[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blown out at Seton Hall  (Read 3749 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Blown out at Seton Hall
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
The loss to Seton Hall was another poor, grossly uninspired showing against an otherwise so-so team. Good teams might have slight ups and downs, but they do not have the humongous swings that Marquette has shown all season.

It is time to start asking serious questions about this team and about what is happening with our basketball program and coaching.

There is no good explanation for Marquette’s having had such a weak showing at Seton Hall. And it means nothing if our coach, at his post-game press conference, takes “responsibility” for another woeful loss.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Blown out at Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
Ok, everyone.  MU Avenue gave us the green light to "start asking serious questions."

willie wampum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:38:40 PM »
Ok, everyone.  MU Avenue gave us the green light to "start asking serious questions."

If you're playing  for an NCAA berth, which MU was, and they come out as flat as a pancake, then questions SHOULD be asked.

This team is playing it's worst bball of the season at the end, which is unacceptable.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
It is OK to act like a big boy, mu_hilltopper
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »

I would have thought that moderators here would want to make substantive contributions to the debate and elevate the quality of what is written here, not write infantile, sarcastic comments that add nothing.

Not the reply I would have expected, mu_hilltopper. That was supposed to be funny? Clever? Hostile?

What is your point?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
something is wrong with this team and questions should be asked...

the poor defense is unbelievably bad...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:42:11 PM »

OK,

1) Will Vander ever score more than 10 points in a game?

2) Will Otule ever grab a pass or rebound in the lane?

3) What the heck has happened to Crowder in last two, most important games?

4) Who will make up Butler's and Buycks' 26 points per game next year?  I hope Jamil Wilson can come in and average 20 a game.  It could get ugly.

5) Will Buzz's coaching be questioned again and again and again?

Not a real good week, but maybe 9-9 was expected.  Just that the two last games have been brutal to watch.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
OK,

4) Who will make up Butler's and Buycks' 26 points per game next year?  I hope Jamil Wilson can come in and average 20 a game.  It could get ugly.

Not a real good week, but maybe 9-9 was expected.  Just that the two last games have been brutal to watch.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Crowder has been slumping for longer than the last 2 games. Puzzling, I'm hoping he's dinged up - if not I don't know what to think.
4. J Wilson, Otule, Gardner, Cadougan, Blue and J Jones will have to step up.
5. Yes

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
OK,

Yes. Mostly from the line.

Yes. When his opponent is a guard on a mismatch.

The BE refs "un-friended him" on FB.

I'm more concerned about Butler's guts and hustle than points. Buycks averages 9 ppg this season. Not to be missed. Nor will his lack of tenacity to take it to the hole.

Yes, and deservedly so. Steve Lavin placing Gene Keady on his sideline is different from Buzz placing Orr on his sideline. Not to knock Coach Orr, but this team lacked DEFENSIVE INTENSITY the whole year...and he hasn't made the adjustments.

SS Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
Most disappointing to me was that with roughly 10 minutes to play, and about a 10 point deficit, SHU had three guys, including 2 senior starters with 4 fouls (not to mention one guy who already fouled out), and a ground total of none of them ended up fouling out. That just screams to me a lack of aggressiveness and recognition on the part of the players (I'm looking at you Jae Crowder).

willie warrior

• All American
Re: It is OK to act like a big boy, mu_hilltopper
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
I would have thought that moderators here would want to make substantive contributions to the debate and elevate the quality of what is written here, not write infantile, sarcastic comments that add nothing.

Not the reply I would have expected, mu_hilltopper. That was supposed to be funny? Clever? Hostile?

What is your point?
Hey c'mon man. Don't be so critical of the Moderators--you cannot blame them for being frustrated also for recent games, like about 90 plus % of us are. Let's get positive and fired up for the tourney. We can have the off season for the rest.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Hey c'mon man. Don't be so critical of the Moderators--you cannot blame them for being frustrated also for recent games, like about 90 plus % of us are. Let's get positive and fired up for the tourney. We can have the off season for the rest.

Willie = Sorry, but there are only about 10% of posters here who are so frustrated here.  The other 90% have a decent degree of perspective in life and are able to translate that into comprehending and maturely handling Big East basketball results.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Willie = Sorry, but there are only about 10% of posters here who are so frustrated here.  The other 90% have a decent degree of perspective in life and are able to translate that into comprehending and maturely handling Big East basketball results.

I am not into starting polls, but this is a ridiculous statement. I would wager than 90% of this board is frustrated with this team. I sure as heck am. Maybe not all of us display the infantile "Buzz must go" rants that you see, but I'll tell you what: I had to breath deeply a couple times last night not to go into rant mode.

This is, in my opinion, one of the least enjoyable Marquette teams I have watched in awhile. I probably would have to go back to the 2004-05 NIT team to match this team. People keep saying our team plays with grit and heart? I disagree. Maybe we did last year, but we certainly don't this year. The players look lethargic and uncaring on defense. They look timid and tentative on offense.

Some of this has to fall on Buzz and the coaching staff. Defensively, the schemes are awful. If we don't have guards that can guard, pack it in. You have to adjust to your personnel and right now our personnel can't extend its defense. Its a fact. Why the coaching staff hasn't realized that and changed things, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I am still firmly in the Buzz camp. I think he is the right guy for the job. What he accomplished last year was great. But he has work to do, and......

.....again, I sure as heck am frustrated.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »

As a moderator, he should be above making juvenile posts - agree with MU Ave

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
I'm frustrated too.  The thing that really frustrates me is that this team had two 'must win' games, and couldn't get up for either of them.  Just had the doors blown off.  Now, SH did start the game 8-11 3 pt shooting, but we didn't do ourselves any favors on either end of the court. At Cincy they looked completely confused by the half-court trap, something the team had to know they were going to see.  

