[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: PETA Complaint  (Read 2767 times)

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
PETA Complaint
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:58:47 AM »
Wasn't this already a news story a few months ago?

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/49503807.html

PETA Complaint Against Marquette Univ.
By The WTMJ News Team
MILWAUKEE - PETA is taking aim at Marquette University.

The group filed a complaint against the school for allegedly doing illegal experiments on animals.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals claims students are euthanizing animals by striking their heads with hammers.

A student contacted PETA. There is no comment yet from Marquette about the complaint.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: PETA Complaint
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
ask talltitan how his melon felt after being locked in a room with PRN and 4never.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=13258

Milwaukee -- Today, PETA sent two urgent letters, one to Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm and one to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, calling for immediate investigations of Marquette University's (M.U.) physiology laboratories. The group also asked that the investigations be followed by any appropriate penalties, fines, and charges. PETA's complaints follow reports from an M.U. student that people in the laboratories are "euthanizing" turtles by striking them on the head with hammers, which would potentially be in violation of Wisconsin's cruelty-to-animals law. Because non-animal alternatives are available for deadly experiments conducted on turtles, rabbits, frogs, and rats in the laboratories, the group alleges that MU is in violation of federal law.

According to the student who contacted PETA, one turtle who had received a hammer blow to the head, apparently coughed up blood and tried to walk, which suggested that anesthesia had not been properly administered. According to American Veterinary Medical Association guidelines, blows to the head are considered an "unacceptable" form of euthanasia. After the turtles are struck on the head with hammers, students saw holes into their shells to expose their beating hearts.

"Marquette's physiology laboratories are outdated and cruel--and probably in violation of state and federal animal protection laws," says PETA Vice President Kathy Guillermo. "Marquette is needlessly robbing students of a first-rate education and animals of their lives."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »
Are these folks still pissed at President Obama for killing that fly the other day on television?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
The turtles were delicious

This whole thing started in like March? I dont totally remember, but I think it was snowy

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
The turtles were delicious

This whole thing started in like March? I dont totally remember, but I think it was snowy

Yep, back in January.  Good memory :)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/37482399.html

An animal rights group has filed a complaint against Marquette University because of a physiology class where small turtles are anesthetized and killed with a hammer blow to the head.

The complaint from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals urges the university to replace animals used in Biology 171 with non-animal methods in use at other universities.

The organization posted an action alert Monday on its Web site asking people to contact Vice Provost for Undergraduate Programs and Teaching Margaret Bloom and demand the university change its practices.

At issue is an experimental physiology course taught by Marquette University biology Professor Edward Blumenthal. According to a lab worksheet obtained by PETA, "(a) red-eared slider turtle (Trachemys scripta) is anesthetized and then killed by a hard hammer blow to the head, followed by pithing of the brain. The connections between the carapace and plastron are cut with a saw."

Officials from PETA say they found out about the biology class from a student whistleblower who felt concerned about the treatment of the turtles.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=13258

Where I come from, hitting somebody in the head with a hammer is called a donkey punch.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:09 PM »
Where I come from, hitting somebody in the head with a hammer is called a donkey punch.

... I don't think I want to know where you come from that you have a hammer handy during sex.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
... I don't think I want to know where you come from that you have a hammer handy during sex.

That's what tool belts are for.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »
now THAT'S funny!!