[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Warning  (Read 9971 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Wojo's Warning
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Wonder if we are even favored?

Wat

We'all be favored by more than one possession.

Their young guns can heat up... lots of 3FGA's and they often shoot it well... this alone means be ready for any outcome. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »
Wat

We'all be favored by more than one possession.

Their young guns can heat up... lots of 3FGA's and they often shoot it well... this alone means be ready for any outcome.
Per Sportsline.com (no idea of reputation), MU giving Johnnies 5.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
Per Sportsline.com (no idea of reputation), MU giving Johnnies 5.

Juuuuuust barely more than one Rowsey possession.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »
I  dont think it is neuroscience, it's playing down to or up to the competition.  When I  play with good golfers I  play better.  Hard to get into a good rythem with hackers like St. Johns.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
future arena for JJJ? https://dailyknicks.com/2016/10/20/new-york-knicks-nba-draft-sg-watch-2016-17/6/

Lockdown defender...just because Vander and Jimmy played here, apparently.

This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
ND sucks

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
Lockdown defender...just because Vander and Jimmy played here, apparently.

Honestly, fans like this look at steal and block stats to determine how good a defender is. And Jajuan is one of the best thieves in the conference. They don't have time to watch each player individually to really get a sense of how good a defender they are.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »
We got this game, the players know this is important and a "must win" even though this St Johns team is not that good. Seniors will need to step up, markus and cheat need to play good, and just play our game

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »
Honestly, fans like this look at steal and block stats to determine how good a defender is. And Jajuan is one of the best thieves in the conference. They don't have time to watch each player individually to really get a sense of how good a defender they are.

The clown who was working with Dickey for the Providence game said something like, "And when it comes to defense, it doesn't get any better than Jajuan Johnson."

Spoken like somebody who had never seen an actual lock-down defender vs. a guy who just gets a couple of steals.

I like JJJ and have defended him many times on this site, but he is not a great defensive player. Anybody who has seen a few MU games knows that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
The clown who was working with Dickey for the Providence game said something like, "And when it comes to defense, it doesn't get any better than Jajuan Johnson."

Spoken like somebody who had never seen an actual lock-down defender vs. a guy who just gets a couple of steals.

I like JJJ and have defended him many times on this site, but he is not a great defensive player. Anybody who has seen a few MU games knows that.
I love JJ he's been my favorite player the last couple years. But you are right he is not great defensively besides getting a few steals and blocks. For example saturday, he jumped for no reason and that kid on providence buried a 3 in his face. I just hope he has a solid rest of the season, continues to get better and at the end i hope a NBA gives him a shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »
I love JJ he's been my favorite player the last couple years. But you are right he is not great defensively besides getting a few steals and blocks. For example saturday, he jumped for no reason and that kid on providence buried a 3 in his face. I just hope he has a solid rest of the season, continues to get better and at the end i hope a NBA gives him a shot.

The best way for Jujuan to get a shot would be if he does something special in the BET and/or the NCAA tourney. Especially the latter.

Frankly, I don't see him as an NBAer. But I said the same about Buycks and Lazar, and they both made some dough-re-mi.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
I  dont think it is neuroscience, it's playing down to or up to the competition.  When I  play with good golfers I  play better.  Hard to get into a good rythem with hackers like St. Johns.
You're describing behavior dictated by external stimuli. That sounds pretty neuroscientific-y.

burger

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
LOL

And you wonder why the Knicks are perennially in last place.....

I got some land in Florida also.....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
Juuuuuust barely more than one Rowsey possession.

Haha nice

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
You're describing behavior dictated by external stimuli. That sounds pretty neuroscientific-y.

You sent me to Wikipedia for an education on neuroscience, very interesting, check it out.
I'll be at the game tonight, hope we don't  play down to any external stimuli.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »
Ha, it's the future, man [drawn out hippie tone].

It's really about habit-formation and neuroscience plays a big role in developing the theory of cue-routine-award. In this case, cue is the upset, routine is complacency, and the reward is not having to work as hard or focus (brain doesn't like learning new things--hence why habits are so powerful, i.e. automated, mindless behavior).

Wojo is trying to alter the routine that stems from the cue by creating a new routine after knocking off #1 (that hopefully involves being extra vigilant and focused at practice) with the reward being playing even better after the W over Nova.

Of course, new habits take time to develop, but the process is remarkably simple. You just have to stick with it.

