'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In the Absence of Tower  (Read 10531 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
In the Absence of Tower
« on: March 05, 2022, 11:06:38 PM »
I love Tower's recaps. He has a gift for summing things up well, and succinctly. He may have had to work tonight, so I'll put forward my effort (be kind).

1. A very nice bounce-back from the abomination of the DePaul game. Credit to the coach and the
    squad.
2. The start was a little frustrating. 10-0, and we peed it away. It seems that when we're on the on
    the other end of such a start, the deficit never disappears.
3. A little concerned that Justin was gassed and needed a break. He came back in and was woefully
    short on a 3, but loosened up and was himself down the stretch.
4. Morsell handling the ball at the ends of games has to stop.
5. How many times did we score a nice hoop, and celebrate? Meanwhile, SJU was running down
    for a runout.
6. The big thing is, we avoided a Wed. game at the Garden.
7. Goose egg from Kolek. Makes you think our pick and roll is pretty much dead. Zero from Kam as
    well.
8. FT's no matta. But they helped us tonight.
9.Nice to see Kur back among the living - nice game.
10.Nice 3 from Stevie at a key time -like his future with us.
11. Don't forget it was Senior Night. Certainly appreciate what Kur and Darryl have done for us
      this year, but Kudos most of all to GE, who's been there most of the time since I got out of
      MKE in 1972, I hope he comes back to wipe out Otule's records.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: In the Absence of Tower
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 11:14:38 PM »
Me on Scoop when Tower takes a game off.

Thanks for stepping up.

4. DM is probably our second best ball handler. I don't trust the freshmen yet.
5. +100
6. +1000

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 11:15:31 PM »
And a shout out to my sister and Julie driving home from the game!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 11:18:31 PM »
I love Tower's recaps. He has a gift for summing things up well, and succinctly. He may have had to work tonight, so I'll put forward my effort (be kind).

1. A very nice bounce-back from the abomination of the DePaul game. Credit to the coach and the
    squad.
2. The start was a little frustrating. 10-0, and we peed it away. It seems that when we're on the on
    the other end of such a start, the deficit never disappears.

3. A little concerned that Justin was gassed and needed a break. He came back in and was woefully
    short on a 3, but loosened up and was himself down the stretch.

4. Morsell handling the ball at the ends of games has to stop.
5. How many times did we score a nice hoop, and celebrate? Meanwhile, SJU was running down
    for a runout.
6. The big thing is, we avoided a Wed. game at the Garden.
7. Goose egg from Kolek. Makes you think our pick and roll is pretty much dead. Zero from Kam as
    well.
8. FT's no matta. But they helped us tonight.
9.Nice to see Kur back among the living - nice game.
10.Nice 3 from Stevie at a key time -like his future with us.
11. Don't forget it was Senior Night. Certainly appreciate what Kur and Darryl have done for us
      this year, but Kudos most of all to GE, who's been there most of the time since I got out of
      MKE in 1972, I hope he comes back to wipe out Otule's records.

1. We are not great at keeping sustained runs right now. But idk about us never coming back ont he other end. We have quite the knack for making games interesting when down big, usually get it down to 1 down the stretch, lately been losing them. But we usually make a big push.

3. I actually thought Shaka sitting a few guys Justin included and trusting Jop and Stevie was huge. We got our guys some breathe and the young dudes made some shots.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 11:18:44 PM »
And a shout out to my sister and Julie driving home from the game!

We shout out to sister & Julie, or sister Julie, also.  Glad you're home safe.

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 11:22:50 PM »
(One reads Tower's posts while the other drives.)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 11:28:29 PM »
PG's, you're absolutely right.My frustration over pissing away the lead led me to conveniently forget the deficits  we've made up this year.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 11:36:43 PM »
Don't forget it was Senior Night. Certainly appreciate what Kur and Darryl have done for us this year, but Kudos most of all to GE, who's been there most of the time since I got out of MKE in 1972, I hope he comes back to wipe out Otule's records.

Also, appreciated this humor.  Or maybe I underestimated the time Greg's been in MKE.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 11:52:44 PM »
Liked several of Shaka's moves tonight:

++ He let Lewis take the technical FTs even though Justin's not our best FT shooter. JL had just hit 4 straight, and then he calmly hit the 2 for the tech.

++ He benched Morsell after Darryl's last turnover -- even though it was still a close game, we needed ballhandling and we needed good FTs on the court. A coach can only watch so many giveaways by one player. All season long, Shaka hasn't been afraid to sit his best players when he's considered it necessary.

++ He gave Stevie and Joplin nice runs, and both made big plays for us in the second half. I especially am loving what we've gotten from Stevie lately. The kid stays ready, and he makes a sudden impact when Shaka calls his number.

++ He squeezed the most possible production from the 5 position. Both Kuath and Oso had their moments.

Also ...

Very, very nice game for Lewis. Even hit the dagger 3. Looking forward to seeing what he does under the bright lights at MSG.

Is Kam suffering a bit of a crisis of confidence? 8 points total in the last 3 games, and even a little bit of a reluctance to shoot.

It hurts a lot when neither Kam nor Greg are sharp from 3. Not only do we need them to make some shots, but it affects other parts of their game. Unfortunately, that's been the norm the last several games. Need more from them.

Too many sloppy TOs from our starting guards.

It was cool to see the day unfold exactly the way Marquette needed it to unfold: Seton Hall coming back to beat Creighton, UConn winning, and Marquette taking care of business.

