[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Otule To Miss Remainder Of 2009-10 With Foot Injury  (Read 19666 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Otule fractures foot
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
Otule fractures foot

If it weren't for bad luck, Chris Otule would probably have none at all.

The 6-foot-10 sophomore center, who missed the first 10 games of last season after fracturing his left foot in practice, broke his right foot in practice on Monday night, and will likely miss the rest of this season as a result.

“We are extremely hurt for Chris,” coach Buzz Williams said in a statement released by the school.  “His development since the end of last season has been extraordinary. He has grown as a person and that was reflective in who he was becoming as a player. His game and confidence were growing daily, and though his stats do not reveal it, there was a residual positive impact for what he was giving our team on both ends of the floor.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/72110447.html

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: [GoMarquette.com] Otule To Miss Remainder Of 2009-10 With Foot Injury
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
I will be in the lab working on some new profanities...

groove

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
im really getting sick of this.

enough is enough.

watching all the other BE teams the last few days, I'm starting to get really nervous about our prospects this season.

Just nervous now? when did you think we had a chance to finish in top 10 of conference?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:56:03 PM by groove »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
Even if he is redshirted, what are the chances of a 6'10 guy coming back from fractures of both feet.  Sad, MU is going to really struggle down low this year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:14 PM »
I blame the Jordans.
SS Marquette

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
YOU TALKIN BOUT PRACTICE?!

Im usually selfish and get upset because the team gets hurt, but this time I really feel bad for this kid... He worked his ass off the past 2 yrs and got to play like 5 games and very few meaningful minutes. Best of luck and maybe he can somehow become one of those successful 5th yr seniors and it ends up being a blessing in disguise for him and the team

We talkin about practice man...

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 11:43:42 PM »
Alright.. I've been an Otule supporter and have had lots of hope on him developing into his potential.. hard to swallow this news for him after seeing him deal with injury last year.. hoping his recovery is swift and he can resume growing in his basketball ways as he seems to have been doing recently..

that said.. I wondered how this impacts the team contribution wise.. hard to measure intangibles so I had to go look at the raw numbers.. this is henry sugar's territory I know but I had to see for myself what we're losing.. used gomarquette's cumulative stats summary at http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/teamcume.html

The part we'll miss (in no particular order):
62.5% FG shooter (RobFro is 1-1 so Otule is #2 or #3 depending on whether you consider that valid)
6th in points/minute (.44)
4th in FG made/minute
5th in rebounds/minute
5 blocked shots (1 per game which is number 1 on the team)
started 1 game

The part we probably won't (in no particular order):
FG % is tempered by only 8 shots taken (8th on team)
9th in minutes/game (8.3)
0 three pt shots attempted
16.7% FT shooter (1-6)
2 rebounds/game (7th on team)
0 assists
3 turnovers - .12 per minute (worst on team)
3.7 pts per game (8th) and 7th in
0 steals (Mbao and Frozena only other players without at least 1 steal)

All in all.. sounds like a decent 7th/8th man we're losing.. now.  My sadness is because I think he could possibly have worked up to somewhere around 4th or 5th by end of the season and that we will miss.  On the other hand, I'm not despairing because I think that void at the end will be filled by someone else growing faster from having more on their shoulders.  In other words, I don't think this is the season and still hold out reasonable (I think) hope that we'll do better than 12th place.  I just hope he can pick up where he left off when he starts back up again next year.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
Alright.. I've been an Otule supporter and have had lots of hope on him developing into his potential.. hard to swallow this news for him after seeing him deal with injury last year.. hoping his recovery is swift and he can resume growing in his basketball ways as he seems to have been doing recently..

that said.. I wondered how this impacts the team contribution wise.. hard to measure intangibles so I had to go look at the raw numbers.. this is henry sugar's territory I know but I had to see for myself what we're losing.. used gomarquette's cumulative stats summary at http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2009-2010/teamcume.html

The part we'll miss (in no particular order):
62.5% FG shooter (RobFro is 1-1 so Otule is #2 or #3 depending on whether you consider that valid)
6th in points/minute (.44)
4th in FG made/minute
5th in rebounds/minute
5 blocked shots (1 per game which is number 1 on the team)
started 1 game

The part we probably won't (in no particular order):
FG % is tempered by only 8 shots taken (8th on team)
9th in minutes/game (8.3)
0 three pt shots attempted
16.7% FT shooter (1-6)
2 rebounds/game (7th on team)
0 assists
3 turnovers - .12 per minute (worst on team)
3.7 pts per game (8th) and 7th in
0 steals (Mbao and Frozena only other players without at least 1 steal)

All in all.. sounds like a decent 7th/8th man we're losing.. now.  My sadness is because I think he could possibly have worked up to somewhere around 4th or 5th by end of the season and that we will miss.  On the other hand, I'm not despairing because I think that void at the end will be filled by someone else growing faster from having more on their shoulders.  In other words, I don't think this is the season and still hold out reasonable (I think) hope that we'll do better than 12th place.  I just hope he can pick up where he left off when he starts back up again next year.

very small sample size but I agree that this is a bigger detriment to the team than what it might seem at first glance. in my opinion, from what ive heard/read from buzz this has got to kill him...Otule was out biggest post body/presence and was likely going to be used like Burke was last year. Buzz started him this last game and I believe would have done so most of the season, even though he wouldnt have played as many minutes as other post players such as Maymon. Also, he would have helped yous grow and vice versa.

