Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In the Absence of Tower  (Read 10530 times)

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
Re: In the Absence of Tower
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
On Kolek, yes he had zero points, but he had 6 assists and many more that should have been assists.  An assist us as good as a score in my book, especially for a PG.  I had no problem with his game, especially with just two turnovers against that defense.

Kolek poses no threat from a scoring standpoint. When you have the ball in his hands as much as he does and has zero points, you better do something right. Heck, he doesn't even look to shoot when he's open 90% of the time. The defense sags on him and it really makes things difficult for guys to drive or find open. .

Defensively, he's a "C" at best. If Shaka wants to continue to play him as much as he does, then we will live and die and go as far as Kolek will take us.

I rather see more minutes going to Mitchell. He plays outstanding defense, sets the tone with his energy, and he is actually
starting to shoot the ball. I just don't think you can have your point guard's only attribute is to dish out some dimes when he doesn't score and his D is average. BTW, he threw the ball around very sloppy last night where he was fortunate not to have more TO's.

I hope I'm wrong on Kolek because Shaka seems somewhat stubborn on changing up his rotation this late in the year with Kolek, but the way we have been playing over the past 8 games or so, I see no harm in it. I'd go with the hot hand in Stevie right now by giving him more minutes.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Kolek poses no threat from a scoring standpoint. When you have the ball in his hands as much as he does and has zero points, you better do something right. Heck, he doesn't even look to shoot when he's open 90% of the time. The defense sags on him and it really makes things difficult for guys to drive or find open. .

Defensively, he's a "C" at best. If Shaka wants to continue to play him as much as he does, then we will live and die and go as far as Kolek will take us.

I rather see more minutes going to Mitchell. He plays outstanding defense, sets the tone with his energy, and he is actually
starting to shoot the ball. I just don't think you can have your point guard's only attribute is to dish out some dimes when he doesn't score and his D is average. BTW, he threw the ball around very sloppy last night where he was fortunate not to have more TO's.

I hope I'm wrong on Kolek because Shaka seems somewhat stubborn on changing up his rotation this late in the year with Kolek, but the way we have been playing over the past 8 games or so, I see no harm in it. I'd go with the hot hand in Stevie right now by giving him more minutes.

Mitchell can't dribble.

He'd be a turnover machine.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2022, 11:40:19 AM »
Mitchell can't dribble.

He'd be a turnover machine.

16.2% turnover rate in Conf play. #great
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2022, 12:04:03 PM »

Stevie does turn it over more than you'd like so I certainly understand your logic, but all I am saying is that I'd like to see him have more minutes given than what I have seen as of late. I am not indicating you flip flop the minutes between Kolek and Mitchell, but when Mitchell is in the game, Morsell can have the ball in hands. It's not like Morsell can't handle the point.

If you want to give Kolek all these minutes and see average D, zero scoring, while the D clogs the middle because they know he won't shoot, but knows he wants to drive and kick, then fine. But then expect the ordinary, which has not been very impressive over the last 8 games. I find it hard to believe that Mitchell doesn't deserve to play more than 5 minutes versus Kolek's 33. That is all I am saying guys.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2022, 12:19:05 PM »

You are wrong about Kolek. He does need improvement in a
few areas, needs to take more shots, especially when driving under basket, but has great floor vision.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2022, 12:31:26 PM »
I'm not wrong about Kolek. I'm not saying bench the guy. I would like to see Mitchell have more consistent minutes.
MU is trending backwards as Kolek's play is too. Great floor vision...agreed, but there Mitchell adds a entirely different feature when he's playing with Morsell in the game. Just give the guy 10-15 min is what I'm asking.

There's a reason everybody wants to bully Tyler on the block, there is a reason why every guy guarding him sags causing issues in the lane stalling our offense.

I didn't say bench him, I said reduce his minutes. How does Stevie play 16 min. at DePaul and scores 12 points with Tyler playing 24, then last night Stevie plays only 5 while electrifying the crowd and his team defensively.

