[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU receives $3.33m in pork..  (Read 11968 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
MU receives $3.33m in pork..
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »
According to the JS today, the Legislature has passed a budget that's headed to Gov. Doyle.

Noticed this:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/49163297.html

As an additional incentive for some Democrats to vote for the budget, about $9.6 million in regional favors were approved. ...

Those earmarks range from $3.33 million for Marquette University's new engineering school to ...

So MU is receiving $3.33m in "regional favors" a.k.a. pork.

Anyone have a problem with that? 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU receives $3.33m in pork..
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »
And let's try to keep the conversation centered around .. Marquette.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 12:55:43 PM »
This is offensive to all pigs. I don't think MU should accept the pork unless they restore the Warriors nickname.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
And let's try to keep the conversation centered around .. Marquette.

I think that Marquette should refuse the money.

I'll leave my political beliefs supporting that statement out of this thread.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »
I'm surprised they asked and more surprised in this fiscal era it was approved.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:38:51 PM »
According to the JS today, the Legislature has passed a budget that's headed to Gov. Doyle.

Noticed this:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/49163297.html

As an additional incentive for some Democrats to vote for the budget, about $9.6 million in regional favors were approved. ...

Those earmarks range from $3.33 million for Marquette University's new engineering school to ...

So MU is receiving $3.33m in "regional favors" a.k.a. pork.

Anyone have a problem with that? 

There's no such thing as a free lunch, this all has to be paid for (in spades) down the road. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »
I've paid pretty close attention to the budget process .. what's odd is that they've had "earmark" lists before .. this earmark for MU is the first I've heard of it.  Wasn't on the "list" as of 7-10 days ago.

In the end, I just don't see how the state gives money to MU for an engineering building. -- They also get $ for the Dentistry program, but that I understand.   It's the only one in the state, plus it offers dental work for the poor, something the State would be interested in.

But an engineering building?  Does not compute. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
It's real easy for us to say "DON'T ACCEPT IT!!!" but they are being offered money to help them with a key University priority.  They'd be dumb not to take it unless it has some strings attached. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
will probably be used to attract new more freshman females of the swine variety. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 07:41:49 AM »
I think that Marquette should refuse the money.

I'll leave my political beliefs supporting that statement out of this thread.

+1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
Turning down the money isn't going to solve the problem.  It is likely that they actually lobbied for the money.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:57:53 AM »
The area businesses need quality engineers and therefore probably lobbied to spend THEIR tax money on aiding Marquette build the new engineering building.  Similar to the funding the dental school received from the state.  Nuff said.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
My worry is that the atheists will use any taxpayer earmarks allocated to the Engineering building to prevent Mass from being celebrated there, just as they've bleached the Dentistry building of any Catholic identity.

Good job, political party not to be named.

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
You think?

Turning down the money isn't going to solve the problem.  It is likely that they actually lobbied for the money.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:28:55 PM by Silky »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
Well, the tone that people were using suggested that Marquette would be somehow surprised by this earmark.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
The area businesses need quality engineers and therefore probably lobbied to spend THEIR tax money on aiding Marquette build the new engineering building.  Similar to the funding the dental school received from the state.  Nuff said.

Agreed.

Especially with the renovation of I94 between Milwaukee and Chicago in the works, engineers will be at a need for the area (a friend of mine is working on a project for a portion of that renovation around Racine as we speak, going through DOT and designing new on ramps, etc.).

Perhaps I am thinking Naively about it, that it wasn't just some old alumni that were like, "hell, lets get some over to out alma Mata."

But Milwaukee is in need of a face lift.  Particularly with the old Breweries and industries that sit vacant.  An increase in engineers with a mind on Milwaukee and it's inhabitants wouldn't be a bad thing to invigorate some life into those areas, whether it's environmental needs with proper stormwater runoffs or mechanical and a need to figure out electrical needs and Sewage needs.  And perhaps the state figures to invest with MU since we are sitting at the heart of what needs to be helped.     

But that could just be an idealistic thinking why the money is going to MU instead of people in severe need of relief.
Marquette University, Spring '08

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
Fair point that some are asking why MU would get this.  If people think state governments are in the business of giving out millions of dollars to private institutions on their own without anyone asking for it, they have no business in this debate. Marquette is always asking for money.  Often they get turned down for obvious reasons. 

Well, the tone that people were using suggested that Marquette would be somehow surprised by this earmark.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 03:01:40 PM »
Agreed.

Especially with the renovation of I94 between Milwaukee and Chicago in the works, engineers will be at a need for the area (a friend of mine is working on a project for a portion of that renovation around Racine as we speak, going through DOT and designing new on ramps, etc.).

Perhaps I am thinking Naively about it, that it wasn't just some old alumni that were like, "hell, lets get some over to out alma Mata."

But Milwaukee is in need of a face lift.  Particularly with the old Breweries and industries that sit vacant.  An increase in engineers with a mind on Milwaukee and it's inhabitants wouldn't be a bad thing to invigorate some life into those areas, whether it's environmental needs with proper stormwater runoffs or mechanical and a need to figure out electrical needs and Sewage needs.  And perhaps the state figures to invest with MU since we are sitting at the heart of what needs to be helped.     

