[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mystery Spring Recruit???  (Read 14483 times)

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
Mystery Spring Recruit???
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Okay, so bare with me here, but there's been all this talk about a big man signing with us in the spring signing period...supposedly 6'10", 250lbs...

Naturally all of us, myself included, thought Mo Walker but now there is another thread claiming that he may be taking his game to Tubby and the Gophers...

Completely by accident I came across a name that I know nothing about, only that he is transferring from a major program, but I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about J'mison Morgan.

Based on this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/news/story?id=5041642) J'mison was technically "dismissed" from UCLA and granted his transfer rights, but it doesn't say anything about disciplinary issues (outside of one missed team meeting) and references that he's a Texas boy...

6'10", 240lbs...sounds like he could potentially be our mystery recruit, but he doesn't look like he sniffed the court at UCLA and I was wondering if anyone thought this was a possibility or knew any more about the situation?

Odds are I'm way off though and this isn't a kid we'd want to touch with a 10 foot pole, but its the off-season, so I'm doing what I can to get my college b-ball fix...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:49:11 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Mystery Spring Recruit???
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
I'd take Bobo Morgan gladly. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
It says specifically in the article that he is going to be transferring closer to his home in Dallas, and while Milwaukee is closer to Dallas than Los Angeles is, I doubt that is what he has in mind.

Furthermore, he wasn't released until last Tuesday, and the rumors about an April surprise started weeks ago.  I do realize that things may have been going on behind the scenes, but I doubt these are where the rumors were pointing.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
Can't hurt to be hopeful though, right?  I mean, we have plenty of Texas boys on our roster, so I'm sure he could feel right at home in Mke.

Again, obviously it's all just fun speculation at this point, but in terms of a potential transfer of this nature, would he be required by the NCAA to redshirt a season?  Because technically, Howland granted him a "dismissal" from the school...so he is not a transfer, but rather a kid who was "dismissed"...

I wonder if he'd be able to come in immediately as a junior (which would be awesome because we then wouldn't have our only 3 bigs in the same graduating class) and contribute in 2010?

Here's a video I found from media day at UCLA this past season...he talks about how he lost a lot of weight and trimmed his body fat and is now quicker than ever...based on a single video, he really sounds like a good, humble kid:  http://ucla.scout.com/2/909427.html

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
I'd say given the Texas roots, this could be as good of guess as any as to a possible surprise spring recruit.  Sounds like the kid has all the tools, and in Buzz I trust.  Only concern I had is the kid broke his Letter of Intent with LSU, then signs with UCLA, and now is on to his 3rd school? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
According to the article:
"The 6-foot-10 center played in 40 games over the past two seasons as a reserve with the Bruins. He averaged 2.1 points and 1.1 rebounds, less than the Bruins expected when they recruited him.

Morgan was suspended for one game earlier this month for missing a team meeting, and he didn't play in UCLA's two Pac-10 tournament games. He also missed seven games recovering from a partially torn quadriceps and struggled with conditioning throughout the season."

I'd say no thanks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Any new info on Swilling?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
Can't hurt to be hopeful though, right?  I mean, we have plenty of Texas boys on our roster, so I'm sure he could feel right at home in Mke.

Again, obviously it's all just fun speculation at this point, but in terms of a potential transfer of this nature, would he be required by the NCAA to redshirt a season?  Because technically, Howland granted him a "dismissal" from the school...so he is not a transfer, but rather a kid who was "dismissed"...

I wonder if he'd be able to come in immediately as a junior (which would be awesome because we then wouldn't have our only 3 bigs in the same graduating class) and contribute in 2010?

Here's a video I found from media day at UCLA this past season...he talks about how he lost a lot of weight and trimmed his body fat and is now quicker than ever...based on a single video, he really sounds like a good, humble kid:  http://ucla.scout.com/2/909427.html

Again, the article that you linked says he has to sit out a year and will have two years left.  Basically the same height, weight, position and eligibility as Otule.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
That shouldn't be your only concern, there are far more when it comes to Bobo, like the fact that he was awful in 2 years at UCLA.

We're talking about Ben Howland here.  A coach that has a history of developing bigs and knowing how to use bigs throughout his career at Pitt and UCLA, not some guy who wouldn't know how to use the talent.  Despite that, Morgan never produced.  He had issues with intensity, issues with style of play, issues with lack of defensive desire.  UCLA fans aren't exactly sad that he's gone, and there's a reason for that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
Pass on this. Third school and has not played much at UCLA. And this will help us how?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
Pass on this. Third school and has not played much at UCLA. And this will help us how?