EDIT: Check out The Power of Habit by Charles DuHigg. Awesome book with a lot of professional sports references.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:43:45 AM by Windyplayer »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »

He'll make some summer league team but that's about it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
Could JJ play in the NBA? Sure. I mean, Dwight Buycks did. But I think he'd have to follow the Buycks path. Buycks went to Europe and gained a ton of discipline to his game. Became a more fundamentally sound player. When he was here, Dwight was a hell of an athlete and amazing playground basketball player, but didn't have the discipline to play at the next level. He gained that in Europe.

I am not convinced they really teach that well in the D-League. Not sure why, but it seems like the D-League is full of guys that either just aren't quite ready yet physically (Ellenson) or guys that will never really make it (Blue). Plenty of guys that are good enough to be collegiate stars but will never even be NBA benchwarmers.

I think JJ would be best served to go overseas and learn a new way to play basketball. He has the length, athleticism, and raw talent to make it in the NBA as a 2. Not a frontline starter, but the raw ability is there. The developed game, however, is not. Europe might serve him well. Otherwise, I think he's destined to be that NBADL hanger-on who gets Summer League invites but never gets a full-time NBA gig.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »
Could JJ play in the NBA? Sure. I mean, Dwight Buycks did. But I think he'd have to follow the Buycks path. Buycks went to Europe and gained a ton of discipline to his game. Became a more fundamentally sound player. When he was here, Dwight was a hell of an athlete and amazing playground basketball player, but didn't have the discipline to play at the next level. He gained that in Europe.

I am not convinced they really teach that well in the D-League. Not sure why, but it seems like the D-League is full of guys that either just aren't quite ready yet physically (Ellenson) or guys that will never really make it (Blue). Plenty of guys that are good enough to be collegiate stars but will never even be NBA benchwarmers.

I think JJ would be best served to go overseas and learn a new way to play basketball. He has the length, athleticism, and raw talent to make it in the NBA as a 2. Not a frontline starter, but the raw ability is there. The developed game, however, is not. Europe might serve him well. Otherwise, I think he's destined to be that NBADL hanger-on who gets Summer League invites but never gets a full-time NBA gig.
I just hope he finds a place (hopefully the nba) he is my favorite player honestly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
JjJ won't go straight to the league.   IF he goes overseas and works on his left hand, his handle, his attention span, and his defense, he could come back and get some Buycks-esque run.   He isn't better than Vander, and Vander barely gets a sniff.   Vander is a better ball handler, better on defense, can play the point.
D-league:   I have taken my 10 year old to watch Henry a couple of times here in GR.   I went a couple of times last year, too, prior to Henry.    My observations are that due to roster turnover, it isn't easy to implement a complete offensive and defensive system.   Most of the players in the league are missing something.   3 inches in height, a left hand, a 3 pt jumper.    Still wonderfully talented.   I have seen a lot of 6'7-8 guys playing the post and not getting a touch for half a quarter, as the guards drive and dish.     When I have watched Henry, I have seen these same 6'8 guys, who aren't as talented, shut him down.    They are older, stronger, more athletic, and he doesn't have anything they haven't seen before.    He will make that wide post catch and try to do his 15 ft fallaway, and they are all over it.   I think that Henry will eventually be in rotation in the NBA.   I've literally seen a dozen guard/wings this year in the NBDL that would wipe the floor with JjJ. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
All people do in the dleague is try to get their stats up. they dont play as a team

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »
Well, at least we got those two losses out of the way.  >:(

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Remarkably prescient on Wojo's part. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77Freshman

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
I need help.  As much as I want to think that Wojo is our coach for the future, I just don't see much if any positive influence coming from him at game time.  I need to vent and I'm going to share some thoughts, I hope someone can point out where I'm all wrong about this. 

Tonight,  we apply "full court pressure" at the 2 minute mark and it consists of 3 defenders basically standing in the front court, I suppose trying to create a trap, but really just standing there.  This is our best press?  Have they been coached?  Then no foul, have we really just given up down 10 and 2 minutes to go???  Maybe, but then why the foul at 38 seconds?

In the first half, we were looked totally unprepared for SJ's pressure.  Were we surprised by this?

We have basically no defense.  Defense starts with coaching.  Is there no one on this team who can be a shut down defender?  Crean and Buzz always had one or more and I think it starts with brainwashing from the head coach - you are our defensive stud, that's all I care about, play like it.  I loved when we had the gritty, nobody out works us reputation.  That's long gone.

Near the end tonight, HC was playing hard, but wasn't getting it done.  Blundered rebound, missed FTs, lost possession, etc.  Why didn't Wojo sit him down?  It seems to me under our previous coaches (and the majority of others around the country), if you screw up a few times in a row you are given the opportunity to sit down and think about it for a while. 

