[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment  (Read 16564 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »
I guess we'll never get the real scoop on this.  Different articles with different implications, and even different quotes from the kid himself.

Probably because different news organizations interviewed him and he gave slightly different answers.

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: A limo to recruit Roseboro? Really
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »
The real question is, did Kevin O'Neill ever pull the same stunt...?

(oh and by the way, Kevin O'Neill used to do it too).

(as did KO by the way).

Oh. Thanks, Chicos.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: A limo to recruit Roseboro? Really
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
I think it has just as much to do with "newness".  When you're new, you get the extra pass on these things.  When you've been here 7, 8 , 9 years, that benefit of the doubt goes away.  Too much history is built up.  The honeymoon period is over at that point.  Happens with everything, whether it's a relationship, a boss, an employee, a teacher, friends, and even basketball coaches. 

I just think it's hilarious the slams based on the limo use by folks and Buzz is using a limo (as did KO by the way).  It's too funny to me.

Agree. I'm just saying Buzz is more likable "so far".

If he keeps bringing in talent, winning games, and graduating players, his southern accent and shaved head will be charming.

If he loses a lot of games, has a lot of transfers or players who don't graduate, his accent will become tiresome and his shaved head will be terribly out of style.

"When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric. "

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »
New article

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/the_intelligencer/the_intelligencer_news_details/article/120/2009/september/08/roseboros-marquette-saga-all-too-common.html

This is insane.

Buzz is such a conceited ass.

"Buzz Williams, who acknowledged to a Milwaukee newspaper last November that he had left Roseboro's recruitment to one of his assistants, went so far as to fly into town on a private jet and to have a limo pull up in front of Roseboro's family's home to make an impression."

Let's go haters. Everybody who thought this was wrong back in the Shumpert recruitment be sure to light-up Buzz for this. And, that private jet $ could be used for a lot better things (like Karate lessons).

Buzz is such a self promoter.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
It's interesting that so much has been published about Roseboro out of this paper.  For sh*ts and giggles, I did a Google news search on him from last year to see what the same paper said about him when he signed.

Here's an article from just after he signed.

http://www1.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/110-12052008-1632858.html

Interesting quote from his coach in this article: 

“He's pretty grounded for a 17-year-old kid. For a lot of guys, this would be pretty ego-inflating. But he came right back to do some hardcore workouts. He understands that that goes along with what you accomplish. You don't just walk out and play mediocre. You have to go out and bring it every night."

Now compare this with a quote from the article Chicos just posted: 

"And Brett's visions of grandeur - he's 17 - were pretty high, and when they started sweet-talking him, he just turned off the other schools," Keeler said. "I keep on saying this - I was so happy for him, but I was still befuddled."

I think it is clear that the coach and the player were a little over their heads, and the author is trying to paint a sympathetic picture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
What sucks is that Roseboro handled himself professionally and with dignity in all of the quotes that I've seen from him about his departure.

Hopefully the coach that keeps running his mouth about stupid crap doesn't end up getting to him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
Also factor in that about 50% of what you say never even makes it to the story, so who knows what was left in the edited version of any of these articles.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
here is the quote that stands at the crux of the entire situation...."Among the promises made, according to Keeler, was the opportunity to play right away for a team that plays in the Big East, that spent a good part of last season ranked in the Top 10 nationally."

Was that promise made...well of course it was.   Buzz promised him the OPPORTUNITY to play right away.  He promised him an opportunity, just as he promised 12 other kids on the roster that same opportunity.  What Brett chose to do with that opportunity is Bretts choice also, unlike Dwight Burke and David Diggs he chose to ship off to St. B's.

All a coach can sell is his program and an opportunity. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »
here is the quote that stands at the crux of the entire situation...."Among the promises made, according to Keeler, was the opportunity to play right away for a team that plays in the Big East, that spent a good part of last season ranked in the Top 10 nationally."

Was that promise made...well of course it was.   Buzz promised him the OPPORTUNITY to play right away.   

And what's left out of that quote was Buzz saying that Lazar was the only player he was guaranteeing 30 minutes a game to, because this year's team wasn't going to be as good as last year's.

*sigh*
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2009, 03:03:58 AM »
Some of the guys to the west certainly have their issues with Buzz.  I've never heard one peep about Buzz in a negative fashion in terms of how he is as a person but not surprisingly it's always a few Badger fans that have.   ::)   

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=4731675

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2009, 06:07:31 AM »
Big steaming pile of 'who cares'.     The knuckleheads to the west criticize us for having 100% graduation rate as proof we cheat, criticize us for recruiting a kid who speaks 5 languages as proof our academic standards are lax.    Their fearless leader criticized how another man chose to arrive for a funeral.    They criticize the parents of our recruits for being too involved or too difficult.   They criticize our players for chatting with their old teammates or one of our greats for chatting with another kid from his old high school.   F them sideways.    Smoke screen to give themselves something to talk about besides the elephant in the room.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2009, 07:31:43 AM »
Chico's....the humor that should be associated with their fandom throwing Buzz out as anything but a hard-working coach is obvious. 

Just send the UW hoops team some beers, and let the humiliation ensue.  Now that Gullickson has graduated, NEXT IN LINE!  Oops, Diamond Taylor couldn't just get THREE underage drinking tickets, but decided to rob his fellow students...NEXT IN LINE! 

But BUZZ is the bastard....come on, some realism would be nice.

feedback