He's big. Whether he's an uncoordinated ex-con or simply a lazy malcontent, if he's big, MU should sign him!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »
Personally, I think the people that are saying they have info about a "mystery spring recruit", are full of SH*t. I don't think they have any info whatsoever. If this info were true, we'd be seeing more things about it from people that really do have info. Word always leaks somehow.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
On to his third school? 

Yeah, ok.

That's like saying Vander is on his second school after his illustrious career at UW-Madison.   :-\

verbal commitments are NON-BINDING.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Just so we remember who to tar and feather if this is bullshiz.

GoMarquette23
Walk-On

Re: Reggie Murphy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I have heard from an inside source that there is a 6 10 250 pound 2010prospect about to commit to mu in the coming weeks

And "thanooj" also heard the same rumor.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 12:03:35 PM »
Just so we remember who to tar and feather if this is bullshiz.

GoMarquette23
Walk-On

Re: Reggie Murphy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I have heard from an inside source that there is a 6 10 250 pound 2010prospect about to commit to mu in the coming weeks

And "thanooj" also heard the same rumor.

haha...I was trying to remember who broke the news to us.  Glad you called them out :)

Peoples_Republic_Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
To their credit, reading Rosiak's articles over the past few weeks, it certainly sounds like he's hinting at something as well. IMO, he would probably know a lot better than just about anyone on this board. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just newbill and crowder that sign this spring.

"MU signed three players in the fall, has two more committed to sign in less than a month and is still on the hunt for at least one more despite having all 13 scholarships for 2010-'11 accounted for."

I thought I remembered him mentioning that several times but I can't remember what other articles that may have been in. I could also be completely wrong. Either way, sounds like Buzz certainly wants to sign someone else

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
A surprise "big" signing with us would be pretty exciting.  As we near April 14 I would expect more and more rumors to start percolating.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
If I was to make a guess, it would be Reggie Murphy.  However, he is now getting looks from all over the place so who knows.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
To their credit, reading Rosiak's articles over the past few weeks, it certainly sounds like he's hinting at something as well. IMO, he would probably know a lot better than just about anyone on this board. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just newbill and crowder that sign this spring.

"MU signed three players in the fall, has two more committed to sign in less than a month and is still on the hunt for at least one more despite having all 13 scholarships for 2010-'11 accounted for."

I thought I remembered him mentioning that several times but I can't remember what other articles that may have been in. I could also be completely wrong. Either way, sounds like Buzz certainly wants to sign someone else

Even if you aren't directly involved with someone, you always want to keep up the appearance that you are still interested and working on recruits.

That said, I would be truly surprised if we oversigned.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
Ian Markloff

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
What's the point in making a *surprise* recruiting announcement? I dont recall UK keeping their Enes Kantor commitment secret.... Unless he is a top 10 or so, the idea seems stupid.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »
Ian Markloff
And JP Gavinski.  Future MU twin towers... :D

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
So here is the exact information I got.  I think it was after the Notre Dame game that I was wishing out loud that we had someone to get a defensive rebound after a miss late in the game (something that plaqued us in the NCAA as well).  I said with all of these 6' - 6'6" recruits coming in it would be nice to land a "stud" like T. Black.  Why can't MU pull one of these athletic bigs who would be fasttracked to a starting spot on what has obviously been a talented and winning team in the Big East?  A person with connections (I don't want to incriminate this person by saying more) said not to worry, Buzz had gotten a good big man.  I pressed him for who it was and he said he could not say more but wait till signing day.  Buzz had said he wasn't done recruiting and he had pulled another big surprise.

I posted this to find out if anyone else had further information along the same lines, and some people did.  I never knew exact height and weight of said "surprise", and have been trying to find the right fit between Walker, mills, this UCLA kid and even the 6'6" kid who is teammates with the 2011 recruit in chicago we just offered to.  This last one just recently jumped to the class of 2010 and that seems like something Buzz is usually on top of (DJO).

Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part, but where there is smoke there is fire.  I hope my quest to confirm this info does not result in a tar and feathering, but if it comes to that, I will help point the finger and we can have a good ol' fashioned witch hunt.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
That shouldn't be your only concern, there are far more when it comes to Bobo, like the fact that he was awful in 2 years at UCLA.

We're talking about Ben Howland here.  A coach that has a history of developing bigs and knowing how to use bigs throughout his career at Pitt and UCLA, not some guy who wouldn't know how to use the talent.  Despite that, Morgan never produced.  He had issues with intensity, issues with style of play, issues with lack of defensive desire.  UCLA fans aren't exactly sad that he's gone, and there's a reason for that.

