collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MUScoop moderation angst thread  (Read 17195 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: MUScoop moderation angst thread
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35:59 AM »
I seem to remember a much tighter leash on comments regarding any speculation on why players who made mistakes were forced to leave the team in the past.  Patrick Hazel specifically comes to mind.  He was removed from the team and any speculation on why he left was pretty quickly removed from the board, and respecting that player's privacy was cited.  Is this NN case any different than that?  Shouldn't his privacy be the main concern and any speculation be removed from the board?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »
Maybe compromise?

Instead of labeling the thread "nick noslowiak" and keeping on on the main board, maybe label it something else and let people have a discussion about depression in the superbar?

The discussion itself seemed okay for the most-part (minus one rouge poster), but I also don't want to become the type of fanbase that dissects every player to the 1000th degree and puts it on the internet for everybody to see.

And for the record, I really like this site, and I appreciate the amount of work the mods do. With this said, I would be in favor of tighter moderation, (and I'll volunteer some of my time if the mods want it.)

I know that's not really how the site was intended, but there are certain topics and posters that could/should be moderated to create the best site. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
Maybe compromise?

Instead of labeling the thread "nick noslowiak" and keeping on on the main board, maybe label it something else and let people have a discussion about depression in the superbar?

The discussion itself seemed okay for the most-part (minus one rouge poster), but I also don't want to become the type of fanbase that dissects every player to the 1000th degree and puts it on the internet for everybody to see.

And for the record, I really like this site, and I appreciate the amount of work the mods do. With this said, I would be in favor of tighter moderation, (and I'll volunteer some of my time if the mods want it.)

I know that's not really how the site was intended, but there are certain topics and posters that could/should be moderated to create the best site.  

For what its worth, I see both sides to this argument. I am generally in favor of the mods hands-off approach, but I can see how the Noskowiak thread could be problematic, especially with a kid struggling with depression. Best wishes to Nick. And if BCHoopster hasn't edited his post yet to remove the false statements he made, I would recommend he do that immediately.

I also 2nd Ammo's candidacy as a mod, should the current moderators deem it necessary. He always seems to be a voice of reason, and has well-thought out responses.

I will say that I rarely, if ever, see posts by the other Mods (SoCal and Spiral, I believe their names are). Now, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't viewing what is going on here, but it seems they never respond to much, which I think is problematic if we are relying on them as moderators. Rocky and Topper do great jobs, and I appreciate their work immensely for the service that is provided to all of us free of charge. But I think a 3rd active moderator would probably be a good idea, given the growth of Scoop and how many people use this forum. And Ammo would be a great choice. My 2 cents.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 12:29:24 PM »
The mods do a good job. There's no reason to babysit anyone on the Internet.

I'm genuinely surprised how butthurt people get when others are having a discussion about public information. Really odd.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:49 PM »
Then you read it wrong. Look at his next post:

That is an unquestioned declarative statement, backing up the previous declarative statement.

All this is now is a bunch of Scoopers patting themselves on the back about how they are supporting Nick, which might have a point if he was here and active. But as he's not, it's just a bunch of middle aged men trying to fellate themselves about how maturely they are handling this. Until of course it gets off topic and they start talking about Frozen again.

"fellate themselves..."?  i'd like to give you a different perspective on your comment if i may.  many of us scoopers purposely decided to sit back and watch the situation unfold before we "fellated".  i would like to think we exercised restraint and waited to see what the real facts of the case were rather than speculate and add to the "train wreck that was starting to evolve. of course we had some hindsight, but as the facts of the situation came to light, the "patting on the back" was not a holier than thou moment, but rather, or in my case anyway, an attempt to show others a genuine heart felt and an empathetic side to our board.  that is what i believe how most of us fellators look at it anyway.    
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 01:29:52 PM »
For what its worth, I see both sides to this argument. I am generally in favor of the mods hands-off approach, but I can see how the Noskowiak thread could be problematic, especially with a kid struggling with depression. Best wishes to Nick. And if BCHoopster hasn't edited his post yet to remove the false statements he made, I would recommend he do that immediately.

I also 2nd Ammo's candidacy as a mod, should the current moderators deem it necessary. He always seems to be a voice of reason, and has well-thought out responses.

I will say that I rarely, if ever, see posts by the other Mods (SoCal and Spiral, I believe their names are). Now, that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't viewing what is going on here, but it seems they never respond to much, which I think is problematic if we are relying on them as moderators. Rocky and Topper do great jobs, and I appreciate their work immensely for the service that is provided to all of us free of charge. But I think a 3rd active moderator would probably be a good idea, given the growth of Scoop and how many people use this forum. And Ammo would be a great choice. My 2 cents.

