[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Making a Cornhole Set  (Read 13735 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Making a Cornhole Set
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
 I've just finished the frame of both cornhole boards and now have to put the legs on.  Anyone know if the boards have to be set at a certain angle? 45 degrees?  And finally should I use glossy paint and where can I find MU decals to put on the boards?

There's got to be a couple cornhole aficionados on this board. 

GGGG

• All American
Re: Making a Cornhole Set
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

Try...not...to...laugh...  Try...not...to...laugh....

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Ahhhh.....

Sorry.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »
little play on words. 

But lets try to keep this a non-gayish thread.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
http://www.playcornhole.org/rules.shtml

Edit:  With regards to finishing your platforms:

You want to sand the platforms down so that there aren't any blemishes.  From there you'll want to put on a few layers of a high-gloss latex paint.  You'll have to look around to see if you can find a high-gloss latex clear-coat that will work so that you can cover any decorations so that you end up with a smooth playing surface.  Something like this would probably work well as a top coat (or two) over any decorations.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 12:04:36 PM by Skatastrophy »

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:57:13 AM »
MU stickers can be found at the spirit shop.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »
I've just finished the frame of both cornhole boards and now have to put the legs on.  Anyone know if the boards have to be set at a certain angle? 45 degrees?  And finally should I use glossy paint and where can I find MU decals to put on the boards?

Skip the decals. The monogram 'M' and 'U' are very easy to paint yourself and will look 100x better. Just get a decent sized monogram and scale off the line dimensions.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »
Thanks fellas.

Yeah, I'll probably paint my own MU logo I just don't want it to look tacky. 

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »
Definitely check out http://www.playcornhole.org

All I need are the decals!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
Now to the toss bags, which are four to each team.  Use dried corn kernels for the inside.  One set can have the MU logo sewn on and the other pick like ND or Depaul. Or, you can have one blue set of bags and one gold set with MU on them.  

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
never liked that people called this game cornhole.

always called it 'bags' or 'bean bags'

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »

Did you make those boards yourself?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »

Where did you get the bags?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
Skip the decals. The monogram 'M' and 'U' are very easy to paint yourself and will look 100x better. Just get a decent sized monogram and scale off the line dimensions.

PTM has an amazing hand painted set.  Put up a picture for all to see!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
PTM has an amazing hand painted set.  Put up a picture for all to see!

I don't think I actually have a picture.

One thing, don't skimp on the bags. Homemade ones rarely hold up.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
best boards and bags here: http://www.derricksmash.com/

But I like to throw handfuls...

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
Also DO NOT use glossy paint.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »
Did you make those boards yourself?

It was a Father's Day gift from my wife and kids.  Brother-in-law made the boards.  He did a great job, legs fold in real nice.  Wife got the bags on eBay.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 12:44:32 PM »
Also DO NOT use glossy paint.

You're doing it wrong.

The official cornhole rules state under section A "Equipment Standards:"

7. The Cornhole / Corn Toss play surface shall be painted with a high gloss latex paint resulting in a surface that allows corn bags to slide but is not so slippery that it allows the bags to slide back down the platform. The preferable color is white, but any easy to see color is acceptable for tournament play.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 05:02:46 PM »
Sweet board Hans.

Mine will probably be a similar color combo and add the MU in the lower half.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
First off, it's not called cornhole... it's called bean bags... or short way it's called bags.  We're not from Ohio.  And if you are, I apologize. 

They're looking good.  If anyone finds themselves on the s-side of Chicago, make your way to Double Play, in B.I.  They have hands down, the best bags and boards that you can find in the area.  You can purchase both at this bar.  And if you'd like to play, let  me know!   

It's good to see this phenomenon spread througout the country.  We played at my 7th birthday party in '85 but I'm sure it was around before then. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:38 AM »
First off, it's not called cornhole... it's called bean bags... or short way it's called bags. 

Second, who cares what someone calls it. We all know what people are talking about when they mention either name. 

You call it a bubbler, I call it a drinking fountain. Does it matter? ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »
Second, who cares what someone calls it. We all know what people are talking about when they mention either name.  

