[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: US to Confederation Cup Semi's?  (Read 9875 times)

pillardean

• Team Captain
US to Confederation Cup Semi's?
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »
I cannot believe it!

U.S 3-0 over Egypt.

Brazil 3-0 over Italy.

I'm dieing!  Hurry up last ten minutes and stoppage time--for both games!
Marquette University, Spring '08

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: US to Confederation Cup Semi's?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »
Talk about a perfect storm!  Glad they advanced, but, where was this effort the last two games?  the Spain game should be fantastic on Wednesday.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
Viva America! ;)
SS Marquette

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
It was great to get a W against Egypt.  Regardless of the scoreline...Bradley has to go.  The team is not behind him any longer.

Assuming they get shalacked by Spain (and that's not much of an assumption)...change made within a month.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:49:36 AM »
Bradley made one good call today- no Beasley

fun to watch the USA play a game like they meant it. last two games were a nightmare.
They barely showed up

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »
I cannot believe it!

U.S 3-0 over Egypt.

Brazil 3-0 over Italy.

I'm dieing!  Hurry up last ten minutes and stoppage time--for both games!

I had almost this same post typed out and waiting and waited to post it for fear I would jinx them.  Especially when I started to hit enter and Egypt just missed an open header just over the bar. 

The matchup vs Spain is very tough, but great to get another matchup in against a quailty WC team.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
It was great to get a W against Egypt.  Regardless of the scoreline...Bradley has to go.  The team is not behind him any longer.

Assuming they get shalacked by Spain (and that's not much of an assumption)...change made within a month.

I agree all the way around. Fantastic win. Bradley should still go.

That team was far too tight against Italy and Brasil. Tense. Playing down a man exaggerated it. There was a looseness against Egypt, who was missing their talisman in Zidan and then lost a key piece with Fathi being injured during the match, that only comes when a burden is lifted.

As for Bradley, the Spain result means nothing. He was never going to be fired in the first place. And he certainly won't be fired now that they've advanced, however much a miracle it is. Gulati and the USSF are spineless. They give you a 4-year deal and short of sleeping with one of their wives you won't be fired.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:51 AM »
couldn't believe how brilliant Brazil was v.Italy. the Italians started out well but were just outplayed across the pitch. Italy had some great opportunities but could not close.
It was an exciting game to watch. The announcers were very complimentary to the US results as that game was unfolding. I don't think anybody could match the Brazilian energy and effort yesterday. Hurry up World Cup!

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
Everyone called me crazy, but predicted this before the game started. Basically, after the 2005 Champion's League final, I believe anything is possible.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Everyone called me crazy, but predicted this before the game started. Basically, after the 2005 Champion's League final, I believe anything is possible.

Points to you. Bonus points for the Istanbul reference.  :)

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:18 PM »
Points to you. Bonus points for the Istanbul reference.  :)

+1

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
US leading Spain 1-0 at the half!!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
USA wins 2-0!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
ole, ole, ole, ole, US, US!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Amazing!
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
i for one did not see that coming.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:27 PM »

No one did, and if they said they did they're lying.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 03:42:51 PM »
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!?!  :o :o :o

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »

I am guessing Spain didn't either.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
USA wins 2-0!

Can someone metaphorically say what the equivilant of this upset would be for a college basketball game?  I really enjoying watching world soccer, but just can't grasp how much of an upset this is.

Thanks!

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »
their world rankings are 1 and 14. this would be like the 1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney getting knocked out in the second round.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »
It's not only the 1v14 match up. 

It's also beating # 1 after playing so dismally in their first two matches.  They showed no heart or spirit in losing to Italy 3-1 and Brazil 3-0. In fact, they looked liked they hadn't even shown up. 

Then these two huge wins!  It's too bad that M. Bradley will not be able to play Sunday due to getting sent off today.  Benny Feilhaber?

Should be an interesting match whether we get Brazil again or RSA.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
they have also sucked it up in world cup qualifiers showing no heart in many of the games over the past few months.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
No one did, and if they said they did they're lying.

The color commentator, I do not know his name sorry, predicted 1-0 USA before the start of the match.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 05:43:44 PM »
That was John Harkes, former player.

