[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue Down To 5  (Read 17547 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Vander Blue Down To 5
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
Marquette, UCLA, Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin.

http://ny2lasports.com/NY2LA%20Sports%20Articles/Vanderlists5.htm
The General has taken on a new command.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Vander Blue Down To 5
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:11:19 PM »
Marquette, UCLA, Florida, Arizona, Wisconsin.

http://ny2lasports.com/NY2LA%20Sports%20Articles/Vanderlists5.htm

Man do I want to get this guy...  Not only because he's good, but because I just want to screw UW.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:23:30 PM »
eh...kinda feel like including MU and UW on the list may just be to appease local fans of both teams.  I really don't see us beating out any of those schools for his services.  who knows though...love to have him.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
I would go crazy if we got Blue. Not only is he a special talent, but it would send a message to UW, and it would just make me the happiest man alive to rub it into all the badger fan faces.

For some reason I have a really good feeling about MU and Blue, we seemed to be out of it for a bit but it seems recently things have changed a bit.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
eh...kinda feel like including MU and UW on the list may just be to appease local fans of both teams.  I really don't see us beating out any of those schools for his services.  who knows though...love to have him.

I think if Blue was just including the state schools as appeasing the locals, I feel he wouldn't include MU because that will just make life more difficult in Madison. I can't imagine him wanting to put up with listening to people around him be angry about thinking about MU, just to appease the state schools. So I feel there's a real interest. Having said that, I'm not getting my hopes up because those are some big name schools and UW still seems to be the leader.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
I believe he's coming to Marquette, and will be a star.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
The lure of playing close to home might be greater then the lashing he took from Schultz and the local media but I would not rule out MU.  He loves the coaches, the style of play, the conference and he has a real good relationship with Maymon.  He is very comfortable with MU and maybe Milwaukee is close enough to home that we are the comprimise he makes with his family where he doesn't have to play in his hometown where he got absolutely bashed and dragged in the dirt by Schultz through the paper and radio but his family can see still him play live more times then not.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Sounds like he either wants to stay close to home or go play at a place with a nice climate and really hot girls on and off campus. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »
Sounds like he either wants to stay close to home or go play at a place with a nice climate and really hot girls on and off campus. 

Based on his style of preference and hot girls, I'd say Florida or Arizona.  UCLA does not run an up tempo offense.  He's spent his whole life in Wisconsin, it will be interesting to see what kind of draw that has or if he wants to go experience the world and get out of dodge.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:35:29 AM »
To anyone that has seen him play, will he be more of a PG or SG when he gets to the next level?  I've seen him listed as a PG on one or two of the recruiting services. 

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 06:25:34 AM »
I got a good feeling about my boy Blue announcing his decision to come play college ball in Milwaukee.

Of course...I had a good feeling about the Cubs winning the NL Central this year....so take this prediction with a grain of salt.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
FWIW...

Accorrding to the president of the Middle TN Florida Gator Fan club, with whom I work, "Blue is kind of a 2nd level recruit for the Gators, where they would probably take him if he committed, but they really aren't after him."

Sounds like a nice problem to have.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:03:22 AM »
Don't want to jump to conclusions but Marquette was the first school that he listed when asked. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
No matter what happens in the end I'm glad that he re-opened his recruitment to gauge his options.  It would be great to have a guy like Blue run and gun with the rest of our guys, but since he's a Wisconsinite I hope that he ends up somewhere that he will find success and happiness (that isn't UW@Madison ;))

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
Don't want to jump to conclusions but Marquette was the first school that he listed when asked. 

Along those same lines, Mr. Maymon changed his number from #22 to #25...

A certain Memorial Spartan wears #22.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »
Along those same lines, Mr. Maymon changed his number from #22 to #25...

A certain Memorial Spartan wears #22.

Or he could have changed it because my guess is #22 is the next number to be retired.  I mean the last guy that wore that number ranks #1 on the all-time scoring list... even if it took him an extra year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
The talk is that Arizona and UW lead in that list...maybe BMA has heard otherwise?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
FWIW...

Accorrding to the president of the Middle TN Florida Gator Fan club, with whom I work, "Blue is kind of a 2nd level recruit for the Gators, where they would probably take him if he committed, but they really aren't after him."

