[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Goodbye Miller Park  (Read 14839 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Goodbye Miller Park
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
Most of what you wrote is mostly correct, however the part in bold is not.  Global HQ is in Denver.  Montreal is the HQ for MC Canada.

You're 100% correct. My bad.
But I like to throw handfuls...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »

Personally, I don't like the change and will just continue to call it Miller Park.  Heck, I still call us the Warriors 25 years later.  However, I think this will damage the Brewers brand more than people realize.  The association with Miller helped portray the stadium as a fun place to go for entertainment.  Beer and baseball go together better than any other sport.  A good chunk of their attendance is people just going for a fun time, and baseball is secondary.  I think changing the name eliminates that connection and will make it a slightly less fun place to go in people's minds.

Honestly, other than not being able to call it “The Keg” as a fun nickname, I don’t anticipate the experience to change at all. It was a nice tie in, but I don’t see this impacting the brand much. People will still be able to tailgate, have a few beers, and watch baseball.

For the record, if I had it my way, I’d keep it Miller Park, but it won’t change my thoughts on the team or game day experience.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
From what I am hearing, and contrary to the Brewers/Amfam statement, is that Amfam approached the Brewers last summer and threw a "ridiculous" amount of money at the Brewers.  Miller had no interest in matching that number.

I have ties to Amfam beyond just living in Madison, and I have to say that they have become an absolutely horrid company.  If you have your insurance with Amfam, I would strongly encourage you to switch.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
Should wee switch ta yo company, kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
There is no way Miller Park will be the naming rights for two more seasons. I bet their deal will be paid off by AmFam before the 2020 season.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.  How do you think AmFam could force Miller out before the expiration of the current agreement?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »
I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.  How do you think AmFam could force Miller out before the expiration of the current agreement?

I was thinking the same thing.  Miller has the rights for the next two years, and with the high expectations for the Brewers on the field for these years, I don’t see Miller easily giving up the publicity that will come with the name.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »

I think he means Miller could do a deal to get out early, much like AT&T just did to end their Giants partnership a year early and let Oracle take over.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
I think he means Miller could do a deal to get out early, much like AT&T just did to end their Giants partnership a year early and let Oracle take over.

Ok, that makes sense.  I was focusing more on the suggestion that AmFam could force that to happen. 
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
Wrigley is named after the chewing gun company, FWIW.

It was originally called Weeghman Park until those fat cat Wrigleys bought the joint.

It was actually named Cubs Park for a few years after the Wrigleys bought it.  It was then named Wrigley Field after the owner William Wrigley, Jr..   It is not named after  his chewing gum company.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:59 PM »
Should wee switch ta yo company, kin, hey?

The General would be good for you.  Except that's amfam too.

What's a dude to do?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
Well....if they re-named Yankee Stadium the whole city would riot. History matters!
Exactly what history occurred at Miller Park?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »

I saw Mark Buehrle hit a home run there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »
I saw Mark Buehrle hit a home run there.

Hahahah!  Ok.  That is good enough for me!    ;D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2019, 10:13:28 PM »
Lambeau, Yankee Stadium, Busch Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley would be tough to change.

Probably add Dodger Stadium to that list and maybe Madison Square Garden. They tried to sell naming rights on Soldier Field when it was renovated in 2002, but the backlash on naming it anything but Soldier Field was enormous.

Can't imagine either Kaufman Stadium or Arrowhead Stadium in the Truman Sports Complex in KC being renamed either.

On the other hand, I still like the concept of "OneCallThat'sAll" Arena. Would be so fitting!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2019, 10:42:16 PM »
This is true.  "New Comiskey" became The Cell pretty darn quickly.  When the Sox have a string of winning seasons, fans will naturally begin calling the same park some version of Guaranteed Rate.  Hell, even Willis Tower is catching on.

Sox Park
Sears Tower

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »

The second tie in ASG history

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »

I saw Carlos Zambrano throw a no-hitter there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »

Sometimes the rights seller has an opt out.

Situation where it may be good for all parties involved.

It happens, and will happen again....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2019, 10:51:03 AM »
Probably add Dodger Stadium to that list and maybe Madison Square Garden. They tried to sell naming rights on Soldier Field when it was renovated in 2002, but the backlash on naming it anything but Soldier Field was enormous.

Can't imagine either Kaufman Stadium or Arrowhead Stadium in the Truman Sports Complex in KC being renamed either.

On the other hand, I still like the concept of "OneCallThat'sAll" Arena. Would be so fitting!

When I worked for the Angels we sold the rights to Edison International.  They filed for bankruptcy a number of years later.  Decision was made not to sell them again, so it returned to Angel Stadium.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »
When I worked for the Angels we sold the rights to Edison International.  They filed for bankruptcy a number of years later.  Decision was made not to sell them again, so it returned to Angel Stadium.

The naming rights jinx is right up there with the SI Cover jinx.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
I saw Carlos Zambrano throw a no-hitter there.

Me too!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
Me too!

I was there another Warrior.  Good times

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
I think what you'll see now is a larger in game activation for Miller brands in the ballpark. Miller has always held the rights to build out and brand Bernie's Slide back to a mug of beer. There was talk quite a while back about making the slide look like flowing beer being poured out of bottle that Bernie would ride down.

That would be fantastic!!!   I miss Bernie's old County Stadium beer mug slide!  Bring it back, Miller!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »
That would be fantastic!!!   I miss Bernie's old County Stadium beer mug slide!  Bring it back, Miller!

The original one is at Lakefront Brewery.  They used to let people who took the tour slide down it, but they had to stop because lawyers and insurance.
Have some patience, FFS.