You are right, but, I'd feel better about it if he had said it publicly pre-game. 

I think you'd be hard put to read any story anywhere that predicted a US win.  Glad they did, tho.  Although, it will probably have the effect of the coach retaining his job.  Not sure he shouldn't be replaced.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
He should be based on the performances he's gotten out of the squad recently but win or lose the game against Spain, he wasn't going to lose his position.  I personally will like to see the lineup he puts out there now that his son is disqualified for the final after picking up that weak red card. I really don't think Michael Bradley should be getting minutes of Benny Fielhaber in the first place.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
So who is everyone cheering for today: Brazil or South Africa?

I for one want to see another game against Brazil, both because we lost handily and because it will likely be better preparation moving forward.  But an argument can be made for playing S. Africa on their turf as well.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »
A loss against Brazil in a game where we play well will be better preparation than any result agasint the host team.  And a win against Brazil would be even better.

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »
An amazing win for the US! I'm still in shock, definitely one of the more memorable US games ever.

I'm still not sure if Bradley deserves to be coach. At least he finally came to his senses and used Demerit in the center and Bocanegra on the left. That is the backline I want to see in 2010. So far in this tournament Spector and Demerit have made the biggest impressions on me. They deserve to be out there.

While I would like to play S. Africa in the final and have a great chance of winning the whole thing, a final against Brazil would be much more meaningful in terms of preparation and the chance to knock off another big name.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
Amazing game!
Demerit and Spector plus Odunwalye gave the defense a great effort. Dempsey moving up seems to give  the scoring chances they need. I like the creativity felhaber brings to the game when he is in. He created a chance on the second goal with his confident moves.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »
He should be based on the performances he's gotten out of the squad recently but win or lose the game against Spain, he wasn't going to lose his position.  I personally will like to see the lineup he puts out there now that his son is disqualified for the final after picking up that weak red card. I really don't think Michael Bradley should be getting minutes of Benny Fielhaber in the first place.

I really don't have a problem with Bradley out there, he's solid and young.  He gets a little too carried away on some challenges and overruns when he marks up.  But in the middle on the offensive end you can see that players look for him in space to settle the ball and start an attack.  

I for one am not sold on Ricardo Clark, he was not impressive in the game against Spain.  Dempsey plays lazily in the middle, IMO, with lazy balls and a lack of creativity he is capable of when up front.

But I agree Fielhaber should be on the field more than in the past few games.  Incredible poise on that second goal, great ball to Landon (which I thought he should have put on goal, but it worked out with Dempsey getting to a dangerous spot on the pitch and capitalizing on a mistake).  

I would love to see the U.S. take on Brazil again.  Much better matchup for a final to see where we really are heading into 2010.  Either way, the last two games shows what the U.S. is capable of.  Oh, one last thing, Howard, DeMerit and Onyewu were spectacular in the back against Spain.  We need that to win matches against elite competition with superior technique and ability.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:11:45 PM by pillardean »

leftcoast warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
This is definitely a good win for the US...maybe not deservedly so but none the less a good result.  Showed that the team is willing to put the work in to get a result which is encouraging especially after the first two games.  I really liked our back line that game and although we basically defended from about 25 yards out from our goal, the strategy of forcing them wide only to cross it into the box where we have two big center backs that are strong in the air was good. 

This win is not proof that the US is a world power...actually far from it...I'm also still not sold on B. Bradley and would actually like to see Klinsmann in there running the team.  Bradley was one game away from being canned and now because of some miracle that happened, people are suddenly praising him.  Offensively we have a long way to go but with the continued improvement offensively of Altidore (only 19) and Felhaber...i'm optimistic.   

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 04:25:29 PM »
U.S. vs. Brasil

I'm very excited.

Impressive game from RSA though.  Didn't expect that.
It'll be interesting which team shows up for the U.S.  I would think they would come out with energy and pace like against Spain and Egypt. 

Anybody going anywhere to watch the game in the Milwaukee are?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:13 PM »
Was hoping the game would go to extra time for our sake.  Should be a very interesting match on Sunday. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:02 PM »
Anybody going anywhere to watch the game in the Milwaukee are?