Considering what's been going on in Gainesville since their last title, perhaps the Gators should re-work their recruiting level priorities.

I know taking a jab at a recent back-to-back title program is weak sauce but it's been a crapshow down there lately.

Btw, I thought MU was out of this recruitment over a month ago?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
Or he could have changed it because my guess is #22 is the next number to be retired.  I mean the last guy that wore that number ranks #1 on the all-time scoring list... even if it took him an extra year.

It could be but MU retires jerseys not numbers and anyways, I would have thought if #22 was going to be retired, MU would not have initially allowed #22 as an option.

Personally, I think there are more signs pointing to Blue committing to MU then him committing to the Badgers.  My opinion is that it is three horse race between Arizona, UW and MU and that when he opened up his commitment it was because of what he heard from Maymon about MU and the way MU played under Buzz.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »
FWIW...

Speaking of Florida.....11 transfers in the last 5 years now

Vargas to leave UF program

By Kevin Brockway
Staff writer

Published: Friday, August 21, 2009 at 8:45 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, August 21, 2009 at 8:45 p.m.

The short-lived Florida career of forward Eloy Vargas is over.

Vargas will be granted his release from his UF scholarship and is visiting Kentucky this weekend, according to a source close to the program. Vargas also posted on his Twitter page that he "will be takin a visit to Kentucky Wildcats this weekend."

Florida coach Billy Donovan acknowledged before his Ocala tip-off club banquet Wednesday that Vargas was dealing with some academic difficulties. Another source confirmed Friday that Vargas would not have been academically eligible for the fall semester.

"I'm not at liberty to say much at all about him right now," Donovan said Wednesday. "But I think there might be a time where I can come out and say something."

Vargas was recruited heavily by new Kentucky assistant coach Orlando Antigua when Antigua was at Pittsburgh two years ago.

Vargas was a top-30 national prospect out of American Heritage High in Plantation, but never materialized into an impact player during his freshman season at Florida. The 6-foot-10 Vargas missed the first 11 games while recovering fromoffseason ankle surgery. In nine games, Vargas appeared sparingly, averaging 0.6 points and 0.7 rebounds with five blocked shots.

If Vargas leaves the men's basketball program in poor academic standing, it could hurt the team's Academic Progress Rate score. Florida posted a 950 in the APR last March, its first score above the minimum threshold of 925 in three seasons.

Senior guard Walter Hodge has yet to graduate but told The Sun he intends to take an internship next spring to complete his degree after finishing a professional season overseas. Former Gators AlHorford and Taurean Green have returned to take classes and are on track to earn their degrees.

If Vargas enrolls at Kentucky, he would become the 11th Florida player to transfer since the 2003-04 season, a list that includes Mario Boggan (Oklahoma State), Ryan Appleby (Washington), Rashid Al-Kaleem (Division III American University), Mohamed Abukar (San Diego State), Jimmie Sutton (FAU), David Huertas (Ole Miss), Brandon Powell (Marshall), Jonathan Mitchell (Rutgers), Jai Lucas (Texas) and Allan Chaney (Virginia Tech).

Alex Tyus also announced his intention to transfer from the Florida program in April, but decided to return after a meeting with Donovan about his role on the team.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
FWIW...

They have some top guards already committed...2009 SG Kenny Boynton (#15), 2011 PG Austin Rivers  (#3)

They are in on PG Brandon Knight (#2, 2010) and SG Brad Beal (#9, 2011)

So yes...VB likely isnt their top priority.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:12:47 AM »
I'd make a healthy bet he ends up at UW.

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:28 AM »
i will make a realistic bet and say he ends up at MU
Da Bulls

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
One of the guards , Austin Rivers (Doc's other son) may not be a completely done deal.

There are rumors flying all over the Florida and Duke boards that Rivers may be wavering on his commitment and may be thinking about committing to Duke. Apparently K does not follow the unwritten rule among BB coaches about not continuing to recruit those who have already committed elsewhere.

Doc came out last week and said while he would like to see him reopen his recruiting, for now the kid is still tied to Florida. The whole tone of all the interviews lends credence to the rumors that his verbal to Florida may be weakening.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 05:47:38 PM »
On my facebook newsfeed today I saw Blue asking Erik Williams for his phone number. I guess both Williams are on the recruiting trail.

