[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 114808 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2015, 05:13:35 PM »
I think he will stay all four years. My current best guess is he will have a steady progression ending as Big East Player of the Year as a Senior. Upside is he has a Ty Hansbrough/ Doug McDermott type college career.

You serious?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
I think he will stay all four years. My current best guess is he will have a steady progression ending as Big East Player of the Year as a Senior. Upside is he has a Ty Hansbrough/ Doug McDermott type college career.

Needs to demonstrate he can play against tough athletic quick players. I think Big East is a great forum for him to do that. Obviously his skills are formidable and very glad we have him.

There is some good points being made about practice in an NBA environment. I think he may end up enjoying the college environment and want to savor that for as long as he can.

You actually had to post this on a second thread? As if it wasn't dumb enough the first time?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
You actually had to post this on a second thread? As if it wasn't dumb enough the first time?
It is my point of view. Your free to call it dumb. I think it is well considered and probably going to be accurate.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »
It is my point of view. Your free to call it dumb. I think it is well considered and probably going to be accurate.

And if I decided to throw my life away on excessive amounts of felony level narcotics with some binge drinking tossed it...looks like New York is the place to be.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »
Here we get another string of comments since anybody (who was me) posted: What if he loves the Marquette experience? What if he simply likes college?

To me, that will be the main factor in Henry's decision.

All kinds of kids -- including several at the 1-and-done factory that is Kentucky -- have stayed in college "just because."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »
Here we get another string of comments since anybody (who was me) posted: What if he loves the Marquette experience? What if he simply likes college?

All kinds of kids -- including several at the 1-and-done factory that is Kentucky -- have stayed in college "just because."

Yes - but many of those supposed Kentucky 1-and-dones stayed out because they weren't going to be drafted as high as they thought they should go, or faced a deep draft that hurt their chances.  Think Willy Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress and the Harrison twins.  And in years 2 and 3 either their stock dropped (Harrison twins) or they were injured (Poythress).  Maybe it's better to be sitting out with a torn ACL if you're collecting $ millions on a guaranteed contract.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »

Clearly Henry can and will do what-ever he wants.  I guess from my personal perspective, I would be thrilled if he enters the NBA as a first round pick as soon as he can/wants to.  Would I be upset if he stayed at Marquette in a McDermott type situation - of course not.  However, he doesn't owe me or MU any more time than he needs.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »

What makes you believe that Henry will be different than most one and done types and will stick around for all four years?  What makes your point of view "well considered?"  Because to me it sounds simply like a guess wrapped around some blue and gold goggled hopefulness.  The vast majority of these types of players leave school after one or two years, barring an injury of some sort.  I really don't know why he would be different.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2015, 09:00:29 AM »
I'm so moved on from Henry being here in 2017 that I'm starting to think Duane will declare, too.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »
I'm so moved on from Henry being here in 2017 that I'm starting to think Duane will declare, too.

6'1" off guards are not a hot NBA commodity.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »
Ellenson measured 6-10.5 in shoes and 7-2 wingspan in 2014
hansborough was 6-9.5 and 6-11.5 Wingspan (people we surprised because he did not play that big).
McDermott was 6-7 1/2 with shoes and 6-9.25 WS. 

So ellenson functionally is 2" taller then Hansbrough and has more skill and a larger frame and is 5" taller then McDermott with less skill and a larger frame. 

They were both lottery picks but McDermott cannot defend his position in the NBA and hansbrough is limited OFF to able to create scoring for himself.

Plus its not a strong Class in 2016, The top guy in this draft would probably be projected around 5-7 in 2014 and 2015. 

Ellenson could very well project top 3 if he has a good year. My hope is he stays for 2 to play with his Bro one more year and Play for a top 5-10 team in the country, play for a big East title and go deep in the NCAA's

FYI with wingspan I only counted a 1" for every 2" longer figuring functional height.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
6'1" off guards are not a hot NBA commodity.

You and I both know this but players sometimes think a different way.  This is Duane's 3rd year out of HS, that coupled big time on the floor success and family considerations could have him try it.  Look at Tokoto, more and more, guys just want to get into the pro's where they think they can beat the next man out for that money spot.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
No doubt the earlier you get on an NBA roster the faster you're going to progress as a player. But the practice hour "restriction" is not a restriction at all, and not a reason to choose leaving early over staying in college, as no NBA team will ever go over those 20 hours per week or 4 hours per day.  The college players can go to their practice gyms and shoot at any time of the day or night, just like the NBA players can.  The only thing that restricts the amount of time they can be in the gym is that they have to be in class (at some schools, anyway).