I agree that there's reason to be skeptical, but he was playing behind Dragovic and Gordon the past two seasons, two respectable big men in their own right...for me the question is, does Morgan bring a better skill set and overall ability than O'Tule or Mbao?  If he does, I say he's worth pursuing.

Don't get me wrong, I think that both of our current big men can develop, but the famous saying is that "you can't teach them to be big."  If a roster spot were to open up next year, I'd take a one-time highly regarded big man and see if we could get more out of him than anyone else has...

Derrick Caracter at UTEP is an example of how a big man can flourish with a change of coaching and scenery...he was labeled a complete bust at L'Ville, but had himself a pretty good season down in El Paso...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:27 PM »
So here is the exact information I got.  I think it was after the Notre Dame game that I was wishing out loud that we had someone to get a defensive rebound after a miss late in the game (something that plaqued us in the NCAA as well).  I said with all of these 6' - 6'6" recruits coming in it would be nice to land a "stud" like T. Black.  Why can't MU pull one of these athletic bigs who would be fasttracked to a starting spot on what has obviously been a talented and winning team in the Big East?  A person with connections (I don't want to incriminate this person by saying more) said not to worry, Buzz had gotten a good big man.  I pressed him for who it was and he said he could not say more but wait till signing day.  Buzz had said he wasn't done recruiting and he had pulled another big surprise.

I posted this to find out if anyone else had further information along the same lines, and some people did.  I never knew exact height and weight of said "surprise", and have been trying to find the right fit between Walker, mills, this UCLA kid and even the 6'6" kid who is teammates with the 2011 recruit in chicago we just offered to.  This last one just recently jumped to the class of 2010 and that seems like something Buzz is usually on top of (DJO).

Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part, but where there is smoke there is fire.  I hope my quest to confirm this info does not result in a tar and feathering, but if it comes to that, I will help point the finger and we can have a good ol' fashioned witch hunt.

Way to "man-up" on this.  Look forward to how it shakes out next week. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

There is absolutely no doubt he WANTS to sign one more...even 2 quite possibly. But the notion that one is already wrapped up is flat out WRONG.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »
Difference is, Caracter had produced at Louisville.  He'd averaged 8PPG and 4RPG in limited time due to his off the court issues.  Morgan, with UCLA in desperate need for a big to actually contribute couldn't even get off the bench a lot of the time.

Sometimes, there's more to taking a player than just his innate talent.  This is one of those times.  Howland didn't put up with his often lackadaisical attitude, there's no way Buzz would either.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
 And there was more than enough playing time to go around at UCLA this year, they were pretty bad due to early draft entries.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 02:09:43 PM »

There is absolutely no doubt he WANTS to sign one more...even 2 quite possibly. But the notion that one is already wrapped up is flat out WRONG.

And you know this how?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 02:26:09 PM »
The signing period runs from April 14th to May 19th. Lets not flip out if there is no news on April 14th.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »
Who knows what Buzz is doing when he is out recruiting.  He could be focusing on 2011 and maybe following up on some leads for 2010.  He could be recruiting with knowledge of someone not coming back though.

I would personally be fine with Fulce, Otule, and Yous being the 3 headed monster at the 5 spot this coming year.  17 mpg for Otule and Fulce respectively, and 6 mins for Yous.  15 fouls.  Decent interior D.  It's more size than we have had in quite some time.  Occassionally playing 3 SFs in Ewill, Jimmy, and Crowder would not be terrible I guess.  

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 03:29:24 PM »
Way to "man-up" on this.  Look forward to how it shakes out next week. 

+1 to thaanoj. If I would have heard what you did, I would have the same assumptions as you. I remember posters getting hung from the cross after correctly breaking out that DJames was coming back last year. I applaud your clarity and appreciate you sharing the information with us, whether or not it turns out to be true.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
Difference is, Caracter had produced at Louisville.  He'd averaged 8PPG and 4RPG in limited time due to his off the court issues.  Morgan, with UCLA in desperate need for a big to actually contribute couldn't even get off the bench a lot of the time.

Sometimes, there's more to taking a player than just his innate talent.  This is one of those times.  Howland didn't put up with his often lackadaisical attitude, there's no way Buzz would either.

I thinking this way, too.  It's great that he tackled the weight issue (a year late), but lack of defensive intensity is not a good mix with Buzz.  Sometimes there's a good reason why a 6'6" 235 pound guy is playing ahead of a 6'10" 240 guy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we got an upside guy that has some connection with a current player.  Maybe a guy like J.P. Kambola.....St. Benedicts and Grassroots Canada.  MU had been recruiting him,  but I am unsure of his status now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 04:48:49 PM »

I got it. I got it. Kris Farber from DePaul!  He's 6'10" and 250 pounds, and DePaul just had a coaching change!

