[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ‘I Can’t Breathe’: 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired After Black Man Dies in Custody  (Read 34070 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers

An idea.  Stop worrying about what some dumba$$ celebrity does or what some 16 year old girl says.  Worry about fixing the problem.

As mentioned earlier, high profile black athletes who were peacefully protesting these issues, were booed, threatened and had their livelihood taken away.  So *that* didn't work.

So when is the problem going to be fixed instead of old, suburban white guys simply quoting MLK out of context and lecturing people on how they should protest?

As long as they don’t take a knee during the national anthem, I’m good with rioting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Oh boy.  The head of the house of Bourbon and pretend heir to the French throne is upset that the cititzens of Louisville damaged the King Louis XVI statue.

Louis de Bourbon, Duc d’Anjou
@louisducdanjou

https://twitter.com/louisducdanjou/status/1266578058452054016
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HutchwasClutch

• All American

If you mean getting rid of the rascist cops in these cities and the union that protects them, then yes.  I agree with you.

But I doubt that's what you mean.

Maybe Chauvin isn’t a racist, but was (thankful to use past tense) just a really bad cop, who got off on his authority?  I read he and Thao, the other fired cop in the video, had DOZENS of conduct complaints against them.  Maybe they didn’t discriminate against who they acted bad towards?  But this country always has to make a snap judgment on race long before any facts and evidence come out. 

I’m not for a minute saying he wasn’t racist, and his horrific actions Monday weren’t racially motivated, but no one in the public has any damn clue one way or the other yet.  We will find out the answer, but it’s not going to be for a while. 

Until then assuming only fans the flames.  And if it’s so, hate crime needs to be added to list of charges against him.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:49:01 AM by HutchwasClutch »

• All American
Maybe Chauvin isn’t a racist, but was (thankful to use past tense) just a really bad cop, who got off on his authority?  I read he and Thao, the other fired cop in the video, had DOZENS of conduct complaints against them.  Maybe they didn’t discriminate against who they acted bad towards?  But this country always has to make a snap judgment on race long before any facts and evidence come out. 

I’m not for a minute saying he wasn’t racist, and his horrific actions Monday weren’t racially motivated, but no one in the public has any damn clue one way or the other yet.  We will find out the answer, but it’s not going to be for a while. 

Until then assuming only fans the flames. 

This country also has a history of saying things like "well we don't know if he actually was racist" even though the evidence seems pretty clear he is.  Obviously these questions come about because we don't acknowledge racism exists in our institutions, and work to fix the problem.  So when you have bad cops, who aren't actual racists, killing black people they get labelled as racist.

Because we aren't dealing with the problem.

I will also point out the irony of all these "don't tread on me" types who were out in full force because they couldn't eat at an Applebees, are largely silent when someone who works for the government literally kills someone.

I wonder why?  Why aren't they invading the statehouse with their weapons brandished and hanging some in effigy over this issue?

It's a mystery.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
i doubt the police are against the firing of chauvin, probably to be followed by the other 3.  they should be greatfull as those 4 have cast all cops in a terrible light.  we have "bad people" involved in all aspects of our lives.  doctors, teachers,  fire, police.  either this "woman" is terribly misguided and has some bad info or the tear gas has gotten to her.  every sane person, regardless of their political persuasion could see the evil in those officers actions and inactions,  this is why it is so important for good cops to band together to weed out the bad ones as we can see what can happen when the bad ones actually do what bad cops do

https://www.wrbl.com/news/mississippi-mayor-who-didnt-see-anything-unreasonable-about-george-floyds-death-refuses-to-resign/

I wish you were right, but sadly, there are a lot of people out there that think what the police did was perfectly ok. In the heart of deep-red country mayor's even feel comfortable saying it out loud.

And there are a lot more than will publicly say, "this is terrible," but when around friends they speak the truth and are ok with this. They blame the victim, and defend the cops. Not sure how much time you've seen in the south, but it is definitely different than Milwaukee. Sadly, the mentality of the south has been spreading lately, and people who used to feel shame for their racist thoughts around the country, now feel empowered to speak up, and act outwards.

• All American
One of my favorite Twitter follows, by a former federal prosecutor who I would say is way more libertarian than liberal

FactNotStatementHat
@Popehat
I don’t understand why people don’t seek reasonable, peaceful change through orderly protest against a system that confers impunity for murdering them or through voting in a country that systematically tries to disenfranchise them.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
One of my favorite Twitter follows, by a former federal prosecutor who I would say is way more libertarian than liberal

FactNotStatementHat
@Popehat
I don’t understand why people don’t seek reasonable, peaceful change through orderly protest against a system that confers impunity for murdering them or through voting in a country that systematically tries to disenfranchise them.

That should hang in a museum
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WarriorDad

• All American
Just seems...interesting...for a guy who has never voted for anything but democrats in his entire life.

It is also interesting when I link NYT, CNN, Washington Post, NPR or other sources you and the other gentleman are quiet on the matter.

If one relies only on right leaning news, it will effect their views.  The same for left leaning news.  Bubble impressions.  Those of you on the harder left or harder right of things seem threatened or taken aback by someone who seeks information from multiple sources and isn’t a partisan. 

And as I continue to say, both parties have changed considerably from my youth.  Joe Manchin is a Democrat and so is Nancy Pelosi.  Are they the universally the same on the issues?  Joe Lieberman is different than Elizabeth Warren.  Both ran for President under the same party.  The same exercise can be done on the other side. 

Maybe broaden your perspective and it might open your eyes to how other people think and help make the world a better place in finding common ground.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
Are you a drug lord? What world do you live in where you need to on alert for people out to murder your family?

