collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: This year's commencement speaker, Bill Cosby  (Read 11286 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: This year's commencement speaker, Bill Cosby
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »
Don't worry, I've got you all beat.  2004 Wayne Sanders.  He was the guy who promised a million dollars if they changed the name back to Warriors.

We all went nuts, then nothing happened.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »
Don't worry, I've got you all beat.  2004 Wayne Sanders.  He was the guy who promised a million dollars if they changed the name back to Warriors.

We all went nuts, then nothing happened.

Well...I guess that all depends on how you define "nothing."  Quite a lot happened...then "nothing" happened.

I guess one good thing that came out of all that was the MU logo.  I like that logo, and it seems to have slowed the proliferation of the Golden Eagles logo.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »
They'd be lucky if it was the "I Spy" Cosby.

That would be sweet!
Have some patience, FFS.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Any chance he brings Mortimer Ichabod with him?

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
Bill Cosby is such a legend, I think this is really cool. Speaking of Cosby, I'd liken the 2008 speaker, Andrew Natsios, to the first 35 minutes of the film Ghost Dad.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 10:36:34 AM »
Some sociologist.  Awful.  Actually, he was so boring that the students were talking among themselves to an embarrassing degree.  It was either that or stabbing our ears with sharp objects.  Honestly, never before or since have I seen a crowd so completely ignore a speaker.

That's about what I remember sitting in the Bradley Center.  I recall thinking if there was anyway the speaker might realize this and just pull his own plug.  No such luck.
I guess the memorable part was that it was boring & completely unmemorable. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 11:03:38 AM »
Cosby sucks.
because he's black? racist.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »
Rehnquist, and he was dreadfully dull.   Completely upstaged by the student speaker.   Matt McCue(sp?), IIRC. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »
what about the Picture Pages Cosby?  Bet you have that song in your head now.

or

"cuz you're white but have a snoz like Bill Cosby." --Bloodhound Gang

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:38 AM »
I think the speaker in 1974 was Adelei Stevenson.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
Bill Cosby is such a legend, I think this is really cool. Speaking of Cosby, I'd liken the 2008 speaker, Andrew Natsios, to the first 35 minutes of the film Ghost Dad.
Natsios was the worst.  I honestly can't imagine a speech being worse than that.  I remember looking up and seeing my Dad asleep (literally).

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
Hammerin' Hank Aaron was pretty good last year. It was interesting to hear him talk about walking past campus on his way to the ballpark every day.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »
Hammerin' Hank Aaron was pretty good last year. It was interesting to hear him talk about walking past campus on his way to the ballpark every day.

Wasn't old County Stadium located next to what is now Miller Park? I have difficulty believing he'd walk the 3ish miles (plus the additional distance from his home) to the ballpark every day.

PickNRoll

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
Buck Raynor.  They certainly tried hard that year ('79).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
Wasn't old County Stadium located next to what is now Miller Park? I have difficulty believing he'd walk the 3ish miles (plus the additional distance from his home) to the ballpark every day.

Didn't you know Hank Aaron lived at McCormick?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
I have difficulty believing he'd walk the 3ish miles (plus the additional distance from his home) to the ballpark every day.

and it was uphill both ways

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
The 78-year-old Aaron was given an honorary doctorate Sunday. His wife was also in attendance.

"I passed your campus many times, walking to County Stadium in 1954, my rookie year with the Milwaukee Braves," Aaron said to the graduates. "I had no car."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
Anyone know of a link of all the honorary degrees handed out?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
Sister Rosemary Connelly is also being awarded is MU honorary doctorate this year.  If she doesn't leave the crowd awed and teary eyed, I doubt any speaker will. A living saint. Long overdue for MU to recognize her efforts...long overdue.  Poor Bill Cosby to follow her.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2013, 11:09:53 AM »
There is nothing more meaningless and overrated than commencement speakers. The whole ceremony and the day, in general, is a giant waste of time.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
Yeah, but which Bill Cosby is going to show up?

The Happy Jello Pudding Bill Cosby, or the Angry Old Man Bill Cosby?

Hopefully the angry old man because we need to hear the harsh reality of life. Plus, it will give us something to talk about.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
I think I (class of '05) have you all beat.  Cokie Roberts......

Although the one highlight was watching a beach ball get bounced around during the speech and then looking down the row and seeing some poor, completely hungover, unsuspecting, about read to fall over in their chair person getting smoked in the face with the beach ball.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:49:45 AM by Strokin 3s »

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »

She'd be a lot cooler if she had anything whatsoever to do with Kokie's.
http://www.vice.com/read/kokies-v15n1

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »

I have heard Cokie Roberts speak a few times and she has always been excellent. One of the finest eulogies I have heard was delivered by Roberts for Betty Ford. Roberts father was Hale Boggs, the House Majority Leader when Jerry Ford was the Minority leader. Roberts had a unique perspective on American politics and commented that when something really needed to get done her father and Ford would drive together to Martin's Tavern in Georgetown where, over steaks and scotch, they would reach a consensus.

She observed that members from both sides of the aisle socialized year round, leaving political differences at the door. That never happens now, of course, and most families do not take up residence in DC so members fly home for the weekend on Thursday night. The spatial displacement contributes greatly to the lack of civility.

Roberts related how her mother, Lindy, and Betty Ford were tremendous influences for the good on their husbands an America benefited from their wisdom and humanity. The fact that Lindy Boggs and Betty Ford were friends went a long way towards helping America find a consensus that no longer exists.

Death on call

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
I have heard Cokie Roberts speak a few times and she has always been excellent. One of the finest eulogies I have heard was delivered by Roberts for Betty Ford. Roberts father was Hale Boggs, the House Majority Leader when Jerry Ford was the Minority leader. Roberts had a unique perspective on American politics and commented that when something really needed to get done her father and Ford would drive together to Martin's Tavern in Georgetown where, over steaks and scotch, they would reach a consensus.

She observed that members from both sides of the aisle socialized year round, leaving political differences at the door. That never happens now, of course, and most families do not take up residence in DC so members fly home for the weekend on Thursday night. The spatial displacement contributes greatly to the lack of civility.

Roberts related how her mother, Lindy, and Betty Ford were tremendous influences for the good on their husbands an America benefited from their wisdom and humanity. The fact that Lindy Boggs and Betty Ford were friends went a long way towards helping America find a consensus that no longer exists.

That may be and I don't doubt she is a good speaker for the sort of venue you are talking.  But part of being a good speaker is knowing your audience and in that respect she failed miserably as a commencement speak.

feedback