But that could just be an idealistic thinking why the money is going to MU instead of people in severe need of relief.

Milwaukee has three universities/colleges that offer engineering degrees.  This new building IMO is not going to add much to the pool of engineers that don't already exist in the city.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 03:02:59 PM »
Cosign +1000.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »

Milwaukee has three universities/colleges that offer engineering degrees.  This new building IMO is not going to add much to the pool of engineers that don't already exist in the city.

That's a good point, also, how long before these great new facilities really impact the engineering community in Milwaukee?

Let's say you build an AWESOME building (in the next 5 years) and MU is able to attract some more top engineering students.

Those students will take 4-5 years to graduate, and probably 2-3 years of experience before they really make a significant impact on civil projects around the city. (I'm assuming entry level engineering jobs is not where people make a big impact)

Now, I'm not saying MU shouldn't do it, or that it's a bad plan. I just think the impact might be more of a 10-20 year plan, not a 5-10 year plan.

This new building will probably not produce many (if any) people that will have any significant impact on any of the current civil engineering or redevelopment projects (roadways, Pabst redevelopment, etc.)

However, if you are looking at 15-20 years down the road, I think you could make that argument. Maybe these new engineering minds will solve mass transit problems in 2025. Who knows?

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »

Now, I'm not saying MU shouldn't do it, or that it's a bad plan. I just think the impact might be more of a 10-20 year plan, not a 5-10 year plan.

This new building will probably not produce many (if any) people that will have any significant impact on any of the current civil engineering or redevelopment projects (roadways, Pabst redevelopment, etc.)

However, if you are looking at 15-20 years down the road, I think you could make that argument. Maybe these new engineering minds will solve mass transit problems in 2025. Who knows?

I agree that it won't be a significant help to the city within 10 years, maybe even 15 years.  If you are considering only that far down the road than you are flawed.

What I was refering to were immediate developments as an example of Milwuakee redefining itself as a city to come to for large scale business.  The old idea of Milwaukee does not fit into the modern social construct (although I wish it did-the hedonism of beer, food and fun only goes so far).

But within the new developments are oppurtunities for students to become associated with Milwaukee, become members of high end projects at entry level positions and witness what it takes in the profession.  Too often young engineers do their externships out of Milwaukee and then sign on after that, out of Milwaukee.

Also, I just think it's a good thing for the school in any regards.  Why not use it to develop a new quickline train (one of those in Japan and Germany) from Mil to Chi with a rail system throughout the city.  Something completely plausible to think about in the upcoming years.  Which would be a great asset to Milwaukee as a City and Wisconsin as  State. 

I just feel that alot of MU assets as students are too hasty to head back to Chicago after graduation-or some other destination.  Why not infuse the school with a few extra dollars as a state/city to iniciate plans, ideas for the students to STAY within Milwaukee and the surrounding area.  That would be an asset to any city.

But then again it is only 3.3 mil over two years with a bonus of another 1.66 in a third year.  What can actually be accomplished with that nowaday's anyway. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »
I think its cute and all that you think that the State legislature put this much thought into the infrastructure needs of the Milwaukee area and have decided to support MU's engineering building as a logical result.  Afterall, Wisconsin's state legislature has a long tradition of sound, far-sighted decision making.

However, MU lobbied for this, using multiple political connections, because it was an easy way to get some money that they would otherwise have to fundraise, finance, or charge to incoming students.  Period.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »

Milwaukee has three universities/colleges that offer engineering degrees.  This new building IMO is not going to add much to the pool of engineers that don't already exist in the city.

Two California buddies went to Marquette just for their engineering program.

Neither of them applied to MSOE or UWM. So improving the Engineering Department helps recruiting, retention, and establishing/maintaining future engineering connections (political, educational, and business).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:24:37 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
I think its cute and all that you think that the State legislature put this much thought into the infrastructure needs of the Milwaukee area and have decided to support MU's engineering building as a logical result.  Afterall, Wisconsin's state legislature has a long tradition of sound, far-sighted decision making.

However, MU lobbied for this, using multiple political connections, because it was an easy way to get some money that they would otherwise have to fundraise, finance, or charge to incoming students.  Period.

:)  I need the optimism to survive.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »

What I was refering to were immediate developments as an example of Milwuakee redefining itself as a city to come to for large scale business.  The old idea of Milwaukee does not fit into the modern social construct (although I wish it did-the hedonism of beer, food and fun only goes so far).

But that's an entirely different argument.  If Wisconsin, California, New York and other states that are hemoraghing businesses right now want to lure more businesses, they need to create an environment that incentivizes them to do so.  It's great that MU gets this money, though the piper will have to be paid by the taxpayers at some point....nothing is free in life.  I just don't see businesses flocking to Milwaukee or Wisconsin for that matter until the environment to do so improves.  Businesses flock to business friendly states and leave states that are not business friendly.  Wisconsin finished in the bottom half for the Small Business friendly states study as well as the overall Business Friendly study down by the Tax Foundation. 

If Wisconsin wants to lure businesses, more engineers, etc, they might want to improve the business climate.  Lord knows we're seeing mass exodus here in California where we now rank 47th in one survey and 40th in the other.  Jobs walking away like crazy.  Very sad.