Now, buzz is in a much tougher position. 2 guys that I think this will affect the most- Maymon and Mbao. Even though buzz prob didnt wanna play mbao much, esp early, he might just have to. If mbao is completely lost, Mr maymon may be playing outta position a whole heck of alot this season....I suppose its better than not playing at all?!

and to think jeronne came to college with the belief that he could play the 2, now he may be playing the 5   ::)   welcome to college kid, buckle up and hunker down

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 12:17:26 AM »
As far as what's left, I'd like to see/hear more on the guy Iceman brought up on this thread, Darrell Williams (http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16151).  Chicago native, Texas Juco, has had games of 14/8, 14/8, 6/11, 13/15 already this year.  Good size, would have at least as much experience as any of our 4/5s next year.  If Buzz would enter the race, it looks like we only have to beat out the likes of DePaul and Gonzaga to get him.  On paper he at least seems like the most ideal player we should/would/could have a realistic chance of bringing in next year.

You and me, both, Chapman!  BMA, do you know anything about this kid?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 12:18:24 AM »
somebody just bumped an old thread from last year, right?  RIGHT???  This CAN'T be happening again.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 12:58:05 AM »
Well, I doubt Otule will have much of a career at MU now after this. Just seems way too injury prone.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 01:18:48 AM »
Well, I doubt Otule will have much of a career at MU now after this. Just seems way too injury prone.

oh come on.. kinsella had like 4 major injuries.. at least two of which were with his right foot.. and he turned out to be an 80% 3pt shooter for MU in his final season.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 01:21:30 AM »
oh come on.. kinsella had like 4 major injuries.. at least two of which were with his right foot.. and he turned out to be an 80% 3pt shooter for MU in his final season.

Now that's funny.  At least, I think you were being funny.  :-\

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:17 AM »
Now that's funny.  At least, I think you were being funny.  :-\

it was tongue in cheek, yes.

but there was a very slight seriousness to it too.. he came back.. he played.. and did decent considering the time he lost.. further, he went on to play professional b-ball.. a bit premature to say otule's career (MU or otherwise) is over.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 02:07:46 AM »
Ah yes, he does have plenty of eligibility left to play at MU.  But I can't say I like the Kinsella comparisons, makes me think of recurring injuries!

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »
this is getting ridiculous.

I've never seen anything like this. One serious foot injury after another, Fulce with knee/foot injuries, and Liam has to quit playing basketball. Simply insane. Can't anyone on this team just twist an ankle or get say a sore quad and only miss a few games instead of nearly every injury the team has being a serious year long deal? Wow, Buzz sure can't catch a break health wise.

jenningstoMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »
I've never seen anything like this. One serious foot injury after another, Fulce with knee/foot injuries, and Liam has to quit playing basketball. Simply insane. Can't anyone on this team just twist an ankle or get say a sore quad and only miss a few games instead of nearly every injury the team has being a serious year long deal? Wow, Buzz sure can't catch a break health wise.

haven't heard the dwight buycks news?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:22 AM »
This is depressing. Otule's development this year was one of the keys in my mind to the ceiling for this team going forward over the next couple years. This sure isn't going to help. As depressing as it is for us as fans, hard to fathom how it is for the team, coaches and Otule in particular. What a shame. Something like this seems to happen to us every year to at least one guy, and often more.

Even though Chris has a long was to go, the presence of a guy with legit size would have been an important factor for this team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 05:39:17 AM »
He needs to drink more milk to get stronger bones.   It does a body good.  Unreal.   Amazing.    We have got to be the most snakebit team over a long period.    Is 03 the last year we got through without significant injuries?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »
Is 03 the last year we got through without significant injuries?

Diener was gimpy for the Kansas game; would have made all the difference.

MUUM794

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
Yikes! :o

Not the news anyone wanted to hear

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »
Time to visit the Good Feet Store LeRoy Butler speaks of.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 07:59:26 AM »
I'll be interested to hear whether this was a stress type fracture or if it was caused by a blow to the foot.  A lot of big men have problems with their feet.  If it was a stress injury, I hope they can figure out what is going wrong and get things fixed for Chris.  Zydrounas Ilgauska (Cleveland Cavaliers) had multiple stress fractures early in his carreer and a lot of people thought he would never be able to play much in the NBA, but they somehow figured it out and he's been playing for 12 or so years now.

I hope Chris recovers fully and has a great career at Marquette.  I'm really disappointed by this because I expected a great year from Chris.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 08:07:22 AM »
kjixvcmnmnkxvczk.ma /;'mhb;,./
;xaspck,

(head smashing on keyboard)

really though, this loss hurts.

calling J-May, Mbao, and Ewilliams... its your time to prove yourselves.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »
Any odd-looking 7 footers on campus available as walk-ons?