In addition to Canned, I nominate Chico's and Lenny.   :o

Lets start a poll.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
Needing a 5th moderator notwithstanding .. the best moderator is the user .. firstly for not writing batcrap crazy stuff, second for using "report to moderator" so we can see what all the hubbub is about when it happens, get a feel for how egregious.

For the record, a grand total of one person hit that link for the thread in question.  (Yes, I understand there's others expressing angst right there inside the thread.)

Meanwhile we get 53 "reports" per Lenny/Chicos thread if that gives you some perspective.   8-)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 04:51:26 PM »
Thanks, Skatastrophy for reporting my posting.  Now I'll need to give myself a vacation.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
Thanks, Skatastrophy for reporting my posting.  Now I'll need to give myself a vacation.

Reporting the mods.  Never gets old.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »
Maybe compromise?

I thought the discussion was disgusting.

Of course, I am not including everyone with that statement. You and many others posted without being derogatory toward an 18 year old kid - but many comments were way over the line

By the THIRD post in the tread, terms like "train wreck" were being thrown around.

This is a teenager. How would any of the d'bags who made derogatory statements feel if grown strangers were publicly criticizing them when they were in HS?

And I would like to commend the many posters who came to NN's defense. None of us know anything about his life and to me, certain things should be out of bounds to speculate on.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »

You do probably *deserve* a vacation! 

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »
By the THIRD post in the tread, terms like "train wreck" were being thrown around.

This is a teenager. How would any of the d'bags who made derogatory statements feel if grown strangers were publicly criticizing them when they were in HS?

Just to be clear, that d'bag (thebadge10) is a well-known Badger fan and Marquette hater.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
You do probably *deserve* a vacation! 

He's been a very naughty boy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
Just to be clear, that d'bag (thebadge10) is a well-known Badger fan and Marquette hater.

But that post still shows up on a Marquette website and reflects on the Marquette community. And while posts calling for moderation were deleted, that post calling Nick a train wreck was not.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2015, 07:01:32 PM »

Would you me to demote Skata?  Or should he just pay double for his subscription next year?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 10:24:34 PM »
What a bunch of self important, egotistical a-holes you whiners are. Get over yourselves. Nobody outside of the regulars on this board give a rats ass what any of you think. The feigned outrage is ridiculous. The verbal "sword fights" by you intellectuals on the other hand is hilarious.  ;D
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 10:32:44 PM »

Would you me to demote Skata?  Or should he just pay double for his subscription next year?

The clan will take care of it, bust 'em down to member.

Skats a chick, aina?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2015, 11:34:27 PM »
I happen to side with rocky on this but I respect those who feel some of the comments were over the top. I'm no legal expert, so I don't know if they were libelous or slanderous or any other legalize "ous."

I will say that I don't view any of this as embarrassing to Marquette or "the Marquette community."

It's a fan board filled with anonymous posters. We don't "represent" anything, certainly not our former university.

If we actually are seen as representatives of some kind, we've embarrassed "the Marquette community" many, many times before Nick or any of this year's other recruits ever signed their national letters of intent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
We have, and it's been noticed by recruits, recruits' parents, and others whose familiarity with the fanbase begins and sometimes ends online.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
What a bunch of self important, egotistical a-holes you whiners are. Get over yourselves. Nobody outside of the regulars on this board give a rats ass what any of you think. The feigned outrage is ridiculous. The verbal "sword fights" by you intellectuals on the other hand is hilarious.  ;D

We just found our 5th moderator!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
We have, and it's been noticed by recruits, recruits' parents, and others whose familiarity with the fanbase begins and sometimes ends online.

You know I respect you, brew, but whether or not we have "embarrassed" Marquette is a matter of opinion, not fact. It is my opinion that we haven't because we are not in the least bit representative of Marquette. It is your opinion that we have. We will have to agree to disagree on this, but please don't present it as fact.

About 99.9% of the time, I lean toward freedom of speech and expression. And I see no reason why this is that rare .1% to side against it. Again, just my opinion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
We just found our 5th moderator!
I hereby state, and mean all that I say, that I never have been and never will be a candidate for moderator, that if nominated, I should peremptorily decline, and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve."
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:29 AM »
I hereby state, and mean all that I say, that I never have been and never will be a candidate for moderator, that if nominated, I should peremptorily decline, and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve."

You forgot to say the legally binding phrase, which is "not it".  Thus, you are "it". 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
...and even if unanimously elected I should decline to serve."

Which would make you indistinguishable from the other moderators.

I kid.  I kid.  Thanks for all you do, guys.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2015, 11:34:51 AM »
The less moderation, the better.

I hate that politics is not allowed.   Why not?   I hate half the schlubs on here already.  :)

feedback