You call it a bubbler, I call it a drinking fountain. Does it matter? ;)

Some people put a lot of stock in names. Others do not. When it comes to the Cornhole game there are a lot of die-hard fans who will not have it called anything else. The same is true with the bean bag game. However, there are a lot of people who insist that the Cornhole game and the bean bag game are actually the same thing – or at least so closely related that there is no point in arguing about it. The main difference for people who admit that there is one seems to be based on the fact that the standard Cornhole board is two feet by four feet and the standard bean bag board is two feet by three feet. They argue that this makes them different games. Some people point out, though, that a lot of Cornhole players actually use the smaller board because it is much more portable. By using the two foot by three foot board a Cornhole player can take the game on the road to a party or get-together. It will easily fit in the back of a pickup truck and it will also fit in the trunk of a larger car, or a car in which the back seats fold down. Since this is the case it is becoming much more popular with players of the Cornhole game.

Those who play the bean bag game still use the smaller boards as well, because they are considered to be the right size for that particular game. The bags for both of the games appear to be the same with the possible exception of the stuffing. The Cornhole bags were originally stuffed with dried corn and the bean bag toss bags were originally stuffed with dried beans. This is where the two games got their names. Now with advances in technology most of the bags are stuffed with plastic pellets, and this holds true for both games. This is done mostly because there are a lot of opportunities for dried corn and dried beans to biodegrade, but this does not happen to plastic pellets. Beans and corn can break down if they get wet and this is not good for the game or good for the players. These kinds of problems are why the players of these games try to use the plastic filler material now.  Although, I don't like plastic filler at all!  Stick with the beans or dried corn!

Another difference between the two games comes from the argument about where they were started. Some say that the game was started in Cleveland, Ohio, regardless of its name. Others say that it was started in Chicago, Illinois. There is also another school of thought that states that the Cornhole game began in Ohio and the bean bag game began in Illinois. Of course, some people do not agree. There have even been people who have said that the origin of the game comes from as far away as Germany. While this seems unlikely there appears to be no end to the arguments – both friendly and not so friendly – about the perceived differences between the bean bag toss and the Cornhole game.  My experience has been that because Cornhole's boxes are a foot longer, it's way too easy to score points.  I'd bet heavily on a skilled Bean Bag player vs. a skilled Cornhole player anyday!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:01:48 AM by TomW1365 »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »

. This is done mostly because there are a lot of opportunities for dried corn and dried beans to biodegrade, but this does not happen to plastic pellets. Beans and corn can break down if they get wet and this is not good for the game or good for the players.

Or get chewed up by mice during winter storage......but corn is the way to go. 
Ludum habemus.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »
Or get chewed up by mice during winter storage......but corn is the way to go. 

Good call on that... I left my bags outside overnight after a party to find them chewed up by squirrels the next morning!  I usually keep the bags in a plastic storage box to keep out moisture and varmits!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
Some people ...

I cut your post to save space in the thread.  I had no idea regarding the difference in board length.  I retract my comment.

The game itself is new to me as I had never even seen anyone playing until 2004, but I recognize it existed for many years before that.

Another question...

Better throwing style: underhand or frisbee?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »
I cut your post to save space in the thread.  I had no idea regarding the difference in board length.  I retract my comment.

The game itself is new to me as I had never even seen anyone playing until 2004, but I recognize it existed for many years before that.

Another question...

Better throwing style: underhand or frisbee?

The ideal throw is combining both underhand toss with a flip of the wrist to give the bag a frisbee like rotation.  This will land it flat on the board, keep it on the board (w/o sliding off), and hopefully give it enough action to slide into the hole.  Just won $300 over the weekend at a small tournament... all the top players use this throwing style.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
If anyone is looking for decals or custom made cornhole boards and logos, my girlfriend bought me a set of Marquette boards and decals from this website.

https://tailgatesportsgames.com/

Decals of pretty much any team and color scheme to match.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
If anyone is looking for decals or custom made cornhole boards and logos, my girlfriend bought me a set of Marquette boards and decals from this website.

https://tailgatesportsgames.com/

Decals of pretty much any team and color scheme to match.

The thing that sucks about that is the logo is a decal and not painted. The guy I linked earlier will paint any college logo on it. Also, if you are in the Chicago area you can pick it up rather than ship it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
my brother's boards have 2 pvc pipes screwed onto the legs as beer holders. 

feedback