[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ok, I shouldn't do this, but II II recruiting...  (Read 1450 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Ok, I shouldn't do this, but II II recruiting...
« on: June 25, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
I didn't know things were going bad in bloomington until I read Haywards post in the 'Al. 

Then I went and read this thread on peegs.com.  II II fans are starting to understand what baffled us...

http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=129410384&sid=942&tid=129410384&style=2&Override=1

I seem to be having the same problems as many on this board in getting
a handle on CTC's recruiting strategy.
I was under the impression that Crean's game was up tempo with a lot
of dribble/drive, and he liked long athletic players with good court
vision as opposed to height, post and half court skills.
Obviously all of those skills are desirable but most teams have to
lean one way or the other, and I was thinking we would look more like
a Big East team than a Bob Knight team.
I can't defend these thoughts, but I am wondering if anyone has
an idea of what type of game Crean is recruiting these guys to play.

I have seen Austin play several times since he was a youngster and I have to say that I am shocked by this. He is a great kid but I don't think he is a high major player. Also, he has had something like 5 knee surgeries already at the age of 16.

And then there are those trying to make the situation "good".  Yeah - we need roll players on the team.  I'm sure that's it. 

I think it's a matter of....having to have role players on the squad. You'll likely not have good team chemistry if all your players expect starter minutes. Good teams have a combination of five star "athletes" and 3 star role players. Not saying that AE and DW fall into that category, but it kind of looks that way. Perhaps they will prove me wrong.

So far - I much prefer the way Buzz recruits.  Sure - not everybody will pan out to be a great NCAA player - but at least the guys he gets are highly regarded - or downright "steals" that he grabs before others get a chance to offer (DJO).  Roseboro might be our only "head scratcher", but even he blew up when playing against higher level competition.  Hopefully he can do that at the big east level now...

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Ok, I shouldn't do this, but II II recruiting...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:56 AM »
to be honest, I think Crean is loading on big guys for one of two reasons:

1. people said he can't recruit/develop bigs and his ego got the best of him.

2. He understands that he is in the Big TEN and not the Big EAST.  He realizes that a different style of basketball is played and he is recruiting for size for match up reasons.  Having 8 smaller guys running around all year getting beaten up in the Big Ten probably isn't the best idea, so he went big.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Ok, I shouldn't do this, but II II recruiting...
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
What on earth makes that guy think that Crean likes "long athletic players?"  Honestly, I can't think of one guy he had at MU that was overly "long" and "athletic."

And "up tempo with a lot of dribble drive?"  Is this guy mixing up TC with John Calipari???