[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz on DList today at 11:00am  (Read 10930 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Buzz on DList today at 11:00am
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 01:50:26 PM »
Anyone know Jae's status on graduation? Buzz metioned DJO but not Jae regarding graduating. Best way to keep JCO's coming in is to make sure they graduate.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
JUCO kid Buzz Williams vs.  "Ivy kids"  Larry and Pilarz.   

Hopefully this isn't the match made in hell MU is looking at between men's basketball and front office.

I read on the internet that this IS what is happening.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
Jae has said on Twitter that he is committed to finishing his degree at Marquette.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Thanks Tulsa. Anyone know how close?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
I didn't hear the interview, but fear that when he says stuff like "Dwight and Jae were the only two true JUCOs," doesn't that sort of play into the negativity around JUCOs in general? I mean, what does that mean, if not that some guys can't cut it at a university straight out of high school? And, anyway, so what? If they go to JUCO, mature to a degree that they can hold their own (in many ways) at a university later, well isn't that ok? And isn't that one of the aims of JUCOs overall?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 02:02:30 PM »
Thanks Tulsa. Anyone know how close?

Buzz said he had one full year of course work that wouldnt count from his Junior college. Can't imagine he is that close

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »
JUCO kid Buzz Williams vs.  "Ivy kids"  Larry and Pilarz.   

Hopefully this isn't the match made in hell MU is looking at between men's basketball and front office.

I read on the internet that this IS what is happening.

+1
Jesus, step off the ledge already. 

By all means, we should totally interpret these non-specific statements, made on sports talk radio, about JUCOs as a direct attack on Pilarz and Williams, and their DASTARDLY plan to destroy MU basketball and turn it into SLU...AGAIN.  TO THE DOOM BUNKER!

I'm sure the quotes are totally not directed to the entire pro-Bucky talk radio & audience DERP-o-sphere, which constantly is running down MU's recruitment of these players.  No, that couldn't POSSIBLY be the case. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
I think that was at his original JUCO. He then switched to one that was accredited and took two years worth of coursework in one year. This allowed for him to transfer to Marquette. So, I think he came to Marquette with the credits that any other two year JUCO would have.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 02:06:45 PM »
Buzz said he had one full year of course work that wouldnt count from his Junior college. Can't imagine he is that close

But he had to get his associates degree from Howard in order to qualify at MU.  He accomplished that in two semesters plus summer school.  So he would have come in with roughly half the credits needed, but missed out on both summers because he went home last year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
But he had to get his associates degree from Howard in order to qualify at MU.  He accomplished that in two semesters plus summer school.  So he would have come in with roughly half the credits needed, but missed out on both summers because he went home last year.

+1

The reason Jae didn't arrive until late in summer his first year was because he was finishing up his Associates. But he did finish it, and thus came into Marquette as a full two-year qualifier.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »

ok thanks, i forgot about all that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Buzz is such a tough nut to crack sometimes...  He said something on the segment about not telling anyone who your famous friends are (re: Barkley), but then proceeds to namedrop Tark and Martin and others.  Not a big deal, but something I notice occasionally in terms of the consistency in which he speaks.

There's name dropping and then there's name dropping. Buzz was answering questions about working in television and he naturally talked about the people he worked with - he obviously had fun and developed a relationship with Barkley and was very moved by Ernie Johnson's personal story (cancer, etc). Buzz is the kind of guy who gravitates to people whose stories move him. Anyone who knows him knows that, and most of those people are anything but famous. Talking incessantly about all the famous guys you bring into your locker room for photo ops is another thing altogether.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Reading between the lines, Buzz pretty much said he's going to quit Marquette to coach at a junior college, and he's gonna bring his man Tark as well as Sir Charles to serve as his assistants.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
I didn't hear the interview, but fear that when he says stuff like "Dwight and Jae were the only two true JUCOs," doesn't that sort of play into the negativity around JUCOs in general? I mean, what does that mean, if not that some guys can't cut it at a university straight out of high school? And, anyway, so what? If they go to JUCO, mature to a degree that they can hold their own (in many ways) at a university later, well isn't that ok? And isn't that one of the aims of JUCOs overall?

I think Buzz's point is that ignorant people are so eager to be prejudiced against jucos they don't even bother to inquire as to why they took that path. Their bigotry is much more comfortable if they can apply a "one size fits all" kind of negativity.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 02:38:32 PM »
I think Buzz's point is that ignorant people are so eager to be prejudiced against jucos they don't even bother to inquire as to why they took that path. Their bigotry is much more comfortable if they can apply a "one size fits all" kind of negativity.

Precisely.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Reading between the lines, Buzz pretty much said he's going to quit Marquette to coach at a junior college, and he's gonna bring his man Tark as well as Sir Charles to serve as his assistants.

I'll be honest this was sounding great but I could have used a little more JUCO.   Charles went to Auburn.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
I'll be honest this was sounding great but I could have used a little more JUCO.   Charles went to Auburn.

Not much difference

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 03:56:42 PM »

Agreee 100%. Buzz talking about who is/isn't a "true Juco" player isn't him saying they are/aren't this way. He's telling the D-list guys based on THEIR perception of what a "true JUCO" is and answering the question.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
If you want real name dropping ... Bring up an old Chicos post.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »

Who was that guy insisting that Jae qualified out of HS in another thread?  Oh yeah, that was me.

It is clear now that you were correct, sir.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JD

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
Kind of disappointed in the questions, I wanted to hear more about the players, recruiting, etc.  I could careless on Buzz's outlook on JUCO players.  Does it really matter how he feels about it, I mean isn't it apparent with his style of recruiting?  I guess i shouldn't expect more coming from ESPN.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
”When it comes to the perception of junior college players, I really like to hear the criticism, because I then know who those people are and what their stance is, relative to people’s lives.

Talking about LW & Fr. P?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Kind of disappointed in the questions, I wanted to hear more about the players, recruiting, etc.  I could careless on Buzz's outlook on JUCO players.  Does it really matter how he feels about it, I mean isn't it apparent with his style of recruiting?  I guess i shouldn't expect more coming from ESPN.

Yeah...not much more they could ask, though. They could ask about current players, but it's just over a month removed from the season, so how much has changed for Van, Mayo, Gardner, etc? And other than 2012 recruits, NCAA rules prohibit him from talking about any future recruits, so Burton and Wilson are off limits, as are further out hopefuls like Stone or Looney. He could talk about recruiting in general, but other than stock quotes like "we're always recruiting" he can't really say anything. I thought it was a good interview, and the JUCO stuff, in light of the current climate we're hearing about on campus and between Buzz and the administration, was rather massive.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Yeah...not much more they could ask, though. They could ask about current players, but it's just over a month removed from the season, so how much has changed for Van, Mayo, Gardner, etc? And other than 2012 recruits, NCAA rules prohibit him from talking about any future recruits, so Burton and Wilson are off limits, as are further out hopefuls like Stone or Looney. He could talk about recruiting in general, but other than stock quotes like "we're always recruiting" he can't really say anything. I thought it was a good interview, and the JUCO stuff, in light of the current climate we're hearing about on campus and between Buzz and the administration, was rather massive.

I stand corrected, sorry Brew, I wasn't aware of that.  Appreciate the insight.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »
I absolutely enjoyed Buzz' JUCO discussion.  His logic is solid and believe most have been a credit to our program.  Give me a hungry JUCO kid willing to work hard on the court and in the classroom over a privileged HS senior many times.