And yes I do make friend requests to MU players. Heck Im facebook friends with so many of them I even got a friend request from Terry Sanders the other day lol
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

nyg

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4419306

Florida also has the reincarnation of Niv.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
On my facebook newsfeed today I saw Blue asking Erik Williams for his phone number. I guess both Williams are on the recruiting trail.

And yes I do make friend requests to MU players. Heck Im facebook friends with so many of them I even got a friend request from Terry Sanders the other day lol

You need to be careful, the NCAA is cracking down on this.  You may be considered a booster

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
Is it problematic if I am merely facebook friends with them? I haven't made any contact with them other than a friend request. I mainly just like to see their statuses, pics and videos. I really have no idea of the specific rules.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
Is it problematic if I am merely facebook friends with them? I haven't made any contact with them other than a friend request. I mainly just like to see their statuses, pics and videos. I really have no idea of the specific rules.

I don't know, it's all virgin territory and the NCAA is still trying to get their heads around some of this stuff.  I know the NCAA has already stated using facebook to try and lure kids to a school is against the rules.   For example, setting up a Vander Blue come to Morehead State page.  But I'd suspect the NCAA would feel that if any booster reached out to a player to talk to them on facebook, it would be no different then a booster calling them on the phone, sending them a letter, or emailing them.

It's just not worth doing with any prospects.  With current players, I have no idea what the new rules are.  It would be worth finding out from the MU compliance office.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4419306

Florida also has the reincarnation of Niv.

With a name like Nimrod, I can't see any opposing team ever making fun of him.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
I don't know, it's all virgin territory and the NCAA is still trying to get their heads around some of this stuff.  I know the NCAA has already stated using facebook to try and lure kids to a school is against the rules.   For example, setting up a Vander Blue come to Morehead State page.  But I'd suspect the NCAA would feel that if any booster reached out to a player to talk to them on facebook, it would be no different then a booster calling them on the phone, sending them a letter, or emailing them.

It's just not worth doing with any prospects.  With current players, I have no idea what the new rules are.  It would be worth finding out from the MU compliance office.

1)  Mail $5 to the UW@Madison.  Make check payable to B. Alverez.
2)  Set up a "Vander to UW" page.
3)  Self report to the NCAA.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
4) Repeat 3 more times

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 02:25:12 AM »
5) ???
6) Profit
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

LON

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
7) cut hole in box
8) ...
9) have Bo Ryan open that box

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »

I am no expert either, however (using common sense), as long as you're only friends with MU players that already have a LOI, then I don't think there would be any problem.  In general, wait until commits get to campus and start taking classes before you "friend" them.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 09:01:08 AM »
7) cut hole in box
8) ...

And that's the way you do it!
Cause were smart enough to know when a gift needs givin...

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »
7) cut hole in box
8) ...
"And that's the way you do it!
Cause were smart enough to know when a gift needs givin..."

Hah, Hah, hahhahahahahhahahahhhahahahhahahhahahahahhaha.   

Bo opens the box. . . awesome.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2009, 09:23:17 AM »

I'd say until they have a policy concerning it, it is free territory.

I am not suggesting recruiting players on facebook...

what I am saying is that friending someone would never be against the NCAA rules... you could easily prove it if you had to.

these kids are allowed to have social networking sites... as long as you aren't a part of the team or a major donor I don't see how you could be considered a booster.

unless you are like chico and take the word "booster" to its most liberal interpretation... which the NCAA wouldn't do.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
MU has one real scholarship left (two if they oversign). Hopefully, they get a commitment from Walker or Droseurs(sp). Given that Blue will probably not commit to late October or November does Buzz even wait for him? Personally, I think the scholies will be filled before Blue makes a decision.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2009, 12:32:30 PM »
7) cut hole in box
8) ...

But will you have to wait for Christmas?

And let's not forget about Mother's Day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 01:45:27 PM »
I'd say until they have a policy concerning it, it is free territory.

I am not suggesting recruiting players on facebook...

what I am saying is that friending someone would never be against the NCAA rules... you could easily prove it if you had to.

these kids are allowed to have social networking sites... as long as you aren't a part of the team or a major donor I don't see how you could be considered a booster.

unless you are like chico and take the word "booster" to its most liberal interpretation... which the NCAA wouldn't do.