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:12 PM »
What about Luke Cothron?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/clemson/basketball/recruiting/player-Luke-Cothron-82575

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2010/04/tide_closing_in_on_coveted_hoo.html
"Red Springs, N.C., power forward Luke Cothron, a 6-foot-8 player who is rated by Rivals as the nation's 33rd-best prospect for 2010, has narrowed his list to Alabama, Auburn and Marquette, according to an update today from Rivals' basketball recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer."

Decommitted from NC State.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
I would be incredibly stoked for a player of this caliber; hopefully Buzz can seal the deal.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 07:34:02 PM »
From what I have read, I am not to excited.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:35:35 PM by GOMU1104 »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
I must admit I know nothing about this kid but from a quick glance I know a few things:

1- If there was any doubt Buzz is still recruiting for this season, or that there may be some turnover on the squad, it is no more

2- Buzz really might be an absolute STUD recruiter. I mean, we all already know this, but if he can go out and snag a top 40 6'8 guy for 2010 this late in the recruiting game it would be HUGE. The kid is from NC and has had some major suitors, and if Buzz can swoop in and grab him from the school he grew up rooting for it would be incredible

3- If Buzz lands this kid and he ends up being as good as people think, this may be the most excitement Ive had over MU bball in quite some time

PS... Im still waiting for a catch here, but I hope there is none. Also, according to that article, the guy is Bama's to lose, but Ive seen Buzz do it before (Now its time for a big!)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
I will be excited if this happens on signing day, but refuse to get any kind of hope up before then.   Also, I really hope Buzz isn't running somebody off.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »
Here is an interesting take from one sports blog on March 16 on Luke Cothron:

"Today, NC State saw it's impressive recruiting class take a hit with the loss of 4-star prospect Luke Cothron. Elite guards Ryan Harrow and Lorenzo Brown remain on board, making the 2010 class still quite good, but the loss of the class' big man has got to sting for Sidney Lowe. However, not every Wolfpack fan would tell you they were upset to see Cothron's decision to look elsewhere.

In fact, some would say they were happy to see the super talented but often frustrating young man go. I saw Luke put up impressive numbers at the GlaxoSmithKline Holiday Basketball Invitation held here in Raleigh, NC, but he also showed me a player who takes poor shots and often too many of them, with a tendency to get lazy on the defensive end of the court. Granted, this was a small sampling of a generally highly thought of career for the elite prospect, but it was enough to make me question his dedication to team over individual achievement, that is for sure, and that's not an ingredient in the recipe for consistency and success."

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
Sounds like the criticisms of J-May.  Before J-May left, few would have said the same things about him.  If Cothron gave an interview to Marquette's media, he would have talked up Marquette just as much.  He has to either stay home or go away for school.  We'll see what he picks.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
Rumors are also circulating on the UNC boards that Roy may be talking to him in case Ed Davis or Justin Watts leave early. Reaction to that has been mixed though many who have seen him play think that with the right coach he can be a stud.

If Buzz can get him it would be HUGE this late in the game.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 09:18:37 PM »
Here is an interesting take from one sports blog on March 16 on Luke Cothron:

"Today, NC State saw it's impressive recruiting class take a hit with the loss of 4-star prospect Luke Cothron. Elite guards Ryan Harrow and Lorenzo Brown remain on board, making the 2010 class still quite good, but the loss of the class' big man has got to sting for Sidney Lowe. However, not every Wolfpack fan would tell you they were upset to see Cothron's decision to look elsewhere.

In fact, some would say they were happy to see the super talented but often frustrating young man go. I saw Luke put up impressive numbers at the GlaxoSmithKline Holiday Basketball Invitation held here in Raleigh, NC, but he also showed me a player who takes poor shots and often too many of them, with a tendency to get lazy on the defensive end of the court. Granted, this was a small sampling of a generally highly thought of career for the elite prospect, but it was enough to make me question his dedication to team over individual achievement, that is for sure, and that's not an ingredient in the recipe for consistency and success."

Why underline all the negatives? Glass half empty today?

Ive said it before and I will say it again, unless there is a DEFINITE red flag, MU is not yet to the point where they can turn down ANY top 50 talent. That is just the bottom line

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »
Why underline all the negatives? Glass half empty today?

Ive said it before and I will say it again, unless there is a DEFINITE red flag, MU is not yet to the point where they can turn down ANY top 50 talent. That is just the bottom line

My concern with Morgan especially, less with Cothron is that MU is probably subject to negative recruiting about not being able to develop bigs.  If we do get someone with size and a reputation as a player, and he doesn't work out, I think the volume on the negative recruiting dials ups louder.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17:17 AM »
My concern with Morgan especially, less with Cothron is that MU is probably subject to negative recruiting about not being able to develop bigs.  If we do get someone with size and a reputation as a player, and he doesn't work out, I think the volume on the negative recruiting dials ups louder.

