'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Northwestern on 11 game losing streak.  (Read 8709 times)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Northwestern on 11 game losing streak.
« on: February 13, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »
Despite starting BigTen play 2-0, after falling to Rutgers today, NU has lost its last 11 games. Yes, most of these losses have been to highly ranked conference foes. Wondering if K has been offering encouragement to both Wojo and Collins this year.

If you had the chance to swap Wojo for Collins, would you? Another guy who represents the university really well, graduates kids, yet can’t seem to turn a corner. Are NU’s problems admissions-related? Who would be more likely to have future success at another school, Steve or Chris?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Northwestern on 11 game losing streak.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:03:50 PM »
They both suck, hey?  It’ll be a while before another guy from the Coach K tree gets a P6 job without cutting his teeth at a small school first.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 09:15:22 PM »
If only there was some data before we hired Wojo that K assistants didn’t do well...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:23:07 PM »
They both suck, hey?  It’ll be a while before another guy from the Coach K tree gets a P6 job without cutting his teeth at a small school first.
Coach K is not a good coach. He has been able to pull the best of the best college basketball talent of all time - but his actual coaching is not good.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
Coach K is not a good coach. He has been able to pull the best of the best college basketball talent of all time - but his actual coaching is not good.

🙄🙄🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 09:34:35 PM »

K is a great coach, but he does not prepare his assistants to be head coaches.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
K is a good coach, but he does not prepare his assistants to be head coaches.

I don’t think his “tree” has been awful. Most legendary coaches don’t generate a ton of good assistants mostly because of simple probabilities. Most coaches fail.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »

Lol!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »
Lol!
What in the world could you possibly be acting smug about? You’ve been wrong about almost everything you’ve ever argued for the last 12 months. And you hid in a corner after we got our doors blown off by Nova.

Lol!

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
What in the world could you possibly be acting smug about? You’ve been wrong about almost everything you’ve ever argued for the last 12 months. And you hid in a corner after we got our doors blown off by Nova.

Lol!

I’ve been wrong my fair share here too. That said, cmon on your take here. Oh I don’t know...just maybe K built the program to the point it does indeed get the best of the best recruits, who want to play for a proven champion.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 10:19:37 PM »

Lol!

I have? And I hid in the corner after Nova? Lol. I think you’re getting confused by your own actions after MU wins.

But yeah. Coach K is not a good coach. Hahahahaha.

Just undoubtedly a top 5 coach ever to coach the game of basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 10:22:28 PM »

Yeah like back when he started before Duke was what Duke is now he was totally able to get the best talent easy!

Grow up and do some research K has grown with the times. He wasn't getting All Americans in the early 80s, he grew and then was developing them into multi year players. Duke didn't become a 1 & done factory till at most Kyrie arguably after Austin rivers. He may not coach as much anymore as he once did but calling him a bad coach is laughable by any standard
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 11:11:12 PM »
Just undoubtedly a top 5 coach ever to coach the game of basketball.
1. Wooden
2. Auerbach
3. Knight
4. Phil Jackson
5. Pop

K doesn’t really come close to the cut. I could make a case for 6-10 before K makes the list, too.

Undoubtedly, though right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 11:25:15 PM »
1. Wooden
2. Auerbach
3. Knight
4. Phil Jackson
5. Pop

K doesn’t really come close to the cut. I could make a case for 6-10 before K makes the list, too.

Lol at putting Bob Knight over Coach K.

Yes, undoubtedly.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 12:37:29 AM »

This take is hotter than the sun.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 06:45:22 AM »
1. Wooden
2. Auerbach
3. Knight
4. Phil Jackson
5. Pop

You originally said he "is not a good coach."  Now you might have him in the second ten to have ever coached that game.  That is one hell of a back pedal.

And Bobby Knight was indeed a great coach.  Better than K?  Nah.

Oh and the irony of putting Wooden #1 when your initial take on K was that he stinks because "has has been able to pull the best of the best college basketball talent of all time" is so hilariously ironic.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2021, 07:01:50 AM »

You originally said he "is not a good coach."  Now you might have him in the second ten to have ever coached that game.  That is one hell of a back pedal.

