected, and I hope I continue to be wrong.

I agree with Derrick being a better fit for a team with multiple guards who can knock down 3s as opposed to last year's team, which had to win by pounding the ball inside.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »
Here's the thing, y'all. Derrick has had the misfortune of playin', the past couple of years, on some pretty chitty teams. He's not capable of strappin' it on and carryin' the whole fookin' team on his Johnson. Put him in a situation where he tops out at 8-10 minutes and you got a valuable piece to the puzzle.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »
Here's the thing, y'all. Derrick has had the misfortune of playin', the past couple of years, on some pretty chitty teams. He's not capable of strappin' it on and carryin' the whole fookin' team on his Johnson. Put him in a situation where he tops out at 8-10 minutes and you got a valuable piece to the puzzle.

Well he played 36 minutes today.  It's more like put him in a role where he has better back court options around him, and where he can play off the ball, and he is just fine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
How about, put him in a situation where there the other guys are moving, working to get open and then doing something with the ball when they get it.   Jake was stationary.   Davante was stationary.   Otule couldn't create anything.   Jamil didn't want to create anything.   Todd just wanted the damn ball.     Derrick is not a great point guard.   I have never said he is.   But having off the ball movement as well as others creating shots sure helps mask his deficiencies.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »
I rarely respond to you, but you are just an f#ing idiot on this issue. Just a complete idiot. Two different head coaches love this kids work ethic. Grow the F up.

LOL - Getting all worked up over someone having a different take on a basketball matter/message board.  Perhaps you should grow the F up?  

C'mon Ners, Make post 6017 the mea culpa. Free yourself.

I said in another thread Derrick played well today and deserved the minutes he got.

Hopefully it continues - because if it does the team has a chance to be pretty good.  If it reverts back to how its typically been - it hurts the team.

Lastly, let's also put Derrick's performance into perspective:

36 minutes.  11 points. 2 rebounds.  2 assists. 2 steals 0 turnovers.  

The reality is, is that historically his production has been so abysmal, it makes a game like today seem really, really good.  I don't want to take away from his performance today, but let's also realize some perspective on the matter.  It's an average to slightly above average stat line for a senior PG.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
How about, put him in a situation where there the other guys are moving, working to get open and then doing something with the ball when they get it.   Jake was stationary.   Davante was stationary.   Otule couldn't create anything.   Jamil didn't want to create anything.   Todd just wanted the damn ball.     Derrick is not a great point guard.   I have never said he is.   But having off the ball movement as well as others creating shots sure helps mask his deficiencies.   

Yes, but part of the argument against Buzz all of last season was that he CHOSE to play Derrick and Jake together max minutes.  That was an awful decision.  Mayo should have been running alongside Derrick the 31 minutes a game Jake got, Todd got 23 a game.  JJJ would have been more dynamic than Jake as well.

Lastly, due to Derrick struggling so much last season, and teams eventually totally, and completely disrespecting his shot - and subsequently began sagging 5 feet off of him - that killed the whole team.  Jamil and Davante.  Remains to be seen if our conference foes employ the same strategy this year..hopefully Derrick continues to knock down an occasional 3 or perimeter shot to where defenses have to play him honest.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
 It's an average to slightly above average stat line for a senior PG.

But not historically bad :)
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
At this point I have come to the realization that Derrick is getting max minutes this year. The only thing that will change that is Deonte/ JJJ stepping up and playing good defense and earning more minutes for being overall players.