He's 6'8 and graded at a 95 so i'm going to be excited if we get him.  However the timeline doesn't exactly mesh with the guy's story who said that after the ND game someone told him that the big man was in the bag. 
He didn't decommit till 3/16.

My guess is Gorgui Sy Dieng, thanks to the Senegal connection.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »
He's 6'8 and graded at a 95 so i'm going to be excited if we get him.  However the timeline doesn't exactly mesh with the guy's story who said that after the ND game someone told him that the big man was in the bag. 
He didn't decommit till 3/16.

My guess is Gorgui Sy Dieng, thanks to the Senegal connection.

I know nothing about Gorgui, but I would be all for this based on named alone (I just hope its pronounced george-ee)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
I know nothing about Gorgui, but I would be all for this based on named alone (I just hope its pronounced george-ee)

I don't know much either but I did find these stats:

Stat Name   Season Stats
Points Per Game   19.0
Assists Per Game   2.0
Blocks Per Game   6.0
Rebounds Per Game   15.0
Steals Per Game   1.0
3pt Field Goal%   100

6 blocks and 15 boards a game?  not to mention he can shoot from 3 point land.........
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

From http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=35189 :

"Gorgui Sy Dieng  (pronounced ra-r^ely c0-reckt-lee, let’s just call him Georgie Say Ding)"
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »
Dino is out at Head Coach at Wake Forest. That means big man/Wake signee/MU recruit Carson Desrosiers may re-open his recruiting. Hmm...perhaps Carson knew something about this but didn't want to de-commit from Wake and commit to MU until after the news about Dino was official. Sounds like a "mystery recruit" to me!

Note: This is 100% speculation and blatant rumor-starting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
Dino is out at Head Coach at Wake Forest. That means big man/Wake signee/MU recruit Carson Desrosiers may re-open his recruiting. Hmm...perhaps Carson knew something about this but didn't want to de-commit from Wake and commit to MU until after the news about Dino was official. Sounds like a "mystery recruit" to me!

As I mentioned in the other thread, he signed his LOI.  He needs to ask out, get it granted, or transfer.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
When is the Spring signing period?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »

As I mentioned in the other thread, he signed his LOI.  He needs to ask out, get it granted, or transfer.

Lighten up and just have some fun with this. Check it out...

I know about the LOI. That's why it's so hush, hush. He's already gotten out of it and plans to sign with MU next week. My co-worker's brother's friend just saw a tall, white guy on campus! It's gotta be a done deal!

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
When is the Spring signing period?

April 14th - May 19th

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »

Gaudio was fired BECAUSE Desrosiers asked out of his LOI!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »

Just like Tyshawn Taylor had to.  Of course, you had to like Taylor's chances of getting a release with Bob Hurley, Sr. staring down a brand new coach with only one prior year's experience coaching at the Division I level.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »
INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT

ESPN recruiting updated its recruiting database today and it now shows that BOTH Cothron and Gorgui Sy Dieng as considering Marquette.

I do not recall seeing those players previously so listed.  I believe that when ESPN indicates that a player is considering a school they will not list more than five schools.  So, I guess Buzz really is working the frequent flier miles, and getting his 90 days in.

Also interesting, Davante Gardner is not listed with any schools.  Often this is a sign that a player is headed to prep school or JUCO.  Of course, ESPN (Scout) still only rates Gardener as a 70, so they may just not be keeping on top of him..

DawsonCreekFillanderer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
Signing any of these bigs, Cothron in particular, will herald a new era in Marquette basketball excellence. Not since Al prowled the sidelines have we had a steady stream of nationally prominent big men. Let's start the ball rolling with a profoundly talented big signing with MU this Spring. I can think of no finer way to put 9 years of frustration to rest.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
We would have a parade down Wells St.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »
Signing any of these bigs, Cothron in particular, will herald a new era in Marquette basketball excellence. Not since Al prowled the sidelines have we had a steady stream of nationally prominent big men. Let's start the ball rolling with a profoundly talented big signing with MU this Spring. I can think of no finer way to put 9 years of frustration to rest.

Is that pederast "Abe" back on this board?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »

I don't know, winning the national championship with no starter over 6'1" might be a better way to put 9 years of frustration to rest.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »
http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2010/04/tide_closing_in_on_coveted_hoo.html

This confirms his interest in MU, but they are spinning it like he's close to going to 'Bama.

feedback