And Bobby Knight was indeed a great coach.  Better than K?  Nah.

Oh and the irony of putting Wooden #1 when your initial take on K was that he stinks because "has has been able to pull the best of the best college basketball talent of all time" is so hilariously ironic.
I think Coach K is obviously a great coach, but I don't think, since he has gone full in on the one and dones, he is near what he used be.  Current generation of top players are weened on personal skill development and AAU ball which emphasizes showing what you can do vs solid team play on both sides of the ball.  You end up with extremely talented and skilled basketball players who "don't know how to play basketball."  One year is not enough time to instill his principles when starting with superior talent and less team game fundamentals.  I don't know how these coaches do it, myself.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 07:20:08 AM »
I think Coach K is obviously a great coach, but I don't think, since he has gone full in on the one and dones, he is near what he used be.  Current generation of top players are weened on personal skill development and AAU ball which emphasizes showing what you can do vs solid team play on both sides of the ball.  You end up with extremely talented and skilled basketball players who "don't know how to play basketball."  One year is not enough time to instill his principles when starting with superior talent and less team game fundamentals.  I don't know how these coaches do it, myself.
This is an extremely intelligent observation. Well done.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 07:35:00 AM »

I don't disagree with any of this.  I am not sure where I would put him on the list of great coaches myself.  But to say "he's not a good coach" is not an accurate statement.

panda

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 07:37:13 AM »

I don't disagree with any of this.  I am not sure where I would put him on the list of great coaches myself.  But to say "he's not a good coach" is not an accurate statement.

You can say a lot of things about coach K, but starting off with , “he can’t coach” is flimsy.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 07:38:55 AM »
Let’s not equate he’s not a good coach with he’s not good person.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:08 AM »
Coach K is a great coach. To his credit, he built a program that can run on auto pilot. Assistants select, they don’f really have to recruit. And given K’s personality (in charge, hands on), I’d guess they don’t have to do all that much coaching, either. It’s a great gig, a very cushy route to becoming a head coach (comparatively speaking). But are they prepared for the realities of running a non blue blood program? Give me someone who has had more experiences that just going to Duke and being an assistant there.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 07:57:40 AM »
I find it truly amazing and baffling still after playing and coaching under him for nearly 20 years, Wojo is this bad running his own program. 

The only conclusion that can logically be drawn to explain that is Wojo is either just plain stupid or hasn’t worked nearly hard enough at this job.  I don’t know what option C is to explain this level of ineptitude at everything in this job except recruiting. 

I’d go with he doesn’t put in the work necessary, and he really is a country club guy as some here have asserted.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 08:08:31 AM »
Coach K is a great coach. To his credit, he built a program that can run on auto pilot. Assistants select, they don’f really have to recruit. And given K’s personality (in charge, hands on), I’d guess they don’t have to do all that much coaching, either. It’s a great gig, a very cushy route to becoming a head coach (comparatively speaking). But are they prepared for the realities of running a non blue blood program? Give me someone who has had more experiences that just going to Duke and being an assistant there.

I agree with this and good analysis, but there are some points he’s had to go off auto pilot in the ACC and tournament to win games and championships. I agree he probably is quite hands on in those moments.

But I go back to, how did this rube seemingly pick up on none of K’s coaching brilliance during these moments?

I have said recently that it’s incredibly frustrating that Wojo hasn’t learned in 7 seasons that MU takes a totally different approach to run than Duke. And blue blood Duke is all he ever knew in college basketball before April 2014.

So maybe Wojo is just stupid. 

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 08:35:06 AM »
I find it truly amazing and baffling still after playing and coaching under him for nearly 20 years, Wojo is this bad running his own program. 

The only conclusion that can logically be drawn to explain that is Wojo is either just plain stupid or hasn’t worked nearly hard enough at this job.  I don’t know what option C is to explain this level of ineptitude at everything in this job except recruiting. 

I’d go with he doesn’t put in the work necessary, and he really is a country club guy as some here have asserted.

Option C:  running a high level college basketball program is hard and most people fail at it.

Calling him stupid or lazy is...stupid and lazy.