Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Warning  (Read 9943 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Wojo's Warning
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:31:17 PM »
One of the things when we were at Duke and coaching No. 1 teams in the different times when we were ranked No. 1 and we lost, it’s amazing how many times the team that beat us would then go on a two- or three-game slide because they don’t move on to the next thing," Wojciechowski said.
I'm really having a hard time getting this out of my head.  The offense against Prov. was so bad in the first half (more air balls then I've seen the whole rest of the year) that I'm very nervous about this game against St Johns.  The lost to Prov is something I can deal with but a loss in either of these next 2 would be put us right back behind the eight ball.  I assume that Wojo has their attention but outside shooting is a fragile thing and if we aren't on we're in trouble.  Be really glad when this next game is over.  Don't want to be a Wojo statistic.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: Wojo's Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
After that loss to Providence i think the players knew they should have won that game. The boys will forget about that loss and come out hungry tomorrow night

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
After that loss to Providence i think the players knew they should have won that game. The boys will forget about that loss and come out hungry tomorrow night
Shooters gonna shine under the bright lights at the Garden.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »
Shooters gonna shine under the bright lights at the Garden.

We shoot really crappily at MSG. At least that's what PaintTouches says.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
Well, there goes my narrative.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

That mother flippin NBA 3 line confuses the crap out of these guys for some reason.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
One of the things when we were at Duke and coaching No. 1 teams in the different times when we were ranked No. 1 and we lost, it’s amazing how many times the team that beat us would then go on a two- or three-game slide because they don’t move on to the next thing," Wojciechowski said.
I'm really having a hard time getting this out of my head.  The offense against Prov. was so bad in the first half (more air balls then I've seen the whole rest of the year) that I'm very nervous about this game against St Johns.  The lost to Prov is something I can deal with but a loss in either of these next 2 would be put us right back behind the eight ball.  I assume that Wojo has their attention but outside shooting is a fragile thing and if we aren't on we're in trouble.  Be really glad when this next game is over.  Don't want to be a Wojo statistic.

+1

also I'm not an Alum either...

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
LOL
+1. Prove us wrong, JJJ. Cut down on the boneheaded TOs, stay aggressive.

MUBigDance

• All American

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
I've been concerned about @ST. John's since the beginning of the year.  I'm afraid we become one of Wojo's statistics.

This will either be a close loss, or we blow them out of the gym.  I'm afraid it won't be anything in between...all depends on how well we handle their pressure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

Wojo has a unique perspective on this, so it was interesting reading the quote.

But it's hard for me to believe that beating Villanova made Sam miss the basket by 3 feet on his first 3-pointer against Providence.

As he rose for his shot, I doubt he was thinking, "I probably should make this, but that sure was a sweet rebound I got at the end against Nova!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »
Must win. We got this.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
Wojo has a unique perspective on this, so it was interesting reading the quote.

But it's hard for me to believe that beating Villanova made Sam miss the basket by 3 feet on his first 3-pointer against Providence.

As he rose for his shot, I doubt he was thinking, "I probably should make this, but that sure was a sweet rebound I got at the end against Nova!"
I suspect there is an explanation grounded in neuroscience for the phenomenon that's not as simple as described by your post.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

Didn't realize Ners was a Knicks fan.
MU fan in NY
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
I've been concerned about @ST. John's since the beginning of the year.  I'm afraid we become one of Wojo's statistics.

This will either be a close loss, or we blow them out of the gym.  I'm afraid it won't be anything in between...all depends on how well we handle their pressure.

St John's should not be a concern for this team. Yes they are roughly the same 3pt shooting team that Providence is, but St John's defense is one of the worst in the Big East. I'd expect a final like 91-79 with MU coming out on top.

Offense won't be an issue, just a question if MU is bad on D or really bad on D.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »

Wonder if we are even favored?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 02:29:24 PM »
Players gotta make plays.  Wojo can talk himself hoarse.   But players who haven't been there before need to figure out how to bring it every night.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
2nd trap game coming up.  Anyone taking St. John's lightly in their arena is just a balloon waiting to be popped.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »

I've heard this many times, so I decided to look into it.

First, I'm surprised by how few of games get played at the Garden. We will only be the fourth one all year.

12/18 vs. Penn State
SJU: 9/24 (37.5%) = Season average of 37.9%
PSU: 13/23 (56.5%) > Season average of 35.7%

1/14 vs. Villanova
SJU: 8/25 (32%) < Season average of 37.9%
NOVA: 7/21 (33%) < Season average of 37.7%

1/29 vs. Xavier
SJU: 5/23 (21.7%) < Season average of 37.9%
XAV: 5/18 (27.8%) < Season average of 34%

So it seems like there's some truth to it. Especially given that St. John's is one of the worst 3P defense teams in the conference. But it also seems like it affects St. John's more than it does their opponent.

SJU is 0-3 at the Garden. Let's make it 0-4.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 03:57:41 PM »
2nd trap game coming up.  Anyone taking St. John's lightly in their arena is just a balloon waiting to be popped.

Yep, they need to stay focused and not look ahead to the DePaul game. Oh wait...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
St John's should not be a concern for this team. Yes they are roughly the same 3pt shooting team that Providence is, but St John's defense is one of the worst in the Big East. I'd expect a final like 91-79 with MU coming out on top.

Offense won't be an issue, just a question if MU is bad on D or really bad on D.

You better be right Eng.  This is a MUST win.

feedback