So what's the point?

In college, you absolutely cannot under any circumstances practice more than 20 hours/week or 4/day.

In the NBA, you probably won't practice that much, but nothing would stop you from doing so if you wanted/needed to.

Advantage is still with the NBA on this point for development possibility.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
You and I both know this but players sometimes think a different way.  This is Duane's 3rd year out of HS, that coupled big time on the floor success and family considerations could have him try it.  Look at Tokoto, more and more, guys just want to get into the pro's where they think they can beat the next man out for that money spot.

If Duane did this. He'd make Vander look like Albert Einstein.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
So what's the point?

In college, you absolutely cannot under any circumstances practice more than 20 hours/week or 4/day.

In the NBA, you probably won't practice that much, but nothing would stop you from doing so if you wanted/needed to.

Advantage is still with the NBA on this point for development possibility.

My point is that you will NEVER practice more than 20 hours in a week or 4 hours in a day in college or the pros.  There is no limit on NCAA athletes as to how many hours they can be by themselves (or with teammates but without coaches) in a gym (or on a field).  Sure, there's a limit as to how much they can have organized practices, but it is far more than any NBA team would even fathom practicing.  So this is not an advantage for leaving for the NBA.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
If Duane did this. He'd make Vander look like Albert Einstein.

Completely disagree.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »

I voted 2 years, based only on this notion.  If he is not totally on love with college life, he's gone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
Yes - but many of those supposed Kentucky 1-and-dones stayed out because they weren't going to be drafted as high as they thought they should go, or faced a deep draft that hurt their chances.  Think Willy Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress and the Harrison twins.  And in years 2 and 3 either their stock dropped (Harrison twins) or they were injured (Poythress).  Maybe it's better to be sitting out with a torn ACL if you're collecting $ millions on a guaranteed contract.

Yes, but when they signed to play for Kentucky, they did so thinking they were going to the 1-and-done factory and that they, too, would go 1-and-done.

I don't know if "Draft Express" or any of the gurus had any of those guys in their top 10 as Henry is now. But I do know they were very highly ranked coming out of HS.

I mean, Andrew Harrison was the No. 5 prospect in the entire HS class of 2013, and No. 1 at his position. He was a 6-5 stud. You don't think he fully expected to be a 1-and-done?

Stuff happens.

If Henry goes, he goes. If he stays, he stays. All we can do is blah-blah-blah about it.

I just don't see why it is so easily dismissed that Henry Ellenson could end up staying more than one year (for whatever reason) like Andrew Harrison and Kyle Singler did. It's not an outrageous, borderline-impossible notion as some make it out to be -- especially if Henry simply loves being in college.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
The dude is 6'10" with a guard's skill set. He gone, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2015, 09:53:22 PM »
The dude is 6'10" with a guard's skill set. He gone, ai na?

How tall was Tim Duncan and what kind of skill set did he have?

junglecat022

• Walk-On
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »
Henry's highlights from the final two games in Italy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJcdW9lCns&feature=youtu.be

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »
How tall was Tim Duncan and what kind of skill set did he have?

Henry was 4 months old when Tim was drafted and wasn't even born yet when Tim decided to return for his senior season.  I think you need to find a more recent example. 

The best I can think of are Blake Griffin or Marcus Smart. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »
Henry was 4 months old when Tim was drafted and wasn't even born yet when Tim decided to return for his senior season.  I think you need to find a more recent example. 

The best I can think of are Blake Griffin or Marcus Smart. 

Yeah in the Tim Duncan era, one and dones were rare.  Kevin Garnett was the first guy drafted out of high school just two years earlier.  Players have a completely different mind set these days.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:13 AM »

Yeah in the Tim Duncan era, one and dones were rare.  Kevin Garnett was the first guy drafted out of high school just two years earlier.  Players have a completely different mind set these days.

They were more rare, but Reggie Harding was drafted out of high school by the Pistons in 1962.

Garnett was the first in the modern era, but there were a few before him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »
They were more rare, but Reggie Harding was drafted out of high school by the Pistons in 1962.

Garnett was the first in the modern era, but there were a few before him.

I typed it.  Knew I should have said "in the modern era."  Hit "post" anyway to see how long it would take.

Less than 15 minutes.

;)

feedback