I'm upset we lost both games, but I'm more upset that from tip off to buzzer it felt like we weren't even close in those two games.  Here's to hoping Buzz can figure out how to right the ship, because these last two have really been on him.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I am not into starting polls, but this is a ridiculous statement. I would wager than 90% of this board is frustrated with this team. I sure as heck am. Maybe not all of us display the infantile "Buzz must go" rants that you see, but I'll tell you what: I had to breath deeply a couple times last night not to go into rant mode.

This is, in my opinion, one of the least enjoyable Marquette teams I have watched in awhile. I probably would have to go back to the 2004-05 NIT team to match this team. People keep saying our team plays with grit and heart? I disagree. Maybe we did last year, but we certainly don't this year. The players look lethargic and uncaring on defense. They look timid and tentative on offense.

Some of this has to fall on Buzz and the coaching staff. Defensively, the schemes are awful. If we don't have guards that can guard, pack it in. You have to adjust to your personnel and right now our personnel can't extend its defense. Its a fact. Why the coaching staff hasn't realized that and changed things, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong. I am still firmly in the Buzz camp. I think he is the right guy for the job. What he accomplished last year was great. But he has work to do, and......

.....again, I sure as heck am frustrated.
You make a lot of good points here - I guess it just has to do with how the points are laid out, and who's making them.  I agree with most of your analysis here - it has been a frustrating season at times for sure, but at the same time, big picture wise - this year's schedule probably is by far and away the most difficult MU has EVER played in its history.  Sometimes the other team is just better than you are on a given night...personallly I think this team CARES TOO much and wants to win too badly - that it is playing tight..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
Been following the Warriors 44 years and this is the first time that "clueless" seems to be the most apt adjective for them. Got to admit I'm disappointed by their recent play. I hope they can get back on track PDQ.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »

I don't give a shiit if he's President of the United States, that was hilarious.
No Finish Line

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
You make a lot of good points here - I guess it just has to do with how the points are laid out, and who's making them.  I agree with most of your analysis here - it has been a frustrating season at times for sure, but at the same time, big picture wise - this year's schedule probably is by far and away the most difficult MU has EVER played in its history.  Sometimes the other team is just better than you are on a given night...personallly I think this team CARES TOO much and wants to win too badly - that it is playing tight..

Ding ding ding...that's what it's ALWAYS been about here.  WHO IS MAKING THEM...not if what they are saying is 100% right but rather what the name of the user is.  DING A RING A DING.

I would disagree that this is the hardest schedule MU has ever played.  The 2008-09 Big East was the greatest conference in the history of the sport.  Three #1 seeds.  Two #3 seeds.  It was off the charts insane/ This year's Big East has quantity but not the quality of that 08-'09 conference IMO.  I wouldn't be surprised to see zero Big East teams this year make the Final Four despite 11 teams potentially getting in.  The conference certainly has a chance, but Pitt, ND, etc...none of them scream Final Four lock.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 11:40:44 AM »
There arevery few teams  screaming final 4 lock this year.   No teams without significant flwas.  OSU is too shallow, Duke needs Irving, etc.   As far as reps and how people react viscerally to certain posters, there is something to that.   But sometimes you reap what you sow.    I know how I react when I see that certain posters have posted.    Some have earned a reputation that they start out 10 points behind and I don't expect them to catch up.    But we all started with a clean slate here and reputations are earned based on what and how you post.   To post 10k times and then claim you aren't getting a fair hearing is disingenuous at best. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I don't give a shiit if he's President of the United States, that was hilarious.

NickelDimer, you really found mu_hilltopper’s infantile, sarcastic comment “hilarious?”

Hmmmmm, really?

Glad it brought you joy, like a good fart joke.

I and others here remain of the opinion that moderators should elevate the level of discourse here, not lessen it.

By the way, you write, “I don’t give a shiit if he’s President of the United States, that was hilarious.”

I have no idea what that means or to whom you are referring. But, wow, what a clever way to slip in a “four-letter” word. Perhaps you should be a moderator, too.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:20:28 PM by MU Avenue »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Ding ding ding...that's what it's ALWAYS been about here.  WHO IS MAKING THEM...not if what they are saying is 100% right but rather what the name of the user is.  DING A RING A DING.

When a guy writes articles calling "his team" "choking dogs"  who "pee all over themselves" (complete with illustrations), when a guy spreads unsubstantiated rumors about "his coach", and when a guy never passes on an opportunity to show "his program" in the worst possible light he forfeits the presumption that he's just another fan. Add to that all the smarmy, passive aggressive crap (MU rpi 68 with a bullet!) and lots of SCREAMING and name calling and it results in a reputation. Yours is well earned, built brick by brick over time. You're like a little kid complaining that his behaivor is scrutnized more than others because he is RING A DING DING a chronic troublemaker. Don't want your posts looked on as if written by an agenda driven you know what? Easy. Stop acting like an agenda driven you know what.

NickelDimer

• All American
NickelDimer, you really found mu_hilltopper’s infantile, sarcastic comment “hilarious?”

Hmmmmm, really?

Glad it brought you joy, like a good fart joke.

I and others here remain of the opinion that moderators should elevate the level of discourse here, not lessen it.

By the way, you write, “I don’t give a shiit if he’s President of the United States, that was hilarious.”

I have no idea what that means or to whom you are referring. But, wow, what a clever way to slip in a “four-letter” word. Perhaps you should be a moderator, too.

You really need an explanation on the president analogy?  Uh, ok...it was suggested that as a "moderator" he need be above making wise-crack jokes.  I disagree.

He was poking fun at the panicked, over reactionary tone of your post..big deal.  My suggestion is you grow thicker skin.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:43:38 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

feedback