Today in the post game interview we heard from Wojo that Derrick is all about winning. That is Wojo's sole objective. So they are linked at the hips. Wojo wants to win now and is not going to throw this season away to the future, at least not quite yet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Nothing I have seen from JJJ this season tells me he could have played big minutes last season.   He has progressed and I am pleased, but he still gets lost defensively and doesn't always look comfortable with the ball.   The zone has been put in because of JJJ and Deonte being so bad at man, as well as having no depth on the frontline.   His man defense last year was certainly not better than it is now.  And Mayo's issues are fairly well documented.   I am pretty sure his mere presence on the team led to a whole lot of internal conflict for Brent.   'Does he belong, should I kick him out, do I play him anyway even if he isn't a great teammate, if so what kind of leash, do I just turn him loose, if I do after everything he has done, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team'.....yaddayaddayadda.    
So, yes, I agree that the backcourt combination of Derrick and Jake was not anybody's favorite.   But if the freshmen guards don't defend to your standards and the upperclassman scorer also doesn't defend well, as well as being a locker room problem, options are limited.  

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
LOL - Getting all worked up over someone having a different take on a basketball matter/message board.  Perhaps you should grow the F up?  

I said in another thread Derrick played well today and deserved the minutes he got.

Hopefully it continues - because if it does the team has a chance to be pretty good.  If it reverts back to how its typically been - it hurts the team.

Lastly, let's also put Derrick's performance into perspective:

36 minutes.  11 points. 2 rebounds.  2 assists. 2 steals 0 turnovers.  

The reality is, is that historically his production has been so abysmal, it makes a game like today seem really, really good.  I don't want to take away from his performance today, but let's also realize some perspective on the matter.  It's an average to slightly above average stat line for a senior PG.

Thanks for the perspective Ners. I think people are blowing his performance out of proportion. It was an average day, but pretty decent for Derrick. I hope he can build on it and string together a couple of average or above average performances in a row.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
But not historically bad :)

LOL - Yep, not even close.  If Derrick can perform as he did today on a fairly consistent basis - I won't have jack to say.  He absolutely helped the team win that game today.  I have no problem with him getting 30 minutes a game if this kind of performance continues.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 09:10:39 PM »
Nothing I have seen from JJJ this season tells me he could have played big minutes last season.   He has progressed and I am pleased, but he still gets lost defensively and doesn't always look comfortable with the ball.   The zone has been put in because of JJJ and Deonte being so bad at man, as well as having no depth on the frontline.   His man defense last year was certainly not better than it is now.  And Mayo's issues are fairly well documented.   I am pretty sure his mere presence on the team led to a whole lot of internal conflict for Brent.   'Does he belong, should I kick him out, do I play him anyway even if he isn't a great teammate, if so what kind of leash, do I just turn him loose, if I do after everything he has done, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the team'.....yaddayaddayadda.    
So, yes, I agree that the backcourt combination of Derrick and Jake was not anybody's favorite.   But if the freshmen guards don't defend to your standards and the upperclassman scorer also doesn't defend well, as well as being a locker room problem, options are limited.  

I'm sure Mayo was a mindf$ck for Buzz - yet part of my take on Todd was this:  If you are going to put up with the bull sh$t and keep him on the team, then let him do what he does best - which is to play the game.  The guys on the team may not have liked Todd a whole lot personally, yet they all seemed pretty happy when Todd was hitting huge clutch shots, and rallying us back into games down the stretch last season.

Problem with Jake was that I think he made 8, 2 point FGs for the ENTIRE year.  You simply can't have a shooting guard that can't make 2 pt FGS.  JJJ or even Dawson would have provided more offensive balance/threat than Jake - yet on the negative they wouldn't have been as solidly defensively - moreso JJJ than Dawson.

All that said, you still cannot be effective no matter what, when one of your players isn't defended within 6 feet - and especially not when that player is your PG.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 09:25:02 PM »
Thanks for the perspective Ners. I think people are blowing his performance out of proportion. It was an average day, but pretty decent for Derrick. I hope he can build on it and string together a couple of average or above average performances in a row.

I'm beginning to think that this is an alternate Ners account...set up simply to reaffirm everything he says.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »
Coaches' pet confirmed.

Book Em Danno..... This kid plays more minutes than all of the top 10 draft picks from last year....

Hes gotta be going pro next year.....