collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Career Services/ Legal Field Help in Chicago?  (Read 2167 times)

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
MU Career Services/ Legal Field Help in Chicago?
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
I'm posting because I was wondering if anyone had any experience working with the MU Career Services office or MU Alumni association/Marquette Club of Chicago to help advance their career in Chicago, and what your experience was.

I'm an '06 MU grad and will be graduating from SLU Law School in May with dual concentrations in Civil Litigation and Criminal Litigation, and taking the Illinois Bar Exam in July. I've previously worked on the staff of a large corporate law firm, clerked for a judge, spent the past summer as a Rule 711 Student Attorney working for the Cook County State's Attorney's Office, and spent the fall in Missouri Family Court representing juveniles in child advocacy cases.

Tough thing is, with all the experience, little if anything has come in way of leads to a job after the bar. The big firm like most big firms isn't recruiting, the judge already has a full-time clerk on staff, and the State's Attorney's Office will have its smallest hiring class in years thanks to budget cutbacks.

My grades were respectable (mostly Bs and B+s), and I've collected as much work experience as I could hope to, but the job market is weak. Any other lawyers or people who know Chicago lawyers on this board? I'm looking for any help or advice I can get in the MU community since finding a job in this economy is pretty daunting.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:02:21 AM by notkirkcameron »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
Re: MU Career Services/ Legal Field Help in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I'm an MU grad currently in law school right now.

The job market sucks right now, I'm also having trouble. Best of luck to ya though.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »
A friend of mine is just starting law school in Sept despite the fact that there is really no job market out there for lawyers.

too bad he didn't listen. :-/

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »
Welcome to being a post-2009 grad. That's why I moved to DC, but its not that much better here. Worst time to graduate ever
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:25 PM »
I'm a lawyer in the south burbs of Chicago.  You've got a lot of experience in the field during law school but unfortunately, there are not many of us hiring right now.  I'll keep it in mind if and when the market changes.  It is supposed to get better right?  Obama keeps telling us it is so it must be true!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
I'm a lawyer in the south burbs of Chicago.  You've got a lot of experience in the field during law school but unfortunately, there are not many of us hiring right now.  I'll keep it in mind if and when the market changes.  It is supposed to get better right?  Obama keeps telling us it is so it must be true!

Millions of jobs have been created under Obama. The economy is definitely on the upswing.
We Are Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »
Millions of jobs have been created under Obama.

A man for every pothole to be filled!

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
The one thing that hurts is from SLU you would need to be near the top 2 or 3 to get in a big firm in Chicago but they hardly hiring any 1st years.
But I like to throw handfuls...