Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mystery Spring Recruit???  (Read 14484 times)

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
Mystery Spring Recruit???
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Okay, so bare with me here, but there's been all this talk about a big man signing with us in the spring signing period...supposedly 6'10", 250lbs...

Naturally all of us, myself included, thought Mo Walker but now there is another thread claiming that he may be taking his game to Tubby and the Gophers...

Completely by accident I came across a name that I know nothing about, only that he is transferring from a major program, but I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything about J'mison Morgan.

Based on this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/news/story?id=5041642) J'mison was technically "dismissed" from UCLA and granted his transfer rights, but it doesn't say anything about disciplinary issues (outside of one missed team meeting) and references that he's a Texas boy...

6'10", 240lbs...sounds like he could potentially be our mystery recruit, but he doesn't look like he sniffed the court at UCLA and I was wondering if anyone thought this was a possibility or knew any more about the situation?

Odds are I'm way off though and this isn't a kid we'd want to touch with a 10 foot pole, but its the off-season, so I'm doing what I can to get my college b-ball fix...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:49:11 AM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Mystery Spring Recruit???
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
I'd take Bobo Morgan gladly. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
It says specifically in the article that he is going to be transferring closer to his home in Dallas, and while Milwaukee is closer to Dallas than Los Angeles is, I doubt that is what he has in mind.

Furthermore, he wasn't released until last Tuesday, and the rumors about an April surprise started weeks ago.  I do realize that things may have been going on behind the scenes, but I doubt these are where the rumors were pointing.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
Can't hurt to be hopeful though, right?  I mean, we have plenty of Texas boys on our roster, so I'm sure he could feel right at home in Mke.

Again, obviously it's all just fun speculation at this point, but in terms of a potential transfer of this nature, would he be required by the NCAA to redshirt a season?  Because technically, Howland granted him a "dismissal" from the school...so he is not a transfer, but rather a kid who was "dismissed"...

I wonder if he'd be able to come in immediately as a junior (which would be awesome because we then wouldn't have our only 3 bigs in the same graduating class) and contribute in 2010?

Here's a video I found from media day at UCLA this past season...he talks about how he lost a lot of weight and trimmed his body fat and is now quicker than ever...based on a single video, he really sounds like a good, humble kid:  http://ucla.scout.com/2/909427.html

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:02:04 AM »
I'd say given the Texas roots, this could be as good of guess as any as to a possible surprise spring recruit.  Sounds like the kid has all the tools, and in Buzz I trust.  Only concern I had is the kid broke his Letter of Intent with LSU, then signs with UCLA, and now is on to his 3rd school? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:53 AM »
According to the article:
"The 6-foot-10 center played in 40 games over the past two seasons as a reserve with the Bruins. He averaged 2.1 points and 1.1 rebounds, less than the Bruins expected when they recruited him.

Morgan was suspended for one game earlier this month for missing a team meeting, and he didn't play in UCLA's two Pac-10 tournament games. He also missed seven games recovering from a partially torn quadriceps and struggled with conditioning throughout the season."

I'd say no thanks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Any new info on Swilling?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
Can't hurt to be hopeful though, right?  I mean, we have plenty of Texas boys on our roster, so I'm sure he could feel right at home in Mke.

Again, obviously it's all just fun speculation at this point, but in terms of a potential transfer of this nature, would he be required by the NCAA to redshirt a season?  Because technically, Howland granted him a "dismissal" from the school...so he is not a transfer, but rather a kid who was "dismissed"...

I wonder if he'd be able to come in immediately as a junior (which would be awesome because we then wouldn't have our only 3 bigs in the same graduating class) and contribute in 2010?

Here's a video I found from media day at UCLA this past season...he talks about how he lost a lot of weight and trimmed his body fat and is now quicker than ever...based on a single video, he really sounds like a good, humble kid:  http://ucla.scout.com/2/909427.html

Again, the article that you linked says he has to sit out a year and will have two years left.  Basically the same height, weight, position and eligibility as Otule.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
That shouldn't be your only concern, there are far more when it comes to Bobo, like the fact that he was awful in 2 years at UCLA.

We're talking about Ben Howland here.  A coach that has a history of developing bigs and knowing how to use bigs throughout his career at Pitt and UCLA, not some guy who wouldn't know how to use the talent.  Despite that, Morgan never produced.  He had issues with intensity, issues with style of play, issues with lack of defensive desire.  UCLA fans aren't exactly sad that he's gone, and there's a reason for that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
Pass on this. Third school and has not played much at UCLA. And this will help us how?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
Pass on this. Third school and has not played much at UCLA. And this will help us how?

He's big. Whether he's an uncoordinated ex-con or simply a lazy malcontent, if he's big, MU should sign him!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »
Personally, I think the people that are saying they have info about a "mystery spring recruit", are full of SH*t. I don't think they have any info whatsoever. If this info were true, we'd be seeing more things about it from people that really do have info. Word always leaks somehow.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
On to his third school? 