Well, I beg to differ.....please see the NCAA guidelines on this as explained by the Pac Ten and the West Coast conference on Internet Chat rooms, message boards and social networking.

(1) The NCAA does not consider the boosters who run these Web sites to be members of the media. Therefore, when the administrators of these sites contact a prospective student-athlete (an individual who has started classes for the ninth grade), interview them and place that interview on their Web site, Saint Mary's is responsible for an impermissible contact. Recently, the University of Kentucky had a situation where some football recruits were interviewed by the administrator of such a Web site, which resulted in a violation for Kentucky. As a result of this violation, the university had to declare both recruits (who eventually signed with Kentucky) ineligible and appeal to the NCAA to have their eligibility reinstated.

(2) Boosters participating on a message board are not permitted to write, call or e-mail a recruit. Sometimes we will read on a message board that someone thinks it is okay to contact a prospect once they sign a National Letter of Intent with an institution. However, that signing does not change the fact he or she is still a prospect and all prohibitions against booster contact continue to apply. We often also hear comments that because a person is not a graduate of that particular institution or a season ticket holder, they believe they are not a booster and it is okay for them to contact a prospect. However, part of the NCAA's definition of a booster includes anyone who contacts a recruit on behalf of the institution. Therefore, as soon as someone on a message board e-mails or sends a message out to a recruit, they automatically become a booster and are subject to the NCAA rules prohibiting such contact.

(3) The NCAA considers chat rooms and instant messaging to be telephone calls. Since boosters are not permitted to call a recruit, participating in a chat room with a recruit or instant messaging him or her is not permitted.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
where your argument runs into a trap is that we aren't doing this on behalf of the institution.  We are not paid employees and we are just writing back and forth on a message board.

you can't use your definition of the word booster, or even Webster's definition of booster, to define "booster".  It must be defined in the NCAA rulebook.

allow me to indicate the subjective matter here:

(1) The NCAA does not consider the boosters who run these Web sites to be members of the media. Therefore, when the administrators of these sites contact a prospective student-athlete (an individual who has started classes for the ninth grade), interview them and place that interview on their Web site, Saint Mary's is responsible for an impermissible contact. Recently, the University of Kentucky had a situation where some football recruits were interviewed by the administrator of such a Web site, which resulted in a violation for Kentucky. As a result of this violation, the university had to declare both recruits (who eventually signed with Kentucky) ineligible and appeal to the NCAA to have their eligibility reinstated.

(2) Boosters participating on a message board are not permitted to write, call or e-mail a recruit. Sometimes we will read on a message board that someone thinks it is okay to contact a prospect once they sign a National Letter of Intent with an institution. However, that signing does not change the fact he or she is still a prospect and all prohibitions against booster contact continue to apply. We often also hear comments that because a person is not a graduate of that particular institution or a season ticket holder, they believe they are not a booster and it is okay for them to contact a prospect. However, part of the NCAA's definition of a booster includes anyone who contacts a recruit on behalf of the institution. Therefore, as soon as someone on a message board e-mails or sends a message out to a recruit, they automatically become a booster and are subject to the NCAA rules prohibiting such contact. 

(3) The NCAA considers chat rooms and instant messaging to be telephone calls. Since boosters are not permitted to call a recruit, participating in a chat room with a recruit or instant messaging him or her is not permitted. 

any decent lawyer could poke a thousand holes in this.

The way that you are liberally interpretting this is that NO ONE could ever talk to the kid about attending a specific school.  By your definition, if I was the kid who sat next to him in English my senior year of HS, and I suggested on a message board, or on IM, (heck, if i texted the kid!) that he attend MU that MU would somehow be on the hook for this behavior is pretty preposterous.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 03:31:30 PM »
where your argument runs into a trap is that we aren't doing this on behalf of the institution.  We are not paid employees and we are just writing back and forth on a message board.

you can't use your definition of the word booster, or even Webster's definition of booster, to define "booster".  It must be defined in the NCAA rulebook.

allow me to indicate the subjective matter here:

any decent lawyer could poke a thousand holes in this.

