[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:48:54 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by Its DJOver
[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment  (Read 16566 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: More on Roseboro - article in Philly paper about recruitment
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
Whoever made the point about the HS coaches being held responsible as well is dead right. If you have an average player mistakenly get targeted by a major school after a one or two game aberration, it is your responsibility to tell the school (MU) and the kid that it's not the right fit.

Put yourself in the HS coaches position.  As many have stated here, the Quakertown league isn't that good and these HS coaches are not at the top of the food chain.  So when a Big East team offers these kids, these coaches are supposed to tell the kid the Big East team is wrong?  Really?  What if the Big East team was right and the HS coaches convinced the kid not to go?

We've all grown up in a culture in this country that the only ceilings we have are those that we place on ourselves and to reach for the stars.  In my mind, if a Big East team and recruiting "experts" from that team say you're good enough to play for them and offer a scholarship, how is the kid or the coaches not going to believe that is the case?  For all we know these coaches have been coaching for 1 year or it could be for 25 years but never had a DI athlete, which sounds like the case.  If that is the situation, these HS coaches are going to take the "expertise" of a major DI coach and his staff's word, especially when it's followed with an actual offer.

I don't see how any blame can be put on the HS coaches and player here, especially in this case where we're all in agreement that this is a lower level HS league and a poor team.  These coaches aren't going to know enough to question a major college team.  I'm sure in the back of their minds they though Roseboro was a pretty good player and would go to DI somewhere, but when a major program strolls in and says this guy is good enough to play for us, here's a scholarship...well those doubts disappear because the "experts" have said he's good enough.  Can you imagine the conversation:  "Gee Brett, I don't know but we think you should go to St. Bonaventure or Hofstra, we realize that one of the best recruiters in the nation offered you a scholarship to play in the Big East, but we don't think he's right.  We've had no high major DI players in the history of our coaching so you'll just have to take our word on it that we're right and those guys that do this for a living in evaluating players are wrong".

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:47:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
*Wonders if Rosiak will be chiming in with a blog entry soon*

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
Practical matter is that life is not always "fair" or predictable.  Its true in the business world as well.  I hired numerous guys and gals during my busineess career.  That process is similar to BB recruting.  You end up with winners, middling performers and some busts.  For those in the latter two categories, counseling is always important.  For the last category, swift action is best for all parties.  I suspect the Roseboro situation falls into this area.  Best of luck to Brett in his future endeavors and hope that St. Bonaventure is the right fit for him.

+1 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
You have no idea what was said as you were not there. How could you possibly know what Buzz did or did not say.

I'm saying I'd have a very hard time believing that Buzz pulled a complete 180 from the upfront and honest approach that is his usual self.  Considering other recruits have stated his honesty and straightforwardness as a huge reason why they were interested in playing for him I have a hard time believing that he did the exact opposite with Roseboro; sure it's possible, but I'm not going to believe the words of a coach of a below average high school team based on what I know about Buzz.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 02:54:25 PM »
I thought the article was fair.

+1.

Roseboro is just a kid, and Marquette was playing a game of high stakes with his life. It is reasonable for there to be some criticism of Marquette for the way this was handled. True, it was great that Buzz and staff were upfront with the kid about playing time and released him from his scholarship, but he shouldn't have been on campus in the first place as it turns out.
We Are Marquette

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 06:50:29 PM »
what does need to be said by the parents and aau and hs coaches is the following ....Brett these kids are for the most part top 100 players.  Theey were not second team all-conference they were first team all state or all-american.  They did not avergae 14 points a game they averaged 25-30 they also for the most part contended for state champuonships and played on elite level aau teams since they were in junior high.    Are you 100% ok with and still committed to busting you ass like you have never busted it before and will playing veri inferequesntly for very few minutes be acceptable to you.  Understanding you may never get appeciable playing time and if you do it will most likely only amount to being a role player at best by your senior year. 

If Brett can be honest with himself than all the power to him.  the other option is to work equally hard and probably be a role player come his sophomore or junior year with the potential to start for ayear or two. 

which of thsoe two would be most acceptable to you.  that is the honest discussion that unfortunately does not take place or is not contemplated long enough or hard enough by kids parents and advisiors.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
It's the handler's fault!
SS Marquette

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 01:56:58 AM »
what does need to be said by the parents and aau and hs coaches is the following ....Brett these kids are for the most part top 100 players.  Theey were not second team all-conference they were first team all state or all-american.  They did not avergae 14 points a game they averaged 25-30 they also for the most part contended for state champuonships and played on elite level aau teams since they were in junior high.    Are you 100% ok with and still committed to busting you ass like you have never busted it before and will playing veri inferequesntly for very few minutes be acceptable to you.  Understanding you may never get appeciable playing time and if you do it will most likely only amount to being a role player at best by your senior year. 