Yeah, ok.

That's like saying Vander is on his second school after his illustrious career at UW-Madison.   :-\

verbal commitments are NON-BINDING.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Just so we remember who to tar and feather if this is bullshiz.

GoMarquette23
Walk-On

Re: Reggie Murphy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I have heard from an inside source that there is a 6 10 250 pound 2010prospect about to commit to mu in the coming weeks

And "thanooj" also heard the same rumor.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 12:03:35 PM »
Just so we remember who to tar and feather if this is bullshiz.

GoMarquette23
Walk-On

Re: Reggie Murphy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:14 PM »
I have heard from an inside source that there is a 6 10 250 pound 2010prospect about to commit to mu in the coming weeks

And "thanooj" also heard the same rumor.

haha...I was trying to remember who broke the news to us.  Glad you called them out :)

Peoples_Republic_Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
To their credit, reading Rosiak's articles over the past few weeks, it certainly sounds like he's hinting at something as well. IMO, he would probably know a lot better than just about anyone on this board. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just newbill and crowder that sign this spring.

"MU signed three players in the fall, has two more committed to sign in less than a month and is still on the hunt for at least one more despite having all 13 scholarships for 2010-'11 accounted for."

I thought I remembered him mentioning that several times but I can't remember what other articles that may have been in. I could also be completely wrong. Either way, sounds like Buzz certainly wants to sign someone else

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
A surprise "big" signing with us would be pretty exciting.  As we near April 14 I would expect more and more rumors to start percolating.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
If I was to make a guess, it would be Reggie Murphy.  However, he is now getting looks from all over the place so who knows.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
To their credit, reading Rosiak's articles over the past few weeks, it certainly sounds like he's hinting at something as well. IMO, he would probably know a lot better than just about anyone on this board. That said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was just newbill and crowder that sign this spring.

"MU signed three players in the fall, has two more committed to sign in less than a month and is still on the hunt for at least one more despite having all 13 scholarships for 2010-'11 accounted for."

I thought I remembered him mentioning that several times but I can't remember what other articles that may have been in. I could also be completely wrong. Either way, sounds like Buzz certainly wants to sign someone else

Even if you aren't directly involved with someone, you always want to keep up the appearance that you are still interested and working on recruits.

That said, I would be truly surprised if we oversigned.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
Ian Markloff

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:30 PM »
What's the point in making a *surprise* recruiting announcement? I dont recall UK keeping their Enes Kantor commitment secret.... Unless he is a top 10 or so, the idea seems stupid.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »
Ian Markloff
And JP Gavinski.  Future MU twin towers... :D

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
So here is the exact information I got.  I think it was after the Notre Dame game that I was wishing out loud that we had someone to get a defensive rebound after a miss late in the game (something that plaqued us in the NCAA as well).  I said with all of these 6' - 6'6" recruits coming in it would be nice to land a "stud" like T. Black.  Why can't MU pull one of these athletic bigs who would be fasttracked to a starting spot on what has obviously been a talented and winning team in the Big East?  A person with connections (I don't want to incriminate this person by saying more) said not to worry, Buzz had gotten a good big man.  I pressed him for who it was and he said he could not say more but wait till signing day.  Buzz had said he wasn't done recruiting and he had pulled another big surprise.

I posted this to find out if anyone else had further information along the same lines, and some people did.  I never knew exact height and weight of said "surprise", and have been trying to find the right fit between Walker, mills, this UCLA kid and even the 6'6" kid who is teammates with the 2011 recruit in chicago we just offered to.  This last one just recently jumped to the class of 2010 and that seems like something Buzz is usually on top of (DJO).

Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part, but where there is smoke there is fire.  I hope my quest to confirm this info does not result in a tar and feathering, but if it comes to that, I will help point the finger and we can have a good ol' fashioned witch hunt.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
That shouldn't be your only concern, there are far more when it comes to Bobo, like the fact that he was awful in 2 years at UCLA.

We're talking about Ben Howland here.  A coach that has a history of developing bigs and knowing how to use bigs throughout his career at Pitt and UCLA, not some guy who wouldn't know how to use the talent.  Despite that, Morgan never produced.  He had issues with intensity, issues with style of play, issues with lack of defensive desire.  UCLA fans aren't exactly sad that he's gone, and there's a reason for that.

I agree that there's reason to be skeptical, but he was playing behind Dragovic and Gordon the past two seasons, two respectable big men in their own right...for me the question is, does Morgan bring a better skill set and overall ability than O'Tule or Mbao?  If he does, I say he's worth pursuing.

Don't get me wrong, I think that both of our current big men can develop, but the famous saying is that "you can't teach them to be big."  If a roster spot were to open up next year, I'd take a one-time highly regarded big man and see if we could get more out of him than anyone else has...

Derrick Caracter at UTEP is an example of how a big man can flourish with a change of coaching and scenery...he was labeled a complete bust at L'Ville, but had himself a pretty good season down in El Paso...