The way that you are liberally interpretting this is that NO ONE could ever talk to the kid about attending a specific school.  By your definition, if I was the kid who sat next to him in English my senior year of HS, and I suggested on a message board, or on IM, (heck, if i texted the kid!) that he attend MU that MU would somehow be on the hook for this behavior is pretty preposterous.

Exactly.....but you're selling the NCAA short to think they are anything but preposterous.  That's exactly what they are.  And their definition of a booster is all that matters, not mine or yours or Webster's.  If you donate, you're a booster.  If you buy season tickets, you're a booster.  If your company is a sponsor, you're a booster.  If you donate your time to the athletic department, you're a booster.  Etc, etc.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »

Exactly.....but you're selling the NCAA short to think they are anything but preposterous.  That's exactly what they are.  And their definition of a booster is all that matters, not mine or yours or Webster's.  If you donate, you're a booster.  If you buy season tickets, you're a booster.  If your company is a sponsor, you're a booster.  If you donate your time to the athletic department, you're a booster.  Etc, etc.

right, which is why I am saying that they should clearly define the word booster.  I hardly think that they could consider any of us on this board (as long as we don't donate  :P) "boosters".  And if they did, they would have a tough time proving it if someone decided to call B.S. and get legally involved.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 03:36:02 PM »
Regardless of whether it is legal or not, I can assume Buzz would not want us invloved with recruits. Leave the recruitng to Buzz & his staff.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
Ok - while you two argue about recruits and boosters, the original post was about the guys that are already on campus (I believe).

Like I said before, if they're already a Marquette student, then contact is fine (well, I mean, like facebook stuff - obviously no gifts :)

However, leave recruits alone.  'nuff said.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
The NCAA wants ambiguity on the booster definition (in my opinion).  In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry and we should stay away from facebook friendships with student athletes.  It's very easy to track those associations and only takes a few people from rival schools to cause MU problems....that is until the NCAA changes their definitions on this stuff which I do not think they will.  They are "technology neutral" in their application of their rules.

Here's how it is defined (the one in red is very vague)

What is a "booster?" (a.k.a. Representative of Marquette University's Athletics Interests)

You become a booster if:

You have ever been a member of any organization promoting Marquette University
You have ever made any type of donation to MU Athletics, or a MU booster organization
You assisted in any manner the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete,
You have ever assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families
You are the parent or legal guardian of an enrolled student-athlete,
You have promoted MU Athletics in any other manner.

Once an individual is identified as a "booster" the individual retains the booster identity forever. NCAA rules hold Marquette University responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives and boosters. Any booster involved in a NCAA violation may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program. Such benefits and privileges may include, without limitation, ticket privileges that may be withheld by Marquette University for a period of time deemed to be reasonably appropriate by the NCAA, Big East or MU. The revocation of ticket privileges may result in a booster being denied admittance to any MU hosted athletics event.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
Regardless of whether it is legal or not, I can assume Buzz would not want us invloved with recruits. Leave the recruitng to Buzz & his staff.

+1

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
So contributing to the Blue & Gold fund makes you a booster?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »

Absolutely

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »

Was this supposed to be in teal?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2009, 07:44:45 PM »
So a $10 check sent to the basketball offices at the Kohl Center and a few Facebook posts can open up a can of worms for our friends to the west?  That seems a little too easy.  I am guessing some people in Kentucky or NC would have tried that already.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2009, 08:06:35 PM »
So a $10 check sent to the basketball offices at the Kohl Center and a few Facebook posts can open up a can of worms for our friends to the west?  That seems a little too easy.  I am guessing some people in Kentucky or NC would have tried that already.

As easy as the random birthday cards UW athletes get from boosters stuffed with $$$.

Did you know a UW-Madison athlete has up to 150 birthdays in a single year...it's incredible.

;D

Relax Badger fans, I'm teasing.

At the end of the day, the NCAA will do what the NCAA does.  A facebook posting befriending isn't going to put MU on NCAA probation, but if another school wants to be pricks about it, they can certainly make MU jump through some hoops and have to self report minor violations.  So it's best just not to go down that path.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
As easy as the random birthday cards UW athletes get from boosters stuffed with $$$.

Did you know a UW-Madison athlete has up to 150 birthdays in a single year...it's incredible.

;D

Relax Badger fans, I'm teasing.