If Brett can be honest with himself than all the power to him.  the other option is to work equally hard and probably be a role player come his sophomore or junior year with the potential to start for ayear or two. 

which of thsoe two would be most acceptable to you.  that is the honest discussion that unfortunately does not take place or is not contemplated long enough or hard enough by kids parents and advisiors.

I question whether this kid is as big a bust as some people are making him out to be.  A role player at best by his senior year?  Maybe.  But players with fewer skills and less potential improved enough to be major actors on major teams, including Marquette.  Anyone remember Amal McKaskill?  He did not even start for his high school team.  He not only started at Marquette, he eventually made it to the NBA.  How about Jarod Lovette?  Unhearalded and supposedly unathletic, he started for two years and the decline in the team's fortunes had a great deal to do with Lovette's medical problems his senior year.  He was good enough to play pro ball, and without those medical problems would have played overseas for a few years. 

People are assuming that this kid would never be better than the worst player on the team, just ahead of the walk-ons.  Maybe.  But even he said he had improved in his short stay at Marquette.  Give him a year and he might well be a player next season or the one after.  He might well have had a career equal or better than Dwight Burke, which is not at all bad for a college player.  He might still wind up being a good college player.  But it didn't work out for him here right now. 

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 06:45:41 AM »
Does anyone remember Carlton Christian?

Dude, Carlton Christian was a badass.  Don't forget....he dunked on Amare Stoudemire in high school.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:30 AM »
I question whether this kid is as big a bust as some people are making him out to be.  A role player at best by his senior year?  Maybe.  But players with fewer skills and less potential improved enough to be major actors on major teams, including Marquette.  Anyone remember Amal McKaskill?  He did not even start for his high school team.  He not only started at Marquette, he eventually made it to the NBA.  How about Jarod Lovette?  Unhearalded and supposedly unathletic, he started for two years and the decline in the team's fortunes had a great deal to do with Lovette's medical problems his senior year.  He was good enough to play pro ball, and without those medical problems would have played overseas for a few years. 

People are assuming that this kid would never be better than the worst player on the team, just ahead of the walk-ons.  Maybe.  But even he said he had improved in his short stay at Marquette.  Give him a year and he might well be a player next season or the one after.  He might well have had a career equal or better than Dwight Burke, which is not at all bad for a college player.  He might still wind up being a good college player.  But it didn't work out for him here right now. 

i do not disagree with you at all ...there is absoltely nothing that said Roseboro could not have been a performer for MU.  Nothing at all.  But with that being said was he properly sat down and asked what he would be acceptable with.  If yu are really looking for immediate playing time then why select MU?  I mean like I said you are competing against 7-8 HS all-Americans.  If what you are loooking for is more playing time more quickly obviously a lower level is the way to go.  My point is kids and parents need to better weigh what it is that they are really looking for better. 

Your examples are pretty good the only thing I would argue is Amal was not only bigger but was really athletic and played in the Chicago leagues and had the benfit of a redshirt year and would have signed somewhere else if not MU.  It not like Mu was a top 20 program playing tin the BE when we signed him we had just come off an 11-18 season in the MCC.   Lovette is probably a better example but Lovette was much more highly regarded and was like a 4 tme all-confernece player and a first team all stater that scored 25  a game versus a second team all- conference player as a senior who scored 14  agme.

i beleive the kid may have had potentila and obviosuly so did the coaches hence the offer.  kid seemed to want his cake and to eat it o all on day one.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
I'm willing to let Buzz skate on this one, but let's not have any more mistakes of this magnitude.  No way the coaching staff should have offered a kid that could not even make it to the beginning of classes.   Where was the due diligence. 

If Roseboro's expectation was too high, and he chose to leave, so be it.

If Buzz told him not to expect to see the floor for a couple of years, but if he put in the work you never know, and he chose to leave thats on Roseboro.

If Buzz told him to take a hike, we made a mistake, I'll give him one free pass.  You can't screw with a kid like that.  If that is the case, then I hope the staff is going out of their way to help Roseboro find a place where he fits.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 10:36:09 AM »
I'm willing to let Buzz skate on this one, but let's not have any more mistakes of this magnitude.  No way the coaching staff should have offered a kid that could not even make it to the beginning of classes.   Where was the due diligence. 

If Roseboro's expectation was too high, and he chose to leave, so be it.

If Buzz told him not to expect to see the floor for a couple of years, but if he put in the work you never know, and he chose to leave thats on Roseboro.