Start spreadin' the news ... We Are Marquette!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 11:56:37 PM »
++ He benched Morsell after Darryl's last turnover

Dumb jerk.  Should have pulled Darryl instead.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2022, 11:59:14 PM »
Dumb jerk.  Should have pulled Darryl instead.

Well done, Larry.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 12:01:07 AM »
Well done, Larry.

Careful, there's probably only a couple dozen here that even get that joke!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3xj_jeviwKQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3xj_jeviwKQ</a>
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 12:08:21 AM by rocky_warrior »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 12:21:07 AM »

++ He let Lewis take the technical FTs even though Justin's not our best FT shooter. JL had just hit 4 straight, and then he calmly hit the 2 for the tech.

++ He benched Morsell after Darryl's last turnover -- even though it was still a close game, we needed ballhandling and we needed good FTs on the court. A coach can only watch so many giveaways by one player. All season long, Shaka hasn't been afraid to sit his best players when he's considered it necessary.

++ He gave Stevie and Joplin nice runs, and both made big plays for us in the second half. I especially am loving what we've gotten from Stevie lately. The kid stays ready, and he makes a sudden impact when Shaka calls his number.

++ He squeezed the most possible production from the 5 position. Both Kuath and Oso had their moments.

Also ...

Very, very nice game for Lewis. Even hit the dagger 3. Looking forward to seeing what he does under the bright lights at MSG.

Is Kam suffering a bit of a crisis of confidence? 8 points total in the last 3 games, and even a little bit of a reluctance to shoot.

It hurts a lot when neither Kam nor Greg are sharp from 3. Not only do we need them to make some shots, but it affects other parts of their game. Unfortunately, that's been the norm the last several games. Need more from them.

It was cool to see the day unfold exactly the way Marquette needed it to unfold: Seton Hall coming back to beat Creighton, UConn winning, and Marquette taking care of business.

Solid summary by Miles the 72 grad, but real solid summary here MU82.

All good points

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 07:46:47 AM »

Also ...

Yes—I asked “ is JLew shooting the technician as well?”

The cheers for Stevie when he entered the game were deafening. It was so cool.

Kam and TK had open 3s that tgey passed ip and then shook their heads asking themselves ‘why didn’t I shoot that?’

DM does so many things well….but we usually get a head scratching turnover or two and an air ball per game.

Agree on your Shaka comments. When I say to my daughter…….Ugh we need to get this player out or have that player defend someone else…….Shaka is already making the move.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 08:49:50 AM »

Kam and TK had open 3s that tgey passed ip and then shook their heads asking themselves ‘why didn’t I shoot that?’

DM does so many things well….but we usually get a head scratching turnover or two and an air ball per game.

Agree on your Shaka comments. When I say to my daughter…….Ugh we need to get this player out or have that player defend someone else…….Shaka is already making the move.

Such a refreshing change from what we witnessed the last 7 years.

Though I felt last night pulling Stevie to re-insert Greg was a mistake, yet I'm sure Shaka felt he trusted Greg more to potentially make FTs etc down the stretch.

It's going to be interesting to see how the guard spot shakes out these next few years.  Stevie showed a lot of improvement down the stretch.  Kam is probably a lock starter next year.  I still think Kolek will be the starting PG next year but definitely will get pushed by Stevie.  If Sean Jones comes in and is better than Kolek/Stevie, I'll be surprised, but reports on Jones are he's the real deal.  Great "problems" to have after years of not having a traditional/effective PG.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2022, 09:04:56 AM »
On Kolek, yes he had zero points, but he had 6 assists and many more that should have been assists.  An assist us as good as a score in my book, especially for a PG.  I had no problem with his game, especially with just two turnovers against that defense. 

connie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2022, 09:06:59 AM »
Love what Morsel brings, but those "moments" he always seems to have are so frustrating.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2022, 09:19:30 AM »
Not sure Cam is quick enough yet as he looked a step slow yesterday and really could not get open.  Defensively he has issues as well.  The guard position should be wide open next year.  Kolek has not shown as much improvement as we all would like.  Yesterday he was good at times and bad, afraid to shoot. Needs his confidence back.  They all will have to improve this summer.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2022, 09:26:09 AM »
An assist us as good as a score in my book, especially for a PG. 

Why? That’s an odd book you’ve got!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2022, 09:34:56 AM »

So, you are saying that Shaka is as good at in-game strategy as you are?  ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2022, 09:52:36 AM »
On Kolek, yes he had zero points, but he had 6 assists and many more that should have been assists.  An assist us as good as a score in my book, especially for a PG.  I had no problem with his game, especially with just two turnovers against that defense.

I tend to agree.  After all he was facing off against the 2020-2021 Big East Conference Defensive Player of the Year, Posh Alexander.  Tyler's line was pretty similar to Alexander's in this game.  The Kolek hate from some here is pretty ignorant.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »
So, you are saying that Shaka is as good at in-game strategy as you are?  ;D
Lets not get carried away……Shaka’s  been solid but he has a ways to go to reach my level of armchair point guard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2022, 10:21:01 AM »
I tend to agree.  After all he was facing off against the 2020-2021 Big East Conference Defensive Player of the Year, Posh Alexander.  Tyler's line was pretty similar to Alexander's in this game.  The Kolek hate from some here is pretty ignorant.
.m

Kolek has lots of room to improve, what is good about him is he is a gym rat so I expect significant improvement in the next few years. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2022, 10:24:55 AM »

Hope technician and whoever else he shot are alive.
Goal is National Championship

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2022, 11:10:07 AM »
Hope technician and whoever else he shot are alive.
Brings Violence to a whole other (but not altogether unexpected given locale) level

feedback