At the end of the day, the NCAA will do what the NCAA does.  A facebook posting befriending isn't going to put MU on NCAA probation, but if another school wants to be pricks about it, they can certainly make MU jump through some hoops and have to self report minor violations.  So it's best just not to go down that path.

When I was a high schooler in Madison in the mid 80s, I witnessed first hand a rather famous Badger booster giving $$$ to a future NFL linebacker on a golf course when I got paired up with them as a single golfer.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
Chico

There's more truth to what you say than you know. Back when I was at MU one of my good friends from HS was a starting defensive player at Notre Dame. He was recruited by Parseghian and ended his career under Dan Devine. For several years (when he started) I regularly visited on game weekends.

Every week he got dozens of letters from their "subway alumni" (all people he had never met) from all over the country with a brief note telling him what a great game he had played and also enclosed was cash, anywhere from $20-100 depending on the person telling him to "go buy yourself a good steak." (remember this was in the early 70s so $20 went a long way) He was named Defensive player of the week by AP/UPI several times and the number of envelopes went up as did the amount of the enclosures on those weeks. When he returned to school for his junior season he found that his order for his class ring was stamped "paid in full."  Each week as the players left the stadium after the game, crowds of people remained to wish them well. Strangers would come up, shake his hand while congratulating him on the game and most would have at least a $20 bill palmed in their hand as they did so.

I don't know how ANY school can police these types of things short of having all mail sent to and opened by the AD and prohibiting any contact with fans.  This happened at ND under Parseghian so it can and probably does happen almost everywhere.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
Here's Marquette's page on the issue.

If it was linked already, sorry for the repeat.  I think this may be where Chico got his information.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:35:27 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
The NCAA wants ambiguity on the booster definition (in my opinion).  In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry and we should stay away from facebook friendships with student athletes.  It's very easy to track those associations and only takes a few people from rival schools to cause MU problems....that is until the NCAA changes their definitions on this stuff which I do not think they will.  They are "technology neutral" in their application of their rules.

Here's how it is defined (the one in red is very vague)

What is a "booster?" (a.k.a. Representative of Marquette University's Athletics Interests)

You become a booster if:

You have ever been a member of any organization promoting Marquette University
You have ever made any type of donation to MU Athletics, or a MU booster organization
You assisted in any manner the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete,
You have ever assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families
You are the parent or legal guardian of an enrolled student-athlete,
You have promoted MU Athletics in any other manner.

Once an individual is identified as a "booster" the individual retains the booster identity forever. NCAA rules hold Marquette University responsible for all actions of its athletics representatives and boosters. Any booster involved in a NCAA violation may lose benefits and privileges associated with the athletic program. Such benefits and privileges may include, without limitation, ticket privileges that may be withheld by Marquette University for a period of time deemed to be reasonably appropriate by the NCAA, Big East or MU. The revocation of ticket privileges may result in a booster being denied admittance to any MU hosted athletics event.

Chico, I understand that they intentionally keep it vague to prosecute (persecute? haha) as they see fit.  But what I am getting at is that their definition is too vague.  By their definition anyone who has watched a game on TV (even someone who has played a NCAA pool!) is a booster.  What I am saying is that their definition would get shredded in court if someone took it that far.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
I just saw Dick Strong as one of Vander Blue’s friends on Facebook.  Somebody blow the whistle!!  He’s either a dirty old man or a slimy booster looking to gain an edge.   Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2009, 05:07:32 PM »
I just saw Dick Strong as one of Vander Blue’s friends on Facebook.  Somebody blow the whistle!!  He’s either a dirty old man or a slimy booster looking to gain an edge.   Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

And, ergo you are 19 or female?
Ludum habemus.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

Either way,  you’re guilty of something fishy if you’re a male over the age of 20 and you frequent Facebook. 

I just read in today's paper that Facebook claims that nearly 50% of their users are people 30 and over.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
I just read in today's paper that Facebook claims that nearly 50% of their users are people 30 and over.

Hello....I've got pretty much half of MU '90 as friends.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »

I hope this is not true.....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Oy, I'm guessing that's just a rodent trying to cause problems.  Of course, Strong did get his MBA from UW-Madison.  He doesn't have any degrees from Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
I hope this is not true.....

It's not...Vander Blue is not facebook friends with Dick Strong.