[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Great Circus Parade  (Read 3859 times)

GGGG

• All American
Great Circus Parade
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:12:53 AM »
Am I think only one who thinks that its hype is greater than its popularity and that it should just go away?

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
Re: Great Circus Parade
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
Yes.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
I thought is was, well ... great.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »
I agree that the hype > popularity (but that could be said with just about every big event .. Summerfest included) .. but disagree "it should just go away."

Clearly, that parade delights thousands of people and brings $$ into downtown Milwaukee.

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
I enjoy the parade. Makes me feel like a kid again for a few hours.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Well, it did go away for a few years, and in my opinion, probably should have stayed there. I guess it depends who's paying for it. If the private sector underwrites the majority of the cost (I doubt that's the case), that's fine. If not, I don'y see much value in it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:58:43 AM »
Well, it did go away for a few years, and in my opinion, probably should have stayed there. I guess it depends who's paying for it. If the private sector underwrites the majority of the cost (I doubt that's the case), that's fine. If not, I don'y see much value in it.

probably because you aren't a business owner downtown. :)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »
If not, I don't see much value in it.

You're kidding, right?   A few hundred thousand people attended the parade, not to mention the crowds thru the week at Veterans Park.  The entertainment value for families watching that parade is quite high, not to mention the downtown establishments that loved the foot traffic, hotels that saw additional bookings, etc, etc.

I can't find an economic impact report, so it may not be "worth" the $1m to put it on, but is any parade "worth" it then?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
My gut feeling is that the eonomics of the parade probably work with all the folks it brings into  downtown.  I'll bet the merchants look forward to the increased traffic.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »
Well considering it went away for 5 years or so, and it will not be back next year, I guess my answer is it clearly is not worth it. If it was, I think it is logical to assume that those people who derive the supposed benefit would have more interest/ability to find the money. They do claim it is 100% privately funded, so that's good.

I am not anti-Circus parade. If people like it, that's fine. So I don't really care when you get right down too it,  but I am of the opinion that sometimes there is just too much that goes on for a city this size, and all that ends up happening is one event cannibalizing another.  There are only so many discretionary dollars out there

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »
You're kidding, right?   A few hundred thousand people attended the parade, not to mention the crowds thru the week at Veterans Park.  The entertainment value for families watching that parade is quite high, not to mention the downtown establishments that loved the foot traffic, hotels that saw additional bookings, etc, etc.

I can't find an economic impact report, so it may not be "worth" the $1m to put it on, but is any parade "worth" it then?

Well, the Circus Parade is different than most parades.  You have to haul everything down from Baraboo for a few days, march, and haul it all back.  Most parades are put on by a chamber of commerce and have a few entrants that fund themselves so outside of the costs to close off the streets and clean up, there isn't much. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 11:50:50 AM »
This is the worst thread of all time.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »
I'm still pissed that the ringling bros sold out to that asshat barnum and douchebag bailey and changed their name.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
This is the worst thread of all time.

I agree. I am embarrassed for having participated.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »

Most parades are put on by a chamber of commerce and have a few entrants that fund themselves so outside of the costs to close off the streets and clean up, there isn't much. 

I am involved with our local foundation that puts on our parade.  I was surprised to find how many of the participants are paid to march.  Example .. our 18 year old neighbor is a "stilt walker" .. paid $75 to march in the parade. 

Not everyone is paid, but a good chunk of the outside groups are indeed paid to appear.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
I am involved with our local foundation that puts on our parade.  I was surprised to find how many of the participants are paid to march.  Example .. our 18 year old neighbor is a "stilt walker" .. paid $75 to march in the parade. 

Not everyone is paid, but a good chunk of the outside groups are indeed paid to appear.

I guess I should then just shut up right now.  :D

augoman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 10:54:22 PM »
FWIT:
the parade used to be funded mainly by strong funds (Donna Strong rode an elephant one year), Spitzer took care of that..., this year it was funded by a bank, Obama took care of that.  Next year- no parade.  It was the third largest parade in the country this year behind Macy's, and the Rose parades.  It was televised to half of the country.  It was a very good thing for Milwaukee, but, I agree- it was a little boring after the first 15 minutes.

feedback