[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ‘I Can’t Breathe’: 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired After Black Man Dies in Custody  (Read 34066 times)

shoothoops

• All American
That’s the way it has been in other past higher profile situations. It’s a mix of things, people, geographies. Here’s a random example of Ferguson where half of the people arrested on a given day were not from either the Metro area or the state.  It’s a bad apple thing more than a geographic thing. There will be locals, and people from elsewhere. There are bad apples everywhere and sometimes they travel. And it certainly takes away from the many more peaceful protestors in these situations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/more-than-50-arrested-at-ferguson-police-station-on-moral-monday-other-events-elsewhere/article_c1752132-9731-542e-8525-1885fae7fd10.amp.html

Not a surprise, and not anything new...the Minnesota Governor this morning said at least 80% of the 40 plus people arrested in Minneapolis and St. Paul (data not in yet from other local geographies) were not from the area. This has been going on a long time in other incidents and geographies as well.

MU82

• All American
I had never heard of the guy until yesterday, but I agree that was a very moving speech he gave.

Have seen Killer Mike many times on Bill Maher and other programs. He is highly intelligent and he cares deeply about our country.

Yet another leader doing a better job in a crisis than the leader of the free world did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
From the twitter machine:

St. Paul, MN Mayor Melvin Carter says every person arrested in his city last night was from out of state.

Dangerous Fringes (of all political leanings) are tearing this country apart.

Indeed, if an individual, group, or country is interested in weakening America (further) .. this is a golden opportunity.   

We've seen it online with tremendous volumes of disinformation, hired by outside actors .. it's just not a great leap to bring it to the real world and create chaos. 

Worst week of 2020 ... so far.

reinko

• All American
Holy shat, if this is true.  And while it’s thread from an obvious biased source, she is just quoting local officials.

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/1266741059163389952?s=21

vogue65

• All American
From the twitter machine:

St. Paul, MN Mayor Melvin Carter says every person arrested in his city last night was from out of state.

Dangerous Fringes (of all political leanings) are tearing this country apart.

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE THEY ARE FROM?

Are they from Russia?  Ireland?  Who cares?   Are we saying that only people from the third ward can demonstrate?   Perhaps only from one or two blocks.  I don't care where they are from, perhaps from Mikwaukee.  "Some people say" they were from Mikwaukee.  I say they were from Milwaukee.   Fix the problem, where they were from is not a problem.

reinko

• All American
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHERE THEY ARE FROM?

Are they from Russia?  Ireland?  Who cares?   Are we saying that only people from the third ward can demonstrate?   Perhaps only from one or two blocks.  I don't care where they are from, perhaps from Mikwaukee.  "Some people say" they were from Mikwaukee.  I say they were from Milwaukee.   Fix the problem, where they were from is not a problem.

It matters because those being arrested are most likely the ones who are committing crimes versus the thousands who are protesting legally.  And if the ones who who are commiting crimes, are purposely traveling to a state, to commit said crimes, doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see their motive.

vogue65

• All American
Not a surprise, and not anything new...the Minnesota Governor this morning said at least 80% of the 40 plus people arrested in Minneapolis and St. Paul (data not in yet from other local geographies) were not from the area. This has been going on a long time in other incidents and geographies as well.

GREAT, it is a national problem, therefore, people are from everywhere.
Are you saying that I can't demonstrate in NYC because I live in New Jersey?
Then so much for being an American.   You would be suprised how many Milwaukee and Chicago white people went to Alabama and Mississippi to demonstrate for civil rights in the '60's.  Now we deem that unacceptable? 

vogue65

• All American
It matters because those being arrested are most likely the ones who are committing crimes versus the thousands who are protesting legally.  And if the ones who who are commiting crimes, are purposely traveling to a state, to commit said crimes, doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see their motive.

MOTIVE.  To draw attention to police brutality?  Being willing to risk their lives, get arrested, start fires, use violance against violance?  My hats off to them.  They show more guts than the socalled been nowhere, done nothing white supremacist militias.

BTW, I wonder how many of those trouble makers where white?

jficke13

• All American
GREAT, it is a national problem, therefore, people are from everywhere.
Are you saying that I can't demonstrate in NYC because I live in New Jersey?
Then so much for being an American.   You would be suprised how many Milwaukee and Chicago white people went to Alabama and Mississippi to demonstrate for civil rights in the '60's.  Now we deem that unacceptable?

I think the inference is that people are committing acts of violence to co-opt the moment and steer it in a direction that serves ends that may not be shared with the community at large.

It would be analogous to Milwaukee and Chicago white individuals going to march at Selma with the express purpose of goading the police into retaliating against the otherwise peaceful protesters.

vogue65

• All American
Indeed, if an individual, group, or country is interested in weakening America (further) .. this is a golden opportunity.   

We've seen it online with tremendous volumes of disinformation, hired by outside actors .. it's just not a great leap to bring it to the real world and create chaos. 

Love it, the victim is guilty.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Love it, the victim is guilty.
No, the looters and the people burning buildings to the ground are guilty.

vogue65

• All American
I think the inference is that people are committing acts of violence to co-opt the moment and steer it in a direction that serves ends that may not be shared with the community at large.

It would be analogous to Milwaukee and Chicago white individuals going to march at Selma with the express purpose of goading the police into retaliating against the otherwise peaceful protesters.