Yep.  We're throwing a bash at the Sin Bin (a Rugby bar on 38th and National) to watch the both the US v Brazil game and the Brewers game since they both start at 1pm Sunday.  It should be a great time :)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
I'll be at The Highbury in Bay View. Should be a great crowd!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Hey Skat, I'm looking forward to being at the Bin.  I'm a friend of Crispy's flying in from the East Coast.  Should be there bright and early for the No Ticket Tailgate!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
In high school I played against Eric Wynalda and Cobi Jones on the pitch.  It was great.  We were very good, made it to CIF final four my junior year at St. Bonaventure.  My senior we were ranked top 10 in the state taking on Wynalda's team in Westlake High School.  We were ROUTED 7-1.  Incredible how good Wynalda was.  He went on to play in the World Cup and had a decent career.  Cobi Jones was a Sophomore on that team....can you imagine a high school team with TWO World cup players on it....wow were they good.  Incredible talent.

In watching this year's team, strange personality to it.  After the first two games, I didn't think they would ever be at this point in a million years.  Good for them.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »
In high school I played against Eric Wynalda and Cobi Jones on the pitch. 

That is cool!  Did Cobi have the hair back then? 

I remember watching him as a kid and he was the most impersonated player when we would go and play at the fields.

I usually was Taffarel-not sure why, Friedel wasn't aweful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 10:55:35 PM »
That is cool!  Did Cobi have the hair back then? 

I remember watching him as a kid and he was the most impersonated player when we would go and play at the fields.

I usually was Taffarel-not sure why, Friedel wasn't aweful.

I honestly don't remember, Cobi wasn't even a top 3 player on that team (Wally Androski was on that team and a load as well with a few others).  I played left midfield and was pretty good (All-League 2nd team) and I had a helluva a time just trying get back on defense and help out.  We couldn't get anything going, it was brutal.  I've never been in a game where we were as good as we were and still got so totally outclassed.  It ruined our season quite frankly.  We were so shell shocked after that game that it tooks us several weeks to get out of the funk.  We went from a Final Four team my junior year to an also ran my senior year.  Major bummer.

It wasn't until a few years later we realized how damn good that Westlake team was as players were popping up on the national team all over the place.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 12:21:41 PM »
I honestly had not been following this series but after reading this thread I'm interested in watching the next game.  Looked it up and found out it's the championship game and on in 45 minutes (6/28 1pm CST) on ESPN/ESPNHD.  Just an FYI for anyone else who has had their curiosity piqued.

USA will be playing Brazil.  Spain edged South Africa 3:2 to claim 3rd place.

Looks like the official site for this is: http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/index.html
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2009, 02:02:05 PM »
What a start for the US!  Beautiful run by Donovan and Davies.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »
What a start for the US!  Beautiful run by Donovan and Davies.

What a terrible second half.  As soon as Brazil scored in the beginning of the 2nd half I knew the US would blow this game.  Frustrating.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
On a related note to the USMNT...

I watched the LA - Hou MLS match last night, due to my Streak for Cash pick, and it was the first time I had watched any MLS teams play.  Wow.  After watching a lot of the Confed cup recently the MLS looked like a pick up game.  Bad passes, sloppy play, and no real rhythm.  Is this typical for a MLS match?  And is one of the many reasons why Soccer's popularity struggles to grow in the US?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
On a related note to the USMNT...

I watched the LA - Hou MLS match last night, due to my Streak for Cash pick, and it was the first time I had watched any MLS teams play.  Wow.  After watching a lot of the Confed cup recently the MLS looked like a pick up game.  Bad passes, sloppy play, and no real rhythm.  Is this typical for a MLS match?  And is one of the many reasons why Soccer's popularity struggles to grow in the US?

The games are not that good.   Occasionally you'll have a decent game, but more often than not it will be like the one you saw.  That is one of the reason's why soccer hasn't become popular, football is the main reason though.  The marketability and the mentality of football suits most Americans better than the patience of a match (I do watch football as well).

Most of the better young talent go overseas to play.  If not, they should.  In order for them to work on their technical game and learn to be better, U.S. born players need to go over sees.  Which also shows why MLS isn't what it could be because all the in nation talent leaves and no high leveled players come in unless they want to retire and can't get a contract with the elite leagues of the world. 

feedback