At the end of the Providence game, on the last Providence possession, it took us over 10 seconds to foul.  Wojo started screaming for one after about 6 seconds, but no one noticed.  This is a coaching failure, not because he couldn't yell loud enough, but because it was the obvious right move and no one made it without his direction. (at least look over at him immediately guys)

Who thinks Marquette and thinks "well coached". (be honest)  Villanova is extremely well coached.  Creighton is extremely well coached.  Over the long haul, this is the single most important attribute for a team and we appear to have a long way to go.

Two awesome wins (Wojo coached a really good game against Creighton, but Villanova was fundamentally all about their inability to hit a shot (and it wasn't our D)), then two dismal losses.  Our own coach was the loudest prognosticator of the potential letdown, but he could do nothing to stop it.  I for one think it could easily get worse and be 3 in a row.  Coaches don't play the games, but they are supposed to set the tone.

Given Wojo's relatively limited experience (at least as a head coach), why do we have such a young assistant coaching staff?  It seems like one or two 20-30 year guys in the mix could really help.

Wojo appears to be a really good recruiter and a good ambassador for MU.  He will never embarrass us.  But will he ever truly inspire his team?  They say that teams take on the personality of their coach, and for Wojo that was always tough as nails D. That obviously isn't us though, and really hasn't been under Wojo.  Maybe it won't ever be with this team, but we need some defining personality as a team and I don't think we have one.  We're a mixed bag of talent, some really very good, but we have no swagger.

There.  Maybe I feel better.  Thanks for reading.  As I said when I started, please tell me why I'm wrong here.  I would love nothing better than to eat all these words.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 09:17:39 PM »
I need help.  As much as I want to think that Wojo is our coach for the future, I just don't see much if any positive influence coming from him at game time.  I need to vent and I'm going to share some thoughts, I hope someone can point out where I'm all wrong about this. 

Tonight,  we apply "full court pressure" at the 2 minute mark and it consists of 3 defenders basically standing in the front court, I suppose trying to create a trap, but really just standing there.  This is our best press?  Have they been coached?  Then no foul, have we really just given up down 10 and 2 minutes to go???  Maybe, but then why the foul at 38 seconds?

In the first half, we were looked totally unprepared for SJ's pressure.  Were we surprised by this?

We have basically no defense.  Defense starts with coaching.  Is there no one on this team who can be a shut down defender?  Crean and Buzz always had one or more and I think it starts with brainwashing from the head coach - you are our defensive stud, that's all I care about, play like it.  I loved when we had the gritty, nobody out works us reputation.  That's long gone.

Near the end tonight, HC was playing hard, but wasn't getting it done.  Blundered rebound, missed FTs, lost possession, etc.  Why didn't Wojo sit him down?  It seems to me under our previous coaches (and the majority of others around the country), if you screw up a few times in a row you are given the opportunity to sit down and think about it for a while. 

At the end of the Providence game, on the last Providence possession, it took us over 10 seconds to foul.  Wojo started screaming for one after about 6 seconds, but no one noticed.  This is a coaching failure, not because he couldn't yell loud enough, but because it was the obvious right move and no one made it without his direction. (at least look over at him immediately guys)

Who thinks Marquette and thinks "well coached". (be honest)  Villanova is extremely well coached.  Creighton is extremely well coached.  Over the long haul, this is the single most important attribute for a team and we appear to have a long way to go.

Two awesome wins (Wojo coached a really good game against Creighton, but Villanova was fundamentally all about their inability to hit a shot (and it wasn't our D)), then two dismal losses.  Our own coach was the loudest prognosticator of the potential letdown, but he could do nothing to stop it.  I for one think it could easily get worse and be 3 in a row.  Coaches don't play the games, but they are supposed to set the tone.

Given Wojo's relatively limited experience (at least as a head coach), why do we have such a young assistant coaching staff?  It seems like one or two 20-30 year guys in the mix could really help.

Wojo appears to be a really good recruiter and a good ambassador for MU.  He will never embarrass us.  But will he ever truly inspire his team?  They say that teams take on the personality of their coach, and for Wojo that was always tough as nails D. That obviously isn't us though, and really hasn't been under Wojo.  Maybe it won't ever be with this team, but we need some defining personality as a team and I don't think we have one.  We're a mixed bag of talent, some really very good, but we have no swagger.

There.  Maybe I feel better.  Thanks for reading.  As I said when I started, please tell me why I'm wrong here.  I would love nothing better than to eat all these words.
Because JJJ was worse and was nailed to the bench
Goal is National Championship

feedback