Kolek is the better player when he's playing well. But he's not playing well so go with the hot hand or we can continue to talk about how Marquette fades late in the season. Don't go off of stats from the entire season.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »
I am baffled that we are even having this debate about the Big East’s assists leader.  After years of PGs that were entertaining but not amazing for team wins or team chemistry, I am elated that we have a PG who creates for others.  I also love that his backup is a really good defender.  But no need to bash the assists leader. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2022, 12:58:45 PM »
I am baffled that we are even having this debate about the Big East’s assists leader.  After years of PGs that were entertaining but not amazing for team wins or team chemistry, I am elated that we have a PG who creates for others.  I also love that his backup is a really good defender.  But no need to bash the assists leader.

It is strange. TK definitley pissed me off vs DePaul but some of the takes here are weird.

Things are not going as smoothly for him as they were earlier on but the guy know show to move the ball. He keeps the offense flowing, handles pressure pretty well, can lead a break.

Yesterdays game is a weird one for people to go after him for. He did have two AWFUL passes one of which he still turned into a great assist by stealing it back. But other than that he played a great floor general game. Controlled the ball and didnt take stupid shots with a all BE guard is on him.

TK is someone who should be shooting catch and shoot and occaisional drives. Vs DePaul he keps trying to create his own jumper and it was a nightmare. Yesterday? He knew Posh wasnt gonna give him looks and didnt force it. Dont think he needed his minutes reduced at all last night.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2022, 01:02:08 PM »
Big offseason ahead for Tyler (as is the case for all of the returnees). He does need to become more of a threat offensively as that should open up some of the passing lanes that closed as teams adjusted to him.

He can get in the lane - would be great to see him develop a floater as there's been a number of instances where he penetrated and looked to have a a good opportunity to score but overpassed.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
Floater or the ability to shoot a 15 foot jumper as he can have that at least 5 times a game.  Also, work on a right hand for layups,  lots of offensive weaknesses in his game.  Shot is to flat as well.  All can be worked on

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2022, 01:48:37 PM »
I'm big on the "I trust Shaka" thing when it comes to Kolek.

Some ripped Shaka for benching Kolek vs. Creighton even though Shaka obviously knew what was going on way better than any of us could have. Now some are ripping Shaka for playing Kolek "too much." All of which is OK, goes with being coach of a P6 program, though I happen to reject both criticisms.

Kolek's been A-OK. Some games very good, some games not so good. Inconsistency is expected: It's his first season as a major-college player, first season as a college PG.

He not only leads the Big East in assists, he also leads qualifiers in assists per 40 minutes and assist/TO ratio. That's pretty darn good. But he's gone from averaging 6.3 per game in January to 4.8 in Feb/March -- and that's despite getting 11 against Georgetown's JV team.

Tyler is an OK defender -- overmatched by some offensive players 1-on-1, but good at deflecting the ball, reasonably good at staying with most players, a willing rebounder for his size. His defense isn't costing us games IMHO.

What I think most will agree on -- including Shaka and probably even Kolek -- is that we'll need better overall play out of the PG position next season and beyond. Whether that comes from Kolek himself, or Stevie, or Sean Jones is yet to be determined.

I agree with VBMG that it's a big offseason for Kolek. He needs to be more of a scoring threat, needs a lot more variety in his offensive game. A float game and a pull-up J would be huge additions, and he is WAY too left-handed - reminds me of Haani. Also, today's PGs have to be at least credible from 3. Aside from a handful of games, Kolek's been light years from credible.

Posh Alexander's name came up a couple of times. I like Posh. He's second to Kolek in assists and he's an irritating defender. But he can't shoot, and despite having some talent around him, what the hell has St. John's won in his two seasons there?

My hope is that Sean Jones is great and really pushes Tyler and Stevie. If that means, Tyler and/or Stevie rise to the challenge, that's great for Marquette. If that means one or both get pushed right out of the program, well, it's a big boy's game.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2022, 02:02:32 PM »
I really don’t mind all the Kolek hate. It’s a dog whistle for people who don’t know much about the nuances game.

The idea of a Pg who averages double figures, doesn’t turn the ball over and gets 5-8 assists game is not a reality.