I own three fire extinguishers that are in the kitchen, garage and basement.  I have never needed to use them either.  I have them just in case.

How many home invasions each year are thwarted by homeowners with a weapon where not a single shot needs to be fired?  Look up the statistics, it will surprise you.
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American

Until then assuming only fans the flames.  And if it’s so, hate crime needs to be added to list of charges against him.

Perhaps it's best - and definitely more accurate, I think- to view what's happening now as a result of more than just Derek Chauvin's personal views on race. His actions, whatever the motivations, are just the straw that broke the camel's back and shouldn't  be viewed in a vacuum.
The protests and rioting are a result of years and years of unfair treatment and bad policing, not a single event. This isn't just about George Floyd. It's about Ahmed Arbery and Botham Jean and Philando Castile and Breona Taylor and Atantlanta Jefferson and Justine Ruszczyk and many, many others.

And in an odd twist, it appears Chauvin and George Floyd may have once been co-workers.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865803157/george-floyd-and-derek-chauvin-were-co-workers-says-former-club-owner

WarriorDad

• All American
Someone told the cops that the media is the enemy.

Someone told the people that the cops were the enemy.
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
How many home invasions each year are thwarted by homeowners with a weapon where not a single shot needs to be fired?  Look up the statistics, it will surprise you.

How do those statistics compare to the number of kids killed with a gun kept in the home for "protection"? Or the number of spouses/domestic partners? Or the number of suicides?

wadesworld

• All American
Good God Chicos. Seriously, just start a new damn thread when you need to respond to every single post that was made when you were sleeping.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
In a thread about a murdered, unarmed black man, this is your contribution.  Honestly, you're a douche.

There is an old adage when someone starts personal name calling they have lost the narrative.  Reminds of actions of an Orange guy who doesn’t get his way and throws insults out.  You can be better than this in my opinion.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
There is an old adage when someone starts personal name calling they have lost the narrative.  Reminds of actions of an Orange guy who doesn’t get his way and throws insults out.  You can be better than this in my opinion.

Nope. When there’s a thread about an unarmed black man being murdered while complying with police and you are drooling to come in and start up a gun debate I’ll call you for what you are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
Curious when the so called patriotic militias come rolling in to counter protest.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

Perhaps it's best - and definitely more accurate, I think- to view what's happening now as a result of more than just Derek Chauvin's personal views on race. His actions, whatever the motivations, are just the straw that broke the camel's back and shouldn't  be viewed in a vacuum.
The protests and rioting are a result of years and years of unfair treatment and bad policing, not a single event. This isn't just about George Floyd. It's about Ahmed Arbery and Botham Jean and Philando Castile and Breona Taylor and Atantlanta Jefferson and Justine Ruszczyk and many, many others.

And in an odd twist, it appears Chauvin and George Floyd may have once been co-workers.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865803157/george-floyd-and-derek-chauvin-were-co-workers-says-former-club-owner

Agreed. The systemic racism that has pervaded our law enforcement and criminal justice systems for years is a far bigger issue than whether Chauvin personally was a racist. That racism fueled the protests in Ferguson and Baltimore a few years back, and it is fueling protests in Minneapolis and elsewhere today.

Regarding the article, an interesting quote by the business owner about Chauvin: Santamaria also told the TV station that Chauvin "had a real short fuse," adding that he often pulled out mace and pepper spray when she thought it was unwarranted So maybe he was a racist, or maybe he was just someone who loved to play the tough guy...or possibly he was both. Tbd.

Hards Alumni

• All American
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lf_2JyXocY

I know he is a celebrity, but he's a very smart man.  8 minutes well worth your time.

MU82

• All American
Many who like Trump but don't want to be branded racists, sexists or homophobes for supporting him, say that they often don't like what he says but that they ignore his comments and twits. They say they pay attention to his policies, which they like.

In this case, "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" is policy.

He had the opportunity to try to de-escalate the situation. Instead, he fanned the flames of anger and violence. His response was not to try to calm things down but to send in the military to start shooting American citizens.

That is more than just a mindless twit, more than just a guy "not being P.C." That is a policy declaration from the President of the United States, delivered proudly, loudly and clearly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
From the twitter machine:

St. Paul, MN Mayor Melvin Carter says every person arrested in his city last night was from out of state.

Dangerous Fringes (of all political leanings) are tearing this country apart.

jesmu84

• All American
From the twitter machine:

St. Paul, MN Mayor Melvin Carter says every person arrested in his city last night was from out of state.

Dangerous Fringes (of all political leanings) are tearing this country apart.

That's nuts

MU82

• All American

I will also point out the irony of all these "don't tread on me" types who were out in full force because they couldn't eat at an Applebees, are largely silent when someone who works for the government literally kills someone.

I wonder why?  Why aren't they invading the statehouse with their weapons brandished and hanging some in effigy over this issue?

Very strong point, Sultan.

Here you have the government literally taking away freedoms, and they don't seem to mind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GBPhoenix1993

• Walk-On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lf_2JyXocY

I know he is a celebrity, but he's a very smart man.  8 minutes well worth your time.

I had never heard of the guy until yesterday, but I agree that was a very moving speech he gave.

jesmu84

• All American

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
In Milwaukee, police said an officer sustained a non-fatal gunshot wound while responded to the area of 200 West Locust Street. The 38-year-old officer is a 4-year veteran of the department. He was treated and expected to survive.

A Walgreens pharmacy appeared to be looted near Martin Luther King Drive and Locust Street; damage and spray paint could be seen on the outside of the building.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

feedback