[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tall Guards  (Read 3336 times)

tower912

• All American
Tall Guards
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:28:41 PM »
After Markus graduates, MU will have McEwen, GE, Akanno, and now Symir.     That will give MU to switch all ball screens without worrying about getting physically abused down low.     All can handle the ball.    All can play defense.   Wojo will have the versatility to go guard heavy without worrying about a size issue. 
20-21, with Joey and Bailey and Cain at forward.   Now just need Ike to get healthy to back up Theo.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Tall Guards
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
Agree.  Admittedly, it's hard to tell by watching video, but, Symar looks like a dominant player, which translates to  a winner. 

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
The future keeps getting better, I really like the big guards and your take Tower.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
Symir also has a 6'8" wingspan, will likely be able to smother most PGs on D

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 11:39:07 PM »
After Markus graduates, MU will have McEwen, GE, Akanno, and now Symir.     That will give MU to switch all ball screens without worrying about getting physically abused down low.     All can handle the ball.    All can play defense.   Wojo will have the versatility to go guard heavy without worrying about a size issue. 
20-21, with Joey and Bailey and Cain at forward.   Now just need Ike to get healthy to back up Theo.

But can any be half the scorer/stud that Markus is? If not can two match the production with better defensive output? Surely the scoring and outside shooting won’t match

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 05:37:19 AM »
Markus is going to leave MU as the all time leading scorer.  The team will be different, the focus will be different, bit it will be just fine.  Lots of teams are successful without a single transcendent scorer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
I certainly like the increased length especially when comparing to last year's Rowsey/Howard lineup.  But let's not try to over-analyze what this team will look like (and more importantly be good at) 2-3 years down the road, especially with multiple recruits yet to sign.

That said, the ability to switch the ball screen will certainly be a positive factor in our favor.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »

After this year, I think it may be tough to understand whether a guy can handle the ball in the Big East until we've seen him do it. We didn't see enough from Greg last year to know where he's at, but what we did see wasn't overly impressive. Koby sure looks the part, and the younger guys seem promising, so I have high hopes. But we've seen how tough it can be for guys to adjust to the speed and length of high major hoops, so while I think you're right about defense, I'm not sold on the ballhandling part.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »
After this year, I think it may be tough to understand whether a guy can handle the ball in the Big East until we've seen him do it. We didn't see enough from Greg last year to know where he's at, but what we did see wasn't overly impressive. Koby sure looks the part, and the younger guys seem promising, so I have high hopes. But we've seen how tough it can be for guys to adjust to the speed and length of high major hoops, so while I think you're right about defense, I'm not sold on the ballhandling part.

You do know Greg was playing last year with a broken thumb, right?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

burger

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
More important than tall guards......

Ellliot, McKewen, Akanno, and Symir have the make up as combo guards with a junk yard dog attitude.....

I love that we are going to tough physical take no prisoner defensive able guards.....

I think WOJO wants a bunch of WOJO's with height, athleticism, skill, and attitude....(at least more than what he had)

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
You do know Greg was playing last year with a broken thumb, right?

It wasn't 100%, but it wasn't broken. Regardless, I still don't think we've seen anything from Greg to suggest that we want him running the point a lot. Obviously the injury played a role in that last year, but he was still cleared to play, so it's hard to say just how much his thumb impacted his ballhandling.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »
2022 recruit Devon'tes Cobbs is really good defender and a pogo stick, gotta offer him soon. Already holds offers from Florida and mississippi, hes from milwaukee originally supposed to attend New Berlin West but him and his brother transferred to Shadow Mountain (AZ) dominant HS team coached by Mike Bibby

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
2022 recruit Devon'tes Cobbs is really good defender and a pogo stick, gotta offer him soon. Already holds offers from Florida and mississippi, hes from milwaukee originally supposed to attend New Berlin West but him and his brother transferred to Shadow Mountain (AZ) dominant HS team coached by Mike Bibby
Hopefully Stan is on the case soon. Sounds like exactly the kind of athletic kid we want. In the meantime we need to close the deal with Desmond.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:22 PM »
Hopefully Stan is on the case soon. Sounds like exactly the kind of athletic kid we want. In the meantime we need to close the deal with Desmond.
Desmond is good friends with Cobbs

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:29 AM »
While it took a while for Wojo to get MU back to where it should be, I really like his recruiting and the trajectory of this program. Lots to look forward to, including the rest of this season...

Beat Creighton.

Just win baby!

feedback