Where do you come up with that "analogy"?    We have had 60 years to fix the problem, the problem, institutional racism, has gotten worse. 

I can see how some people see the problem as looting, I don't.   

Now the M.P.s, you must be kidding.  They are traffic cops, 30 in a 25, please.  Good at guard duty, snappy salutes at the guard shack.   Our president, a been nowhere done nothing fake, get's his rambo from watching t.v. and action movies.  This might get very interesting.

Love watching the rubes doing their thing.

Pakuni

• All American
There undoubtedly are sh*tty people of all races and political persuasions from all over the country and maybe world (looking at you, Russia) seeking to take advantage of this moment for their own ends, whether that be plain old criminal activity or fomenting civil unrest.

As bad as that is, it would be worse to let it be a distraction from the just motives behind the legitimate protests or the systemic failures that have led to them. And that's already what's happening.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:28:44 AM by Pakuni »

vogue65

• All American

Guilty of what? 
Drawing attention to repeated injustice. 
The list is long, the hurt is real, the crimes against blacks are unconscionable. 
The crimes of looting and burning can't compare to the murders.
False equivalency.
If someone can't see that, I can't ever convince them.
It will take another generation or more.
Like Mosses in the wilderness, it takes 40 years, if you are lucky.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:50:28 AM by vogue65 »

vogue65

• All American
There undoubtedly are sh*tty people of all races and political persuasions from all over the country and maybe world (looking at you, Russia) seeking to take advantage of this moment for their own ends, whether that be plain old criminal activity or fomenting civil unrest.

As bad as that is, it would be worse to let it be a distraction from the just motives behind the legitimate protests or the systemic failures that have led to them. And that's already what's happening.

With all do respect, yada, yada, yada.

If you take a knee at a football game you lose.
If you burn down a police station you lose.
If you drive while black you lose.

I'm a nobody.
I live in exurban New Jersey.
I worked with a former Marine, like myself.
He was blown off a 4 by in Vietnam.
Did a number on his knee, had it replaced.
The driver was killed by the mine.
My friend would not visit me in New Jersey because he did not trust the police.

Most of you have no idea what we are dealing with.  With all do respect.

vogue65

• All American

I go to Newark a lot, the buildings can be rebuilt.  The "stuff" can be replaced.  The dead are dead for all eternity.  I understand how some people will never understand.  It will take generations to change the deep seated "views".

Power is very hard to give up.  Privilege is very comfortable.  Self righteousness is difficult to identify.   

Until the police love the people and not the job, we will continue to suffer as a people.

The rule of law has to be for all, not just the store owner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course

An idea.  Stop worrying about what some dumba$$ celebrity does or what some 16 year old girl says.  Worry about fixing the problem.

As mentioned earlier, high profile black athletes who were peacefully protesting these issues, were booed, threatened and had their livelihood taken away.  So *that* didn't work.

So when is the problem going to be fixed instead of old, suburban white guys simply quoting MLK out of context and lecturing people on how they should protest?

well that was a lot of help...i didn't post anything suggesting i knew what the answers were.  just some observations.  not really worried about what and who are saying.  and i'm not real invested in "fixing" the problem either.  they sure in the hell ain't gonna take my calls anyway unless i tell them sultan sent me
don't...don't don't don't don't

vogue65

• All American

You're almost there brother.  Keep it up and you may see the light.  We can celebrate when it happens, "what's happening". 

vogue65

• All American

"So far" and the best is yet to come.   
Don't get confused by outside actors, inside actors.
Just count the dead guys, they tell the story, no need to be an inside or outside actor.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
"there are a lot of people out there that think what the police did was perfectly ok."

the mississippi mayor is wrong and doubled down and is still wrong.  but i'm sorry forget, your statement is like saying there are a lot of people who think God is evil too, but to me, those people aren't worth the time to acknowledge.

a big problem with society today is people who cannot acknowledge bad is bad is bad as opposed to those who have different standards depending on what jersey they wear

vogue65

• All American
As long as they don’t take a knee during the national anthem, I’m good with rioting

Right on brother, game on.

vogue65

• All American
Time for the old man to take a brat brake.
Time for a little prayer and meditation.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:05:50 PM by vogue65 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Have seen Killer Mike many times on Bill Maher and other programs. He is highly intelligent and he cares deeply about our country.

Yet another leader doing a better job in a crisis than the leader of the free world did.

come on mikey, enough of your hate toward potus.  we know you aren't a fan but quit trolling those who may believe differently.  if potus were to walk out in the rose garden and say stop the stupidity and violence and it were heeded, you guys would still find the hate.  regardless of how hard you push your hate, you aren't going to change many(if any minds) especially during this.  all you guys did was move from criticizing his leadership on covid to now this...go to a meeting or something

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
and i'm not real invested in "fixing" the problem either. 

At least you are honest about you uncaring attitude. I guess it’s better than feigning interest.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
In a FB group I am in, a woman who works in a dental office in Minneapolis posted that basically the police appear to have gone on ‘strike’. She said that they do not appear to be under the control or command of either the mayor or the chief. She said they are upset that the four officers were immediately fired, and furious at comments by the governor and the mayor, and so they basically have gone on strike. People nowhere near the riot area  are boarding up.

If they are furious that the four were fired and are refusing to do their job, then they ALL fall under the heading of Bad Cops. If she is correct, fire them all.