MUScoop > Hangin' at the Al

[Cracked Sidewalks] New Recruit for Marquette

<< < (8/8)

Pakuni:

--- Quote from: nola03 on June 28, 2008, 04:04:04 PM --- Then, those bigs you're very excited at having in hand have little experience and no experience but who knows when the light turns on.
--- End quote ---

Yes, when I wrote of McMorrow "Whether McMorrow was MU's best option for a big remains to be seen " my excessive excitement over the commitment was on display.  ::)

--- Quote --- Memphis seemed to do fine having only one big man. Hell, that big man was only 6'8''.
--- End quote ---

Watch much basketball?
Joey Dorsey: 6'9"
Shawn Taggart: 6'10"
Pierre Niles: 6'8"
Robert Dozier: 6'9" (though more of a wing)

--- Quote --- DeJuan Blair is only 6'8''.
--- End quote ---

Actually, Blair is 6'7", but also 265 pounds and plays far bigger than his height.
Pitt also had 6'8" Tyrell Biggs.

--- Quote --- Harangody is 6'8''.
--- End quote ---

Notre Dame also had:
Rob Kurz: 6'9"
Zach Hillesland: 6'9"
Luke Zeller: 6'10"

--- Quote --- Adrien is 6'7''.
--- End quote ---

Hasheem Thabeet: 7'3"
Stanley Robinson: 6'9"
Gavin Edwards: 6'9"

While the players you mention are indeed solid in the post, they're not the only size on their teams. Even if Mbakwe turns out as good as the guys above - far from a sure thing or even a likelihood - he can't play 40 minutes a night as the team's only low-post presence while guarding the other team's bigs.   

Really, I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you making the case that MU could consistently compete in the Big East in '09-10 with Mbakwe and Otule as the only post players on the roster? If so, it's a bad argument you're making.

Regarding your JUCO issue ... again, please name the last time MU failed to get a recruit's junior college credits to transfer or otherwise could not get him enrolled. I honestly cannot think of one time in the last 2+ decades, but maybe you remember one I do not.

Rollout-the-Barrel:
This is a smart low risk decision.  If he develops into a solid post he definitely helps and would show that mu can develop big men.  If he doesn't, he will still be serviceable as a defender for other teams bigs and in the middle of zones.  We have to take risks on bigs at MU bc there just aren't that many around and we don't have a great chance of getting the marquee ones.

TJ:
One good/bad thing about our current scholarship situation and the result of signing a couple transfers is that we get to start it all over again for the '10 and '11 recruiting classes anyway.  There are 8! spots to fill by '11 (3 in '10 and 5 in '11).  So let's all hope that once Buzz gets a PG for '09 in the fold he starts working those two classes hard.  Or, more likely, he's probably already started that process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version