[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Warning  (Read 9968 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wojo's Warning
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »
Do I think Wojo is a good coach?  Yes.

Do I think he is good enough to get Marquette where Buzz and TC did?  Not at this point.

Do I think he has improved?  Yes.

Do I think he can improve further?  God I hope so.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »
Do I think he is good enough to get Marquette where Buzz and TC did?  Not at this point.

Not that I intend to ignite a Wojo vs. Buzz debate.  But fully acknowledging this will.  Buzz got clobbered by Virginia tonight, and despite all the early bellyaching that Buzz was doing better in his 3rd year than Wojo...

Both teams are 5-5 in conference.  Marquette is about 10 spots better in KenPom (40 vs 52), and Marquette has played a harder schedule (by both RPI and Kenpom).    So, would Buzz really do better with this team?  I have my doubts.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 09:37:29 PM »
This team would be vastly different had Buzz stayed and been allowed to keep doing what he had been doing. We'd probably have three or four JUCOs.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
This team would be vastly different had Buzz stayed and been allowed to keep doing what he had been doing. We'd probably have three or four JUCOs.

OK.  So lets assume he can only do what he's doing at VT?  Fair?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
OK.  So lets assume he can only do what he's doing at VT?  Fair?

Absolutely. Buzz is a quick-fix guy, Wojo is (MU hopes) a long-term guy. Buzz knew the kind of players you need to compete in this conference. Wojo is learning.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 09:47:20 PM »
Absolutely. Buzz is a quick-fix guy, Wojo is (MU hopes) a long-term guy. Buzz knew the kind of players you need to compete in this conference. Wojo is learning.

I agree about Wojo.  So is Buzz still learning in the ACC?  Why isn't his team better already?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I agree about Wojo.  So is Buzz still learning in the ACC?  Why isn't his team better already?

Way tougher conference, way weaker and lower visibility program. (I know he chose to be there but it's still true).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »
Way tougher conference, way weaker and lower visibility program. (I know he chose to be there but it's still true).

VPIs conference schedule SO FAR is not way tougher than Marquette's.  Maybe a little tougher. Though it gets tougher for them, and easier for us.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:58:56 PM by rocky_warrior »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »
I would think at this point VT is better suited to contend for a tournament bid year after year because Buzz will go after (and sign) the JUCO guys. Next year's freshman class is huge for Wojo.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
I'll give him another year if he doesn't figure it out by then..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 11:23:23 PM »

We've been over this. What JUCOs? Please point them out. There have been maybe 5-10 JUCOs in the last three years that would be starters on this team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 11:28:23 PM »
All I  can say is that it was worse in person.   Most, no all the players were frustrated as was the coach.  Now St. Johns beat the team that beat the team, we had a target on our behind from the start of the game, you could feel it in The Garden.   We were either flat-footed or out of control, we lacked character, St. Johns set the pace all night. 
Why did we try to drive against a faster team with more length?
They really packed it in under the basket and we kept driving, geeze.
What happened to paint touches and kick out?  Why not open up the 3 point strength first and open up the driving lanes with the 3 point game?
I have never seen so many blocked shots against MU in my life, and I'm  old.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »

Vastly different? I agree with that. Three or four JUCOs? Unlikely. Buzz would have to be getting by on traditional transfers and high school talent. Would he have figured it out? Probably, but I don't think it'd be nearly the smooth sailing some think. I don't think he'd have made the tourney in 2015 either, and am not convinced he'd be any further ahead than where we are now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:47 PM »
I think Buzz may have spoiled us with Juco success.  It isn't that easy.

In his six years here, he had four Juco transfers make the NBA.  I would guess that is unprecedented.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
I'll give him another year if he doesn't figure it out by then..

And then what? He has to try to get by somehow without the all-important GoldenEagles32 endorsement?

Oh, the humanity!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2017, 07:54:59 AM »
All I  can say is that it was worse in person.   Most, no all the players were frustrated as was the coach.  Now St. Johns beat the team that beat the team, we had a target on our behind from the start of the game, you could feel it in The Garden.   We were either flat-footed or out of control, we lacked character, St. Johns set the pace all night. 
Why did we try to drive against a faster team with more length?
They really packed it in under the basket and we kept driving, geeze.
What happened to paint touches and kick out?  Why not open up the 3 point strength first and open up the driving lanes with the 3 point game?
I have never seen so many blocked shots against MU in my life, and I'm  old.

They had to drive, St John's was overplaying on the perimeter giving the lane to the basketball. The problem was the players continued to the rim/shot blockers instead of looking for kicks and/or taking mid-range jumpers.

But more importantly the offense really wasn't the issue, it was the defense.

Image of our interior defense:
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:05 AM »
We need this game at depaul

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »
We need this game at depaul

Yep, I think after the Nova Win, our Belly was Full, and we were not hungry the last two games.  I think the Hunger is Back.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
VPIs conference schedule SO FAR is not way tougher than Marquette's.  Maybe a little tougher. Though it gets tougher for them, and easier for us.

You are correct, Rocky.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 02:30:59 AM »
Yep, I think after the Nova Win, our Belly was Full, and we were not hungry the last two games.  I think the Hunger is Back.

If this is true I would really question if we are on the right path.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2017, 05:03:08 AM »

Interesting, but I  take a contrarian position, I  think our competition was jacked.  They had an opportunity to beat the team that just beat the number one team, that seemed to be tremendous motivation for St Johns.  They played far above their usual level, plus they had a great game plan.   Look for a press from here on out, that is the book on MU.  Slow Marquette down and you have a chance.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
If this is true I would really question if we are on the right path.

Human Nature,  people tend to lose the same focus intensity needed for the next game.  Most teams are susceptible to this hence "Trap Games."   

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
Interesting, but I  take a contrarian position, I  think our competition was jacked.  They had an opportunity to beat the team that just beat the number one team, that seemed to be tremendous motivation for St Johns.  They played far above their usual level, plus they had a great game plan.   Look for a press from here on out, that is the book on MU.  Slow Marquette down and you have a chance.

You're probably right.  Intensity wise we were coming down and they were going up.

What do you see happening in todays game.

Will we be able to play fast?

Will we be able to Break their Press?

I'm saying Yes and I'm unanimous in That.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »

Please stop saying that they had extra motivation because we beat Villanova a week ago. That's not a thing.

St Johns didn't play FAR ABOVE their usual level. St Johns has already beaten Syracuse (by 33) and Butler this season. They are 5-6 in conference play after that win. Let's not completely dismiss them because of their poor overall record. They have talent on that team. The loss had nothing to do with the fact that we had a target on our backs because of the Nova game. We just didn't match their intensity.

Outside of Marquette fans, no one even thinks about that Villanova game anymore. 3 of the top 4 teams in the country got knocked off that very same night. It happens all the time.

Teams/fanbases get excited to play the #1 team in the country. They don't get extra motivation to play the team that beat the #1 team in the country.

That's not a thing.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
Human Nature,  people tend to lose the same focus intensity needed for the next game.  Most teams are susceptible to this hence "Trap Games."

We had one good week where we beat two teams better than us - after not making many statements in the non-con & conference season to date...if that is enough success for the team to 'lose their hunger' or intensity for two games then I stand by my statement.

I look forward to the day where we are good enough for trap games or teams excited to try to knock us off - sadly though right now we are a winnable game for most and that is probably the source of the motivation....that and our defense is bad.

feedback