If Buzz told him to take a hike, we made a mistake, I'll give him one free pass.  You can't screw with a kid like that.  If that is the case, then I hope the staff is going out of their way to help Roseboro find a place where he fits.

anyone that thinks the third option occured is simply bonkers

chapman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 01:13:02 AM »
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-s-roseboro.7002639aug29,0,3974849.story?track=rss

Looks like he's going to St. Bonaventure.  But read the above article and it's sure to put some more fuel on the fire.  The article claims that Buzz went Tom Crean minus the midnight hour and pulled up to Roseboro's place in a limo, though it also claims that occurred "last winter" despite him committing in the fall. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 07:59:59 AM »
http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/all-s-roseboro.7002639aug29,0,3974849.story?track=rss

Looks like he's going to St. Bonaventure.  But read the above article and it's sure to put some more fuel on the fire.  The article claims that Buzz went Tom Crean minus the midnight hour and pulled up to Roseboro's place in a limo, though it also claims that occurred "last winter" despite him committing in the fall. 

And they didn't bother to learn that the nickname changed 15 years ago, so I'm not going to really trust anything that isn't a direct quote there.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »
I love the way they make Otule sound like Shaq in the article.  And yeah, the Warrior quote is a bit unimpressive.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 09:31:38 AM »
And they didn't bother to learn that the nickname changed 15 years ago, so I'm not going to really trust anything that isn't a direct quote there.

JMO, but you will find that the majority of people on the east coast still refer to Marquette as the Warriors whether they know about the change or not. Our former coach was very, very influential during his time and this is evidence of that influence.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »
JMO, but you will find that the majority of people on the east coast still refer to Marquette as the Warriors whether they know about the change or not. Our former coach was very, very influential during his time and this is evidence of that influence.

That's fine and all, but that doesn't make it less wrong.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

It's one thing when Joe on the street isn't aware, but a sports reporter missing it just comes off as lazy & uninformed.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A limo to recruit Roseboro? Really
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

"Just last winter Marquette head coach Buzz Williams had flown to Pennsylvania in a private jet to woo Roseboro, even taking a limousine to Roseboro's house for effect. At the time, Roseboro was considering scholarship offers from schools such as West Virginia, Temple and St. John's."

Wait, this can't be true, this MUST NOT BE TRUE!  Roseboro is clearly lying (or his coaches are) or wait for it, Buzz is doing the same thing that Crean was (oh and by the way, Kevin O'Neill used to do it too).

Too funny

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:05:07 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:23 AM »
IMO we should have groomed Roseboro..., he might have been the next Brian Butch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
IMO we should have groomed Roseboro..., he might have been the next Brian Butch.

Is that supposed to be in teal?

Butch was a McDonald's All American and consensus top 50 recruit.  Roseboro is a mid level DI pick that didn't make the top 350 in some services.  I wish the kid well, he'll probably have a few games where people will say "see what he could have been", but I think MU clearly made a recruiting mistake here and it's good it ended this way.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »
I guess we'll never get the real scoop on this.  Different articles with different implications, and even different quotes from the kid himself.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: A limo to recruit Roseboro? Really
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »
"Just last winter Marquette head coach Buzz Williams had flown to Pennsylvania in a private jet to woo Roseboro, even taking a limousine to Roseboro's house for effect. At the time, Roseboro was considering scholarship offers from schools such as West Virginia, Temple and St. John's."

Wait, this can't be true, this MUST NOT BE TRUE!  Roseboro is clearly lying (or his coaches are) or wait for it, Buzz is doing the same thing that Crean was (oh and by the way, Kevin O'Neill used to do it too).

Too funny

Let's just be perfectly honest:

Buzz is more likable (so far), and therefore fans are willing to cut him more slack.

For whatever reason, Crean rubbed some fans the wrong way, and therefore he was criticized for a lot of things that Buzz won't be.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »

It wasn't that type of limo...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
Let's just be perfectly honest:

Buzz is more likable (so far), and therefore fans are willing to cut him more slack.

For whatever reason, Crean rubbed some fans the wrong way, and therefore he was criticized for a lot of things that Buzz won't be.

I think it has just as much to do with "newness".  When you're new, you get the extra pass on these things.  When you've been here 7, 8 , 9 years, that benefit of the doubt goes away.  Too much history is built up.  The honeymoon period is over at that point.  Happens with everything, whether it's a relationship, a boss, an employee, a teacher, friends, and even basketball coaches. 

I just think it's hilarious the slams based on the limo use by folks and Buzz is using a limo (as did KO by the way).  It's too funny to me.

feedback