We have a guy who is very good with the ball, always makes the right pass and is an awesome off the ball defender.

This complaint is a close cousin of the casual fan complaining about the man defense not performing well so “switch to a zone !”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »

It is more than just assists.  I credit Kolek for leading the BE in assists and at times he has made some wonderfull plays.  Other times, he and Morsell have made some mind blowing horrible ones. He is an excellent ball handler and has done great things breaking the press.

Kolek has no outside shot which is detrimental in the college basketball and Shaka's system. 
He has missed more layups and had them blocked more than any guard I have seen in years.
Quicker guards blow right pass him and that's why he sat against Creighton, Nembhard abused him. He will see more minutes against Creighton since Nembhard is out.
Other teams have quickly observed his signature move, which is dribbling with left hand towards the basket, going under basket and then making that over the head left-handed outlet pass.

Been a rough last five games or so, where he has almost as many turnovers as points.  Maybe he can get that shot going in the BET.  He also needs to calm his emotions down because he seems to get upset, down on himself after a poor play or getting benched.  This team will need a good Kolek to move forward.

As far as next year, Kam Jones will gain ten pounds and should be a lock for one starting guard spot.  If Sean Jones has an outside shooting touch, one that Kolek and Mitchell don't really have, then the competition for PG should be competitive, which is good for the team. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2022, 03:02:20 PM »
Stevie has personally pissed in his cheerios.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2022, 03:22:33 PM »
Stevie has personally pissed in his cheerios.

Stevie is still very green but he looks much improved from November to today and that’s awesome
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2022, 04:09:12 PM »
I love watching Ners champion a PG who has trouble scoring.  We've come full circle  ;D

And preemptively, I'm just gigging you Ners. I'm a TK fan
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2022, 04:54:25 PM »
Brings Violence to a whole other (but not altogether unexpected given locale) level
Spot on
Goal is National Championship

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2022, 05:08:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with seeing Shaka increase Stevie's minutes and getting Kolek more reset. I tend to think Tyler is best at 25-27 minutes.

However, for those silly enough to compare turnover rates of a 10 minute per game player who almost never has primary ball-handling responsibility to a player who plays 30 minutes per game and exclusively is the primary ball handler, that's just absurd.  I suspect if Posh Alexander were guarding Stevie for 30 minutes and Stevie faced a lot of full court pressure, that would be pretty ugly.

Stevie can be high-energy as fug right now because he's only playing 10 minutes per game.  His defensive stats (and I suspect shooting) would slip playing 30.  I've seen him look pretty winded on the floor despite him generally only playing in 5-8 minute spurts.

All that said it's been a pleasure to watch Stevie's growth/improvement this past month.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2022, 05:39:23 PM »

My hope is that Sean Jones is great and really pushes Tyler and Stevie. If that means, Tyler and/or Stevie rise to the challenge, that's great for Marquette. If that means one or both get pushed right out of the program, well, it's a big boy's game.

Sean is definitely not a big boy. Shifty as hell, and quicker than a rumor, but it remains to be seen how a kid that size will do on D in the BE. It's a big jump from HS to D1, but I hope he's great too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2022, 06:36:47 PM »
Sean is definitely not a big boy. Shifty as hell, and quicker than a rumor, but it remains to be seen how a kid that size will do on D in the BE. It's a big jump from HS to D1, but I hope he's great too.

Short but thick. He's built like a running back. Still may have issues adjusting,  but I think he's insets underranked due to his size
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2022, 07:09:39 PM »
Short but thick. He's built like a running back. Still may have issues adjusting,  but I think he's insets underranked due to his size
Has Herman decided on his neck?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2022, 07:34:21 PM »
Did Tower die or something?  This seems like an obituary.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
As far as I know only Herman died but resurrected.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2022, 09:15:32 PM »

I think Rocky kicked him off this board, but he's still on Dodds. Check there.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2022, 09:44:17 PM »
I think Rocky kicked him off this board, but he's still on Dodds. Check there.
........ ....... ......

feedback